Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You don't need the AIS tracker.
    There's one on the Volvo site.
    http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/racetracker/rdc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They showed up for around half hour this morning but nothing since, cant understand why they turn it off, more than likely so the other boats dont know where they are

If you read back Rob A Bank said that they can run in stealth mode but he reckoned that it was banned for the run in. There are quite a few small boats heading out, add in the mist :eek:

The visibility is getting worse & rain is on the way. But .... the wind seems to be freshening :D

You don't need the AIS tracker.
    There's one on the Volvo site.

Make sure you click on "Live" otherwise it's well out !

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

i cannot find it ... can someone post the link for me - thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

so the docks for 2am then.... about 4 boats will prob arrive in together due o the delay on account of the low tide.

• Advertisement

holly8 wrote: »
    i cannot find it ... can someone post the link for me - thx!

There isn't an ETA on Volvos's site - well there is but they can't be arsed to update it. You have to use the tracker as mentioned above.

Just started drizzling here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Discodog wrote: »
    There isn't an ETA on Volvos's site - well there is but they can't be arsed to update it. You have to use the tracker as mentioned above.

Just started drizzling here :(

thanks! glued to it on the tracker .. wonder what time we should go to Spiddal to see them pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Make sure you click on "Live" otherwise it's well out !

After you click on the link below, look for a task bar above the map with the word "Leg 9" written to the left of it (in large letters on a red background). Just beside that (to the left hand side of "Leg 9"), you will see the word "Live" : click on that and you'll get the up-to-date positions of all the yachts.

Underneath the map, you will see another task bar with a minus and a plus sign - +. If you click on them, you'll see where the yachts are in relation to Aran.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

About half hour away from the Northern tip of Inishmore realistically they could be in Galway in around an hour and half if they wanted to.

holly8 wrote: »
    thanks! glued to it on the tracker .. wonder what time we should go to Spiddal to see them pass?

My current guess is the will reach Spiddal at 11.15pm but that may change.

The visibility is virtually nil at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Groupama seem to be currently taking the lead (in this leg), all they need is to come 4th and to not come last in the in port race to win it outright. Traveling at about 14 knots, the winds seem to be favoring them.

As previously mentioned, the race finish is not the docks, so will be a delay between them, but fireworks are due to go off to signal the first boat to cross the finish line. Looking forward to it.

Funk It;79523837] lead  fireworks are due to go off to signal the first boat to cross the finish line.

Tell you one thing if you see fireworks in the bay with the visibility so bad you are doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

After you click on the link below, look for a task bar above the map with the word "Leg 9" written to the left of it (in large letters on a red background). Just beside that (to the left hand side of "Leg 9"), you will see the word "Live" : click on that and you'll get the up-to-date positions of all the yachts.

Underneath the map, you will see another task bar with a minus and a plus sign - +. If you click on them, you'll see where the yachts are in relation to Aran.

and turn on the Lat Long grid as well, it's handy when comparing distances. it must be great fun to be on deck in perfect race conditions and looking forward to a couple of pints....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Tell you one thing if you see fireworks in the bay with the visibility so bad you are doing well

If I remember correctly from last time, they had fireworks pretty close to the docks a while before the boats came in.

I'm thinking of watching it from Silver Strand or somewhere between Gentian Hill and Barna - any thoughts as to where the best vantage posts might be?

jkforde wrote: »
    and turn on the Lat Long grid as well, it's handy when comparing distances. it must be great fun to be on deck in perfect race conditions and looking forward to a couple of pints....

Also you have to zoom in to get a real idea of position. The un-zoomed image shows them at the 10 degree line. Zoom in & they are still quite short of it.

Puma seem to be ahead at the moment. But it's all to play for...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Just had a very quick look at the tracker. How come 2 of the boats seem to be going somewhere completely different?

7 nautical miles to Inishmore

7 nautical miles to Inishmore
    About a half an hour's sailing...?

• Advertisement

Puma seem to be ahead at the moment. But it's all to play for...

We won't be waiting for ages for the second & third like last time. Nice that they will be actually racing in the bay.

They are now showing up on marine traffic

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Isn't this the sort of stuff that Galway Bay is MADE for - yacht racing/boat racing/water sports...

It's wonderful how so many people will be getting out of bed to hit the docks in the early hours of the morning.

This is exciting!

Isn't this the sort of stuff that Galway Bay is MADE for - yacht racing/boat racing/water sports...

It's wonderful how so many people will be getting out of bed to hit the docks in the early hours of the morning.

This is exciting!

Agree completely yet used so little and Galway City Council ban Jet Skis Speed Boats in the Bay, load of bo...cks

They should be promoting marine leisure not banning it

They are now showing up on marine traffic

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Only Camper is showing - I think the Volvo tracker might be a safer. The wind has picked up a lot more here.

Only Camper is showing - I think the Volvo tracker might be a safer. The wind has picked up a lot more here.

Groupama showing on my pc and Camper, now Mar Mostro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

the AIS updates seem to be irregular depending on the boat (is the AIS signal very weak, affected by atmospheric moisture?), Camper just shot past Puma or else they got a fierce gust behind them! :eek: ;)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Groupama showing on my pc and Camper, now Mar Mostro

Just listening to the Coastguard radio. They seem to be going out to meet the fleet. Lots of other small boats around as well.

Camper has now overtaken Puma...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

Would you be able to see the yachts pass the finish line from salthill tonight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement