Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Lady in the records office has always been lovely , same can't be said for her counterpart a few meters across in fees and grants :(

Gonna give it a shot though 'cos I really don't have the money to pay since I wasn't expecting it :S

This is the letter:

Exactly the same letter as the one I got!
    I'd say ring them and ask if you do have to pay the contribution seeing as you didn't last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

My orientation doesn't start until Wednesday the 18th but would ye recommend to go up the Monday the 16th and just check the college and maynooth out? Will most people be waiting up there for the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Anyone know if there is free parking, orientation week?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 keithconnolly

Anyone know if there is free parking, orientation week?

As far as I'm aware, the clamping/permit does not come into affect until the 30th of Sept.

Screen Shot 2013-09-02 at 18.30.56.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Parking enforcement starts on Sept. 30th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Studentlife

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    My orientation doesn't start until Wednesday the 18th but would ye recommend to go up the Monday the 16th and just check the college and maynooth out? Will most people be waiting up there for the week?

I think we will do PLENTY of hanging around on the days you have to be there. We'll be bored silly. But that is just my opinion. Registration takes two hours!! Yikes... I envisage a long long queue.

One another note.... Can anyone tell me if Computer Science & Software Engineering has many girls? I'm expecting it to be 90% male. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I think we will do PLENTY of hanging around on the days you have to be there. We'll be bored silly. But that is just my opinion. Registration takes two hours!! Yikes... I envisage a long long queue.

One another note.... Can anyone tell me if Computer Science & Software Engineering has many girls? I'm expecting it to be 90% male. Any ideas?

In First year it actually had quite a few girls! More males yeah, but you won't be alone, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I'm there with you in spirit :pac:

Maybe I should wait 'till the night before I need to register and pay to tell her just for added comedic effect you know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Varies a lot, in my own class there was only 2 with 30 guys, the year behind had 7-8 girls I think, the modules are mixed in with other science students as well though. Chances are you'll meet 4-5 from the csse class, hang around with them and eventually by fourth year meet everyone. Up until 3rd year I had only met half of my csse class.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Guys, I have to either drop Maths Physics or Exp. Physics. What are the advantages and disadvantages of dropping one over the other?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Guys, I have to either drop Maths Physics or Exp. Physics. What are the advantages and disadvantages of dropping one over the other?

Is there any chance you could tell me what they are both like in 1st year, I'm thinking of taking them both.

It depends on your personal preference. I hated labs and preferred the maths end of things so there was no competition for me.

decisions wrote: »
    Is there any chance you could tell me what they are both like in 1st year, I'm thinking of taking them both.

They are straight forward subjects in first year. If you are anyway decent at maths you will fly through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Maybe I should wait 'till the night before I need to register and pay to tell her just for added comedic effect you know :P

Ooohhh, that sounds like fun. You should so do that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Was going to say 2nd year EP is awful because of the dreaded 7.5 credit module but I just looked up the coursework and saw that they've changed it for this year and split it into two modules (5 & 2.5 credits). That would make it WAY more manageable. Now I'd say it depends on whether or not you like labs/which has the handier timetable and pick accordingly. (Bear in mind - there's no tutorials for EP in 2nd year.)

The thing is, I struggled with electrical circuits. I liked the EP labs, though. I didn't really pay attention in the EP tutorials, I used them to do assignments and lab reports.

As for MP, I liked that too, but I also had a few teething problems with friction.

Will we have to pay the €97 fee on Friday? I'm dreading that, because I only have €110 in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Will we have to pay the €97 fee on Friday? I'm dreading that, because I only have €110 in my account.

Wait, what? They're still charging that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Whats the idea behind the E Pub thing? Does everyone do it or is it just a survey? Only flicking through my handbook thingy now and I noticed it..

banquo wrote: »
    Wait, what? They're still charging that?

They charged it last year, I don't think they'd drop it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

What is this fee you speak of? o.o

• Advertisement

Right, so there's a History module that I want to do that has an extra cost of €600 (it's basically a week long field trip). I've just discovered that the payment deadline for the deposit was last Friday and I'm not even sure if there was extra registration for it.

What are the chances that I could still get in? It's a Second Semester module if that can help.

They charged it last year, I don't think they'd drop it this year.

It *should* be over with as of last year at the absolute latest. Long story, won't get into it here. Might look into this tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Like the college would give up getting more money out of students.

It's 100 Euro this year.

Well now.

/ends own discussion about it publicly

banquo wrote: »
    It's 100 Euro this year.

Well now.

/ends own discussion about it publicly

While I hate paying any money I'm actually kind of happier to see it at 100 instead of 97
    /OCD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

WHY IS IT SEPTEMBER?

STOP MOVING, TIME!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Right, so there's a History module that I want to do that has an extra cost of €600 (it's basically a week long field trip). I've just discovered that the payment deadline for the deposit was last Friday and I'm not even sure if there was extra registration for it.

What are the chances that I could still get in? It's a Second Semester module if that can help.

I reckon if you email the department they will be happy to take your money.
    These things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Can anyone tell me if Computer Science & Software Engineering has many girls? I'm expecting it to be 90% male. Any ideas?

Well I know at least 1 girl going into it. So, my answer is, at least 1...

Glad to be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

D_s wrote: »

Glad to be of help.

The gender balance is usually more males to females. But its gotten better in recent years.

I'd still expect it to be over 50% male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Studentlife

D_s wrote: »

Glad to be of help.

Thank you for the reply. :) Good to hear. It was just an afterthought yesterday that I may be seriously outnumbered. I can live with it though!! It's good to know I won't be completely alone in that regard though.

:)

Advertisement