Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separate Tri Forum

Options
  • 19-03-2012 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

What's the feeling on this? I'm sick to the back teeth of the goody-bag mentality on the main forum, is it time to request a separate Tri forum? FWIW I think shotgun is doing a great job, and I'd like to see the Tri logs have their own subforum.

Poll added to get a general idea of what people think.

Should there be a standalone Tri Forum? 57 votes

Create a separate Tri forum
    0%
    Keep the current subforum as part of A/R/T
    75%
    d4r3ntunneyAmzBambaataslayer91s_grchristebFunkyzeitWoddlecjt156hf4z6sqo7vjngiduffyshuffledx22couerdeliondonothoponpopray oMcTigscatweazlebig mcecunavalos 43 votes
    Merge everything back to A/R/T
    24%
    Head The WallpaulmorroPWEIbaza1976silver campaignEC1000nutzzz123Bally8MacanriRedBKentuckyPetetoo much triflejohnnyb1HalfTri 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What's the feeling on this? I'm sick to the back teeth of the goody-bag mentality on the main forum, is it time to request a separate Tri forum? FWIW I think shotgun is doing a great job, and I'd like to see the Tri logs have their own subforum.

Poll added to get a general idea of what people think.

Personally I think it's comments like that add fuel to the fire of the so called "goody bag" mentality as you call it. It will put off non tri athletes and newbies of commenting on this forum if more people post elitist comments like that. Also why separate the tri logs? I don't compete in tri myself but I enjoy reading the logs so why would you bother separating them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

There should definitely be a separate Tri forum- the subforum gets nearly as much traffic as the main forum most days.

While they're at it, maybe there should be another forum for elitist attitudes where people can go to pat themselves on their backs about how great they are at their hobbies, and how much better they are than all those other wasters who don't take things as seriously.
    Keep the "goody-bag" discussions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Point taken about the "goody bag" comment lads. Even though I still stand by it, although its probably a reaction to having been on the main forum for so many years, and seeing the same discussions come up again and again. In my eye's, the lack of challenge or ambition has put off so many of the faster posters, who couch to 5k guys could learn something from.

I'm as newbie to Tri as they come, and some of my basic questions might rankle the more experienced athletes, but they've been answered informatively. The flip side of that is I won't expect medals for getting around my first Tri, and more importantly, won't put my achievement on a par with those who beat me (that's how I see the main A/R/T forum going).

Sorry if I gave mixed messages in the OP; the main purpose is to get an idea of numbers who want a separate forum, although discussion is useful and welcome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Merge everything back to A/R/T
    Agree that there's a lot of repetitive sh1te in the main forum but there are good threads there too. However, once the tri racing season gets going properly we'll no doubt see some repetitive stuff on here too about goody bags / I don't think the course was accurately measured / some guy moved my runners /I do a bit of GAA could I do an Ironman etc.

Personally the current setup works for me - I don't post much but check both forums most days. I don't really have time to read all the logs - for some reason I follow shotgun's regularly but that's it - so I've no real opinion either way on the logs thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I use both the main and this one quite a bit but would still prefer to see everything seperated out.

In the main I am only reading the tri logs and although I do browse the others now and again if I see one I enjoy I subscribe to it.

Ideally an exact replice of the main forum, with sub forums for equipment, races and logs would work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MrCreosote wrote: »
    There should definitely be a separate Tri forum- the subforum gets nearly as much traffic as the main forum most days.

While they're at it, maybe there should be another forum for elitist attitudes where people can go to pat themselves on their backs about how great they are at their hobbies, and how much better they are than all those other wasters who don't take things as seriously.
    Keep the "goody-bag" discussions!

As long as we can have a back slapping aren't we all great for our pi$$ poor performances thread.

Sometimes a succinct statement like "sorry thats just a sh1te time" is appropriate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Makes no difference to me. If I'm not interested in a thread or posts I don't read them no matter what section they're in. It's only the internet, it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

"Sometimes a succinct statement like "sorry thats just a sh1te time" is appropriate "

im sure people know by their race position how ****e or otherwise theyve done, i sure do, but my times bad as they are , are still improving, am i meant to be unhappy with that
    or does everyone have to aspire to be an ironman

back on topic
    is it that hard to navigate to triathlon duathlon adventure racing without even looking at the main art forum,
    so i cant see why it cant be left as it is, but ive no huge objection to it being changed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I’d favour keeping the logs where they are. Great to click in and out of different logs, be it marathon, sub 60 ten mile attempts, hill running etc. Pain of the arse clicking in and out of different logs.

I think the main forum is still an interesting read. The tri forum will just get as repetitive as the main one after a while, doesn’t prevent good threads though.

woody1 wrote: »
    "Sometimes a succinct statement like "sorry thats just a sh1te time" is appropriate "

im sure people know by their race position how ****e or otherwise theyve done, i sure do, but my times bad as they are , are still improving, am i meant to be unhappy with that
    or does everyone have to aspire to be an ironman

I meant sometime calling a spade a spade is required.

Sometimes someone is overweight.
    Sometimes someone is slow for their age/sex.
    Sometimes something is a stupid idea.

The lack of *honest* discussion on the main is frustration to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

fair enough, cant argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What's the point? Is it for disassociation? An equal status thing?
    By all means do it, but do it for a worthwhile reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

What do you mean i can't do the women's mini marathon ?

What's the point? Is it for disassociation? An equal status thing?
    By all means do it, but do it for a worthwhile reason.

I think a standalone forum would help Tri expand, by having its own flavour. I've lost count of the amount of times someone slow*- there, I said it- on the A/R/T forum accuses other posters of being "elitist", as if that was a bad thing. There doesn't seem to be a similar level of couch-5k-marathon mutual backslapping on the Tri subforum, nor is there any dilution of achievement or competition, and I'd think it could grow better with its own charter and rules.

*Please note I'm not knocking anyone for being slow, or doing couch-5k, or whatever. I'm well aware "slow" is subjective, and everyone has to start from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think your new tri-goggles haven't had the rose tint washed out yet :)

RayCun wrote: »
    I think your new tri-goggles haven't had the rose tint washed out yet :)

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?

If someone asks a couch 2 5k question in the main forum, chances are you've heard it a million times before, and answered it a thousand times yourself. The number of 'advanced' threads hasn't really gone down that much/at all, but you've had your fill of the more basic questions and so each new one is another spike in your brain ;) There are as many fast runners around as there always were, but maybe you're not learning as much from them any more - because you've already learned so much - so their inputs don't register as much.

In tri, on the other hand, everything is new! and exciting! "How do I train for my first tri?" oohh, good question! "what kind of bike should I get?" hey, I want to know that too! and everyone seems to know so much more than you....

...but give it a while, and these questions will no longer be new, and you'll realise that there are plenty of newbie triathletes too, and omg you've just turned into tunney :eek:
    :D

If someone asks a couch 2 5k question in the main forum, chances are you've heard it a million times before, and answered it a thousand times yourself. The number of 'advanced' threads hasn't really gone down that much/at all, but you've had your fill of the more basic questions and so each new one is another spike in your brain ;) There are as many fast runners around as there always were, but maybe you're not learning as much from them any more - because you've already learned so much - so their inputs don't register as much.

In tri, on the other hand, everything is new! and exciting! "How do I train for my first tri?" oohh, good question! "what kind of bike should I get?" hey, I want to know that too! and everyone seems to know so much more than you....

...but give it a while, and these questions will no longer be new, and you'll realise that there are plenty of newbie triathletes too, and omg you've just turned into tunney :eek:
    :D

Yeah Ray, I said this myself several posts back. My personal opinion shouldn't matter much; this is about something that has been discussed and dragged out for years. Tri is one of the biggest sports in Ireland now, and its lumped in with the running boom, and that shouldn't be the case.

Yeah Ray, I said this myself several posts back. My personal opinion shouldn't matter much; this is about something that has been discussed and dragged out for years. Tri is one of the biggest sports in Ireland now, and its lumped in with the running boom, and that shouldn't be the case.

(I don't mind whether tri wants to stay a subforum, go it alone, or merge)

Do you think a new forum is needed because tri is too big to be a subforum? (I don't think it has been that busy, so far)
    Or because the standard is higher and it needs to be cut loose before its dragged down?

tunney wrote: »
    I meant sometime calling a spade a spade is required.

Sometimes someone is overweight.
    Sometimes someone is slow for their age/sex.
    Sometimes something is a stupid idea.

The lack of *honest* discussion on the main is frustration to say the least.

Thats me, but the mirror can tell me things you never will;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Do you think a new forum is needed because tri is too big to be a subforum? (I don't think it has been that busy, so far)
    Or because the standard is higher and it needs to be cut loose before its dragged down?

I think it should be a separate Forum becaue its a completely different sport. Regardless of how big, small, exciting, new, drab etc.. it may be

Compared to others i stated in another thread is really busy. Others hasn't posts in 3 weeks yet are there.

Example being Frisbee, last post on Feb 25th.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Even if dpop turns into tunney, tunney will still think his times are sh*te. ;)

Should there be a separate tri forum.... Well, I wouldnt mind if there was, it would be a one stop shop. But would this forum remain, or would mini-ARs and Duathlons have to have their own forums too? I see where people are coming from on the training log thing, I look at the current training log forum and I havent a clue who is training for what so I hardly ever browse there. I sub to about ten logs at the moment, and tend to pick up on new interesting ones by word of mouth, so its not a big deal.

The elitist attitude does bother me, in all the forums though. Its not that I dont think you can tell someone they are slow, or should aim higher, of course you can. (Im slow ffs) But at the same time it needs to be done with tact. You dont want to alienate people. I didnt get talked down to (much -the tactless ones know who they are... ) when I posted here first, but at the same time I established pretty quickly how low in the rankings I was. :) Its just a close thing between showing someone what they need to work towards, and making them feel like not good enough to post. That doesnt happen here, but I wouldnt want anyone to feel like this is a clique that only the best can join.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

How do you split the training logs between Tri logs and the the logs of those that can't swim?

For example Jackyback is going for a sub 3 in Barca in a couple of weeks but his longer season goal is IM - does his log go in the Tri or Running log forum?

Do you have to swear an oath of allegiance at the time of the split and declare yourself as an official (run log) or a provisional (tri log) or as a dissident (messing log)?

We could set up an 'elite' sub forum for those that are bored of looking at repeated pleb questions. You could e-mail your race results to an elite mod who could send you a password to enter, assuming your results were up to scratch - sub 9hr IM; sub 2.30 marathon; sub whatever in a messing event. Then all of the elites could get together and compare war stories.

The only place where there is any real sustained year round activity is in the training logs. A dedicated tri forum is going to be very quite in the winter......

It ain't broke, leave it alone. Far too much messing with the layout already this year.

For me its separation, events subforum, logs subforum, gear subforum. I really don't care about a pure runners perspective.

yes it will be quieter but the AR board would have alot less traffic too with no triathletes posting about bikes, races or the like.

tunney wrote: »
    For me its separation, events subforum, logs subforum, gear subforum. I really don't care about a pure runners perspective.

yes it will be quieter but the AR board would have alot less traffic too with no triathletes posting about bikes, races or the like.

Thats true as i never know to post there or in the cycling forum about bike issues. At least here we'd have a home to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Seperate tri forum for me as i rarely read the main page anymore, in fact i seem to generally spend more time on ST lately.
    I reckon things will pick up here though once race season kicks off.

I think it should be a separate Forum becaue its a completely different sport. Regardless of how big, small, exciting, new, drab etc.. it may be

That's a good point, and that's why I was keen for there to be some separation - triathletes are a distinct group in A/R/T, with their own concerns, events, etc
    But is the break that clean? Lots of triathletes run proper races too, without the long warmup - would an entirely different forum just make things more awkward? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

I have to admire the triathlon guys/girls as you all seem pretty clued in. I reckon it's the fear of drowning that stops people from just "giving it a lash" so from that point of view a stand alone forum would make a lot of sense, but AR should come back to the main page, a it seem like more of "ah sure I'll give that a go" mentality that you find with running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Actually shotgun makes a good point, it is a separate sport so on that point, probably should be a separate forum. Which in turn might attract more people to post rather than wade through non related posts.

Regarding the elitist attitude. I'm not so sure. I appreciate that Tunney calls it as he sees it. Bit rough around the edges, I'd go with your PB is soft rather than your times are **** approach but still the same message. Not sure if this is a triathlete thing or a boards.ie thing but I find it refreshing.

But that shouldn't be a reason to dismiss the main ART forum

Advertisement