Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mother wants me to take her to knock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Just a valid question. I didn't have a clue what it was. I ain't a Roman Catholic. Thanks for the replies people. :)

Ya are so a Catholic :pac::pac::pac: pull the other one Keith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

You'll do as your mammy tells you. Think of the things she did for you that she didn't necessarily want to do. Suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Its always the things you did with your mother you think of when she's gone. Thankfully my mother wasn't particularly religious and didn't ask to be taken to Knock(I have been but not with my mother - spent more time talking to the wee cats all around than doing anything religous) but I was dragged to see oul doting great aunties and uncles out in the sticks every summer, at least in Knock you can have a wee wander off by yourself(nice views of the hills in the background)! Try and go first thing in the morning if you can, there is a lot less folk about to annoy you,(especially the loud prayers who also have a tendecy to kneel at every we holy bit and MUST appear holy - Father Ted has nothing on these wans) have a wee meander - you never know,those cats can be pretty good conversionalists:rolleyes:

Good luck whatever you decide:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Meh. Más mian liom labhairt i nGaeilge beidh mé é a dhéanamh. Is cuma liom má tá sé faoi úinéireacht an stáit, tú féin nó aon duine eile.

An fádh nach bfhuil tú inann póstáil in aon theanga seachas Béarla ná ní thuigfear an cud is mó de na léitheoirí céard atá tú ag rá, níl ann ach dea-bhéasa.

The reason you cannot post in an language other then English is that the majority of posters will not understand, so it's basically good manners.

Please don't do it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'd say bring her but just pretend that you're in the middle of a zombie movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Totally.

She helped create me, she started to carry me and feed me before I was born and she continued to do so for many a year after.

I owe her everything. She wants, I get.

If I thought like that my mother would think she failed me. And if the baby I'm currently carrying, who is currently making me as sick as a very sick dog, ever thinks like that I'll know I've failed him/her too. I as an adult made a choice to get pregnant, to stay pregnant, to raise it well once it's born. I did that to fulfil my desire to be a parent, the kid has no choice in it. And while I hope my baby grows to love and respect me as a person s/he will owe me nothing for the choices I made without his/her input.

I adore my mother and classify her as one of my best friends, not out of a sense of duty but because I like her. I call her for a chat most days because I enjoy our conversations and respect her opinions, not out of guilt or out of fear of feeling guilt when she dies. And a big part of the reason why I like my mother so much is because she respects the adult that I am and my choices, even if she doesn't always agree with them. She has never treated me like someone who owes her anything (unless I've borrwed something she wants back).

In this case the OP's mother doesn't seem to respect her choices much. The OP has said she often suggests things they could do together but her mother never wants to do anything with her. The OP, knowing her mother better than any of us, has a strong suspicion that her mother wants to go on this trip together so she can push her religion on her. Nobody should have to put up with that, it's not intolerant to not want to get involved in someone else's beliefs, it is in fact intolerant to try and push yours on them.

In you case OP I suggest telling your mother you'll bring her up for the day, your location says Limerick so it'll be just over a 4 hour round trip. Tell her once you get to Knock she can do her religious thing for a few hours and once she's done you'll drive her back and treat her to a late lunch/early supper in Galway on the way home. That way you've brought her out for the day, avoided what you know will be a flash point and can spend time with her over a meal and on the car journeys. If that's not good enough for her then you know your instincts are correct and she is trying to 'win you back to the fold' rather hoping to spend a nice day in your company. And nobody owes anyone a day of religious indoctrination no matter how many stitches she needed after labour.

iguana wrote: »
    If I thought like that my mother would think she failed me. And if the baby I'm currently carrying, who is currently making me as sick as a very sick dog, ever thinks like that I'll know I've failed him/her too. I as an adult made a choice to get pregnant, to stay pregnant, to raise it well once it's born. I did that to fulfil my desire to be a parent, the kid has no choice in it. And while I hope my baby grows to love and respect me as a person s/he will owe me nothing for the choices I made without his/her input.

I adore my mother and classify her as one of my best friends, not out of a sense of duty but because I like her. I call her for a chat most days because I enjoy our conversations and respect her opinions, not out of guilt or out of fear of feeling guilt when she dies. And a big part of the reason why I like my mother so much is because she respects the adult that I am and my choices, even if she doesn't always agree with them. She has never treated me like someone who owes her anything (unless I've borrwed something she wants back).

In this case the OP's mother doesn't seem to respect her choices much. The OP has said she often suggests things they could do together but her mother never wants to do anything with her. The OP, knowing her mother better than any of us, has a strong suspicion that her mother wants to go on this trip together so she can push her religion on her. Nobody should have to put up with that, it's not intolerant to not want to get involved in someone else's beliefs, it is in fact intolerant to try and push yours on them.

In you case OP I suggest telling your mother you'll bring her up for the day, your location says Limerick so it'll be just over a 4 hour round trip. Tell her once you get to Knock she can do her religious thing for a few hours and once she's done you'll drive her back and treat her to a late lunch/early supper in Galway on the way home. That way you've brought her out for the day, avoided what you know will be a flash point and can spend time with her over a meal and on the car journeys. If that's not good enough for her then you know your instincts are correct and she is trying to 'win you back to the fold' rather hoping to spend a nice day in your company. And nobody owes anyone a day of religious indoctrination no matter how many stitches she needed after labour.

My mother carried 11 children so I can safety say she didn't make a choice as an adult to have me :p

that a side, I thought the tone of my post would reflect how I feel my mother is a top notch person and I would do everything in my power to appease her. Not because of guilt but it makes me happy knowing my mother is happy.

As an adult I appreciated even more the sacrifices she made so i and my siblings could have a happy childhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Has she not fulfilled her dream yet

just drop her off there n tell her to knock herself out

that a side, I thought the tone of my post would reflect how I feel my mother is a top notch person and I would do everything in my power to appease her. Not because of guilt but it makes me happy knowing my mother is happy.

If your feelings for your mother are because she is a top notch person then surely you'd understand that not everyone gets a top notch mother and they, as a result, won't feel like you do. Neither of us has any idea what type of person the OP's mother is, so trying to guilt her into doing anything her mother wants just because she is her mother is extremely unfair.

If your feelings for your mother are because she is a top notch person then surely you'd understand that not everyone gets a top notch mother and they, as a result, won't feel like you do. Neither of us has any idea what type of person the OP's mother is, so trying to guilt her into doing anything her mother wants just because she is her mother is extremely unfair.

First off, I wasn't addressing the OP in that post. If the OP feels guilt that's not really my concern nor was it my intent.

My post reflected on how I feel about my mother, not on how others should feel about theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Mams can be batty and hard to get along with but ultimately; they nurtured us.

First off, I wasn't addressing the OP in that post. If the OP feels guilt that's not really my concern nor was it my intent.

My post reflected on how I feel about my mother, not on how others should feel about theirs.

This is a thread about the OP's dilemma, not a how we feel about our mother's thread. Anyone who posts about their relationship with their mother in this thread can expect to have their replies read in the context of how it applies to the OP. A reply of which the gist is 'I'd do anything for my mother as I owe her my life,' will be taken as a fairly direct criticism of someone who doesn't want to take their mother on a trip the mother has asked to be taken on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If yore Ma goes to Knock, make sure she wears some sunglasses - you don't want her going blind when she starts staring at the sun ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This is a thread about the OP's dilemma, not a how we feel about our mother's thread. Anyone who posts about their relationship with their mother in this thread can expect to have their replies read in the context of how it applies to the OP. A reply of which the gist is 'I'd do anything for my mother as I owe her my life,' will be taken as a fairly direct criticism of someone who doesn't want to take their mother on a trip the mother has asked to be taken on.

Threads develop naturally.
    I wasn't criticising the poster, I was responding to another poster who addressed me.

Had I said "You owe your mother your life as she carried and cared for you for years" I would see your point.

Threads develop naturally.
    I wasn't criticising the poster, I was responding to another poster who addressed me.

Fair enough and at least now if she reads through the thread that will be clear to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

She's your mother, if it makes her happy, just bring her, enjoy the feeling of doing something for her. Sure today of all days, we should all take some time to remember everything that your mother has done for you.

You don't have to turn into Father Ted when you're down there, go off and have a few pints like Father Jack instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Tonight while I was in the middle of a college assignment my mother asked me to take her to knock during my summer holidays. I was completely perplexed by this request, she knows of my atheism (not so much my deep seated hatred of the catholic church)and that I am currently flat out in college so why would the Mammy asks me of all people to take her to knock.

I despise all things religious and going to knock is pretty much my worst nightmare It will be my mother going around the place praying, reading prayers to me off souvineers. My mother is getting more religious as time goes on, there is a big holy Mary statue in my living room and she always has candles lighting under the fecking thing.

So how do I tell the mammy that knock is a no no, without her going off and praying for my soul.

I might be passing Knock tomorrow. I'll stop and say a prayer for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

I'm an atheist too yet I love Knock, lots of happy memories of going there as a child. I always stop there when passing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You get mad at someone speaking a bit of Irish that is quite easy to understand (the English translation is written out just above it ffs)

Not to state the bleedin' obvious, but it's not ''that easy'' to understand if you don't know the language ffs. How is someone supposed to know that the bit written above it is the English translation if they don't know the Irish translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,182 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Okay first of all she's not that old, early 50's so she is perfectly capable of being Independant and going on her own.

The only reason I mentioned being flat out in college is because college work is the only thing that I am thinking about at the moment, the summer isn't even a blip on my radar.

Finally as for spending quality time with her, I ask her to go places and do things all the time, but she just wants to sit home like some auld one and whinge, so what I am supposed to drop everything at the first sign of her showing an interest in something.

Why you? Why not let someone who would apprecaite it more take her?
    Here, you, f*ck off with this gimmick. There's an Irish forum here so keep your cupla focail bullshít confined to there and don't expose the rest of us to a language that the majority here have already expressed they have no interest in or indeed want to see the death of.

Mod note: Banned.

Gotta love a post that picks up 20 odd thanks and gets the poster banned!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Gotta love a post that picks up 20 odd thanks and gets the poster banned!

The poster wasn't banned for that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I decided to do a little detour today and stopped of in knock, lit a few candles, said a few prayers and got holy water.
    OP it's not that bad, go on a nice day and sit and people watch while your mom does her thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My mother had to go to hospital today. I'm still waiting to hear how she's getting on. My father died twelve years ago and my biggest nightmare would be losing my mother too.

Do your mother a favour and stop making a big deal about nothing.

The poster wasn't banned for that post.

My apologies then. Keith M89 taking the piss or have a change of heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

OP, if you bring her to Knock and have the craic you'll probably be upgraded in the will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Just takin the piss ;)
    That edit button is so big and shiny.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Just takin the piss ;)
    That edit button is so big and shiny.

yeah, i want one of those.!!

cassel16 wrote: »
    OP, if you bring her to Knock and have the craic you'll probably be upgraded in the will

Craic? In Knock? Are you mad?! Second part of your post makes a good point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Tonight while I was in the middle of a college assignment my mother asked me to take her to knock during my summer holidays. I was completely perplexed by this request, she knows of my atheism (not so much my deep seated hatred of the catholic church)and that I am currently flat out in college so why would the Mammy asks me of all people to take her to knock.

I despise all things religious and going to knock is pretty much my worst nightmare It will be my mother going around the place praying, reading prayers to me off souvineers. My mother is getting more religious as time goes on, there is a big holy Mary statue in my living room and she always has candles lighting under the fecking thing.

So how do I tell the mammy that knock is a no no, without her going off and praying for my soul.
    Seriously, your mother asks you to take her Knock and you won't. You'll be free of college in the summer. Go have a coffee in one ofthe many cafes there while your mother prays,etc.
    PS: Refusal on mothers day is a no no.

• Advertisement

It was added so people would know that the poster was already banned and there was no need to report it.

And Keith likes to play with buttons :p

Advertisement