Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslims asked to remove headscarves for new Garda card

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I didn't say it should affect our laws. What I was trying to say is that these same people would be horrified and disgusted if I didn't follow common practise there. Whereas when they come here, we ask only a very minor thing in comparison (take off the veil for a photo as opposed to wear a veil the entire time you are in the country).

What purpose does it serve to photograph them without the veil, it's not how they normally look, for id purposes it's better to leave it on imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I fail to see the big deal. They're allowed wear a scarf for the passport.....its not made of human flesh torn from a sacrifical victim....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Ok I'm going to start a new church today. It's called the Church of Fluorescence, and as a part of our beliefs, we are required to wear a flotation ring around our faces (so that the face is framed in the middle) at all times.

Since head coverings for religious reasons are allowed, should members of my church be prosecuted just because our religious beliefs are stupid? If so, who decides what's allowed and what's not? And if we're allowed to wear them, what's to stop anyone making up a religion so that they can have less-effective passport photos?

Are you meant to wear it everytime you are outside? If so then that is a part of your identity. You dont ask people to shave off their beards before taking a passport photo do you?

Islam is a major world religion followed by over a fifth of the world's population. You cannot undermine them.

Yet would you not agree that this is a farce and by all rights I should be told to stop taking the piss and get my photo taken properly? It is a made up church, after all.

I'm not sure if you are saying you would do it for the laugh, I'm sure you would have to provide proof of your religion or something, I have no idea how that would work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

hondasam wrote: »
    What purpose does it serve to photograph them without the veil, it's not how they normally look, for id purposes it's better to leave it on imo.

That is true and I do actually agree with you. I don't have an issue with them wearing a head-covering in photos (obviously so long as it's not a full face one). I do have a problem with there being a different set of rules for different people. That's not equality at work, it's the seeds of segregation.
    Are you meant to wear it everytime you are outside? If so then that is a part of your identity. You dont ask people to shave off their beards before taking a passport photo do you?

Islam is a major world religion followed by over a fifth of the world's population. You cannot undermine them.

Yes. My people must wear their flotation device at all times. This is because we believe the wrath of Poseidon could strike at any moment, flooding the earth, and that we chosen ones will be saved thanks to the religious headgear we wear.

Asking us to take it off would mean we will be swept away with the other heathons when the end of the world comes.

• Advertisement

^so you just answered your own question there. If its that important to you that you wear it everywhere you go, then that is a part of your identity and thats how one would identify you so you shouldn't be asked to take it off for your identification photo.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it isn't. Someone can have a perfectly rational reason for objecting to allowing certain beliefs and cultural practices. It doesn't have to be driven by fear or ignorance.

Those are your personal believes but at the same time you are disrespecting the believes of the person.

If you believe Islam is ridiculous, thats your personal believe but if you start undermining and disrespecting muslims because of your belief them i'm afraid to say that is what xenophia is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If you believe Islam is ridiculous, thats your personal believe but if you start undermining and disrespecting muslims because of your belief them i'm afraid to say that is what xenophia is.

No, I'm afraid that's not what xenophobia is. We are simply not obliged to respect the beliefs of anyone. That is different from respecting someone's right to hold certain beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I thought it was just the hijab, that does not cover the face.

Indeed. But in my line of work I often see passports and there are plenty of Muslim woman wearing the full veil.
    The article says no woman wearing the full veil had been asked to remove it for the photo, which is kind of confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Gevie Stee wrote: »
    I'll join this religion with you :D

don't its a tarp ;) Flouresence will probably brain wash ya into a mass suicide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Anyone else remember the Austrian pastafarian who fought for 3 years for the right to wear a pasta strainer on his head for his driving license picture?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54049000/jpg/_54049868_hl_fuehrerschein_110712.jpg

• Advertisement

That is true and I do actually agree with you. I don't have an issue with them wearing a head-covering in photos (obviously so long as it's not a full face one). I do have a problem with there being a different set of rules for different people. That's not equality at work, it's the seeds of segregation.

I would not agree to the full face being covered either. I would be one to promote while in Rome etc but for this particular instance I feel they should be allowed wear the jihab.
    That's not to say I agree with having different rules for different religions or anything else, I believe in equality as well.

The problem is, people think they have the right not to be offended - no such right exists. The Irish state does not interfere with peoples religious practices, but in a case where a photo has to be taken for a state document, it is perfectly reasonable that a woman be asked to make herself visible. Thia may offend or upset her but tbh, thats tough ****e.

^so you just answered your own question there. If its that important to you that you wear it everywhere you go, then that is a part of your identity and thats how one would identify you so you shouldn't be asked to take it off for your identification photo.

Yes, but I guarantee the Powers That Be would declare this is a pisstake because it doesn't have a tradition spanning thousands of years. So, either they declare my religion is stupid and doesn't count (in which case, who decides what is valid??) or they allow it and suddenly everyone has wonky passport photos because there's 25 billion new religions that require various facial garb.

Where do we draw the line? Why can't people see that having different rules for different groups of people is not the way to go?

No, I'm afraid that's not what xenophobia is. We are simply not obliged to respect the beliefs of anyone. That is different from respecting someone's right to hold certain beliefs.

You are discriminating against a group of people simply because their belives do not conform to your own. What do you call that?

You are discriminating against a group of people simply because their belives do not conform to your own. What do you call that?

I'm not discriminating against anyone I'm afraid. I'm calling for equality for all, irrespective of their religion.

Yes, but I guarantee the Powers That Be would declare this is a pisstake because it doesn't have a tradition spanning thousands of years. So, either they declare my religion is stupid and doesn't count (in which case, who decides what is valid??) or they allow it and suddenly everyone has wonky passport photos because there's 25 billion new religions that require various facial garb.

Where do we draw the line? Why can't people see that having different rules for different groups of people is not the way to go?
    More than a fifth of the word's population is muslim. You cannot antagonise such a large population of people. Especially when you hold many important political and economic interests with these countries.

don't its a tarp ;) Flouresence will probably brain wash ya into a mass suicide :D

Why are you so ignorant about my religious beliefs?? :P

I'm not discriminating against anyone I'm afraid. I'm calling for equality for all, irrespective of their religion.

In callling for this equality you are stripping people of their individual identity that is very important to them. That is discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

You photograph them without the veil and if the Garda is in doubt he makes them take the thing off. If that's unreasonable on some strict religious grounds then Western society isn't for you.

In callling for this equality you are stripping people of their individual identity that is very important to them. That is discrimination.

No, it's not discrimination. If I objected to Muslim men hitting their wives, because the Qur'an permits it, would that be discrimination?

• Advertisement

Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

More than a fifth of the word's population is muslim. You cannot antagonise such a large population of people. Especially when you hold many important political and economic interests with these countries.

I don't have a problem with the hijab. Do you think a person should be allowed to wear a hairband in their photo? The regulations state it's not allowed. Would you be happy to see this changed?

Ok, what if you had an item of clothing (say, a baseball hat) that meant the world to you. It has nothing to do with a religious or cultural rule, it's just this hat belonged to someone you loved dearly who died. Now you wear it all day everyday in their memory.

Hats aren't allowed. No exceptions. Is your identity being compromised? I mean, it's not like you'll ever be seen without the hat. Would that be taken into account? No. No it would not. No hats, no exceptions/

Indeed. But in my line of work I often see passports and there are plenty of Muslim woman wearing the full veil.
    The article says no woman wearing the full veil had been asked to remove it for the photo, which is kind of confusing

Are they not allowed wear the full veil for their own countries passport?
    I do not know if they would be asked to remove it here for the GNIB card but I would say they would have to. Open to correction.
    The incidents did not involve women wearing the niqab or full-face veil.

I'm taking this to mean they will remove these for the photograph, could be totally wrong but that's the way I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

GET YOUR HAIR OUT

GET YOUR HAIR OUT

GET-YOUR-HAIR-OUT-FOR-THE-LADS

GE-EH-EH-EH-EH-ET YOUR HAIR OUT!

No, it's not discrimination. If I objected to Muslim men hitting their wives, because the Qur'an permits it, would that be discrimination?

Firstly a lot of your believes about Islam seem to be very misinformed and secondly you're not merely objecting but you are forcing them to take off their veil which for them is an integral part of their identity.

I'm taking this to mean they will remove these for the photograph, could be totally wrong but that's the way I read it.

That was how I read it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AFAIK there's NO religious imperitave to wear a hijab. It's a cultural thing. Therefore there are no grounds for people to be exempted from removing it.

That said, as long as their face is visible I see no reason for them to Remove it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Firstly a lot of your believes about Islam seem to be very misinformed and secondly you're not merely objecting but you are forcing them to take off their veil which for them is an integral part of their identity.

they take off the fcuking veil all the time
    taking it off IN PRIVATE for 5 mins to take a photo is not part of their identity. and for you to continue to insist that it is, is as much an insult to them as anyone else

• Advertisement

You didn't answer my question. I will ask it again.

If I objected to Muslim men hitting their wives, because the Qur'an permits it, would that be discrimination?

And if you think I am misinformed, then here is a direct quote from the Qur'an: http://quran.com/4/34

Advertisement