Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separate Tri Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Keep the current subforum as part of A/R/T
    I vote for one forum only.

Triathlon please.

No interest in following the running forum or any other forum

I agree. Delete the rest of boards.ie and just keep triathlon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

RayCun wrote: »
    The poll results of this thread tell me that people want a full forum, not a subforum or to be merged back. They say nothing about what subforums there should be in that new forum, and nothing about the status of adventure racing.

shotgun is the mod of this subforum. I'm a mod of Athletics/Running/Triathlon.
    I'm not saying this to pull rank on shotgun, who I think is doing a good job, but to point out that I have to consider the wishes of all the people who use the A/R/T forum. That includes Adventure racers. There is clearly a large crossover in the population of people who do triathlons and the people who do other multisport races, and many common concerns. I think they fit better in a forum with triathletes than in a forum with just runners.

The poll results tell nothing but that the vast majority want a separate Tri forum. No mention of Duathlons, Aquathons, Multi-Sport, Adventure Races, or the Egg-and-Spoon Race. Your own poll statistics that you quoted to show support for the crossover of Tri and AR, show a larger crossover between mountain running and AR, and larger still between AR and road running. But you dismiss the AR/RR crossover stats as irrelevant, because it doesn't suit what your personal opinion is. That's fine, you're fully entitled to have your opinion, but diverting the thread into side issues like subforums and AR, on the basis of you being a moderator, is missing the point.

The point is: can there be a separate Tri forum please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The poll results tell nothing but that the vast majority want a separate Tri forum. No mention of Duathlons, Aquathons, Multi-Sport, Adventure Races, or the Egg-and-Spoon Race.

Exactly, no mention of them. Either way :rolleyes:

You know what else has a massive crossover with road running?
    And a massive crossover with marathons?
    Triathlon!
    Clearly it belongs in the same forum as road running and marathons!

Anyway, shotgun seems to be okay with Triathlon/Adventure Racing, and the other A/R/T mods seem to agree, so...
    I'd drop the 'duathlon' too and call it 'Triathlon/Adventure Racing'. Duathletes will check out a Triathlon Forum and Enduro can build his own little sandcastle for 'proper' Adventure Racing within that Forum :D I might even give one a go after I do a few mongrels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You guys are not taking the Tunney factor into account. I'm guessing a lot of the Athletic regulars have skewed the results somewhat by voting themselves for a separate Tri forum in order to virtually segregate the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Exactly, no mention of them. Either way :rolleyes:

You know what else has a massive crossover with road running?
    And a massive crossover with marathons?
    Triathlon!
    Clearly it belongs in the same forum as road running and marathons!

Anyway, shotgun seems to be okay with Triathlon/Adventure Racing, and the other A/R/T mods seem to agree, so...

Adventure Racing is more relative to Running than triathlon. Very simple fix.

Set Triathlon to sail on its own and change the name of the A/R/T forum to Athletics/Running/Adventure Racing

• Advertisement

Adventure Racing is more relative to Running than triathlon. Very simple fix.

Triathlons contain cycling and running.
    Duathlons contain cycling and running.
    Adventure races contain cycling and running.
    Running races contain running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You guys are not taking the Tunney factor into account. I'm guessing a lot of the Athletic regulars have skewed the results somewhat by voting themselves for a separate Tri forum in order to virtually segregate the man.

Hadn't thought I was *that* unpopular. Oh well, must go cry.

tunney wrote: »
    Hadn't thought I was *that* unpopular. Oh well, must go cry.

we're afraid you'll strangle us with our finisher's medals :D
    (or is that dp?)

we're afraid you'll strangle us with our finisher's medals :D
    (or is that dp?)

Oh thats right, ye lads *keep* the medals. No seriously well done on that 10km.......... :)

Ah you know your the man people love to hate over there.

• Advertisement

Triathlons contain cycling and running.
    Duathlons contain cycling and running.
    Adventure races contain cycling and running.
    Running races contain running.

Hmmm how about

Make A/R/T just A/R

then

Create the Triathlon forum and have duathlons and 'adventure racing ' as sub forums of the triathlon forum?

Create the Triathlon forum and have duathlons and 'adventure racing ' as sub forums of the triathlon forum?

That would be fine with me
    (I don't think there's a need for a Duathlon-specific subforum, but if that's how you want to do it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I voted to move Tri/Duathlon/AR back into the main forum. I'm a generalist and like to try every variant of running (on road and off), cycling, swimming and sometimes even kayaking in any combination.

I would have thought a lot of people here are in the same boat and don't see the point in having to monitor two (or three) different fora, but I seem to be in a minority in this poll.

(I don't think there's a need for a Duathlon-specific subforum, but if that's how you want to do it...)

Great i think the majority of people will be happy with that. Can you set the wheels in motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'm not at all bothered by whichever way the decsion goes, but I do have one suggestion. If you're going to be including Triathlons, duathlons, X-terras, Adventure races, mongrel psuedo-adventure races etc in the new forum, why not call it "Multisports", or something similar, as that covers everything. Triathlon is very well defined and very specific.

Great i think the majority of people will be happy with that. Can you set the wheels in motion?

Triathlon/Adventure Racing forum
    • Events subforum
    • Gear subforum
    • Training Logs subforum
    • Adventure Racing subforum
    • Duathlon subforum

Shotgunmcos to be the moderator

That seems to be the favoured option so far. Any advances? shotgun want to suggest any changes?

I won't do anything until Monday to give people a chance to read this, and vote on the other poll about subforums. Fingers crossed it will go through faster than the subforum request...

edited to add - I should point out that this is up to the admins in the end, not the A/R/T mods. We can recommend, we can point to polls, we can point to numbers posting... but it's ultimately their decision

Hmmm how about

Make A/R/T just A/R

then

• Events subforum
    • Gear subforum
    • Training Logs subforum
    • Duathlon subforum

That seems to be the favoured option so far. Any advances? shotgun want to suggest any changes?

I won't do anything until Monday to give people a chance to read this, and vote on the other poll about subforums. Fingers crossed it will go through faster than the subforum request...

edited to add - I should point out that this is up to the admins in the end, not the A/R/T mods. We can recommend, we can point to polls, we can point to numbers posting... but it's ultimately their decision

Thought we agreed just to have the main forum named Triathlon with adventure racing as a sub forum.

All the rest i understand and agree with. Its up to the admins.
    Cheers.

Thought we agreed just to have the main forum named Triathlon with adventure racing as a sub forum.

oh, okay - that's fine too. I'll start another thread, and sticky it...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

• Events subforum
    • Gear subforum
    • Training Logs subforum
    • Duathlon subforum

We don't need a duathlon sub-forum surely? Adventure racing deserves it's own sub-forum, but triathlons/duathlons are all done by the same crowd, organised by the tri clubs etc etc

Nwm2 wrote: »
    We don't need a duathlon sub-forum surely? Adventure racing deserves it's own sub-forum, but triathlons/duathlons are all done by the same crowd, organised by the tri clubs etc etc

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So who was taking my name in vein??

:D

Been crazy busy at work today and these message flying in... I'll throw my thoughts onto the new thread

RayCun cheers for listening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I reckon any AR forum will be a ghost town. I don't think I even saw a topic on AR outside the events forum.

Most ARs are duathlons so anyone with questions will go there. Any questions about a race will go to the event thread.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I reckon any AR forum will be a ghost town. I don't think I even saw a topic on AR outside the events forum.

The AR subforum could be mainly AR events?

If there's going to be an AR events forum, will be there a tri events sub forum ? If so, the main tri forum will be pretty ghostly too, sure this thread has been the most exiting thing to happen around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

While narrowing of topics/activities is obviously necessary in a site like this, getting too specific runs the risk of excluding lots of good information that would otherwise be shared, thus resulting in growth and personal improvement.

I'm relatively new around these parts, so I don't totally understand the motivation in wanting to separate out the tris from the other athletes/runners, but this is what I see happening if there is a separate tri forum where we post our training logs -

Either....
    A) Some/most of us will still want to keep up with the non-tri athletes' logs (can you say Krusty?) and now it will take a few more key strokes to do so, which then begs the question, why did we just create this new, separate forum?

Or...
    B) We will be our own island and will never/rarely/discourage the benefit of interaction and exposure with other athletes who can share with us, inspire us, and improve our skills.

If the motivation to create a separate forum is to weed out the newbie questions/topics or to somehow partition ability, then not only is this not the way to accomplish such a task, but it also seems counter to the spirit of this site. Hopefully we all learn from each other, no matter the ability or athletic discipline.

Just my 2 cents......:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why cant we leave it bundled with the other forums as now (in a standalone forum) but use thread tags as they do in Helpdesk? Tunney started a thread here using a [gear] tag yesterday. With that system you can see at a glance what a thread refers to and it cuts down on the need for multiple ghost town forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »

Either....
    A) Some/most of us will still want to keep up with the non-tri athletes' logs (can you say Krusty?) and now it will take a few more key strokes to do so, which then begs the question, why did we just create this new, separate forum?

Or...
    B) We will be our own island and will never/rarely/discourage the benefit of interaction and exposure with other athletes who can share with us, inspire us, and improve our skills.

If the motivation to create a separate forum is to weed out the newbie questions/topics or to somehow partition ability, then not only is this not the way to accomplish such a task, but it also seems counter to the spirit of this site. Hopefully we all learn from each other, no matter the ability or athletic discipline.

Just my 2 cents......:)

I can create a link back to the Running Forum and plonk it in the easiest access location in the new Forum... hence fewer clicks :)

The objective is certainly not to weed out newbies. In fact I think a separate Triathlon forum will encourage more newbies to interact. We can guide them with a specific thread, sticky wiki, smile or whatever is required. Being one of the fastest growing sports in the country (mainly because the country is beautiful and offers abundance of locations for such), there will be more and more newbies. I expect the same old newbie Q&A being a feature of the new forum, any new forum for that matter.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Why cant we leave it bundled with the other forums as now (in a standalone forum) but use thread tags as they do in Helpdesk? Tunney started a thread here using a [gear] tag yesterday. With that system you can see at a glance what a thread refers to and it cuts down on the need for multiple ghost town forums.

Not everyone gets tags. Its too loose. Tunney has the right idea and I think personally tags are better myself. I use them in my day job a lot. Problem is how to you educate the general Mob about them without directing them to another info thread with yet another variable?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    Not everyone gets tags. Its too loose. Tunney has the right idea and I think personally tags are better myself. I use them in my day job a lot. Problem is how to you educate the general Mob about them without directing them to another info thread with yet another variable?

In the programming forum they have tags for new threads, even someone technically inept would get it when posting a new thread, you just pick in a drop down menu what prefix you want, see HERE.

Would that not be an option here? I don't really care whether it's a stand alone forum or not(and I bet most peole who voted for a move couldn't really care less either), makes no difference to me. I do think a tri forum, particularly one with seperate gear and events sub forums would be fairly quiet. Sure triathletes don't have time to spend browsing the net like runners, aren't they out training (and making pretty graphs) all the time? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sure triathletes don't have time to spend browsing the net like runners, aren't they out training (and making pretty graphs) all the time? :)

And trying on their latest lycra purchase. :)

• Advertisement

Speaking personally, I think a subforum bettr reflects how people use this set of forums. Multisporters take part in running-only events too (BHAA, IMRA, etc), so it makes sense to have them nearer not further, and there's a lot of crossover in the logs that will be lost if the forums are split.

But I can understand if being a subforum makes multisport looks like an offshoot of running rather than a sport in its own right, and people would rather have their own place.

Advertisement