Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Bay's....Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

krudler wrote: »
    There's some showings here tonight I'll be seeing it in a few hours, rock bottom expectations tbh I cant imagine it's going to be any way good but oh well.

WELL???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

2 months wait, way to combat piracy Paramount, since June i've seen nothing but trailers, reviews, promo's

now they say the release is in a further 2 months. never seen anything like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's...ok. Not the utter crapfest it could have been but the whole thing is so generic and forgettable for the most part it just reeks of a missed opportunity. It has some really fun moments and the banter between the Turtles is pretty funny in places, especially Michaelangelo who has all the best one liners.
    It's about 95 mins long and it could have done with being a bit longer, could have had some quieter moments to build more on the dynamic between the four turtles. They kept the arguing between Raphael and Leonardo in but it's mostly skimmed over, it just barrels along from one setpiece to the next but does have two very cool fight scenes.

One thing though, the CGI, it's ok for the most part but man are they ugly, and if you think the turtles are ugly, wait til you see Splinter, good jesus. I was really surprised to find out Tony Shalhoub does his voice as his vocals are awful, the 90s movie sounded much better. He honestly could be played by anyone, he just sounds like a regular dude, he's supposed to be a giant rat who knows martial arts and is full of wisdom, and he sounds like anyone could have done his voice.

Fox is useless as ever in it though not quite as bad as Transformers. If April was played by someone like Anna Kendrick or that girl from Dredd it would have been a much better fit.

Going into spoilers now regarding the stupid changes to the origin story:
    April's dad created the turtles? she named them as a kid? and fed them pizza?Splinter was just a rat who TAUGHT HIMSELF TO BE A NINJA FROM A BOOK! What?!

I've no issue with them changing some things but c'mon now, that's just silly. It also reuses the climax from about a dozen other movies. People will probably blame Michael Bay for it's failings but he's only a producer, if anything if it was even more Michael Bay it might have worked.
    I really hate that Transformers style slow down everything in the middle of an action scene to look at how cool this stuff is cliche, complete with Transformers style slo mo sound effect before everything speeds back up again, and it's done about a dozen times in this, half of those in that snowbound scene in all the trailers which is one of the most overblown sequences I've seen in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

So tell me Krudler, do the Turtles beat the Shredder? Don't worry, I can handle the spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Awful decision.... I'm truly looking forward to this movie since when it was first announced! At least expendables around the corner... so that will keep me going for another week w/o moaning :D

• Advertisement

gagomes wrote: »
    Awful decision.... I'm truly looking forward to this movie since when it was first announced! At least expendables around the corner... so that will keep me going for another week w/o moaning :D

Expendables is worse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Kevin Nash should have reprised his role as Shredder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Expendables is worse :pac:

I couldn't endure the whole thing. I think I might even name it as the worst film I've ever seen.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

allanb49 wrote: »
    2 months wait, way to combat piracy Paramount, since June i've seen nothing but trailers, reviews, promo's

now they say the release is in a further 2 months. never seen anything like this.

The theory bouncing about the interweb is that the studio know its a turkey and know it won't meet its targets numbers-wise, and so after a 2 month wait for Europe, will blame the floundering numbers on movie piracy.

So they do havr brains in Hollywood. Shame they don't use them to, you know, make cool movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

its all ready online....started watching it last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

syklops wrote: »
    The theory bouncing about the interweb is that the studio know its a turkey and know it won't meet its targets numbers-wise, and so after a 2 month wait for Europe, will blame the floundering numbers on movie piracy.

So they do havr brains in Hollywood. Shame they don't use them to, you know, make cool movies.

Doesn't really tie in with them already announcing a sequel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That theory doesn't make a lick of sense. So a studio worried about a potential underperforming movie, would let it loose out to piracy just to save face. As noted, its had a big opening and a sequel is on the way.

That theory doesn't make a lick of sense. So a studio worried about a potential underperforming movie, would let it loose out to piracy just to save face. As noted, its had a big opening and a sequel is on the way.

Maybe it doesnt make any sense, but neither does this two month delay either.

Maybe it doesnt make any sense, but neither does this two month delay either.

Cheaper to reuse the prints and digital files from the States than make new ones for Europe?

I was reading that apparently 20 odd minutes of it was cut out. Strangely for Bay production it feels really short and rushed. Characters just vanish as well and I saw on imdb that Baxter Stockman was in the movie but I dont recall him even in a cameo so it seems like a hatchet job was done on it. From the trailers it looked like
    William Fichtner is Shredder but he isn't

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Cheaper to reuse the prints and digital files from the States than make new ones for Europe?

I was reading that apparently 20 odd minutes of it was cut out. Strangely for Bay production it feels really short and rushed. Characters just vanish as well and I saw on imdb that Baxter Stockman was in the movie but I dont recall him even in a cameo so it seems like a hatchet job was done on it. From the trailers it looked like
    William Fichtner is Shredder but he isn't

Are the prints particularly expensive to make?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Are the prints particularly expensive to make?

No idea tbh, I'd imagine most big multiplexes are all digital now anyway so there's no degradation between the prints like years ago where some reels would be worn to sh1t by the time a film was a few weeks into a run.

No idea tbh, I'd imagine most big multiplexes are all digital now anyway so there's no degradation between the prints like years ago where some reels would be worn to sh1t by the time a film was a few weeks into a run.

It'd be miserable if that was the reason for delayed releases. I've no idea regarding digital cinema. You'd right I would think.

H. H. Asquith

It's an odd one alright, you'd think a kid-centric franchise would get it's best chance at doing big box office in the late summer before the kids go back to school, unless they plan on bringing it out on mid term break in October.
    It's an odd film the more I think about it, I'd genuinely love to know what they were thinking with whoever gave final approval to what Splinter looks like, a big "ugh!" went up in the cinema where I saw it when we first see him.

It's an odd one alright, you'd think a kid-centric franchise would get it's best chance at doing big box office in the late summer before the kids go back to school, unless they plan on bringing it out on mid term break in October.
    It's an odd film the more I think about it, I'd genuinely love to know what they were thinking with whoever gave final approval to what Splinter looks like, a big "ugh!" went up in the cinema where I saw it when we first see him.

Is it really that bad? Bad as Bay is, this is literally the one thing he usually gets right.

H. H. Asquith

Is it kid-centric though? Before this movie were the turtles a a thing for kids nowadays? Or was it a case of they didnt know which audience they were targeting?

Transformers was easy. Adult fans would go see it. Kids would go see it. They are cars and trucks who transform into robots, so even with out a back story kids will buy them. Which means despite the turkey that the movie was, they sold stuff because they are cars and trucks that transform into robots.

I asked my 12 year old niece a few weeks ago did she watch Friends and she had never heard of it. Not didn't watch it, but never heard of it.

There was a TMNT movie in 2008(?) which mostly adults went to from my anecdotal experience. Anyone have any demographics on who went to the opening shows of TMNT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Is it kid-centric though? Before this movie were the turtles a a thing for kids nowadays? Or was it a case of they didnt know which audience they were targeting?

Transformers was easy. Adult fans would go see it. Kids would go see it. They are cars and trucks who transform into robots, so even with out a back story kids will buy them. Which means despite the turkey that the movie was, they sold stuff because they are cars and trucks that transform into robots.

I asked my 12 year old niece a few weeks ago did she watch Friends and she had never heard of it. Not didn't watch it, but never heard of it.

There was a TMNT movie in 2008(?) which mostly adults went to from my anecdotal experience. Anyone have any demographics on who went to the opening shows of TMNT?

To be fair they've had a fairly consistent presence on TV the last 10 years. There was a series that ran from 2003-2009 and there's the current (excellent) CGI show as well. They each had toylines as well, with the current one fairly prominent in Smyths for instance. I'd say kids are aware of it and it seems to be popular still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Help!!!! wrote: »
    its all ready online....started watching it last night

A crappy cam for a CGI dominated movie! No thanks!

Deano7788 wrote: »
    To be fair they've had a fairly consistent presence on TV the last 10 years. There was a series that ran from 2003-2009 and there's the current (excellent) CGI show as well. They each had toylines as well, with the current one fairly prominent in Smyths for instance. I'd say kids are aware of it and it seems to be popular still.

Fair enough,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its bad. Real bad. Bearing in mind, I like the transformers movies when I say, that was diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Against my better judgement I was going to go and see this out of loyalty to the hours of joy the TMNT gave me as a child. After reading some of this thread, I'll pretend I wasn't sucked in by a movie poster sitting on the bus for thirty minutes.

Why is Michael Bay such a ****?

Saw it this afternoon and its not bad at all, sure it's a somewhat generic big budget action spectacle but there's some interesting characters, some good action sequences which are just the right side of silly and it manages to tell its story in well under two hours. There's a lot wrong with the film, far too much time is spent in the human characters, the villains plan is convoluted and more than a little dumb and the ending is overly familiar but it remains the kind of dumb fun you can easily enjoy and soon forget about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Such a boring, mediocre movie that managed to have film called "teenage mutant ninja turtles" yet have zero fun attached.

I nodded off numerous times during the film. Bay's heavy handed visual style was all over this.

Write a decent fukcin screenplay and banish Bay's influence!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I did like the Arrested Development reference with the mustard and Parmesan cheese sambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

I just watched it, it was awesome! It's definitely not trying to continue the story in the same vein as the classic movies, but it was good nevertheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thought it was decent, good popcorn-fare.

Megan Fox looks like a busted flush though, awful.

Advertisement