Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mother wants me to take her to knock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Tonight while I was in the middle of a college assignment my mother asked me to take her to knock during my summer holidays. I was completely perplexed by this request, she knows of my atheism (not so much my deep seated hatred of the catholic church)and that I am currently flat out in college so why would the Mammy asks me of all people to take her to knock.

I despise all things religious and going to knock is pretty much my worst nightmare It will be my mother going around the place praying, reading prayers to me off souvineers. My mother is getting more religious as time goes on, there is a big holy Mary statue in my living room and she always has candles lighting under the fecking thing.

So how do I tell the mammy that knock is a no no, without her going off and praying for my soul.

Look, just bring her for feck's sake. How many places has she brought you down the years the SHE probably hated. Have a little compassion and love for a parent that gave birth to you, fed you, wiped your ass, stayed up at night with you, and is probably still looking after you.

Totally.

She helped create me, she started to carry me and feed me before I was born and she continued to do so for many a year after.

I owe her everything. She wants, I get.

It really is nice to see someone appreciate their parent. Both mine are dead (God rest them) and it will be upon you before you know it. Make the most of them. You only get one chance.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    What is Knock?
    :rolleyes:

Ha I wish, I pay for all my personal expenses, college, car, clothes, plus half of all household bills. I haven't taken money of either of my parents since I was 16.

Do you want a medal? How much did you cost them before that? Ever though about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Just go to Knock............ Airport and get absolutely hammered with your ma in Salou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

at the early age of 38 me mother sent me west... get up says she and get a job, says i i'll do me best, i pulled on me wellingtons to march to kiltimagh, but I took a wrong turn in charlestown and ended up in knock.

knocks not that bad and this coming from an atheist, i live about 15 miles away, yes its extremely tacky with its burger joints, shops selling souvenirs etc, its actually ok around the middle of august (13-21st) when the big pilgrimages take place from all over ireland and the village is packed to bursting point,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Maybe she meant the airport? Off to spain or germany maybe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Stop being selfish and just go. Just smile and say, "Yes, Mammy" if she tries to save your eternal soul and be grateful that you can do such a simple thing to bring a lot of joy to your mother. This day-trip would be about her not you, so stop complaining that you'll have to put up with religion for a day. It's not a big deal, but it would probably mean an awful lot to her.

Frankly, I think you need to get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You should definitely take her. Bring a magazine and read in the car while she's off gallivanting on her holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Just drive her there, you don't have to take part in it. Do something else while she visits knock. I was there once and never again. It was a pointless trip.

Westport and Galway wouldn't be far you could go away for a few days yourself like while she is in Knock. Save you a lot of time. Have a holiday of your own too depending how long she wants to go away for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sure just bring an ipod with you so you can drown out the Latin mass. Or why dont you offer to take her to the Electric Picnic instead.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

This thread really puts things in perspective for me, actually wanna make an effort for Mother's Day now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What is Knock?

It's a holy site like Lourdes and Medjugorje that Mary is supposed to have appeared at. It is in Mayo though, and you'd probably burst into flame upon stepping into RoI territory :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My mother asks me to take her to play cards when I'm home. Do I like playing bridge with old ladies over a rabble of local gossip? No.

But it doesn't cost anything to show some gratitude to your Mum when you're in a position to do so. You might also be surprised how these small gestures can make your parents glad they've raised you well, and you never know, you might even get to know your Mum as a person, in a way that you may not have.

And what better way than a road trip. This could be the making of a wonderful teen movie.
    What is Knock?
    I think you know perfectly well what Knock is KeithAFC.

It's the administrative capital of Ireland where Rome Rule is enforced and plots against unionism are devised to the tune of Come Out Yee Black & Tans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Oh for Christs sake OP get over yourself and being your mam wherever she wants to go. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

OP bring your Mum to Knock and stop being so awfully selfish. You won't even be in college during the summer so stop using that as an excuse for being a spoiled brat.

As someone else says, when my Mum asks me to do something, I do it. Unless it is painting a wall... in that case I did about a quarter of it about two years ago. Must paint that wall this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'd just humour her. Good opportunity to soften her up and try to talk her into laying some bread on you so that you can make a trip abroad "as an optional part of your college education, but it will be well worth it". When you get the spondulicks, you can use it for a trip to Bangkok and some of the knockin shops there. You don't have to compromise your atheism at all. What you will be doing is only borrowing a Christian weapon - hypocrisy - for a while.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Jesus OP you'd swear she was asking you to do something completely horrific. Just go with her for flip's sake. If this is the worst thing you ever have to do for a parent then you're lucky. One of my best friends is dealing with having to drive her mother to chemotherapy sessions every few weeks in Dublin. That's bloody hard. A measly trip to Knock is not. Get over yourself, bite your tongue and go, it'll be over in one day and you won't have to think about it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

How about this for a compromise....bring her to Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

go and spend the day trolling the oul wans, print out some Hitchens quotes and stick them to things for extra measure

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    go and spend the day trolling the oul wans, print out some Hitchens quotes and stick them to things for extra measure

I'm sure it will worry them.:rolleyes:

later12 wrote: »
    My mother asks me to take her to play cards when I'm home. Do I like playing bridge with old ladies over a rabble of local gossip? No.

But it doesn't cost anything to show some gratitude to your Mum when you're in a position to do so. You might also be surprised how these small gestures can make your parents glad they've raised you well, and you never know, you might even get to know your Mum as a person, in a way that you may not have.

And what better way than a road trip. This could be the making of a wonderful teen movie.

I think you know perfectly well what Knock is KeithAFC.

It's the administrative capital of Ireland where Rome Rule is enforced and plots against unionism are devised to the tune of Come Out Yee Black & Tans.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

You get a good mass in Knock. I will say that much for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

You get mad at someone speaking a bit of Irish that is quite easy to understand.
    To those of us who don't speak the language despite having it rammed down out throats for up to 14 years by linguistic fascists, it might as well be f*cking Swahili language written in Mongolian script.

You have a whole f*cking forum, nay bunch of forums for that crap. Plz keep it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

SeanW wrote: »
    To those of us who don't speak the language despite having it rammed down out throats for up to 14 years by linguistic fascists, it might as well be f*cking Swahili language written in Mongolian script.

You have a whole f*cking forum, nay bunch of forums for that crap. Plz keep it there.

Well I have little sympathy for you if after 14 years you can't understand a little Irish.

And as Irish is the first official language of this country then I or anyone else on this site should be allowed to respond as Gaeilge if we want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

And as Irish is the first official language of this country then I or anyone else on this site should be allowed to respond as Gaeilge if we want to.
    Not at all. This isn't a state website. It's up to whoever owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Fcuk it,

I'll take your ma.

Let's make a day of it and a few of us will go. We can take the mother, the dog and a picnic and stop off somewhere nice en route, and if the dog will stay put, we could stop off for dinner on the way home. It's a part of the country I'm not familiar with, so I might head off and take some photos while others can do they praying bit. Sounds like a nice day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Tonight while I was in the middle of a college assignment my mother asked me to take her to knock during my summer holidays. I was completely perplexed by this request, she knows of my atheism (not so much my deep seated hatred of the catholic church)and that I am currently flat out in college so why would the Mammy asks me of all people to take her to knock.

I despise all things religious and going to knock is pretty much my worst nightmare It will be my mother going around the place praying, reading prayers to me off souvineers. My mother is getting more religious as time goes on, there is a big holy Mary statue in my living room and she always has candles lighting under the fecking thing.

So how do I tell the mammy that knock is a no no, without her going off and praying for my soul.

Start moving the statue around the house in the dead of night when your mothers asleep.Dress in black and put some fake blood on the palms of your
    hands and on your feet.Smile and stare aimlessly in to sky and talk gibberish at odd times.

Soon the coachloads of believers will start to arrive.

Don't forget to charge.:)

Yours MJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

later12 wrote: »
    Not at all. This isn't a state website. It's up to whoever owns it.

Meh. Más mian liom labhairt i nGaeilge beidh mé é a dhéanamh. Is cuma liom má tá sé faoi úinéireacht an stáit, tú féin nó aon duine eile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Freddie59 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Just a valid question. I didn't have a clue what it was. I ain't a Roman Catholic. Thanks for the replies people. :)

Advertisement