Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separate Tri Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Merge everything back to A/R/T

I'm as newbie to Tri as they come, and some of my basic questions might rankle the more experienced athletes, but they've been answered informatively. The flip side of that is I won't expect medals for getting around my first Tri, and more importantly, won't put my achievement on a par with those who beat me (that's how I see the main A/R/T forum going).
    Theres a certain "Mr T" here who will put you in your place in the tri forum someday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Keep the current subforum as part of A/R/T
    Comprehensive enough poll... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

I presume the intent for the separatists is to leave the "AR" part behind. Which makes perfect sense for real AR, as the best home for real AR would probably be the outdoor pursuits forum.

However the mongrel multisports events that get labelled "AR" are closer to triathlon than any other sport. If someone was looking for advice on training for these races I'd point them in the direction of the triathlon forum. They're just half-arsed xterras for non-swimmers after all. Actually, where would X-terras go in the split?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The mongrel stuff would have to go with triathlon. It makes no sense to leave them with Athletics/Running, and there's not enough of a community to support a separate forum.
    Running/Kayaking/Biking
    Swimming/Biking/Running
    Running/Biking/Running
    they're all inbred cousins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RayCun wrote: »
    The mongrel stuff would have to go with triathlon. It makes no sense to leave them with Athletics/Running, and there's not enough of a community to support a separate forum.
    Running/Kayaking/Biking
    Swimming/Biking/Running
    Running/Biking/Running
    they're all inbred cousins :)

Emmmm throwing a heavy ball.
    Lobbing a point stick in a field.
    Jumping over a bar.
    Playing in a sand pit.

Even AR already has aload of toss in it you should really take the adventure racing too.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Emmmm throwing a heavy ball.
    Lobbing a point stick in a field.
    Jumping over a bar.
    Playing in a sand pit.

Even AR already has aload of toss in it you should really take the adventure racing too.

Hardly anyone does field events in A/R/T, so setting up a Field events forum would be even worse than trying to set up (mongrel) Adventure races in their own forum. During the winter it would be 90210 talking to himself about the T&F season in Oz, and in the summer maybe two or three people doing track&field in Ireland.
    And the people that do take part in field events, also take part in track events - they're all runners too.
    (Plus, the discussion of elite athletics is as much about field as about track.)

Similarly, the people who take part in Gaelforce-type ARs also do triathlon and duathlon. Not all of them, and not all triathletes do ARs, but there's a big crossover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

This has been going on for years. How hard is it to understand that Triathletes want their own forum, to discuss their own sport? Initially it was lumped in with marathon running, presumably because they are both endurance sports. Of course that led to problems when fast 10k runners with no interest in Tri, started posting and had to endure threads about TT bikes; or Triathletes had to suffer thread after thread from beginner marathoners. Why repeat that mistake by adding a diluting carbuncle of GF/Roar/AR, when its such a tiny overlapping set? Just do it right this time, recognize the large amount of Triathletes looking for a Triathlon forum, call it Triathlon, and worry about where to fit any variants after.

Why repeat that mistake by adding a diluting carbuncle of GF/Roar/AR, when its such a tiny overlapping set?

Where else should they go?
    Athletics/Running/GF/Roar/AR makes no sense as a forum
    GF/Roar/AR would be a dead zone 90% of the year, and even in the summer wouldn't be that busy. No-one would use it because no-one is there.
    Triathlon/Duathlon/GF/Roar/AR isn't perfect, but has a lot more logic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is it just me that doesn't give a crap whether tri has it's own forum or not? Who cares whether it's a standalone forum or a subforum? :confused: Who cares if it's lumped in with running and theres some threads about a 5 hour marathon and a one hour 10k? Who cares if theres a couple of threads about adventure races in the tri forum? Don't like thread. Don't read thread. If this is your biggest problem in life lads, any of you want to swap lives with me?!

Seriously, tri has it's own subforum now. Be happy.

There's a fair few people who've done triathlons on here who probably wouldn't have if the information wasn't accessible because it's been in with running. Yourself included possibly DP. Just sayin' like....

Is it just me that doesn't give a crap whether tri has it's own forum or not? Who cares whether it's a standalone forum or a subforum? :confused:

That's what the poll is for. Currently, over 70% or respondents appear to give a care enough to vote Tri gets a standalone forum.

But I don't think anyone is making out its a huge life issue or anything; as you said yourself earlier, it's just the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

There was no problem with Gaelforce etc being in the events forum, don’t see why it can’t revert to that. We’re talking about a dozen threads over the course of the year.

The training/questions will be similar to tri, maybe the odd ‘best swimming armbands’ question, but they’ll overlap.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You didn't put a Don't care/Atari jaguar option.

griffin100 wrote: »
    How do you split the training logs between Tri logs and the the logs of those that can't swim?

On this question - I had a look at some other forums, and we could do something like this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=164

So, if a new Triathlon/Duathlon/Adventure Racing forum is created, you could have an Events subforum (if you wanted), a link to the Training Logs subforum (in A/R), and a link to the Gear and Equipment subforum (in A/R). Nobody would have to choose which side of the wire to train on...

On this question - I had a look at some other forums, and we could do something like this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=164

So, if a new Triathlon/Duathlon/Adventure Racing forum is created, you could have an Events subforum (if you wanted), a link to the Training Logs subforum (in A/R), and a link to the Gear and Equipment subforum (in A/R). Nobody would have to choose which side of the wire to train on...

I would really prefer a split in the gear at the very least as well. Most of the advice from the "runners" on ART on gear (runners and watches) is fairly horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A/R/T as a whole is the 3rd or 4th busiest Forum on the Sports side of Boards. Splitting out a separate Forum would not dilute it too much IMO. It would more than likely still be in the top 10 in terms of traffic.

I'd drop the 'duathlon' too and call it 'Triathlon/Adventure Racing'. Duathletes will check out a Triathlon Forum and Enduro can build his own little sandcastle for 'proper' Adventure Racing within that Forum :D I might even give one a go after I do a few mongrels

Sure its not currently broken as Griffin100 says and what is the point of a separate Forum? Good question and each to their own opinion

I'd happily move my Log to a Tri/AR logs section and I'd also happily wander back to the A/R Forum as I do like running too :) The sub forum works fine but its still just a piggy back on A/R/T and as such cannot have its own events, gear, buy & sell etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Oryx wrote: »

The elitist attitude does bother me, in all the forums though. Its not that I dont think you can tell someone they are slow, or should aim higher, of course you can. (Im slow ffs) But at the same time it needs to be done with tact. You dont want to alienate people. I didnt get talked down to (much -the tactless ones know who they are... ) when I posted here first, but at the same time I established pretty quickly how low in the rankings I was. :) Its just a close thing between showing someone what they need to work towards, and making them feel like not good enough to post. That doesnt happen here, but I wouldnt want anyone to feel like this is a clique that only the best can join.

The best triathlon forum on the web is also the most elitist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I would really prefer a split in the gear at the very least as well. Most of the advice from the "runners" on ART on gear (runners and watches) is fairly horrific.

TBH this is the type of attitude that turns people off tri. This idiotic fake hardman crap is so tedious. Listen dude, there are a bunch of people you call "runners"on the athletics forum who could drop your ass in the dust on a run and make you weep for your mommy. I've seen your times and guess what, they ain't that good. Get over yourself.

drquirky wrote: »
    TBH this is the type of attitude that turns people off tri. This idiotic fake hardman crap is so tedious. Listen dude, there are a bunch of people you call "runners"on the athletics forum who could drop your ass in the dust on a run and make you weep for your mommy. I've seen your times and guess what, they ain't that good. Get over yourself.

And I've never pretending to be anything other than sh1t. I'm a computer nerd that likes a bit of exercise and I am happy with that.

However the typical triathlete is usually more knowledgeable about gear than runners. If triathletes were honest its the gadgets and gizmos that are half the attraction. Go have a look at the recent gear thread on water bottle carriers for running - see when and with whom this thread descended into "Oh I sellotape a 7-up bottle to my back with some sellotape" and similar.

Triathletes like gadgets and gear, compensating some might say. The AR gear sub forum is tedious and boring, any questions ultimately end up on a tangent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

And I've never pretending to be anything other than sh1t. I'm a computer nerd that likes a bit of exercise and I am happy with that.

However the typical triathlete is usually more knowledgeable about gear than runners. If triathletes were honest its the gadgets and gizmos that are half the attraction. Go have a look at the recent gear thread on water bottle carriers for running - see when and with whom this thread descended into "Oh I sellotape a 7-up bottle to my back with some sellotape" and similar.

Triathletes like gadgets and gear, compensating some might say. The AR gear sub forum is tedious and boring, any questions ultimately end up on a tangent.

Fair enough- I can respect that- perhaps I misunderstood your original tone. If so I apologize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Merge everything back to A/R/T
    drquirky wrote: »
    Fair enough- I can respect that- perhaps I misunderstood your original tone. If so I apologize.

I voted to keep it as it is, but after reading some posts here today I say let this ship sail. Besides MCOS training logs I won't miss much else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I think you should merge Tri with the Cycling forum, sure it's all just bikes and lycra anyhoo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Enduro can build his own little sandcastle for 'proper' Adventure Racing within that Forum :D I might even give one a go after I do a few mongrels

:D I'd try anyway.... although it feels like a battle scene from "Zulu" in this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I think you should merge Tri with the Cycling forum, sure it's all just bikes and lycra anyhoo :p

Having asked questions on the cycling forum and havn't had the niceset answers or help............i wouldn't visit if that happened.

Create a separate Tri forum 37 75.51%
    Keep the current subforum as part of A/R/T 11 22.45%
    Merge everything back to A/R/T 1 2.04%

Can we now sort out a separate forum please? Those are the numbers as they currently stand, it's pretty overwhelming there is a desire for a standalone Tri forum. It would be useful if it was in place before the start of the racing season.

(There's a thread showing upcoming races people intend doing, which should give an indication as to the crossover appeal or otherwise of AR, but in any case it's a side issue).

(There's a thread showing upcoming races people intend doing, which should give an indication as to the crossover appeal or otherwise of AR, but in any case it's a side issue).

(of the 11 people who said they intended to take part in an adventure race in the next 12 months, 7 also intended to take part in a triathlon)

Let me put up another poll for details...

(of the 11 people who said they intended to take part in an adventure race in the next 12 months, 7 also intended to take part in a triathlon)

And of those 11:

10 indicated they would take part in a road running race.
    8 also indicated they would take part in a mountain run.
    7 also indicated they would take part in a marathon.

It's a side issue.

That other poll you put up is a mess.

1. It isn't a side issue. If we request a new forum, we have to either request "Triathlon" or "Triathlon & Adventure racing". I'll support one but not the other.
    2. Everybody put down road racing.
    3. Suggest a new format for the poll, and I'd be happy to change it. But it makes sense to ask for the subforums to be set up at the same time as the main forum. No point in coming back to the admins a couple of weeks later and saying, "oh yeah..."

3. Suggest a new format for the poll, and I'd be happy to change it.

Do you work for Fianna Fail? What do the poll results of this thread tell you?

Shotgun knows his stuff, he's the Tri mod, whatever he decides regarding AR's and subforums is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

1. It isn't a side issue. If we request a new forum, we have to either request "Triathlon" or "Triathlon & Adventure racing". I'll support one but not the other.
    2. Everybody put down road racing.
    3. Suggest a new format for the poll, and I'd be happy to change it. But it makes sense to ask for the subforums to be set up at the same time as the main forum. No point in coming back to the admins a couple of weeks later and saying, "oh yeah..."

I vote for one forum only.

Triathlon please.

No interest in following the running forum or any other forum

• Advertisement

Do you work for Fianna Fail? What do the poll results of this thread tell you?

Shotgun knows his stuff, he's the Tri mod, whatever he decides regarding AR's and subforums is good enough.

The poll results of this thread tell me that people want a full forum, not a subforum or to be merged back. They say nothing about what subforums there should be in that new forum, and nothing about the status of adventure racing.

shotgun is the mod of this subforum. I'm a mod of Athletics/Running/Triathlon.
    I'm not saying this to pull rank on shotgun, who I think is doing a good job, but to point out that I have to consider the wishes of all the people who use the A/R/T forum. That includes Adventure racers. There is clearly a large crossover in the population of people who do triathlons and the people who do other multisport races, and many common concerns. I think they fit better in a forum with triathletes than in a forum with just runners.

Advertisement