Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free banking rules in AIB changed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Andyfromclare

Like everyone here, I was annoyed to at the AIB fees.

Im based in the UK but have a house in Ireland. Living in the UK makes me realise how bad the Irish have it in terms of banking and current accounts. The AIB's fees are so confusing.

Anyway, I tried to apply to Ulster Ireland for my Euro account and was told that since Im a non resident, I wasnt allowed an account.

I then discovered Key Trade Bank in Belgium which is open to all non residents. They pay over 2% on savings and havev a good rate for current account. They have no fees and your deposit is guaranteed under a deposit scheme up to Eur100k.

They give you a cheque book and debit card but not sure how expensive it is to withdraw from an Irish ATM (Key Trade charge no fees).

It is not suitable for everyone particularly if you feel you need a local bank but for non-residents its ideal. If you feel you can cope with an internet bank account then this may suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Odd. I moved accounts with my Passport and a Three Ireland mobile bill, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

thebiglad wrote: »
    I am with BOI and very easy to avoid a charge - the other option (which is also under your link) is 9 debit transactions quarterly - this is easy to achieve with online banking. At worst you just pay your credit card via online banking with 3 payments each month.

Sure folk'll see it as hassle but the point is that it is very easy to avoid the fees.

Im with BOI and was hit with the qtr charge for the 1st time last qtr. I wasn't aware of the charges and when I rang them they told me about the 9 debit transaction you mentioned above. I made 9 online debit transactions to my credit card this qtr, and surprise surprise was charged the qtr fees again. I'll ring them later today to find out why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

flowerific wrote: »
    Im with BOI and was hit with the qtr charge for the 1st time last qtr. I wasn't aware of the charges and when I rang them they told me about the 9 debit transaction you mentioned above. I made 9 online debit transactions to my credit card this qtr, and surprise surprise was charged the qtr fees again. I'll ring them later today to find out why this is.

And you had 3000 moving into the account over the quarter?
    http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/current-accounts/standard-current-account/
    To qualify for (no fees) this offer in the fee quarter you can either:

1. Lodge at least €3,000 in your Personal Current account AND make 9 debit payments from that account using 365 Phone and/or Online over the course of a fee quarter (This is the equivalent of a €1,000 net salary lodgement and 3 payments per month). Payments made by standing order or direct debit do not qualify as 365 Phone and/or Online payments for the purpose of this offer.

OR

2. Maintain a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your Personal Current account throughout the full fee quarter. Please refer to our Schedule of Fees and Charges for specific dates for our fee quarters.

Lodgements received and payments made after cut off times or anytime on a non-banking day (i.e. Saturday, Sunday or bank/public holiday) may not be reflected in the account until the following working day. There are different cut off times for different transactions. Please contact your branch for details. Our No Transaction Fees Offer is based upon the overnight balance that appears on your regular statement. There may be a difference between this balance and other sources of balance information available such as ATM, online, phone, or branch printed statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

cookie1977 wrote: »
    And you had 3000 moving into the account over the quarter?
    http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/current-accounts/standard-current-account/

No I thought it was 3000 Or 9 transations. going down to Ulsterbank today to change bank accounts

• Advertisement

AIB called me today, trying to coax me into setting up a savings account. I told the rep (as nicely as possible) that I'm reconsidering my options due to this change. He completely blanked it and carried on with a sales pitch for a savings account. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

flowerific wrote: »
    No I thought it was 3000 Or 9 transations. going down to Ulsterbank today to change bank accounts

You should call to BOI first & explain your situation they may refund you, a friend of mine did this last quarter & got a once off refund!
    Worth a try!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think I have an old AIB account with a small deposit - if I leave this open with no activity as before - will AIB charges apply? Or is it better just to close it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aoife0102

d1980 wrote: »
    It actually won't or should I say it wasnt the case for me. I am moving from AIB and went to UB yesterday morning. I had my drivers licence and passport as well as a print out of 2 on-line bills for Gas and electricity. As they were pdf print outs, they would not accept them. They wanted originals and as I have tv, phone, internet, gas, electricity, and credit card all set up for on-line billing I could not provide them with 'originals' so I walked out. I will move to BOI now instead....The girl in front of me had a similar issue.

The reason UB or any bank for that matter cannot accept pdfs is because due to fraud/ self edited bills > the bank have to original sight the originals. This is a regulation by the central bank of Ireland. The companies should be able to provide you with a statement with 3 days.

Ulster bank should have accepted valid in date driving license as address proof (provided it had the current add on it) & the passport as photo id. thats all they needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aoife0102

jonevin wrote: »
    Do you definitley need two forms of photo i.d to open an ulster bank account? I only have one

a cousin works in a branch.

it is simplier if you go into a branch you only need 1 form of address and 1 form of photo id.

in person (not online appls) the bank needs 2 forms of id:
    1 address : bank statement (not same bank i.e. not ub statement if have a/c already) dated within the last 6 months with current address or credit card bill or tax credits official bill or utility bill in own name>except mobile phone bills (as the bank cannot prove if this mobile bought was for the person themselves or a phone bought as a gift and the bill borrowed) or simply if you are on the ELECTORAL registar.
    1 form of photographic id: valid passport or irish/Uk NI driving license or an ML10 form from a garda station with 2 passport sized photos.

the bank are only allowed to accept specfic id according to the regulation by the central bank of Ireland.

if you have direct debit/ standing orders you need to book an appointment. if you dont there is no need. they have their own switcher team.

• Advertisement

Aoife0102 wrote: »
    it is simplier if you go into a branch you only need 1 form of address and 1 form of photo id.

in person (not online appls) the bank needs 2 forms of id:
    1 address : bank statement (not same bank i.e. not ub statement if have a/c already) dated within the last 6 months with current address or credit card bill or tax credits official bill or utility bill in own name>except mobile phone bills (as the bank cannot prove if this mobile bought was for the person themselves or a phone bought as a gift and the bill borrowed) or simply if you are on the ELECTORAL registar.
    1 form of photographic id: valid passport or irish/Uk NI driving license or an ML10 form from a garda station with 2 passport sized photos.

the bank are only allow to accept specfic id according to the regulation by the central bank of Ireland.

Yes. The rules were tightened up severely in recent years due to new legislation targeting money laundering.

gozunda wrote: »
    I think I have an old AIB account with a small deposit - if I leave this open with no activity as before - will AIB charges apply? Or is it better just to close it?

if it's a current or cashsave account you will be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Just made an appointment with UB for Sat morning, how neat is that Sat morning and they're open :D.....I have four accounts with AIB and am changing the whole lot over to UB, mortgage is with them already....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Got my application in the post this morning. It looked like I only needed one form of I.D.

I have to give two documents of type 'A'. This was proof of identity and my name on a bill/bank statement.

Then a document from type 'B'. This was proof of address.

Sent it off anyway. Here's hoping I'm accepted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Got my application in the post this morning. It looked like I only needed one form of I.D.

I have to give two documents of type 'A'. This was proof of identity and my name on a bill/bank statement.

Then a document from type 'B'. This was proof of address.

Sent it off anyway. Here's hoping I'm accepted.

Do you know if the proof of address has to be in your name (I.e. type B?)
    I live with lads and the ESB/GAS/UPC is in their name.

I have Meteor bill coming to there but they don't accept mobile phone bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

With Ulster Bank about 5 years now, have not a bad word to say about them, never any issues. The app for the phone is great too and the online service is excellent. Plus a nice touch was the Visa Debit card they issued me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

tunedout wrote: »
    Do you know if the proof of address has to be in your name (I.e. type B?)
    I live with lads and the ESB/GAS/UPC is in their name.

I have Meteor bill coming to there but they don't accept mobile phone bills.

I'm guessing it does. I used a bank statement from AIB.

Unless you're able to get a copy of some rental agreement that says you're all living with each other, then use one of the bills in somebody else's name.

msg11 wrote: »
    With Ulster Bank about 5 years now, have not a bad word to say about them, never any issues. The app for the phone is great too and the online service is excellent. Plus a nice touch was the Visa Debit card they issued me.

That looks like a great card. Better than using the O2 card and having transfer charges on it. Can't wait to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

cookie1977 wrote: »
    if it's a current or cashsave account you will be charged.

Is a cashsave account the same as a current account with AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Like everyone here, I was annoyed to at the AIB fees.

Im based in the UK but have a house in Ireland. Living in the UK makes me realise how bad the Irish have it in terms of banking and current accounts. The AIB's fees are so confusing.

Anyway, I tried to apply to Ulster Ireland for my Euro account and was told that since Im a non resident, I wasnt allowed an account.

I then discovered Key Trade Bank in Belgium which is open to all non residents. They pay over 2% on savings and havev a good rate for current account. They have no fees and your deposit is guaranteed under a deposit scheme up to Eur100k.

They give you a cheque book and debit card but not sure how expensive it is to withdraw from an Irish ATM (Key Trade charge no fees).

Can you set up direct debits to a KeyTrade current account?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

moving to tsb, ulster or boi, this is rip off...
    how can student have 60e on his acc... looolll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Carne wrote: »
    Is a cashsave account the same as a current account with AIB?

It will attract charges like a Personal Bank Account / Plus - the only difference is Cashsave doesn't have the €4.50 maintenance fee and doesn't allow chequebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Just switched to Ulster Bank there after 15 years with AIB. Thats 100 euro a year better off in my pocket thanks you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I want to close my AIB current account in branch. Do I need to put it in writing or can they do it there and then? Do also have to return my cheque book?

Thanks! :)

You need to put it in writing to your branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

genie wrote: »
    I want to close my AIB current account in branch. Do I need to put it in writing or can they do it there and then? Do also have to return my cheque book?

Thanks! :)

I just walked in told them i wanted to close my account, they gave me something to sign, took my card and cut it in half and that was it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Does anyone know when the AIB quarterly charges become payable?

ie is Jan-Mar, Apr-June etc or does it depend when an account was opened?

Chargeable quarter is june to September's 2012

As in billed in September for june-august

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I just walked in told them i wanted to close my account, they gave me something to sign, took my card and cut it in half and that was it

Same here or be it years ago.

I dont think putting it in writing is always required.

Well by signing there and then you are putting it in writing. I just meant you can close it over the phone or by email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Andyfromclare

Fungus wrote: »
    Can you set up direct debits to a KeyTrade current account?

Yes you can set up direct debits. It is just like having an internet account. I plan to have my AIB mortgage payments debited from the KeyTrade account.

Advertisement