Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mother wants me to take her to knock

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It was added so people would know that the poster was already banned and there was no need to report it.

And Keith likes to play with buttons :p

I will never trust the words "Mod: banned" again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Tonight while I was in the middle of a college assignment my mother asked me to take her to knock during my summer holidays. I was completely perplexed by this request, she knows of my atheism (not so much my deep seated hatred of the catholic church)and that I am currently flat out in college so why would the Mammy asks me of all people to take her to knock.

I despise all things religious and going to knock is pretty much my worst nightmare It will be my mother going around the place praying, reading prayers to me off souvineers. My mother is getting more religious as time goes on, there is a big holy Mary statue in my living room and she always has candles lighting under the fecking thing.

So how do I tell the mammy that knock is a no no, without her going off and praying for my soul.

Have a read through this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056580661

if thats not food for thought I don't know what is!

p.s. I hope you both enjoy Knock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OP, I'm not remotely religious either, but you asked AH for its opinion, and The People Have Spoken. Its a pity its not a poll, it would be nice to see the big long bar that says "Take Mammy To Knock".

So, are you going to take any notice ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Tonight while I was in the middle of a college assignment my mother asked me to take her to knock during my summer holidays. I was completely perplexed by this request, she knows of my atheism (not so much my deep seated hatred of the catholic church)and that I am currently flat out in college so why would the Mammy asks me of all people to take her to knock.

I despise all things religious and going to knock is pretty much my worst nightmare It will be my mother going around the place praying, reading prayers to me off souvineers. My mother is getting more religious as time goes on, there is a big holy Mary statue in my living room and she always has candles lighting under the fecking thing.

So how do I tell the mammy that knock is a no no, without her going off and praying for my soul.
    Tell her its a 'travellers only' resort

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Knock Knock Knockin' on heaven's door, hey, hey , hey hey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Completely your choice at the end of the day, but if it was my mam, I'd do it, Id put aside your religious views ect and college workload. Its one day and you dont have to participate in it at all. Just be there for your mam.

I dont see how it has anything to do with you at all, other than the fact she needs a way to get there and some company, I know this is not a comparission, but I hate furniture and Plant stores, but my mam loves them and would spend hours in there milling around. Now she often asks me to bring her into the town and go with her, we usually have lunch afterwards together. But I wouldnt begrudge her the trip due to personal issues, even though Id rather stare at paint dry than spend hours in those places. But I love my Mam and I know she's loves that and thats what matters. theres no moral ground here, id just do that for her. Wouldnt even have to think twice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Push aside your bigotry for a day and do something your mom would enjoy with you. Before you get any ideas either, I'm an atheist. Your mom's religious, it offers her comfort and happiness whether you (and me) believe it to be illogical. Accept her wishes and stop being so self-centred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Meh. Más mian liom labhairt i nGaeilge beidh mé é a dhéanamh.
    No offence Jim but it looks to me like you need to brush up on the Irish you profess to being so fond of speaking.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Jeez, she asked you (on mothers day !) to take her for a spin up to knock, not the moon.

Man up and start the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

As an atheist, I'd be happy to bring my mother to Knock if it meant something to her. Prioritising a militant atheist stance just makes you look like a dick-head, to be honest. There are more important things in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Well, you only have one mum and unless she wants you to go to the Mass every Sunday /or even everyday/, why don't you entertain her just for the one time. Now, I'm not religious and fortunately neither is my mum but if she wanted me to take her to some sort of shamany holy dancing place, I'd do it because I only have one mum and she doesn't need to have same interests as me.
    Also, having a child of my own I can now understand the sacrifices of my own mother better. If you have to go through several Barney's and Dora's and the most popular music in your car is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star karaoke, you know, there will be a time when the child will have to pay back :cool:
    How about you try persuading her to take a likewise inclined friend of hers on the trip and while they have a competition on who bought the kitschiest rosary you have a look around the town, disappear to the next pub etc.? Who knows, by the time the trip is over you will become religious yourself, praying that the place is hit by a flash of lightning and burned down so you never have to go back. Still, it's your mum and believe me, she wasn't really that interested in the latest adventures of Fireman Sam or Thomas the Tank Engine when you thought they were the best so make her happy by doing some extra for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

OP I'm hot sexy and single for the time being.

I will gladly take your mum to knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

How sad some people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Finally as for spending quality time with her, I ask her to go places and do things all the time, but she just wants to sit home like some auld one and whinge, so what I am supposed to drop everything at the first sign of her showing an interest in something.

I can't imagine why she wouldn't want to go places more often with you, you sound like a treasure of a son...
    I will take your mom to knock if you won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

OP you should go and be all Daniel O'Donnell-esque with a horrible jumper, nice to everyone, then troll the bejaysus out of everyone you meet (learn bible bits to discuss with them - the selling in the temple for the tacky souvenir shops for example)

then post the results here!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

St.Spodo wrote: »
    As an atheist, I'd be happy to bring my mother to Knock if it meant something to her. Prioritising a militant atheist stance just makes you look like a dick-head, to be honest. There are more important things in life.

Some people have perfectly rational reasons for despising the Catholic Church, so it's dumb to make blanket statements like that. Would you take your Mum to a Scientology conference abroad?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

phill106 wrote: »
    I can't imagine why she wouldn't want to go places more often with you, you sound like a treasure of a son...
    I will take your mom to knock if you won't!

Ah here now - the OP has already mentioned she's female after the multitude of dick jokes on the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Nesie

Okay first of all she's not that old, early 50's so she is perfectly capable of being Independant and going on her own.

The only reason I mentioned being flat out in college is because college work is the only thing that I am thinking about at the moment, the summer isn't even a blip on my radar.

Finally as for spending quality time with her, I ask her to go places and do things all the time, but she just wants to sit home like some auld one and whinge, so what I am supposed to drop everything at the first sign of her showing an interest in something.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I refused to go to mass last christmas for the first time. My family all go (aunts uncles etc included) together once a year but I just felt it went against what I believe in. I can understand where the OP is coming from in that it goes against what you believe. But really, forget the religion and pretend she asked you to go sight seeing somewhere, and only wants YOU, out of everyone, to go with her. Go to the place, have a look around, go home and enjoy your mothers company while you're doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Phantasos

Why are you making it all about yourself? You have different beliefs, that's cool. Just because you're atheist, it doesn't mean you can't bring your mother to Knock for the day.

As others have said, it's a day out with your mother - a chance for a good chat, something to eat and some quality time together. That's cool, you should be glad she wants to do that. You should be looking forward to it.

Knock isn't your thing, that's fine. But all the religious stuff aside, you can spend a couple of hours walking around or sitting in the churches and worse-case-scenario, you get to clear your head and have some peace and quiet for a while.

I think no matter what beliefs you have, it's really important to respect others' beliefs. It's a two-way street. And FFS, have a bit of respect for the woman that raised you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Go OP. As you get older a day trip with your Mum, wherever you may go, should be cherished.

The above also applies to trips with your Dad too.

I love my Mum and Dad I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Knock? Why not push the boat out and bring her to see the Holy Stone of Clonrichert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Op who wiped your arse before you were able to do it yourself? Take your mother to knock and stop complaining about it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Owen_S wrote: »
    Knock? Why not push the boat out and bring her to see the Holy Stone of Clonrichert?

Is that still a class 2?

Edit: OP, go to Knock with your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Just take her,there is a mad stoner bar with a rocking nightclub out back that you can spend all your time in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Sully34 wrote: »
    Just take her,there is a mad stoner bar with a rocking nightclub out back that you can spend all your time in

Knockers?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Shakti wrote: »
    Knockers?

Thats the one bud,mighty craic . A bit of a dive buts its anything goes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The very definition of a first world problem IMH.

Personally? One of the sharpest invectives I could use in the modern world is "priest". I hold the entity that is Catholic Church as a shining example (or is that a tarnished one) of one of the greater stones on the rough road of humanities path for most of it's history. Knock to me would be a backward centre of a lumpen stupid and insecure reminder of old and desperately stupid Ireland. The moving badly cast statue of villages.

My mother can be both (clinically)batty and downright nasty and has been a thundering wagon at times in my past. Some insults I will never forget, nor forgive, though I will accommodate them within myself. However she's also had her other kinder side and she raised me and in the early days did so with much real affection, concern and effort. Yes the balance as she ages tends towards the former, but so what? I've brought her(and other rellies) to Knock more than once and more than I cared to do so, but again so what?

As the first perfectly written reply by Deus Ex Machina said, she'll be gone soon enough and in a sooner instant than you think so will you. Suck it up, go with her and add rather than subtract some happiness in the world, even if it saps yours for a day. It's part of being human. At the end of that day, you may be tired, even pissed off, but you will have a home to go to and a meal to eat and all the rest you take for granted. Something half the world this very night won't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement