Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

FYI, the Records Office can be awesomely helpful. Lots of snaps for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Anyone know if first year postgrads get a registration pack thing too? Instructions and so on. I believe there are forms to be filled but they appear to be well-buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

mickstupp wrote: »
    Anyone know if first year postgrads get a registration pack thing too? Instructions and so on. I believe there are forms to be filled but they appear to be well-buried.

Here's what the Grad studies site says:

What will I need at Registration?
    All First year postgraduate students are required to come in person and formally register for their course.
    Non NUIM Students are expected to submit a Birth Certificate/Valid passport and transcript of their Primary degree on PAC, and therefore, if in order will not be expected to bring these items to registration. Once registration is completed, students must proceed to the Registration Area, Humanity House, South Campus to pay fees or produce evidence of funding. A Student Identity card will be processed at that point.
    Prior to registration:
    When accepted onto a course by the University all new incoming students will receive email notification approximately two weeks prior to their assigned registration slot from the University Records Office about procedures for registration.
    Students must check the appropriate degree structures on the following link http://www.nuim.ie/courses/ for details of the subject / modules, to be taken, paying particular attention to optional modules available and any special instructions given.

At registration, the relevant modules for each course will be indicated on the registration screen. Students must register for the modules at this time.
    Details on Postgraduate Timetables, Postgraduate Handbooks and Departmental Induction are available here.
    When do I pay fees?
    Prior to registration, you will be sent a letter from the Fees & Grants Office of which will include a personal password to allow you to pay the relevant fee online at www.nuim.ie - scroll to the bottom of the page - quick links section and choose the student web services option - enter your student number and password - choose the online fee payment option then enter your card details and make the relevant payment. If you have any further queries please contact the Fees & Grants Office directly on 01-7084747, email Fee.office@nuim.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Right. Email notification two weeks beforehand. Well, I went rooting around and found a page referring to an Initial Meeting Record form, so that's apparently another thing that has to be done by some date. Considering the organisation of the site, I'm wondering what other forms are tucked away in obscure corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

mickstupp wrote: »
    Right. Email notification two weeks beforehand. Well, I went rooting around and found a page referring to an Initial Meeting Record form, so that's apparently another thing that has to be done by some date. Considering the organisation of the site, I'm wondering what other forms are tucked away in obscure corners.

Ha initial meeting record? I'm two years into my post grad and still haven't filled that out. Seriously don't worry. You go over to records they take your fees information and give you a shiny new student card and you are good to go. What department?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

To the people who replied with some helpful solutions to my problem, you guys know how to keep a mod happy

Upon closer inspection I found that it's the headphones themselves and not the laptop jack that are damaged....so thankfully I just need to replace the headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Thwip! wrote: »
    To the people who replied with some helpful solutions to my problem, you guys know how to keep a mod happy

Upon closer inspection I found that it's the headphones themselves and not the laptop jack that are damaged....so thankfully I just need to replace the headphones

These

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Enhanced-Hi-Fi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B00B8QCMHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377813271&sr=8-1&keywords=monoprice

or these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHL5605BK-10-CitiScape-Headphones/dp/B0077860KM/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1377813439&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=philips+downtown

or these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Premium-Hi-Fi-Style-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377813271&sr=8-2&keywords=monoprice

Would probably suit well! :)

The list goes on! Don't waste your money on crap :3

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I'm back and oh my god it feels good. In the house by myself until the 15th but I don't care as I'm not in Wexford anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Silly question, but:
    Will I be able to use the library before I've registered for my course?
    I'm going to be a repeat student, so I won't be registering before classes start back afaik, so will I be able to use the library, will I need to wait till I've registered or what's the craic?

Also, does anyone know if there's anything else that will be affected by registering late.. I'm guessing I'll have no Moodle access, but I've access to last years with all the notes on it already so I should be ok.. and in CSSE labs times are already assigned so I don't need to worry about that.. but is there anything else I'm not thinking of?
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

So jealous of everyone that gets to move up for college. Why oh why do I have to live just a ten minute drive away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Silly question, but:
    Will I be able to use the library before I've registered for my course?
    I'm going to be a repeat student, so I won't be registering before classes start back afaik, so will I be able to use the library, will I need to wait till I've registered or what's the craic?

Also, does anyone know if there's anything else that will be affected by registering late.. I'm guessing I'll have no Moodle access, but I've access to last years with all the notes on it already so I should be ok.. and in CSSE labs times are already assigned so I don't need to worry about that.. but is there anything else I'm not thinking of?
    :pac:

Unless there's something really specific to your course, you should be ok. You won't be able to access the library or Moodle (have they done away with that yet? It's a stupid rule and pretty discriminatory) but otherwise, practically, you're good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

banquo wrote: »
    Unless there's something really specific to your course, you should be ok. You won't be able to access the library or Moodle (have they done away with that yet? It's a stupid rule and pretty discriminatory) but otherwise, practically, you're good to go.

Should be able to get on Moodle. I was before I registered when I repeated iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Then you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What do the 2nd years do when we return? What sort of registration process do we go through?

What do the 2nd years do when we return? What sort of registration process do we go through?

You should be registering online on Friday. I'm pretty sure that an email was already sent out about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

So I forget from last year and I'm too lazy/disinterested atm to find out properly (aka its not last minute enough yet :P) but I was repeating last year but deferred in December and am going back to continue repeating this year. What do I need to register ?

Also I suppose I should call the fees office about this but I got a medical fee waiver but don't remember if it waived all the fees for both semesters or not so if it hasn't when/how do I pay the outstanding fees ?

I should really probably just bother myself to find the letter they sent me....

aaabbbb wrote: »
    So I forget from last year and I'm too lazy/disinterested atm to find out properly (aka its not last minute enough yet :P) but I was repeating last year but deferred in December and am going back to continue repeating this year. What do I need to register ?

Also I suppose I should call the fees office about this but I got a medical fee waiver but don't remember if it waived all the fees for both semesters or not so if it hasn't when/how do I pay the outstanding fees ?

I should really probably just bother myself to find the letter they sent me....

I can only answer for my situation but my fee waiver covers the full year.

Nevermind just found the letter there and the fees are waived for the year....

Turns out though I was so excited that I got the waiver when I first read the letter I misread / failed to notice that instead of tuition fees I'm liable for the student contribution charge/levy which I didn't have to pay last year.

Thing is the contribution is twice as much as what my tuition fees would be so with the fee waiver I infact have to pay more than I did last year just paying tuition fees GOD DAMIT. Mammy ain't gonna be happy when I have to tell her I need an extra surprise €1000 euro or so in less than 3 weeks....We'll leave it 'till tomorrow me thinks :S :pac:

Mammy ain't gonna be happy when I have to tell her I need an extra surprise €1000 euro or so in less than 3 weeks....We'll leave it 'till tomorrow me thinks :S :pac:

You should totally record that conversation XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

jubella wrote: »
    So jealous of everyone that gets to move up for college. Why oh why do I have to live just a ten minute drive away :(

Same, I feel like I'm missing out on part of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

daz801 wrote: »

Can't beat a bit of home cooking though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

daz801 wrote: »

I am in the same boat, 20 minute bus ride away :( going to become a master at stealing couches for the social nights to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Got you all beat - 2 buses totaling a 90 minute commute (hurts so much more knowing it's only 20 minutes by car).

In other news, sleep schedule = fúcked. Roll on the 23rd.

Nevermind just found the letter there and the fees are waived for the year....

Turns out though I was so excited that I got the waiver when I first read the letter I misread / failed to notice that instead of tuition fees I'm liable for the student contribution charge/levy which I didn't have to pay last year.

Thing is the contribution is twice as much as what my tuition fees would be so with the fee waiver I infact have to pay more than I did last year just paying tuition fees GOD DAMIT. Mammy ain't gonna be happy when I have to tell her I need an extra surprise €1000 euro or so in less than 3 weeks....We'll leave it 'till tomorrow me thinks :S :pac:

Give the fees office a ring and explain your situation fro last year and this year. May you won't have to?

I misread that last time too so it's not just you! :)

You should totally record that conversation XD

I'm glad you see my almost definite death sentence funny :eek: :pac:

She just got her tax bill today too and is NOT HAPPY so I'm seriously fecked :pac:

Give the fees office a ring and explain your situation fro last year and this year. May you won't have to?

I misread that last time too so it's not just you! :)

Might try that it's a longshot though....

Also I've never had much luck with the fees and grants most of the people I've dealt with in there were fairly rude and unclear with information or just didn't care and clearly hated their job and me for being there and making them work

Maybe this time though if I bat my eyelids more they'll be nicer :P

Can you still register without paying the student contribution ?

I know you can't get a student card but I already have one of those

Might try that it's a longshot though....

Also I've never had much luck with the fees and grants most of the people I've dealt with in there were fairly rude and unclear with information or just didn't care and clearly hated their job and me for being there and making them work

Maybe this time though if I bat my eyelids more they'll be nicer :P

Can you still register without paying the student contribution ?

I know you can't get a student card but I already have one of those

I don't know much about the Fees Office but the Records Office have been absolute legends when I've dealt with them!

It's worth a try to just ask what the situation is. If you were paying less last year I can't see how they could charge you more this year.

I'd say that letter you got is just a standard deferral letter. It sounds exactly like the one I got anyway.

I don't know much about the Fees Office but the Records Office have been absolute legends when I've dealt with them!

It's worth a try to just ask what the situation is. If you were paying less last year I can't see how they could charge you more this year.

I'd say that letter you got is just a standard deferral letter. It sounds exactly like the one I got anyway.

Lady in the records office has always been lovely , same can't be said for her counterpart a few meters across in fees and grants :(

Gonna give it a shot though 'cos I really don't have the money to pay since I wasn't expecting it :S

This is the letter:

• Advertisement

I'm glad you see my almost definite death sentence funny :eek: :pac:

She just got her tax bill today too and is NOT HAPPY so I'm seriously fecked :pac:

I'm there with you in spirit :pac:

Advertisement