Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Pretty sure Jester's just an interested student.

who happens to hate paddy rockett?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Pretty sure Jester's just an interested student.

well he obviously has a problem with rockett i'd be curious as to hear why

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Hi Jester

Thank you for throwing up your comment here.

To clarify I am proposing 'Union forums' in terms of Issues that have been of primary concern to students in their broadest scale. They are essentially there for students to actively be involved in their progression and promotion.

These three are the most engaging elements of the union as a whole.

I would envisage that Keith (Ents Promotion manager) And Reiss Barren (Ents Councillor) spearhead this forum. I want nothing to do with ents only to know that its for students by students (and people are enjoying themselves!). I am more interested in the value of Union and University Forums as we can critically engage on issues that are clearly not making their way to us from Class Reps.

I actually added that forum after researching the Leeds Union Forums and they have one where they actively work with Leeds Borough council in development of Leeds City - from what I have researched, there are poor attendance at these forums. And I looked at what students do engage with from my experience and thought its a very worthwhile project for the Union as a Team to take on to open up the place

Myself as VP Academic - My interests are purely educational and related to the positive safe passage of my students through college.

Thanks for the comment - glad you read the manifesto - Take a look at the Leeds Better Union Forums vid here and let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtMMF5fkg_U

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmxZfh_9iyc

Regards

Paddy Rockett

@Roro

Hi man thanks for quizzing above but Jester has the right to ask questions just like you. I Thank you for your defense though. I was interested to read your earlier posts and am glad that a student will take every effort to find out about the candidates that run.

Any questions or comments that all you guys have I'll gladly answer

I am posting my full manifesto here in the morning as i am adding the final four points to the facebook page.

Reason for this is I want the points released staggered so that (A) people read them and add to any point they wish (b)Dont want to piss off people who like the page with long laborious Notes.

Please have a look and don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Paddy Rockett

@Roro

Hi man thanks for quizzing above but Jester has the right to ask questions just like you.

wasn't defending you. i am aware he's entitled to ask away, but i think it's important for this forum there is a bit of transparency on the questioners part too. i am still curious where, if any, jester's allegiances or loyalties lie.

sceptre and petee are the only mods here i'm just wondering what his motives are. he's said the same thing 3 times about rockett and desks, it begs the question, does rockett have a problem with desks or is this someone continuously taking a swipe.

if i was continuously going on about kob and her campus media machinas i'd expect ppl to question my motives too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

leaoj wrote: »
    who happens to hate paddy rockett?
    roro1neil0 wrote: »
    well he obviously has a problem with rockett i'd be curious as to hear why

Up to Jester to come back on that!

@Paddy, watched the video there, very good idea. Now whether it works in practice or not is another thing, but well worth giving it a try.

well luckily daly won't be involved this time telling residents to go **** themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Saying that I hate Rockett is a one hell of an overstatement. IMO and from dealing I had with Rockett he is very outgoing, which I am not saying is a bad thing, but in an office that is dealing more internal it might not suit someone who said that he doesn't like sitting at a desk. One interaction I had with him he told a group of 1st years that you can fail as many times that they what it doesn't matter you can always repeat. My first impression Jackie Wood is all so off. I don't know as much about her as I do Rockett and on this vote I am leaning towards Rockett but I have more of a second voice then the other officers. I also find it odd that the person calling me out has posted a lot of comments about KOB and said that he is running an anit-campaign

i've been up front about my motives. everyone knows where i am coming from and what my intentions are.

i was just curious to how you came to getting such strong opinions about rockett, perhaps i was in need of some investigation myself.

perhaps we could perform an experiment and put him in his office behind a desk and time him to see how long it takes for him to get up and walk around and go talk to some people in person???

sceptre and petee are the only mods here i'm just wondering what his motives are. he's said the same thing 3 times about rockett and desks, it begs the question, does rockett have a problem with desks or is this someone continuously taking a swipe..

Ah this is a link to what I said in the EGM about not enjoying a desk job. In response to that I would say that the Job does not have to be 100% emails and meetings especially in terms of engagement with students and recruitment of reps. I am quoted as being someone who can rally people. I will use this talent to get our faculty reps positions filled (by the end of this term) so we have a working group to crack on into the new term.

What do you think?

@Paddy, watched the video there, very good idea. Now whether it works in practice or not is another thing, but well worth giving it a try.

It was requested at EGM and i researched how we could use it to our benefit and it is one that I will highly promote as we draw an end of this term and established at the start of the new one.

Can you think of anything that may be amiss? I think its very open and more of a "Think Tank" idea than anything else.

• Advertisement

The fourm is a really good idea. It will enable students to get more involved in the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Can you think of anything that may be amiss? I think its very open and more of a "Think Tank" idea than anything else.

With the idea? The only thing I would be pointing to would be over-saturation with referenda. They'd be easy enough to set up with the online voting system, but too much and people may become apathetic.

In saying that, it might go in the complete opposite direction, with a lot more student engagement. All about finding the right balance!

In terms of governance and power it would have zero but the Referenda element could be brought to forum for debate (In the Union Forum)

Online referenda can be rolled out but a Professional unbiased approach has to be taken. did you see how they visited students and they said yes or no?

I really liked it as it showed active engagement on an issue but any material that was a=part of an online vote would have to be presented very well indeed!

@Jester -It does does'nt it? Only worry I have is the apathy element of students in terms of the Union/university forums. Its of great importance to push these in an approachable fashion.

Cheers guys!

Another thing with the fourm are you going to have some students as part of a group who will attend most of the fourms meeting to keep some blance to the meeting.

can you attend the forum in different disguises and troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Jester252 wrote: »
    One interaction I had with him he told a group of 1st years that you can fail as many times that they what it doesn't matter you can always repeat.n

Is that a bad thing?
    What happens when you fall? You learn to pick yourself up. Is it better to give a degree a try and if you find it tough just call it a day or should students push themselves to be their personal best? If it takes five or six years to get your degree nstead of 4 then I do have admiration for you as a student. Its a lot harder to hang in there that to just walk away.

Now there's many who'd disagree, but thats just my two cents.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Another thing with the fourm are you going to have some students as part of a group who will attend most of the fourms meeting to keep some blance to the meeting.

I Will push Class reps to attend. The interest groups such as activities officer, equal ops etc, I would suggest that it is compulsory for them to attend as some issues will directly deal with them for example:

"When is an equality week being run and what type of campaign is being run to raise awareness of the need for more students to help with the disabilities service i.e note taking"

Equal opportunity rep would hopefully respond with dates of a campaign, how they have actively engaged with the disabilities office and what they plan to do and how they plan to recruit people to raise awareness.

I think Sabbats should attend all forums as accountability and transparency are fundamental in a working Union.

At Union Form -Members of staff, Manager & Accountant attend

At University Forum - I would hope that once a submission of a forum topic has been received we can organize a representative related to the query to be there on the night or at very least issue a statement.

At Entertainment forum : Keith Quinlan(ents and promotions) Reiss Barron (Ents councilperson) and The Community Rep (As i think its essential given the link between complains and entertainments to have this rep present)

What do you think? Any suggestions you think are necessary?

Wow you put a lot of thought into this which is nice to see or I am never going to play you in poker. How often will these be held.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

I Will push Class reps to attend. The interest groups such as activities officer, equal ops etc, I would suggest that it is compulsory for them to attend as some issues will directly deal with them for example:

"When is an equality week being run and what type of campaign is being run to raise awareness of the need for more students to help with the disabilities service i.e note taking"

Equal opportunity rep would hopefully respond with dates of a campaign, how they have actively engaged with the disabilities office and what they plan to do and how they plan to recruit people to raise awareness.

I think Sabbats should attend all forums as accountability and transparency are fundamental in a working Union.

At Union Form -Members of staff, Manager & Accountant attend

At University Forum - I would hope that once a submission of a forum topic has been received we can organize a representative related to the query to be there on the night or at very least issue a statement.

At Entertainment forum : Keith Quinlan(ents and promotions) Reiss Barron (Ents councilperson) and The Community Rep (As i think its essential given the link between complains and entertainments to have this rep present)

What do you think? Any suggestions you think are necessary?

Do you not think that the Compulsory attendance will backfire? I understand and agree with your poor attendance for Class reps but this will be another barrier as they will feel that they will forced into thing. Causing a domineering appearance, when I assume it would be the opposite?

My abysmal poker skills to the side would plan it as such:

Semester 1

General forum meeting laying out what forums are and an address from the sabbatical team on what they want to achieve this year.

Reps may also add to this (Interest Groups) i.e to hear that recreations rep want to hold some non alcohol events in Scholars/Stables on a night and what people think for it to be year round. (Example)

From here we promote students to propose ideas for the forum via internet and in the union. We do this by class addresses, facebook and an all student email and by actively getting out and talking to students and asking them to submit something through you (Sabbat or Rep)

2 Weeks later week 3 Academic Calender
    Class Reps council (Tuesday)
    Union Forum (Thursday) - Nb REGISTERING MODULES KEY ISSUE

Week Four (University Forum) - Lab and tutorial issues from week 3 (for example) will be an issue

Week Five (Entertainment Forum) Freshers review- PROPOSED ACTS FORUM
    (I imagine)

Week 6
    Class Reps council (Tuesday)
    Union Forum (Thursday) -

Week 7(University Forum)

Week 8 (Entertainment Forum)

And so on and so forth - I am trying to develop it in terms of key times and key issues during the academic calender so that the information is not lost in translation on facebook but we tackle them with a group dynamic.

What do you think/

• Advertisement

Merger wrote: »
    Do you not think that the Compulsory attendance will backfire? I understand and agree with your poor attendance for Class reps but this will be another barrier as they will feel that they will forced into thing. Causing a domineering appearance, when I assume it would be the opposite?

This is strictly for interest groups such as the entertainments officer that receive this in their job description as many of the forum ideas will be based around what they are doing as well as the sabbatical officer.

For class reps, I would ask that they do attend but it wont be compulsory as the issues from Forum are (hopefully something that are brought as issues to Reps council.

Apologies if that was not clear.

To summarize
    Class Reps - Not compulsory
    Interest groups (eg Community Rep, activities rep, sports rep etc.) -Compulsory as they will have elements of some forums that they will have to answer to and actively engage with.

Any other elements you are concerned about?

Keep the comments coming guys its good to chat this out with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

can you attend the forum in different disguises and troll?

I think seen as it is a student forum, everybody could be set up with an account through their student mail. Only students and alumni should be allowed on a union forum imo. I think that would prevent any trolling.
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Is that a bad thing? If it takes five or six years to get your degree nstead of 4 then I do have admiration for you as a student. Its a lot harder to hang in there that to just walk away.

I failed an exam before and it was ridiculously stressful. I had flown out on Erasmus before I found out if I could stay or not. Without the repeat I would have been f*cked! I knew I had the exam failed before I sat it, but everybody said don't worry you can repeat. It's somewhat comforting (if not expensive).

You can repeat the exams but you can't repeat the craic

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Personally I think the Trainspotting idea was very clever. It'll be easily recognisable to those who know the film (plenty of those about) with 'Choose' throughout. It's something different from the normal run-of-the-mill posters you see around, something interesting. It will grab people's attention.

I have my doubts, but have at it. :)
    For example, Kelly O'Brien has a track record of delivering on one of her promises - a radio station. She organized the funding, got the resources, managed the volunteers, got some advertising, got the thing working. But what exactly was the end product? A radio station where people doing the music course get practice being presenters with a listener-ship of about 10 people per hour. So Kelly says she works 70 hours per week, how much of this time was spent messing around with the radio? What about the rest of the job - the important aspects.

Let's just say KOB is elected and she does actually bring in the niteline confidential help line for students. How much of her time and energy will be put into it? What will it achieve? How many people will use it? how will she able to do the more important aspects of her job -
    • liaise with the college over the criteria and distribution of the access and hardship funds
    • deal with, but not counsel, students who have welfare problems, respecting confidentiality at all times
    • campaign on, and raise awareness of, issues relating to welfare as agreed by the executive committee e.g. debt, safe sex, drug/alcohol abuse, etc; distribute general welfare information
    • have responsibility for representing students in disciplinary or academic appeals cases

Like, who cares if she gets cheap condoms or not as long as she does the above adequately and professionally? There are about 14 other things explicitly stated in the job spec too.

I'm not singling Kelly out here just using her case as an example as I have her manifesto in front of me. i think it's important for students to realise these fluffy promises that people put on their manifesto matter for nothing, the real important aspects of the officer is how they adhere to their job spec.

Just on this, Kelly also set up Cellar Door, which IIRC was part of her manifesto last year, published in Semester 1, had to be cut then due to the financial situation. She also set up www.anfocal.ie, another part of the manifesto, as well as being editor of An Focal.
    As for the proportion of her time spent on ULFM, I simply don't know, and the merits of the station, I'm biased, so won't comment.

EDIT: BTW I do realise that Comms. and Welfare are very different positions, I use the examples above simply as a reply to roro's post about fulfilling manifesto promises.

I'm liking Paddy's forum idea at first read. But could I ask Paddy, if both you and KOB were elected to your respective roles, will the tension that is clearly evident in the SU this year inevitably roll over? Will ye be able to work together in a professional manner and put all this childish shíte behind ye?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm liking Paddy's forum idea at first read. But could I ask Paddy, if both you and KOB were elected to your respective roles, will the tension that is clearly evident in the SU this year inevitably roll over? Will ye be able to work together in a professional manner and put all this childish shíte behind ye?

Good Question I can only answer for my self but I will throw in a bit on Kell. Simple answer: Of course we can, and we are currently on good terms.

The problem with me and I believe Kelly is that we are both very passionate and vocal and often in conflicting ideas on a professional level it can be difficult to not take things personally.

Without a shadow of a doubt. But i also think that a lot of negative elements of our relationship was over exaggerated and taken up in a media storm. We both made mistakes yes but I am still very proud to work beside this years team and hopefully the next whomever they may be.

As an added point to this there is a story going that Friday night in the stables we were arguing...this could be no further from the truth! we we're having a chat as we have'nt seen each other for most of the week and i was asking her about her manifesto (As I will be with all the candidates) Actually it was nice to just sit down and have a chat as well. But from our chat people immediately jumped to the conclusion...which is silly and un-founded.

To sum up - I am certain as this year was a massive learning curb for both of us. I did sit down and look at all candidates I could possibly work with but I have'nt had a chance to talk to them all so I cant say I have weighed them all up. Some have some excellent ideas relating to the Union but I am worried that some manifesto's are stating the problems and not the solutions, something I thought was a key issue after this year.

Thanks for the question William

Regards
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

But could I ask Paddy, if both you and KOB were elected to your respective roles, will the tension that is clearly evident in the SU this year inevitably roll over?

Damnit, I was going to ask that at hustings. But still, it's good to see that they're willing to put all that behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Linken

Hi everyone. Jackie Woods here. I Know I am completely new to most of you so I hope you will listen to what I have to say before making a decision. My manifesto includes,

My name is Jackie Woods. I am a fourth year Business Studies student. I am running for the position of Vice-President Academic in this year’s University of Limerick Student Union Elections (ULSU).

We all know how important our education is. It can open many doors and create many options for us. For this reason, I feel we should not settle for anything less than perfection when it comes to our education! YOUR voice should be heard, YOUR concerns about YOUR education should be listened to.
    I believe the role of the voice president academic should be to support YOU, to act as a link between YOU and the university.
    I would be there to listen to YOU and YOUR concerns, provide support and fight for YOUR needs.

If I am elected as Vice-President Academic, I would address the following issues:

1. Providing Academic Stress Support System

Everyone knows how stressful exam time can be. I propose providing support for students during exam time which would consist of tea or coffee mornings during study week and exam weeks, where students can take a break from their study or ask any questions they have in relation to their upcoming exams. Support will also be provided to first year students where they can receive information on the QCA system (as it is never fully explained to students), exams appeals and maps to the exam centres.
    If a student is feeling stressed about exams or their modules throughout the academic year, there will always be someone to talk to.

2. Continued Lobbying For Nurses

Student nurses go on placement for 36 weeks during their final year. They work the same hours and do the same work as a qualified nurse. Currently, final year student nurses get 60% of a qualified nurse’s wage. This will drop to 50% next year. I believe continued lobbying for nurses is needed.

3. Develop A Co-Op Hotline

This hotline will be set up to help students who have any queries, problems or questions in relation to their co-op. Someone will be at the other side to answer their questions.

4. Create more links with International Universities

From my understanding, a student who chooses to go on Erasmus may end up in a university which is below their expectations. I would work with the Erasmus office to create further links with universities around the globe. I would also ensure that the student has an in-depth understanding of the modules and university, in which they intend to study.

5. Undergraduate Study Room

Sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in the day! With deadlines of electives overlapping, occasionally students may need some extra time in the evening to complete their workload. Just like there is a 24-hour postgraduate room available, I believe there should also be an undergraduate room available to students. In conjunction with this, I would promote better communication with lecturers of electives to limit overlapping deadlines of assignments.

6. Introduce More Security In Relation to Exam Results

The university system crashing during exam results is an outrage. I would ensure that this WILL NOT happen again by communicating with the UL administration and finding a way that different year groups can receive their results at different times. This way, all students won’t be logging on to receive their results at the same time.

I will bring a fresh face to the student union with fresh perspectives and ideas. From my personal experience, I know what needs to be changed in the union and if given the chance I feel I can achieve this. I would be accessible to students through both Facebook and Twitter - connecting with students in a simple way would be one of my key aims. I also understand the financial constraints on the union today and will work in a cost effective way to achieve my goals.

This page is issued by Martin Sheehan, Campaign Manager for Jackie Woods.

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Damnit, I was going to ask that at hustings. But still, it's good to see that they're willing to put all that behind them.

Ask because its something that people will want to know. Hustings needs more interaction from people! (Not just planted questions from opposing teams)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just on this, Kelly also set up Cellar Door, which IIRC was part of her manifesto last year, published in Semester 1, had to be cut then due to the financial situation. She also set up www.anfocal.ie, another part of the manifesto, as well as being editor of An Focal.
    As for the proportion of her time spent on ULFM, I simply don't know, and the merits of the station, I'm biased, so won't comment.

Cellar Door was a joke. What a waste of money! Make it a pull out in an focal to see if people like it first like :rolleyes:

AnFocal.ie is well done but I have the feeling it would have been shelved if TST wasn't around. IT took ages to get off the ground while TST is a student group and had things up, running and ready to go.

And as for the radio? The majority of it is horrendous. I had it on the other day while studying and after the first hour it started to go through me, When did diction, pronouncing your words properly and not mumbling go out of style???

Hi guys -Here is my full manifesto in word. I wish for you to question me on the Academic issues and problems I wish to tackle as VP/Academic.

Paddy is currently your Campaigns & Services Officer. He previously studied Science Education and has been involved in the Union for the past 5 years. Paddy’s interests include Music, comedy, representation and as a teacher, education.

Paddy Is running for the VP/Academic role because of he brings more than any other candidate in terms of experience; a Class Rep for three years, ULSU Community and Fundraising Officers, Representative on Staff-Student Committees, Anti Fees Protester, a Vice-President of the Students' Union, a year as Campaigns and services Officer, There is NO ONE in any election better placed or more experienced to represent you.

Paddy has particular skill in rallying students (Highly important for departmental and class reps) and he is known for his ability to always look on the positive side of life. Paddy has developed strong relationships with members of the University community and is prepared for a role that needs a new dynamic in order to reinvigorate both the students and the ability of the union.

Come have a chat with Paddy over the week a single page cannot contain the ideas he has for his role as Academic Officer. ‘Your Union –Your voice’ has always been the motto. Come and have your say!

Academic issues

1.Active Class & Faculty Representative Recruitment
    In a world where jobs are difficult to come by, a recent study has shown that employers are looking at candidates volunteering and and theirrepresentative status on their C.V as well as their degree. Class Representative and Faculty Representative roles offer a fantastic opportunity to work with a diverse spectrum of people and a chance to represent students on issues of high importance to students.

With this in mind I will actively push to secure the remaining Faculty Reps before the start of the new term. This Includes all interest groups so that we have a legitimate council to make decisions on. I will carry out class addresses before the end of the new term to get students to sign up for rep for the following semester to have a head start in terms of developing their training and readiness for their new year.

Reps are currently not working, this is a fact. We have not had a quotate meeting (One that has the minimum amount of Reps to vote) since November. Thus the mandate for the SU, its accountability, its transparency is greatly diminished.

Class Reps Restructure was a brilliant concept and I assured Aoife, our current education officer that the Faculty Reps and Class reps recruitment will be a focus of mine. Being honest Class Reps Council is dull, tedious and involves little if no interaction. This will need to be rectified. We currently have 2 types of reps -Your parties, hoodies and ents Rep and your Academic rep, let’s cater to that dynamic. I will re-develop training, council and the marketing of class representative for the new academic year.

2. Adapting ULSU Facebook and Website
    To benefit Educational questions and queries using videos mentioned in point 3.
    At the moment the current Education officer and other officers have a link to their manifesto or their blog and in particular frequently asked questions but these are dated and I am hoping for easy access buttons linking to videos answering questions to the everyday topics that dominate a Vp/ Academics time. If the issue is serious enough it will require a one to one meeting in order to assess and sort the situation.

The student may also need advice in terms of what path to take next and that is something I regard as one of the most important functions. I feel I genuinely care how students are coping and managing their academic life. Hopefully these Interactive Academic video's will aid in the academic distress that comes with finding out something like failing an exam, losing a project before submission or being too sick to take and exam.

If you get a chance to see the mental health video we produced for week ten then please do! that is the quality of what I want to produce and similar to the Leeds Student Union Video - Take a look on my page - Becoming a rep:
    Have a look and tell me what you think.

These will issued on facebook, ulsu.ie and circulated via all student email also, In particular at times where the need is high, for example: pre-registering for modules and Release of Exam results.

3.Commissioning Union informational videos on the following Academic issues.

Lecture problems
    Course change
    QCA Break down
    I –Grades
    Exam Issues
    Being a rep (Faculty & Class)
    Academic Advice throughout the year
    A guide to Academic Supports
    A guide to your Advisor
    Accessing your student records
    ‘I’ve failed an exam…What happens next?”
    Registering For your modules
    Internal/external transfer
    Module outline
    Study Skills
    Orientation
    What your VP/Academic does for you.
    Co-op and TP – Issues
    Better Union Forum
    Erasmus in focus
    Union and Union governance

Many of the issues that arise under these headings can be dealt with in a short video. I am not saying that the problem is solved right there on the spot, but the knowledge base of the students will expand in terms of their academic lives here. This Type of media again, is indicative of gold standard Unions and I believe it will really aid our students in the year ahead!

If there are any other elements of your academic life that should be added be sure to throw it into the Suggestion box all week!

4.Union Accountability &transparency via:
    UNION FORUMS
    Similar to Leeds University (Gold Standard) They adopt a forum that uses Student Ideas to develop their Union, their University and their City

I am suggesting these Union Forums, that anyone can attend, are developed under the following headings.

Union: Which deals with all aspects of the union, policies, actions and activities including accounts.

University: Which deals with tackling University issues such as proposed charges for using the medical centre for example.

Entertainment: Where you the students formulate what you want for your entertainment for the year – Your Charity Week - You decide.

These forums are not a governmental structure; they are an open “think tanks” to ensure we as officers are engaging with you and you are ensuring we are operating to the best of our ability for you.

Anyone can submit an idea to these forums and they are discussed week by week at the end of those three forums the ideas are brought to Class Reps. Here we develop the ideas as action items or possible projects for the Union to take on.

Have a look at the video’s on the facebook Campaign Page for more info.

The Leed's 'Better Union' Forums are a very good example of the type of transparency that is needed in the Students Union at the moment. Have a look at the link of the video on the page.

Remember its not a carbon copy - it will be adapted to suit you the student.

And as always let me know what you think!

5. Beneficial Class rep training.
    Recognition for active class reps and an option for you to ‘Rate your rep’ Accountability for those that represent you.
    Reps training will be sponsored and we can engage in a venue swap of we co-ordinate our Reps training with other colleges or collaborate with other colleges. A structured module on reps training with a focus on activity rather than dictation of 'What’s going on in the Union'.
    Recognition. I will introduce a clubs and societies-type awards system pertaining to the best reps best events best academic rep, best representative rep that is open to submission from all students. the Reps will receive Awards and Gift vouchers - I will write a preliminary awards list and ask you the students, if you think more should be added. These awards will be the main focus of A ball (Hopefully a Summer ball -End of term) This is pending the events and promotions officer facilitating such and Event.
    Recognition for Faculty Reps and Interest Groups - The Presidents Volunteer award is in full swing and it needs more promotion with these groups. It’s a fantastic thing to have and I hope to push for it with these reps for the great work they do. I might link in some faculty/interest group rep awards with the previous point.
    Rate your Rep. at the end of each term your rep will ask you to rate their progress and acquire anonymous feedback of what you think they should be doing. It all aids their development and providing what you need.

6. I Will actively engage the University on the disgraceful issue of Exam Results release and suggest a staggered release of results based on year or faculty. Again I will actively work with students and will work with what they think is best.
    Every year an Academic/Education Officer promises that they will deal with the poor distribution of results and the disgrace that was this year’s results were the icing on the cake. we have the following facts:
    The system gets overwhelmed by too many people trying to get their results.
    They pre-release 2000 results after midnight before the full results are released
    Letters regarding failing are sent the week before online results (received usually the friday)
    Solution: stagger the results. Either by faculty/year/or timeframe. The problem with this is that students are going to check on the off-chance that they are there - I know, I've done it (A LOT) I would hope to educate students on the process of exam results and their release so that people know that they are causing more harm than good checking early. Other than this I would engage with the relevant bodies -SAA and ITD to investigate new means of exam dispersion or operating under a system that can handle fluctuating usage.

7. Each week I will publish case studies on facebook/blog for accountability and to highlight the issues of the week (each week) so that dealing with issues can be rectified quickly and not based on waiting for meetings.
    This would include:
    What is coming up next week (such as registering for modules)
    Case studies of meetings with students (anonymous) so that if students find themselves in a similar situation they can see it and adapt it to theirs.
    A breakdown of meetings I attended that week and the Issues that arose
    An opportunity for students to weigh up the full situation before scheduling a meeting.

8. Feedback and quality review on both ends (Student and Lecturer respectively) Lecture evaluations will be at the core of academic quality review and I will push academic council for an agreement on Feedback from lecturers regarding project work exams and student performance within a specified timeframe.

This would involve
    Continuing the Lecturer Evaluations as great strides in the quality of education are being made with regard to this.
    Lecturer feedback on student’s progress is needed. I will push for project work to be graded with feedback and returned to you no later than 2 weeks. This time is vital for your exams and new project work. I would hope that midterm student Appraisals will be carried out with feedback on how you are doing and that lecturers look at a more constructivist form of teaching and learning rather than the bare transmission of information. This will be carried out via my interaction with Academic Council.

9. 24 Hour computer Labs for Undergraduates -With Printing facility.
    Students Have been screaming for this -every weekend you stay on to get into your project work, essays or fyp and you get on a role and cannot find anywhere after 5 on a Sunday or after 11 on a weekday.
    There is an Undergraduate lab by the Fish tank near the 24 hour post graduate room that can be used for this very purpose. The reason for this is being closed is that students treated it with disrespect and the security cameras don’t work.
    I will actively work with the university and security to get this back in operation as it is one of the main things students have asked me to do. It would also have color and black and white printing facilities linked to your print account.
    On any of these issues be sure to give me a shout and ask me any questions.

Issued by Tomas Feehan & Adam Leahy Campaign Managers for Paddy Rockett

I understand there is a lot there and thank you for taking the time to read through them all. I take this job with great seriousness and pride and i wanted that to show in my manifesto

Regards

Paddy Rockett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 selfishfish

I just want to clarify on the comments made about the "trio" being total strangers and that they grouped together out of desperation. Completely untrue!

Jackie and William are in the same class and have known each other for well over two years. Both candidates entered the election individually, and after finding out that they were both running, discussed the idea of going forward as running mates as they both strongly supported each others ideas for office, if elected. Also the idea of unity in the SU and being able to support one another in their respective roles was another main reason for going forward as running mates. I believe Eamon doesn't know the other two as well as they know each other, however himself and Jackie have a lot of mutual friends in UL. I would guess that's how Eamon came to run with Jackie and Will.

Besides, isn't Kelly running with David? Does that mean they too are desperate and don't believe their campaigns arent strong enough to win by themselves? Doubtful. It's more to do with having the same goals in office and putting together the strongest team of 3 that will work well together over the next year.

Advertisement