Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mother wants me to take her to knock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    KKkitty wrote: »
    Seriously OP Just bring your mam to Knock. My mam is dead and there's not 1 second that I don't think of stuff like why didn't I do this or that with her. She's done so much for you so do this for her. It's not like as soon as you reach Knock you'll disintegrate because of the sheer holiness of the place.

I know I must sound like a complete and utter bitch, especially as it is now mothers day. I just don't want to say yes and then when we end up in a big fight because I don't want to be there or she keeps pushing religious stuff on me making my resolve to pretend that I actually do want to be there fall to pieces.

Oh and thanks for making me laugh with those last couple of lines . :D
    Compromise then. Ask a friend if they want to go and you and your friend can do what ye like while your mam does what she wants. Don't bring a member of the opposite sex though. You'll surely be inundated with people offering to help cleanse your soul :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Seriously OP Just bring your mam to Knock. My mam is dead and there's not 1 second that I don't think of stuff like why didn't I do this or that with her. She's done so much for you so do this for her. It's not like as soon as you reach Knock you'll disintegrate because of the sheer holiness of the place.

I know I must sound like a complete and utter bitch, especially as it is now mothers day. I just don't want to say yes and then when we end up in a big fight because I don't want to be there or she keeps pushing religious stuff on me making my resolve to pretend that I actually do want to be there fall to pieces.

Compromise then. Ask a friend if they want to go and you and your friend can do what ye like while your mam does what she wants. Don't bring a member of the opposite sex though. You'll surely be inundated with people offering to help cleanse your soul :D

I highly doubt I could get anyone to go to knock with me, so would most likely bring dog and find somewhere to play frisbee.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Is there anything to be said for having another mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Knock is a fucking awful place - an ugly little village off the N17 frequented by weirdos & religious types and abandoned by all sane people.

The only good thing it has going for it is an airport.. oh wait, Knock airport isn't even in Knock.

Knock is a f[SIZE="2"]uc[/SIZE]king awful place - an ugly little village off the N17 frequented by weirdos & religious types and abandoned by all sane people.

The only good thing it has going for it is an airport.. oh wait, Knock airport isn't even in Knock.

Exactly how I pictured it so... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Never mind star, it's a lovely little village, sorry one street. Don't eat there food is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I highly doubt I could get anyone to go to knock with me, so would most likely bring dog and find somewhere to play frisbee.
    Mam's happy, the dog's happy, everyone wins :) the dog would probably think all those religious people are barking mad though :D

Just think of the way you pictured it, multiply that by a factor of 'ten times worse' and you're probably closer to the reality.

The most exciting thing in the whole place is a roundabout.

Just think of the way you pictured it, multiply that by a factor of 'ten times worse' and you're probably closer to the reality.

The most exciting thing in the whole place is a roundabout.

They have a roundabout now, who is responsible for that? a priest I suppose.

hondasam wrote: »
    They have a roundabout now, who is responsible for that? a priest I suppose.

They had a mass, prayed for one & it appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I would say your mother is entitled to all 3 of those.

They had a mass, prayed for one & it appeared.

I hope it does not move, it could go round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I would imagine that up until you turned into a completely independent 16 year old single lady that your mother might have made sacrifices to do something you would've liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Is there anything to be said for having another mass?

Oh God, I love sayin' mass.

OP, you should just take her. I'm not religious either, but I wouldn't mind visiting Knock for a day. Just out of idle curiosity.

It sounds like she might just want to spend some quality time with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You misheard her, she was asking for cóck.

Speaking of cocks, I see you've closed your account so I wonder what your next reincarnation will be.

Fcuk it,

I'll take your ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

OP think of it this way. When your Ma gets old and on that horrible day we all dread she passes away you will think 'wish I'd brought my Ma to knock that time'.

Just bring your Ma to knock. Bring a Book or a hand-held gamey thing with you and let her do her thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There's an Irish forum here so keep your cupla focail bullshít confined to there and don't expose the rest of us to a language that the majority here have already expressed they have no interest in or indeed want to see the death of.

Téigh trasna ort féin.

Speak for yourself.

Fcuk it,

I'll take your ma.

get me some holy water while you are there and light a candle for me.

I don't know about the rest of ye, but my Ma asks for something and I do it.

This way, the universe doesn't implode.

• Advertisement

Mommy's boy.

Fcuk it,

I'll take your ma.

By all means, save me from going. I can usually find something to entertain myself but somehow I think I will be at a loss in knock. And then of course there is the issue of my mother expecting me to take some sort of an interest in this, she might get to go to knock but she'll be measuring a long time for that!

hondasam wrote: »
    Mommy's boy.

Totally.

She helped create me, she started to carry me and feed me before I was born and she continued to do so for many a year after.

I owe her everything. She wants, I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,go along and dont be just thinkin of yourself.

Afterall its only a few hours out of your life.

And bite your lip with your Atheism and let her enjoy her holy Mary and Joseph moment.

Another thing,bring KeithAFC along with ye.Id say he would love to go to Knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

OP,go along and dont be just thinkin of yourself.

Afterall its only a few hours out of your life.

And bite your lip with your Atheism and let her enjoy her holy Mary and Joseph moment.

Another thing,bring KeithAFC along with ye.Id say he would love to go to Knock.
    What is Knock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It's the eve of Mothers day, surely it won't kill you to bring your mammy somewhere that means so much to her. Hey you never know you might even get something out of it yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

So you are somewhat refusing to go because your bring intolerant of others beliefs?
    On the other hand you say she is in her 50's. How old does she think she is?
    Mid 50's is pretty young my mother is 59 and if she even hinted there was anything she couldn't do on her own I would just not even bother listening because she can

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

KeithAFC wrote: »
    What is Knock?

Important Catholic town in Mayo. Scene of appearance (apparition) of Mary, Mother of God about 100 years ago. Held in reverence by Irish Catholics since then, a bit of a mini-Lourdes.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mickey Lover

Would it be such a big deal to spend a few hours or a day being with your mother doing something that she would really like to do ?

Before you go explain to her that you know it's very important to her (her beliefs) and that you are looking forward to be going there to spend the time with her, that way she knows you are going for her and not necessarily to be immersed in religion.

Having been there before, yeah there's mass etc. but I was amazed at the stalls etc. it's like that Fr Ted episode " you have now used 2cm of tape, God Bless You" :D

Take it from one who knows - we're not here forever and it's nice to have no regrets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Knock, knock

who's there

moeklmork91's ma, get me to knock already

Advertisement