Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free banking rules in AIB changed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

There are a lot of people like me who can't leave :( It gets very depressing knowing you are going to clobbered with charges and there isn't a thing you can do about it :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Vahevala wrote: »
    There are a lot of people like me who can't leave :( It gets very depressing knowing you are going to clobbered with charges and there isn't a thing you can do about it :(:(
    Why can't you leave?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Why can't you leave?

Have an overdraft and an existing loan so as I can't pay either off, I have to stay..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Could try to apply for loan from UB to pay off overdraft on account and you can still then move and have the loans with aib. Speak with UB.

Have an overdraft and an existing loan so as I can't pay either off, I have to stay..
    UB might have an option to transfer the overdraft to them, ask them. The loan isn't an issue

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    UB might have an option to transfer the overdraft to them, ask them. The loan isn't an issue

It is, because the loan is debited from my AIB account. I also have a credit card with AIB. It is all there in my AIB account online.

Not everyone can move these days..

It is, because the loan is debited from my AIB account. I also have a credit card with AIB. It is all there in my AIB account online.

So once you move your current account change the debit so it comes from UB. UB have a switcher team which will do all that automatically

you can keep credit cards with aib. there's no new charges on them (I'm keeping mine there). And it'll be free to pay them off from UB online transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm closing my AIB account next week. Card is staying there for a bit.

There's absolutely no obligation to have a current account with the same bank that provides your credit card (its handier for most but nothing stopping you moving)

Dodge wrote: »
    I'm closing my AIB account next week. Card is staying there for a bit.

There's absolutely no obligation to have a current account with the same bank that provides your credit card (its handier for most but nothing stopping you moving)

The overdraft would stop me moving as I can't see Ulster bank willing to let me transfer that and AIB happy to lose this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

I got the switcher pack forms from UB, I had to double check with BOI that if I closed my current acc would I be able to keep open my credit cards, which they confirmed that I can. So switching to UB next week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The overdraft would stop me moving as I can't see Ulster bank willing to let me transfer that and AIB happy to lose this?

Worth a call to Ulster bank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yes you can set up direct debits. It is just like having an internet account. I plan to have my AIB mortgage payments debited from the KeyTrade account.

I checked this out with ESB Electric Ireland.

ESB restrict direct debits to sort codes that start with 9 (i.e. Irish sort codes). Hence, KeyTrade is not compatible with Irish utility companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Fungus wrote: »
    Yes you can set up direct debits. It is just like having an internet account. I plan to have my AIB mortgage payments debited from the KeyTrade account.

I checked this out with ESB Electric Ireland.

ESB restrict direct debits to sort codes that start with 9 (i.e. Irish sort codes). Hence, KeyTrade is not compatible with Irish utility companies.
    What was the reasoning behind that I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Proof of address

- Electoral register.

Nevore wrote: »
    What was the reasoning behind that I wonder?

Minimise cost to ESB. So much for a single European market for banking.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Proof of address

- Electoral register.

I wouldn't accept the register of electors as proof of address as it's possible to be on the register at one address but live somewhere else.
    You could have moved home and not removed yourself from the register nor might the new owners/tenents

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I wouldn't accept the register of electors as proof of address as it's possible to be on the register at one address but live somewhere else.
    You could have moved home and not removed yourself from the register nor might the new owners/tenents

The address on the electoral register needs to match the address provided on the account opening form.

Same as the address on whatever verification document needs to match the address provided on the account opening form.

The address on the electoral register needs to match the address provided on the account opening form.

Same as the address on whatever verification document needs to match the address provided on the account opening form.

Was your proof of address comment in reply to someone? I thought it was a query.

Was your proof of address comment in reply to someone? I thought it was a query.

Sorry - I wasn't clear.

It was in response to a previous poster who was wondering about utility bills being in other tenants' names. Obviously not acceptable so I was suggesting that the electoral register might be an option

• Advertisement

Sorry - I wasn't clear.

It was in response to a previous poster who was wondering about utility bills being in other tenants' names.

Cool, no worries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Minimise cost to ESB. So much for a single European market for banking.

It will be implemented from the start of 2014 AFAIK. There will be a lot more competition/mergers from that date on I think.

Nermal wrote: »
    It will be implemented from the start of 2014 AFAIK. There will be a lot more competition/mergers from that date on I think.

Wasn't SEPA introduced on January 1st 2012 that was supposed to help create a single market? What is the name of legislation that will be effective from January 1st 2014? Will the proposed legislation force Irish utility companies to allow direct debits from an European bank?

The sooner Irish consumers can choose any European bank, the sooner real competition begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Elessar wrote: »
    Looks like it's true. NIB will be charging fees and forcing customers to change to different accounts :mad: But it looks like they're all heading the same way, including Ulster Bank:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/national-irish-bank-ends-feefree-banking-on-all-current-accounts-3038435.html

The NIB situation is particularly galling, as the level of charges being introduced are very high if you don't change to one of the premium accounts. The accounts being changed over are all of the low-end accounts that would have been mainly for low to middle income earners, leaving the only alternatives as the premium accounts. Whats most annoying is that the fees imposed on the 24x7 "basic" account is actually higher than the fees on the premium accounts, which essentially attacks those least likely to meet the acceptance criteria for the premium accounts. And having to change all of your direct debits etc is a nuisance many will pay a higher fee to avoid - very underhand and exploitative of NIB. A shame for a bank who previously looked after the customer. A real step back to the dirty, underhand bank of the days of Beverly Cooper Flynn and bogus offshore accounts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Could try to apply for loan from UB to pay off overdraft on account and you can still then move and have the loans with aib. Speak with UB.

This has clearly been written by somebody who has never experienced the joy of having such an experience of having an overdraft and multiple borrowings in arrears. No bank will even look at your application, especially if you are out of work. In my case I couldn't get a cent of credit for about 2 years, even though I'd paid most things off completely. That was at the height of the boom, I can only imagine the hell it must be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Wasn't SEPA introduced on January 1st 2012 that was supposed to help create a single market? What is the name of legislation that will be effective from January 1st 2014? Will the proposed legislation force Irish utility companies to allow direct debits from an European bank?

The sooner Irish consumers can choose any European bank, the sooner real competition begins.

I agree. I couldn't actually tell you the legislation I'm afraid. I do know that national payment schemes (and our non-SEPA DD scheme is one) are to be shut down from 2014, so SEPA DD will obviously need to be in place from then.

shoegirl wrote: »
    This has clearly been written by somebody who has never experienced the joy of having such an experience of having an overdraft and multiple borrowings in arrears. No bank will even look at your application, especially if you are out of work. In my case I couldn't get a cent of credit for about 2 years, even though I'd paid most things off completely. That was at the height of the boom, I can only imagine the hell it must be now.

Have to agree with you on this one. I would have no chance of getting a loan, they would tell me to get stuffed.. in recent months, I have applied for a credit card and once they see that I have an overdraft. It is a firm thanks but no thanks. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭wailim_2002

Elessar wrote: »
    I haven't been charged any fees with NIB. I'm on their FreeBank a/c which is a good few years old (before they were bought by Danske Bank). I wonder if they will apply to me? Any other freebank customers here?

I bet my bottom dollar Ulster will start charging fees soon.

I agree -- I have NIB's Freebank current account and have not been charged fees since I moved to them in 2004!

However I have been contemplating a move due to their ridiculous "Cashless Bank" position and their soon to be "Chequeless Bank" position. I also did not like how difficult it is to get a Bank draft from them! (It has to be ordered specially)

The Note we got in the door revealing this new "small point" about fees was hilarious.... "We are a great bank etc etc...".... Page 2.... "On June 1st you will be moved from Freebank Current a/a to Not-Freebank a/c ... This will just be €4.95 + fees and represents great value".

Why on earth didn't they just write a note stating "Regrettfully we will be abolishing free banking?"

Anyhow, fees include every debit card transaction = 20c!!

Also, the 24/7 account they picked is not a match as it doesn't have a chequebook facility! The next account up that does have chequebook facility is €18.95 per quarter + FEES.

I agree the other banks seem to be charging too but there is no way I intend to stay with NIB and pay for a cashless / chequeless bank with too few branches whereby you have to queue at the post office for ages to deposit cash or cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Openen my account with boi as i would get free banking going by their current rules. The guy who opened the account asked why i was switching, when i told him he asked what would i do if they changed their conditions, i told him i'd leave! Cant say it was straight forward but ill get through it. The reason they dont do online current account set up is so they can get you in to the bank for a life insurance sales pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

For anyone who is thinking of switching their account to Ulster Bank i would advice to go in person, with photo ID, and any bill, or revenue letter. This would speed the process up a lot. Online applications end up with need to go to branch in person, anyway. Visa debit card is great, and free banking, including any atms in Ireland. Even got credit card, with fairly low limit, but as a foreigner with six months history with them, couldn't complain. Also Regular saver account, with good return rate, is available for free, and you can move money between both accounts online. Hope they keep up to their standards, to beat the competition up.

PS Branches opened on Saturday mornings! What a difference!

Advertisement