Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslims asked to remove headscarves for new Garda card

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Dont Take it Fully off for this picture you can go back to where you come from..

One less person sucking this Country Dry with benefits !

It about time this Government Stood up and start placing people on planes and sending them home or do what the UK does give them Butter Vouchers

were giving them money only for them to send it home and get their family over here and claim..

I remember up in the Airport Hotel, All the Muslims staying in their wanted their meals after sunset but the Kitchen was Closed they Riot the hole place and stood out in the Middle of the Road blocking traffic Staff Members where attacked I would have Shipped every person in that Hotel out of this Country no matter if they were in the Riot or not !

You come into our home land and take our opened arms with welcome and do this !

Some Africans wouldnt stay in a House in Cork before as they said why should they live in a 3 bed room house they would live in better back home "Yeah Right" they should have being f**ked out aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I have actually. How about Iran, Iraq, Syari, SA, Dubai, Pakistan etc.

There are bars and drink available in Syria, Dubai, Iraq......

Is there some point you're trying to make?

Cork24 wrote: »
    Dont Take it Fully off for this picture you can go back to where you come from..

It about time this Government Stood up and start placing people on planes and sending them home or do what the UK does give them Butter Vouchers

were giving them money only for them to send it home and get their family over here and claim..

I remember up in the Airport Hotel, All the Muslims staying in their wanted their meals after sunset but the Kitchen was Closed they Riot the hole place and stood out in the Middle of the Road blocking traffic Staff Members where attacked I would have Shipped every person in that Hotel out of this Country no matter if they were in the Riot or not !

Some Africans wouldnt stay in a House in Cork before as they said why should they live in a 3 bed room house they would live in better back home "Yeah Right" they should have being f**ked out aswell

You left out 'free cars' and a rant about single mothers.

Don't suppose you have a source for the story about the Africans and the one about the Airport hotel?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Seeing as your rant is not in any way on topic and you're simply using this thread to bash minorities and spout bull**** I have gone ahead and banned you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think the pasta strainer is definitely the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Old Tom wrote: »
    Where did I say that? Does obsessive "tolerance" completely blind you?
    My culture is NOT to cover the face, as it is reserved mostly for criminals.
    But these objections did not centre around covering the face as far as I am aware - the Irish Times article expressly says the objection is not to the niqaab, but to the regular hijab which amounts to a headscarf, in the vernacular.

Pretty much as the same thing my Irish mother wears when she's tending to poultry. Are you opposed to that too?
    DonQuay1 wrote: »
    As already stated - no use taking a photo for an ID card if you can only see the eyes.
    The GNIB card is not an ID card.

It contains biometric information (fingerprints) and the individual's immigration history for Ireland. The individual is required to present a passport, with relevant Visa stamp, to prove his or her identity and eligibility for leave to study, work, or take up residence in the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

My religion requires that I always wear this.

http://www.electricavenueonline.net/Images/Web%20Site%20Pics/Accessories/green_bodysuit.jpg

It's my culture. Therefore I get my way and I'm above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

if you want to blame anyone look no further than Mary Robinson as she opened the door first day to let them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ah but sure the protectors of "cultures" will try to convince you that's an urban myth.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Ah but sure the do-gooders and protectors of "cultures" will try to convince you that's an urban myth.....
    It is an urban myth!

• Advertisement

Ah but sure the protectors of "cultures" will try to convince you that's an urban myth.....

Convince him whats an urban myth?

Nodin wrote: »
    Convince him whats an urban myth?

His entire post probably......

His entire post probably......

It's a barely coherent rant referencing a number of unconnected things. None of them are too recognisable as an "urban myth", though I do believe they probably are some form of fairy story. If you can show otherwise, feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

There are bars and drink available in Syria, Dubai, Iraq......

Is there some point you're trying to make?

There may be bars in and around certain embassies in Saudi Arabia but if you do consume alcohol, you are breaking local law. Consumption of alcohol can lead to getting a few weeks or months in prison.

Muslims being asked to remove their headscarves or hijab for offical photographs is not an unreasonable request, but if some women are concerned, and the Gardai have no issues or problem with wearing a hijab, then so be it.

On the other hand, if a devout christian had to have an immigration photo taken in Saudi Arabia and posed wearing a cruxifix around his or her neck, they would, at the very least be ordered to remove it. If they refused they would probably be deported.

marozz wrote: »
    There may be bars in and around certain embassies in Saudi Arabia but if you do consume alcohol, you are breaking local law. Consumption of alcohol can lead to getting a few weeks or months in prison.

Muslims being asked to remove their headscarves or hijab for offical photographs is not an unreasonable request, but if some women are concerned, and the Gardai have no issues or problem with wearing a hijab, then so be it.

On the other hand, if a devout christian had to have an immigration photo taken in Saudi Arabia and posed wearing a cruxifix around his or her neck, they would, at the very least be ordered to remove it. If they refused they would probably be deported.

I never mentioned Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I never mentioned Saudi Arabia.

True :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Show Time wrote: »
    if you want to blame anyone look no further than Mary Robinson as she opened the door first day to let them in.

How, the president has no legislative power.
    FF were in power from 1997 to 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

FF were in power from 1994 to 2011.
    Really, so you just airbrushed the rainbow coalition out of our political history! nice trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No. Saudi has a very different system for making laws to us. Their legal system is based on islamic religious law. Our legal system is based on democracy, individual freedom and individual rights.

What they do is completely irrelevant to what we do. Tit for tat law making or comparison's are simply ridiculous.

We make rules for our citizens based on our needs as a society. Generally speaking we try to make them as few, as unrestrictive and as equal as possible. The rules we make are to achieve a specific outcome be it big (don't kill people) or small (provide a photo that meets these guidelines so we can identify you).

The rule either is necessary or it isn't. If it's necessary, it should apply to everyone, we're equal citizens of a democracy. If it's not then it needs to be revisited. Allowing little loopholes here and there for religion is to my mind lazy practice. Get to the heart of the rule and the problem that's arising and if it's appropriate fix that.

That was my point. In saudi the rules are made without consideration for anyone.

You don't have to take off a hijab off for passports. There's no actual need for people to take it off (it's still possible to identify someone quite easilly so long as their face is visible). So if we're forcing them to wear it for a garda card, then it's for cultural reasons, not for practical reasons. And we're making them follow a rule that is not nessecary without any consideration for them. People might say why should we consider them? But if we fail to pay minor consideration to one of the worlds largest religions, then we're just as bad as countries like saudi.

Unlike a lot of people here (and I'm not directing this at you) I don't have a rabid hatred of religion (Although I am an athiest). So long as it doesn't impact anyone negatively, I don't see why we shouldn't make exceptions for people based on religion, culture, age, disability, sexual orientation or whatever. It's the same reason I don't believe that off licenses should be closed on good friday. It certainly doesn't help anyone by closing them and it's no worse than opening it any other day.
    I look at this from a practical standpoint unlike the guys who hate it because they hate immigrants or hate religion. It's strange to think that both of them think they're rationalists but really they're both just extreamists locked into a worldview that has no consideration for anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭flipper87

When I was in Iran I only had license to drive a one humped camel, but I drove the two humped one anyway. **** the system!!!

• Advertisement

I should add btw, If this did have practical implications, like for example a burka, then my opinion would be different. Let's face it, a photo ID of someone is a mask is just silly.

It's a barely coherent rant referencing a number of unconnected things. None of them are too recognisable as an "urban myth", though I do believe they probably are some form of fairy story. If you can show otherwise, feel free.

Bang on form as usual I see Nod. Especially when someone points out the things that YOU believe do not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

The thread title should read: 'Muslims asked to abide by the same rules as non-muslims'

Because that's what we are really talking about here.

FF were in power from 1994 to 2011.
    She was the first to say we had to open the door to help out refugees a noble cause no doubting that but there has been a fair amount of chancers took advantage of the good nature of Irish people down the years since than.

The thread title should read: 'Muslims asked to abide by the same rules as non-muslims'

Because that's what we are really talking about here.
    If the country is non-muslim that should not be an issue with them.

Bang on form as usual I see Nod. Especially when someone points out the things that YOU believe do not happen.

Thats not an answer - which is bang on form for you.

Nor do I know what you're on about in relation to what I believe etc.

Show Time wrote: »
    She was the first to say we had to open the door to help out refugees a noble cause no doubting that but there has been a fair amount of chancers took advantage of the good nature of Irish people down the years since than.

My arse. We're committed to take in refugees/asylum seekers since we signed that part of the Geneva convention back in the 1950's.

I was reading stuff earlier and came across this story of traditional discrimination and bigotry in Ireland.
    Perhaps a final word is best left to a prominent Jew from Cork, a descendant of the Limerick diaspora, who was interviewed on Irish television in the 1970s as part of a series examining the treatment of minorities in the Republic. Asked if he had personally experienced prejudice, he replied, "Oh yes. Yes indeed," and then, after a pause, added, "In Dublin, you know, they always have the knife out for the Corkman."

Advertisement