Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free banking rules in AIB changed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I applied online, but at the end had to go to the branch. I think they wanted to see my id, not sure if they can accept photocopies sent through the post... It was some time ago, and i had no credit history in Ireland at that time, so your case may be different.
    Only saying that going in person is much qicker way to open one.
    As you applied online, branch visit will be very quick, as they already have all the details on file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

i agree that it looks like ulster are going to e bringing in charges.
    all they have to do is out out a press release that they will definitely not be bringing in charges and they would surely take most of the current accounts in the country off of the other banks. no brainer.
    they fact they have not issued that press release says to me that they cannot issue it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

They would like to keep their options open for the future. It makes sense for them not to make a press release like that. Look at it this way.

Let's say 50k people switch to Ulster bank from AIB. Down the road in 6 months time Ulster bring in fees for current account. A lot of people are going to say to themselves "**** it, all the banks are charging fees now so what's the point in switching to another?"

You will get some people who will switch to online accounts like some mentioned above but I would say the safe money will be with about 30 - 40k people who switched would remain Ulster bank customers because all banks will have fees at that stage and it will be unavoidable unless you go online only.

Ulster win more this way as they will have taken AIB's customers and then got to be the last bank to introduce fees so they can make money from fees as people are less likely to leave them.

This thread alone is proof. Most people are only switching to Ulster because it's free fees. I don't see many switching to BOI. NIB was mentioned until it was pointed out they have fees. It's in Ulster bank's best interests to say nothing except continue as they are with people knowing that the have fee free banking currently available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Really sorry if this has been asked before, but:

1. Is it possible to keep the aib (click) credit card if i leave them.
    2. Is it possible to set up a DD from Ulster to pay the aib (click) CC off every month.
    3. Is the Ulster Visa Debit accepted everywhere that a visa CC is accepted (anywhere with visa logo online, paypal etc).
    4. How does Ulster's internet/phone banking compare with AIB's.
    5. What's the likelihood of Ulster introducing fees.

Edit: 6. Is it possible to leave your AIB account open with say 1 euro in it and not transact on it. Or are there other fees (maintenance fees?).

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Really sorry if this has been asked before, but:

1. Is it possible to keep the aib (click) credit card if i leave them.
    2. Is it possible to set up a DD from Ulster to pay the aib (click) CC off every month.
    3. Is the Ulster Visa Debit accepted everywhere that a visa CC is accepted (anywhere with visa logo online, paypal etc).
    4. How does Ulster's internet/phone banking compare with AIB's.
    5. What's the likelihood of Ulster introducing fees.

Edit: 6. Is it possible to leave your AIB account open with say 1 euro in it and not transact on it. Or are there other fees (maintenance fees?).

Thanks.

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. It does the job.
    5. High risk for brand new customers as at some stage in the future. Medium to low risk for 'Step' customers as the product is advertised as a product with "transaction fee-free banking".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Man I've had the UB forms at home for ages now, need to get this done this week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 prestigio1977

I've since switched to Bank of Ireland, easy enough, most DDs seemed to be transferred without problems, the bank did that for me, which was great. No fees once you have €3000 going through your account (doesn't have to be left in) and you do 9 online transactions in a quarter. So far so good anyway, but no guarantee that there won't be fees in the future, as with any bank. But for now, I'm avoiding the AIB charges, so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Opened boi account in 1 day, should be able to close my account at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Opened boi account in 1 day, should be able to close my account at the end of the month.

Best to close before the date fees start which is towards the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Fees begin 28th may

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is it possible to convert an AIB current account to a demand deposit and still use online banking? Would it attract charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Submitted the transfer forms, I should have my AIB account closed by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is it possible to convert an AIB current account to a demand deposit and still use online banking? Would it attract charges?

Might be possible to open a savings account which doesn't attract bank charges. However you will only be able to view this on 24 hour banking. You generally need a current account to be able to transfer money in and out of the account online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was about to apply for an account online tonight with UB but as I was filling out the form I got stuck. They wanted a UK post code for my employer which obviously I don't have, did I mess up or did anyone else encounter this? I'll go into the branch tomorrow to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If anybody finds out the answer to this I'd like to know also. They do have a maintenance fees for most current accounts but it isn't clear to me what happens if your account hits zero.

I think its 4.50 euro per quater anyway.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think its 4.50 euro per quater anyway.

As in they'll drop your account below zero? Seems like if not there's a transfer out just before the fee date and transfer back in afterwards trick you could play.

As it happens one of my accounts is a Cashsave which doesn't have a quarterly fee so I guess I'll leave that one open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Zab wrote: »
    As in they'll drop your account below zero?
    They will drop your account below zero. If you've no overdraft facility, they will charge more fees, putting you further into the red

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

yes after a year your €1 balance will be -€17 minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

28064212 wrote: »
    They will drop your account below zero. If you've no overdraft facility, they will charge more fees, putting you further into the red

Yes, this is true. They will leave you overdrawn, Was having a sort out through a load of old paperwork recently that reminded me of this! In 1996 i had an account with BoI. I had stopped using it for a long time as i was using my AIB a/c instead. There was the princely sum of £2.23 left in the a/c and they withdrew the £5 govt tax for the card. It left me overdrawn by £2.69 . After that, for the 4 statements that i have, they applied 4.15, plus interest on the over drawn amount.It was £25 by August 1997. I dread to think what it is now, 15 years later!!!

Regarding the Ulster Bank Step account being marketed as a "fee free account", is this in advertising? I'm looking at the website and I don't see any difference between their standard and step accounts in this regard, both are listed as having "transaction fee free banking".

The question of whether Ulster Bank will introduce fees seems to be the major unknown here. The other major options appear to be BoI and PTSB, both of which have easily attainable free banking qualifications, although the BoI could be a little awkward. As such it may be "safer" to move to a bank that's already moved to fees with a free qualification that you know you'll qualify for.

fwiw, I think the animosity towards AIB in this thread is misplaced. Although it was my initial reaction too, I quickly realised that AIB never were my friend and our relationship was always based on money. Their new free banking qualification is a particularly bad one, whereby it would force me to do something that would cost me money and give me no benefit other than the free banking itself. As such, I should clearly move if I can get a better deal elsewhere, but not because I'm angry with AIB, and assuming that the service is comparable.

I switched to BOI last friday and received my PIN today and it says I'll be getting a visa debit card. I joined the Terenure Branch in D6W if that helps anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Hi guys, quick question; do you know if I can transfer my aib accounts to boi, and maintain my goodbody share dealing account in my aib online account? I'm going into the branch this Friday with a few questions for them & not sure if I'd change to boi if I lose this online banking feature.
    Thanks.

ofthelord wrote: »
    Hi guys, quick question; do you know if I can transfer my aib accounts to boi, and maintain my goodbody share dealing account in my aib online account? I'm going into the branch this Friday with a few questions for them & not sure if I'd change to boi if I lose this online banking feature.
    Thanks.

I don't know ofthelord, but when I looked into share accounts a few years back AIB were one of the more expensive ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I switched to BOI last friday and received my PIN today and it says I'll be getting a visa debit card. I joined the Terenure Branch in D6W if that helps anyone.

Have you asked BOI about their charges, I know someone who works in BOI who said they intend changing their fee structure too.

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Have you asked BOI about their charges, I know someone who works in BOI who said they intend changing their fee structure too.

BoI changed from free banking to their current structure in Feb 2011 (source). The logic is that they won't change it again so soon, but of course unless they guarantee that you never know. You could say that about any bank though.

yeah, its a risk, but after 4 weeks, i'm nearly there, just have to change the bank account for child benefit and then i can close the account. I'd do it again to save bank charges.

• Advertisement

cookie1977 wrote: »

Update: while the letter said I'd be getting a visa debit I ended up getting the standard laser card :( Oh well

Advertisement