Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Tried to change Password, entered new one, pressed Confirm - applied settings, did a reboot to be sure,, did not keep new password ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

Mr.S wrote: »
    [url]Http://192.168.192.1[/url]

Login and Password are admin

& you don't need to use the horizon box as your hub, you can just connect to an existing network.

Research before you diss UPC :pac: :rolleyes: You know how to setup NAS and use a Linux machine, but simple things like looking up the IP address to access the router? c'mon!

Did you pay for the router UPC supplied? If you didn't then i'm pretty sure they still own it! Which is why they ask for it back when you cancel the service.

You'll probably be able to get it back if you ask them though, no one took mine!

Of course i paid for it. I have a written contract stating that i paid for the Router, TV Set Box and Free Installation was "included" in the package. Then UPC demanded for the equipment to be returned today.

As for the login address i done some google searches and i couldn't find anything. I tried "upc port forwarding horizon" , "upc router login address" and i tried standards like 192.168.1.1, .1.0, .0.1, .254 etc to no success

Thanks anyway, now to drill it into my head that it is http://192.168.192.1/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

rcanpolat wrote: »

You could just bookmark it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

Inquitus wrote: »
    You could just bookmark it :P

bookmark tab is full of shortcuts to my nas and headless linux. not another bookmark! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

As for the login address i done some google searches and i couldn't find anything. I tried "upc port forwarding horizon" , "upc router login address" and i tried standards like 192.168.1.1, .1.0, .0.1, .254 etc to no success

You can change it in the router config, I like mine to be 192.168.0.1 for example. Then the DHCP will assign anything above that to your devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rafloution wrote: »
    If your connected to the net on your laptop run ip config and take a look at the DNS server this is your router. Default log in admin admin.

With regards to your other questions I would have expected some research by yourself before implementing it.

The gateway is your router, DNS is the name server used to resolve URLs

Of course i paid for it. I have a written contract stating that i paid for the Router, TV Set Box and Free Installation was "included" in the package. Then UPC demanded for the equipment to be returned today.

http://192.168.192.1/
    Most people's contract say the hardware remains the property of UPC which is much better than SKY as this means they replace faulty products for free as yhey own it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Does anyone know if it's one per a household or could you get another one for multiroom on public release?

Remember that old box, you could move programme listing to any day of the week and future record something

How do we do that on the Horizon Box

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DonegalKid

Hi all,

So I got this new Horizon system installed yesterday lunchtime. Have a couple of comments/questions that someone may be able to answer....

Anybody having issues with a intermittent blue/green screen flashing up? I've been onto UPC and they are blaming the fact I have a Philips TV and there is an incompatibility issue on HDMI between Horizon and the TV. Done some research and it would seem in the Netherlands there have been huge numbers of problems with this and not just philips. TV model is 42PFL9664/12. UPC suggested I might have to connect via scart to resolve this issue. Big fail if that is the case.

It would be a great feature if you could access a NAS drive on the network through this system. Would make my WD HD box nearly redundant. That said, anybody know if Netflix will be added as one of the inbuilt apps?

The USB ports on the back of the unit - I'm guessing just designed for additional drive space if required. Shame the box is unable to read external drives. The home network feature and the twonky software is utter useless in my mind at the moment. Having played with Twonky and DLNA in the past, this is something that I would not be too excited about. Functionality and performance is limited at best.

Other than that,
    its fast,
    the interface is very nice (still getting used to it),
    the removal of the smart card is an added bonus as my 2 year old can no longer yank it out.
    And its rather a nice looking piece of kit

Cheers
    D

• Advertisement

DonegalKid wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I got this new Horizon system installed yesterday lunchtime. Have a couple of comments/questions that someone may be able to answer....

Anybody having issues with a intermittent blue/green screen flashing up? I've been onto UPC and they are blaming the fact I have a Philips TV and there is an incompatibility issue on HDMI between Horizon and the TV. Done some research and it would seem in the Netherlands there have been huge numbers of problems with this and not just philips. TV model is 42PFL9664/12. UPC suggested I might have to connect via scart to resolve this issue. Big fail if that is the case.

It would be a great feature if you could access a NAS drive on the network through this system. Would make my WD HD box nearly redundant. That said, anybody know if Netflix will be added as one of the inbuilt apps?

The USB ports on the back of the unit - I'm guessing just designed for additional drive space if required. Shame the box is unable to read external drives. The home network feature and the twonky software is utter useless in my mind at the moment. Having played with Twonky and DLNA in the past, this is something that I would not be too excited about. Functionality and performance is limited at best.

Other than that,
    its fast,
    the removal of the smart card is an added bonus as my 2 year old can no longer yank it out.

Cheers
    D

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your TV? I have a Philips and had problems in the past but new firmware sorted itvout

Hi all,

It would be a great feature if you could access a NAS drive on the network through this system.

I was the same, but I had two of the TP Link PowerLine things,

One plugged into the Box and the other plugged into NAS in other room, under my devices on the box, it finds the NAS attached

DT

Yeah latest firmware installed......I have a call logged on it anyway. Lots of stuff related to the blue/green issue on the web. Mostly in dutch though :-(

I was the same, but I had two of the TP Link PowerLine things,

One plugged into the Box and the other plugged into NAS in other room, under my devices on the box, it finds the NAS attached

DT

You can see it. But can you stream from it ?

Remember that old box, you could move programme listing to any day of the week and future record something

How do we do that on the Horizon Box

Found it....

Into Menu=>My Library=> My Horizon Planner=> new Recording, then by Date

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

I've had no issues with the Horizon box (apart from not being used to it yet), but my multiroom box now only displays "The set-up is now being finalised, this can take a few minutes".

Logged a call and they're coming out again on Monday. I'm wondering did they deactivate the wrong box (I kept the DVR and returned the non recording multiroom box, with their OK).

Mr.S wrote: »
    i'd like to know this too!

See above...found the solution

You can see it. But can you stream from it ?

It only seem to allow me stream MP4....

But then I usually use my TV to stream the movies via Samsung AllSharePlay app, but the TV is ethernet into the box

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DutchDude

First question I would have is: have you set your HDMI output on the box to RGB? This was a solution which was put in place in a previous version of the Horizon software that resolved a large part of all the problems seen in NL. You can do this is the settings menu of the box(default is 'auto', change it to one of the two RGB settings.)

What king of NAS drive do you have? Does it not support DLNA or UPNP like A lot of them? If so you can play (some of) this content on the Horizon box

DutchDude wrote: »

What king of NAS drive do you have? Does it not support DLNA or UPNP like A lot of them? If so you can play (some of) this content on the Horizon box

Agree..mine allows me to play MP4...but not AVI,MKV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

anyone else having vision and sound loss every now and again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Does anyone know any alternative to twonky for iPhone??

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Anyone else not have BBC 1 HD? Had it on my old box

DutchDude wrote: »
    First question I would have is: have you set your HDMI output on the box to RGB? This was a solution which was put in place in a previous version of the Horizon software that resolved a large part of all the problems seen in NL. You can do this is the settings menu of the box(default is 'auto', change it to one of the two RGB settings.)

Yeah changed this earlier this evening. Seems to have somewhat stabilised...:)

Western digital. Yeah it supports DLNA. But I'm not a fan. I have alot of MKV files. And its slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

From what I read of DLNA & MKVs there are some problems. It's a shame the box just doesnt have support samba or nfs, I have a nice samba server setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

In fact I get "unsubscribed" on all HD channels but RTE2 HD.
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

garlad wrote: »
    In fact I get "unsubscribed" on all HD channels but RTE2 HD.
    Anyone else?

It happened to me yesterday, took 2 calls to UPC to get someone to send a "signal" to my box and the channels came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Hi all,

Other than that,
    its fast,

Cheers
    D

I was getting the blue / green thing. I changed the output from auto to RGB and to 1080i instead of 1080p and have not got the problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DutchDude

lar77 wrote: »
    I was getting the blue / green thing. I changed the output from auto to RGB and to 1080i instead of 1080p and have not got the problem since.

Resolution change is typically not required. First just try the RGB setting before reducing our image quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Anyone else like me feeling frustrated with the user interface or lack of one. Hitting pause and that black bar takes up 40% of the screen. Why pause/rewind couldn't just a subtle overlay without taking away from the picture is so odd.

For more things you've to click twice or use a different key to back out.
    You can't skip forward or back in recordings, you've to fast forward etc.
    You can't change days in the guide.
    The Planner is a joke, it doesn't show complete series linked shows until the next ep has been recorded.
    There is no way to know what is currently recording.
    Current recordings disappear from the Planner.
    The remote having no coloured buttons on the front so using teletext is an interesting experience of having to keep rotating the remote around.

I'm building up a mega list of bugs here. It's not an easy interface. It's full of gaps and spaces where information could be put to make it easier to navigate.

Personally this is beta and no where near a released product. It's an interesting trial, but I'm faster and feel more in control on the mediabox then horizon.

I hope UPC open up a feedback loop ASAP before we start forgetting the mistakes they've made with their user experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement