Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free banking rules in AIB changed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

ninty wrote: »
    BOI does require a Maintained balance of €3000 if you use option B
    Are you totally disregarding the "OR" an option only available to some people who do not have the internet.

are you actually for real? Or just taking the p*ss?

laura29 wrote: »
    Been trying to get through to ub switcher team all morning and the lines are engaged, something that normally annoys me alot but i cant help smiling on this occasion ! I hope to god people stand up and say no to these bloodsuckers, i for one have had it at this stage, they wont get one cent off me ever again

Keep trying!! Online application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'll be closing all my AIB accounts on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

laura29 wrote: »
    Been trying to get through to ub switcher team all morning and the lines are engaged, something that normally annoys me alot but i cant help smiling on this occasion ! I hope to god people stand up and say no to these bloodsuckers, i for one have had it at this stage, they wont get one cent off me ever again

Apply online, only takes a few minutes and they'll send out the forms to sign etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Togglies

tunedout wrote: »
    I just signed up for Ulster Bank. They look much more professional, competitive and appreciative. Application process has been simple so far aswell. Spread the word. This will cost most people more than the household charge. F*ck them. They should be appreciative enough of the almost guaranteed future business they would have got off of most of their current account holders:
    Ulster Bank can now look forward to my business for the future, which will probably include personal loans, a new credit card, debit card and credit card fees from vendors, and probably even be the provider of choice for a mortgage now (not because of these charges but because I will have my current account with them)

People please vote with ye'r feet, send an email to people who are less financially aware.

It would be worth anything to see AIB reverse this decision and be short 200,000 customers. This day and age, no interest current account and "Phone and Internet transaction fees". Poorly run and not competitive, they stink of state ownership. They will be scratching their heads then wondering why their own financial situation is even worse than anticipated then in 12 months.

Honestly, how the hell is an account with €500 any more expensive to provide an internet transaction to than an account with €3000. Bullsh*t.

Hey tunedout.................I want to close my AIB account and open an UB one, did you apply on line or do you have to go into the bank to open it?
    Also how do you close an AIB account. I assume there are no charges for this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

To outline the process I went through this morning ( also called Ulster bank to confirm)

Filled out online application for current account and savings account.

A pack will be sent in the coming days where I tick boxes, sent copies of ID
    YOU REQUIRE
    Copies of two types of photo ID
    Copies of two types of proof of address

On this pack I can arrange for things like

Visa Debit Card/ ATM card
    Any other cards required
    Cheque book if required
    Additional savings accounts

They highlighted that the transfer team, are currently unable to post out transfer packs. So you need to go into any branch, explain at customer service counter and they will provide a pack over the counter.

This pack is then filled out and sent back.

The transfer team can

Organise for Direct Debits/standing orders etc to be transfered
    Close accounts and transfer funds
    Arrange for the change of salary payment from old account to new

I finally queried would Ulster Bank be following suit removing free banking, as I'm only moving due to the charges been implemented in AIB to which she replied

"Well according to the briefings we have in here, there are no plans to change our free banking, and going by the increase volume of calls this morning for people enquiring about transferring, I don't think we will either"

So not only are they offering the best services and terms as a retailer, it appears they arn't absolute idiots either :)

Their online form was easy and quick and no ambiguity.

Will keep tabs on how I get on once the packs arrive.

(Unfortunatley not need to go to a branch at lunch...in town :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Im moving my accounts now too. Thats the straw that broke the camels back.
    Savings accounts will be opened with whoever we have our current accounts with too in future. Its easier to transfer money that way.
    I tried to call ulserbank and got no answer. I will try again later.

The way I see it, having to have €2500 in AIB current account instead of an onterest earning accound is costing me about €100 a year even if they gave me free fees for it.

Id rather have that €100 interest and free fees anyway with ulsterbank.

And if ulsterbank do decide to charge fees in future, it will be very obvious that any other bank who wants to sweep up all those customers away from ulsterbank just have to introduce free fees.

Make them suffer for pissing you off. Show them the power of the crowd.

If AIB get a seriously bloody nose over this then bank will ever try this again.
    If AIB get away with it then they will all try it whenever they feel like scraping an extra few quid from you.

Kaner2004 wrote: »

And if ulsterbank do decide to charge fees in future, it will be very obvious that any other bank who wants to sweep up all those customers away from ulsterbank just have to introduce free fees.

Retail banks are alot more flexible now in terms of process and policy. It is pretty quick and easy to move around, so there is very little barriers for people wanting to move.

There will more then likely be a charge from AIB for me closing my account, especially on the savings plan one, but sure thats how they operate now isnt it

Making charges for them doing **** all/ providing **** all.

Ulster bank are doing all the work, yet I guarantee AIB will charge me for something

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I just rang my branch there to complain, I said if you get enough agro will you roll back. She said they have been told today to log the complaints, so get onto your branch and complain, it might work.

I said the amount of 2500 is extortionate and if I had it why would I keep it in an account with no interest. She said she wouldn't even have it herself. But that they are bringing themselves in line with other banks. (which going by this thread is not true if Ulster is free).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

TheDoc wrote: »

There will more then likely be a charge from AIB for me closing my account, especially on the savings plan one, but sure thats how they operate now isnt it

When I spoke to my AIB branch they said its only the current/cashsaves that the fees apply too, so you could leave your savings account there if you wanted too, but may not on principle.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    so you could leave your savings account there if you wanted to

Do no such thing :)

I think if they are going to roll this back they need to be hit hard. And they better make the announcement about rolling it back soon. Why would any customer who already moved, move back even if they did drop their charges again.

I think if they are going to roll this back they need to be hit hard.

Very true, I can see them rolling back on this decision, it just seems crazy.
    I have a credit card with them that makes me money, averages about 80-90 a year so I don't want to lose that by moving but I don't want to pay 80-90 fees a year for staying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Are Ulster Bank strict on having two forms of I.D.? I only have a passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

pc7 wrote: »
    When I spoke to my AIB branch they said its only the current/cashsaves that the fees apply too, so you could leave your savings account there if you wanted too, but may not on principle.

Eh, some of their savings accounts specify that you must have an AIB current account to transfer to/from.

Are Ulster Bank strict on having two forms of I.D.? I only have a passport.

She mentioned two alright

And I wont leave my savings account there out of principle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Do no such thing :)

I think if they are going to roll this back they need to be hit hard. And they better make the announcement about rolling it back soon. Why would any customer who already moved, move back even if they did drop their charges again.

Surely you should do whats best for your money? Whats the point in bieng spiteful about a decision announced this week, if in 6 months you're better off with AIB?

If its better for you to move to Ulsterbank or PTSB now, of course do it. If this episode shows anything its that you shouldn't be lazy about who you decide to bank with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

recently i have restructured a credit card and a loan.
    this has been recorded on my credit report
    i have now been refused an account with ulster bank,
    just a heads up for anyone wanting to move
    i have to call into a ptsb to open an account....

Also, if some discovers the address you write to to close their aib account, can they please post as i can see it being difficult to get through to aib.

Dodge wrote: »
    Surely you should do whats best for your money? Whats the point in bieng spiteful about a decision announced this week, if in 6 months you're better off with AIB?

If its better for you to move to Ulsterbank or PTSB now, of course do it. If this episode shows anything its that you shouldn't be lazy about who you decide to bank with

But if AIB roll back in a month after everybody has left, then where are they. You are in ulsterbank with free fees. Whats the incentive from AIB to get you back. It would want to be better than free fees wouldnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Thats my point. Do whats best. if Its AIB, ulster bank, BOI, PTSB or anyone else. Just do whats best for yourself and don't be afraid to move

Togglies wrote: »
    Hey tunedout.................I want to close my AIB account and open an UB one, did you apply on line or do you have to go into the bank to open it?
    Also how do you close an AIB account. I assume there are no charges for this??

Hey togglies. I applied online.
    http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/standard-accounts/standard/preapply.ashx

I will wait until I am fully set up with Ulster Bank and change my account number with HR before I attempt to close my AIB account (looking forward to that phone call the most). I assume the same re charges. But who knows with this crowd. I would doubt they can to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

29 years with AIB, I'm moving to either PTSB or Ulster Bank, just have to weigh up the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Great to see that so many people are switching.

Act fast, it can take a few weeks to close your old AIB account, while you wait for your UB account to be opened and fully funded with salary etc. You need to have the process complete before AIB fees start to apply fees in May.

With regard to PTSB, there are several incorrect statements about them in this thread.

Here are the facts:
    Permanent TSB: Everyday
    • Day-to-day banking: €12.00 per quarter (default) OR free if you comply with the below conditions:
      (1) Use your Visa Debit card at least 18 times in the quarter AND
      (2) Lodge at least €3,000 to your account every quarter AND
      (3) Make at least one transaction through Open24 every quarter AND
      (4) "Keep your account within agreed overdraft limits".
    • Credit interest rate: Zero.
    • Non euro cash withdrawals: 3.5% (min €3.17, max €11.43).
    • Debit Card Type: Visa Debit

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Opened a UB account today online, as soon as my wages get into my AIB account next week I'll move them over and close my AIB account. Been with AIB since 1997. The local UB is also open Saturdays! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ugh.

I've horrible memories of Ulster Bank regarding SSIA a/cs and paying credit card bills. I'd be very loath to jump to them.

That being said everybody seems to have a bank story - AIB has always worked well for us but other folk have tales of tremendous woe over AIB's inability to do the simplest things.

I do believe that the days of fee-less banking are over. However it would stick less in people's throats if they didn't have to read about golf club subs being paid for bankers, for gyms being paid for bankers or indeed if branch hours became somewhat more realistic eg 9-5.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Been with AIB since my first ever job as a lounge boy at 15. Thats it, im gone, just applied online at UB and will switch over.

I have a joint savings account already with UB and their online facilities seem to be up to scratch.

Bye Bye AIB
    Thank you for your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Just completed the online form, including the closure of my AIB account. Guess they've seen quite a few of those these past few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Been with AIB since primary school 30 years ago! Going to drop an email to my branch manager and if she doesn't forego the fees, bye bye! My mortgage is already with Ulster anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I think PTSB and UB can severely slash their advertising budget for the next 6 months thanks to AIB!

With UB already but very surprised if AIB manage to keep any customers after this!? Ludicrous idea and whoever came up with it deserves the sack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Alun wrote: »
    It says here that they expect that 40% of their customers will still qualify for free banking after this change. Who in their right mind keeps a minimum buffer of €2,500 in a current account for christ's sake? Absolutely ludicrous.

I so agree with that statement. Why would anyone keep their money on an acc that give them nothing in return. (oh, yeah, exept free quartely banking now, haha, something u can still get for free in other banks).

Smart to keep the current acc balance to minimum and do something better and more rewarding with 2500eur.

This bank should just be closed down so it would not waste more of taxpayers money.
    Who knows, maybe that is part of the plan. Maybe thats exactly what someone came up with? Make majority of people leave the bank on their free will and then close it stating the business have gone down 90 pct!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Monkey Business

Can I switch to Ulster Bank but keep my AIB account open for a few weeks? I have applied for rent allowance but put down my AIB account so they'll process that.

Ideally I'd want to switch to Ulster Bank then change my bank details for the rent allowance when it comes through and then close my AIB account.

Advertisement