Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

+1 on the comments on the ticketing box office.

I bought 2 tickets last Sun week for collection at the ticket office, and despite going there last Weds and Thurs, I was told 'The computer is down'. After waiting over 20 mins both times, I left and came back on Friday. I had to wait for another 20 mins while they located someone who knew how to use the computer.

If you've bought tickets, don't leave it till the last moment to collect them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is now 3pm. They are 120 Nautical Miles out and travelling at 12 Nautical Miles an hour....so looks like 1AM finish ( off the prom) and into the docks 30 mins later....earlier if they speed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

anyone have info on if your allowed bring you own beers into the open air gigs?

brembo26 wrote: »
    anyone have info on if your allowed bring you own beers into the open air gigs?

You wont be let past security if they see you carrying drink but if you can conceal it for getting in, once your inside there is no problem getting away with it in the middle of the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

cheers thanks! must fish out a backpack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Leading boats through the Blasket Sound now at 16:45.

Less than 100 nautical Miles to go !

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Outside

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Outside wrote: »

New ? That was posted at 9am ! I reckon earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

hey, the wifey is all disappointed, she was salivating at the notion of noshing into a pie from piemiester or one of the pie vans, are they back this time?, we were down at the docks and the village earlier and didn't see them :/

would've loved to have seen the leaders pass through the Blasket Sound from Dunquin, would've been a gorgeous sight as they'd have had to slow it down through those shallows, roll on 2am!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

jkforde wrote: »
    hey, the wifey is all disappointed, she was salivating at the notion of noshing into a pie from piemiester or one of the pie vans, are they back this time?, we were down at the docks and the village earlier and didn't see them :/

would've loved to have seen the leaders pass through the Blasket Sound from Dunquin, would've been a gorgeous sight as they'd have had to slow it down through those shallows, roll on 2am!

there is a pie place behind the harbour hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Some job done on the Famine memorial. The stonework is very uneven in four or five places and half the bricks around border have chips and the corners gone off them. Presumable they came that way.

Not sure if it was rushed, done by amateurs or both but it looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Rough panoramic view today.

D03AAC5052674F8CB43A991695254C9D-0000324460-0002916555-01024L-6923B62ED3284254A4609D34595CFE24.jpg

My rough calculations are 42 NM left. So at their current speed they should be off Spiddal at 10.45pm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What time are Thin Lizzy on, would i be right in thinking around 930, no interest in the other crowd that are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

What time are Thin Lizzy on, would i be right in thinking around 930, no interest in the other crowd that are on.

Listed as 8.30 - 10.00

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

according to volvo eta is between 1 and 2am. does anyone know if the fireworks are on for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

muskyj wrote: »
    according to volvo eta is between 1 and 2am. does anyone know if the fireworks are on for tonight?

fireworks are on 4th July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

425442_10150930598437083_1661002211_n.jpg

The Top Gear type challenge where a car was racing the boats from Lorient to Galway continues... Loser buys the drinks !

Looks like the car drivers will not have to buy that round of drinks for the 66 sailors !

Click the Google map icon top left of tracker screen

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

"Latest updates on Fleet ETA to Galway!

1st boat expected to cross finish line in Gaway Harbour at approx. 1am & Dockside at 2:15 am!

Bring your sunglasses and a smile - Bonfires will be lit the whole route in from the Aran Islands ;)"

Tempting....anyone heading down?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

marinetraffic not showing them yet, but some of the boats are shown on the commissioner of Irish Lights' website:

http://cilpublic.cil.ie/aisdatafeed/charting.aspx#tabs-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Brad768 wrote: »

1st boat expected to cross finish line in Gaway Harbour at approx. 1am & Dockside at 2:15 am!

Bring your sunglasses and a smile - Bonfires will be lit the whole route in from the Aran Islands ;)"

I might yeah, what would be the best vantage point? And where will the bonfires be?

Brad768 wrote: »

1am looks way out - they are approaching Aran !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I guess they will hang around as the dock gates just closed and wont open until 2am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are off Aran and due around 12:30 am at the finish line and perhaps 11:45pm in Spiddal.

If you want to see them in real time they will appear on the ShipAIS live tracker some time between now and around 9:30pm .

Here is the correct link > http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=250002417

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The volvo race tracker has them at 2am now.
    It's usually been fairly accurate to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Here a link for a live webcam on Galway harbour its pretty good quality to have a gawk at whats happening around there

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/ireland/Galway-Harbour/Galway-City/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Discodog wrote: »
    1am looks way out - they are approaching Aran !
    can you see them? they still look a good way off on the rce tracker

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I guess they will hang around as the dock gates just closed and wont open until 2am.

Exactly. People are confusing the race finish time & arrival in the docks.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are off Aran and due around 12:30 am at the finish line and perhaps 11:45pm in Spiddal.

If you want to see them in real time they will appear on the ShipAIS live tracker some time between now and around 9:30pm .

Here is the correct link > http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=250002417

They haven't shown on AIS during the whole run & they are not showing on the main AIS site now.

I make them about 33 miles from Spiddal so at 14 knots they get there at 11.15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Discodog wrote: »
    They haven't shown on AIS during the whole run & they are not showing on the main AIS site now.

They showed up for around half hour this morning but nothing since, cant understand why they turn it off, more than likely so the other boats dont know where they are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement