Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shootings In France

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I see my OP plea to avoid sectarianism has fallen on deaf ears....
    SamHarris wrote: »
    The most (........)commented on show the extent to which a little more self criticism may be needed.

Nobody denies theres a problem with extremist Islamic ideology. Another problem is the kind of scaremongering, generalisations and nonsense fired at the muslim community in general.
    SamHarris wrote: »
    whilst even the most mainstream and powerful Muslim orientated dialogue generators ( I think of al Jazeera) still have their entire programming based around a tone of self rightousness and self pity.

...dear o dear....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

tolosenc wrote: »
    As a result, there is a feeling among Muslims that they are second class citizens (although any discrimination is either non-existant or mostly self inflicted). ...........

'...there is none, but if there is, it's their own fault'. Lovely.

Research begs to differ.
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2010/11/22/fake-cvs-reveal-discrimination-against-muslims-in-french-job-market/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4399748.stm

Sorry, no. I lived in Toulouse for years and while this part of your post rings perfectly true ...
    I used to live in Toulouse. There is a dynamic in France, particularly in the Midi, which is hard to really grasp without actually spending time there. For the most part, Algerians have totally failed to integrate into the society as a whole and live in ghettoised neighbourhoods of tower block government apartments. The level of distrust and hatred between the Algerians (the majority of whom are born and raised in France) and the French is startling. The two do not mix. Similar in ways to the Traveller community here. There is a high amount of crime in these areas and they are quite hostile to outsiders (as I found out to the tune of a broken collar bone at one point).

... there's an element of "cart before the horse" in this part of your post:
    As a result, there is a feeling among Muslims that they are second class citizens

You're saying that because they segregate themselves they feel like second class citizens? These people were ghettoized in the 1960s and ghettos are not easy to get out of.
    although any discrimination is either non-existant or mostly self inflicted

Except, perhaps, in extremely limited circumstances, this is just not true. I remember an proposal which was discussed about 4 years ago where employers would not be allowed to see the name of the candidate on the CV because the name alone could lead to discrimination. Why would something as dramatic as that need to be considered if the discrimination was non-existent?

And, for the record, I have no sympathy for people like this guy or the rioters (who burned their own neighbourhoods and neighbours property) or criminals of this (or any) class ... they're an insult to the good people who work hard to live their lives peacefully and lawfully and they make things more difficult for good, honest people to change perceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

brimal wrote: »
    Reports say there was two gun shots heard overnight from inside the house

Did he miss the first the first time? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

French police rep. giving an interview on Sky News now. Shooter was alive this morning, when the police went in. He came out of the bathroom shooting at the police, who fired back. He jumped out the window and was found dead on the ground. Two gendarmes have minor injuries.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

My question is about definitions

Was this guy
    An Islamic Nutter
    Or
    A Nutter who happened to be Islamic

ie were there verified links to other nutter organizations, or did h e just decide off his own bat to slaughter his way to paradise?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

jumped out a window, shooting at everyone. Like something from Die Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Number of people killed by Islamist terrorist attacks in Europe since 2005 until this attack: 0
    Number of Islamist terrorist attacks in Europe in 2009 out of a total of 294: 1
    Number of Islamist terrorist attacks in Europe in 2010 out a total of 249: 3
    How convenient to start at 2005, just after Beslan and the London bombings.
    Also you forget about averted attacks
    https://www.europol.europa.eu/sites/default/files/publications/te-sat2011.pdf
    2011: The threat of attacks by Islamist terrorists in the EU remains high and diverse.
    In the past year, several EU Member States have successfully prevented attacks by Islamist terrorist groups, which aimed to cause mass casualties. During 2010, 179 individuals were arrested for offences linked to Islamist terrorism, representing a 50% increase compared with 2009. Furthermore a higher proportion of those arrests related to the preparation of attacks in the EU (47% compared with 10% in 2009).
    Additionally, the high number of threat statements to the EU (46) posted by Islamist terrorist organisations or their media fronts indicates terrorist groups’ clear intent to target the European Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sky News replayed the "soundtrack" to the final events. Two long bursts from multiple automatic weapons. The guy definitely had some firepower - a Kalashnikov of some sort?
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Was this guy
    An Islamic Nutter
    Or
    He trained at Jihadist camps in Waziristan, fought in Afghanistan, had at least one automatic weapon, and explicitly targeted a Jewish school. What more detail do we need?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Was this guy
    An Islamic Nutter
    Or

They are both the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Also, I knew that this idiot would be a Muslim. I must be psychic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To be fair to the police, they were very patient compared to your typical US swat team.

I'm seeing a lot over ridiculous criticism on US news sites comments section about how long they took to 'take him out'. It's mostly just the usual anti-French nonsense you see in the US and British media.

They weren't going to risk officers lives or members of the public by unnecessarily provoking a very violent response.

They'd also probably have preferred to take him alive so they could establish more facts about his motives, connections and whether there could be any others.

Nasty situation that was ended as best as the police could manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I heard about the jewish kids I knew it could only be nazis or extremist muslims. Or nazi muslims, not unheard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Wow, this is going to be an awesome movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

It's awful to hear bout those poor people killed.

If the reports are true about him jumping out the window, what a fûcking coward...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Yeah he's dead!

• Mohammed Merah killed in firefight with police
    • Gunman leapt from window still shooting
    • 'Al-Qaeda' gunman began 'shooting madly'
    • Merah found dead on ground outside flat
    • Two police injured, one with foot wound
    • 32-hour siege ends in five-minute gun battle
    • More than 300 rounds fired in fierce exchange
    • Officers storm building after series of explosions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9157126/Toulouse-siege-live.html

Burn in hell you son of a bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

biko wrote: »
    When I heard about the jewish kids I knew it could only be nazis or extremist muslims. Or nazi muslims, not unheard of.

Plenty of Muslims also fought on the side of the allies (in fact the number would easily dwarf the number who fought on the sides of the Nazi's). Many btw fought on the side of the French and British, who came from there colonies. Also, some of the soldiers killed by this nutter, also killed soldiers of Arab descent, who were likely Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

"Gunman leapt from window still shooting"

thought he was Max Paine!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

RichieC wrote: »
    "Gunman leapt from window still shooting"

thought he was Max Paine!

Pane would have been better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The Guardian being pretty foolish again today with one of their commentators pointing the finger at Sarkozy, Le Pen, and a few others.

Of course, it simply can't be the fault of one psychotic individual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The Guardian is just another extreme, but at the other end of the spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

discus wrote: »
    The Guardian is just another extreme, but at the other end of the spectrum.

:rolleyes: Yea, the Guardian is extreme...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

1346: Mohammed Merah was killed by a bullet in the head from a police sniper as he tried to flee, Mr Molins said - BBC NEWS LIVE FEED .

HEADSHOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fell or thrown out the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

He murdered children in cold blood intentionally!

Im so so sorry for the Childrens families

Im angry that the french gave him a mobile phone to say goodbye to his family...

Of course his family are gonna tell him to die by the sword instead of in a jail!

Very disappointed with the French! Sarkozy is only thinking about elections - a swot team should have jumped him from behind and taken him ALIVE! if 100 police officers died then SO BE IT - he SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO DIE & NOT SUFFER like the parents of the children will do for life! this would have saved future lives! lucky for the french police family though i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Wow, this is going to be an awesome movie.

Spielberg is already thought to have Procured the footage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Cant wait to see cars and what not go up in flames in the banlieus because he was treated so unfair by the police.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    if 100 police officers died then SO BE IT

What?
    You wanted him alive, even if 100 gendarmes died in the process?
    :/

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the French! Sarkozy is only thinking about elections - a swot team should have jumped him from behind and taken him ALIVE! if 100 police officers died then SO BE IT

Oh for fúck sake.

There is nothing Sarkozy (and "the French" :rolleyes:) wanted more than to take this guy alive and parade him around as a symbol of how completely un-racist he is leading up to the coming elections where the biggest problem for him is courting the far right vote without looking like a racist to the rest of the electorate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why do extremist muslims hate jews now? I thought it was just us western infidels. To be honest when I heard that he was targetting jews and it was in the south of france i knew the guy was going to be some sort of extremist muslim.

Advertisement