Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I can't fit the essays into the time limit. Its absolutly ridiculous asking us to. 2-3 page essay in 11 minutes? I don't think so Bobo
    11 minutes for the 80 markers? :O
    I give myself 35!?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Im sorry but people who say they are writing 4 pages for the option and 2-3 pages for the 30 mark quetion is just ridiculous. Your all waffling. If you ever got your teacher to corrrect you work they will actually mark in where the SRPs are for you. Instead of learning off a whole load of crap just learn theses points. If you write over 2 lines without getting an SRP there is something seriously wrong. You dont get marks for that and examiners just detest it. For a 30 mark it should be 1 page or just over to get full marks. And the option should be done in about 2-2.5 pages

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

biohaiid wrote: »
    I'd say it'd be okay for the 30 markers, but Im just worried I'll lose coherence marks in the 80 markers? :/
    You wont lose coherence if you answer the question concisely, use headings and do it essay style I'm pretty sure :)
    biohaiid wrote: »
    11 minutes for the 80 markers? :O
    I give myself 35!?
    11 minutes for a B/C essay, so altogether thatssss 25 minutes for each section I think? The option gets way more than everything else coz it isnt split up!
    bobjimmy wrote: »
    Im sorry but people who say they are writing 4 pages for the option and 2-3 pages for the 30 mark quetion is just ridiculous. Your all waffling. If you ever got your teacher to corrrect you work they will actually mark in where the SRPs are for you. Instead of learning off a whole load of crap just learn theses points. If you write over 2 lines without getting an SRP there is something seriously wrong. You dont get marks for that and examiners just detest it. For a 30 mark it should be 1 page or just over to get full marks. And the option should be done in about 2-2.5 pages
    Agreed, quality over quantity. 4 pages for the option seems crazy, a diagram can take up a bit in mine but honestly, 6 srp's under 4 headings does not take up 4 pages :L

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Well for the option the conclusion and intro must be included so that takes space and Overall Coherence marks are going for it so shorting your answer too much is a bad idea.
    SRPs must be full developed points and how concisely a point can be developed depends on the persons capability at English.
    As every geography student knows different examiners can count different SRPs so the answer should contain 16/17 SRPs taking up space.

Though if a person can write 2 pages on a question in 12 mins then thats fine BUT do not spend over that length of time.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 temujin

hi, i'm just wondering whether or not the 30 mark essays should be done in bullet point form or in essay format.i know that for the option you have to do it in essay form, but i thought it would be better for the 30m because your srps would be clearly laid out.
    thanks

• Advertisement

Up to you! :) If you wanna do it in bullets go ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Those 4 paged essays WERE the ones my teacher gave. Its only now that Im finding out how much I need to write, which is pretty crap really ..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Could anyone anyone at all write me out an Human elective essay list to learn off for geography im lost i have the sue honan book btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

Is anyone doing the Ocean-Enviroment for the options????

If so, what essays do you think will come up?!! :)

Mid-latitude depressions and maybe anti-cyclones with that is basically guaranteed. :D

Other ones that might come up are climate and economic development (eeeeeeek need to learn that >_<), uneven distribution of solar energy and a pattern of global winds maybe? Its such an unpredictable section :L

My teacher said the pattern of global winds is just the circulation cells again but I have notes he gave us on mistral/fohn winds and stuff. Any ideas there? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Mid-latitude depressions and maybe anti-cyclones with that is basically guaranteed. :D

Other ones that might come up are climate and economic development (eeeeeeek need to learn that >_<), uneven distribution of solar energy and a pattern of global winds maybe? Its such an unpredictable section :L

My teacher said the pattern of global winds is just the circulation cells again but I have notes he gave us on mistral/fohn winds and stuff. Any ideas there? :o
    ^ Looks so difficult. Give me Composition/Characteristics of a Soil, Plant/Animal adaptations to a biome, Human Activites on Soil, and Factors influencing soil characteristics anyday! :P

Does anyone think Isostacy will come up this year? I dunno whether to learn it or not tbh, it's really difficult to learn an essay about it

Ugh, it is so difficult, you actually have to understand it. :( Like I sat there for 10 minutes trying to actually understand how a depression forms, it makes sense kind of but I'd take soils anyday :rolleyes:

I find isostasy really annoying, I know all about it but I dont get the marking scheme...do we have to get 15 SRPs out of just two landforms? I mean theres so many to talk about, hardly fair to limit it so much. :/

Yess i love that Q lets hope its that one!! Haha

Oh for circulations i just have polar,hadley and ferrel cell :)
    I know there's so much to learn in it.. its so hard :(

Oh I have the Coriolis Effect as a fourth heading with the polar, hadley and ferrel cells, might be an idea :) I knowwwwwww, and the worst part is we probably wont need anything but depressions and anticyclones but you cant take the chance haha :(

Oh I have the Coriolis Effect as a fourth heading with the polar, hadley and ferrel cells, might be an idea :) I knowwwwwww, and the worst part is we probably wont need anything but depressions and anticyclones but you cant take the chance haha :(

Do you really think that depressions and anticyclones will come up?? I loveeee that one :D haha I'm just so afraid that none of the questions il have done will come up:eek: Have you done anything on climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

If anyone uses the Exam Skills by Sue Honan.

Does the sample answers include just 14 SRPs or a lot more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Fergus_ wrote: »
    If anyone uses the Exam Skills by Sue Honan.

Does the sample answers include just 14 SRPs or a lot more?

I know I learnt off an answer for a test from Sue Honan's book and I got 30/30 with like 3 extra SRPS. Not sure if this is a general trend for the asnwers..

siobhan93 wrote: »
    Do you really think that depressions and anticyclones will come up?? I loveeee that one :D haha I'm just so afraid that none of the questions il have done will come up:eek: Have you done anything on climate?
    Yesssss it so has to! Depressions came up in 06,08,10 and deserts in 07,09,11, it HAS to :) I'll actually be devastated if it doesnt...and anticyclones came up in 08 and not 06 or 10 so it'd make sense this year but I prepared an answer without them just in case :P

Eeeeeeemmmmmm I did ages ago, I started one like, but never finished it so I cant learn it haha. Its just regional though, literally the headings are agriculture, tourism andddd I think desertification comes in somewhere :L

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

We did Culture & Identity for our 80 mark question and I have about 7 full essays learned off really well for it. It's an easy section to write about and I got full marks in my mock.

However the other Georgraphy class told us today that we should have done Geoecology because it's hard to get full marks in Culture & Identity. Now I've learned that lots of people in our class have also done Geoecology by themselves. I don't want to start learning new essays at this late stage but I'm kind of worried. :o

^A class in my year do Culture & Identity. The teacher doesnt have a degree in geography and his grade averages are higher than the rest of the classes because they always score extremely high in it. I'd kill to have done it, but all it takes is one picky marker or a tight marking scheme to mess it up...you should be grand though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Hey lads. :)

I was wondering is someone could give me a list of the bare minimum to learn for regional geography based in what is most likely to come up this year? It's the one section that I just can't get my head around. :o

Also sorry, I know this is probably in this thread somewhere but my phone is a bit slow and I'm actually studying well for the first time in days, don't want to ruin it by staying on boards too long. :pac:

Thanks a bunch!

Considering leaving out Secondary Activities in Paris.. I'm learning these for the Activities:
    • Ireland- Teritary
    • Paris- Primary, Teritary
    • Mezzogiorno- Primary
    • SW USA- Primary, Secondary, Teritary

Apart from that i'm doing:
    • Culture- SW USA
    • Growth of City in SW USA
    • Growth of City in Ireland
    • 2 Implications of EU Expansion
    Do you think that's enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Ok so I'm preparing answers for regional questions and I'm just wondering is there any point in doing, say, Primary activities in Paris and then also Primary activities in the Mezz? Or do I just need the one? Feel like I'm wasting valuable time here :(!

Also, if anybody has any pointers on essays for Regional that would be greatly appreciated as I really don't think I'm gonna be able to do an answer for every single topic :P

Hayezer wrote: »
    Ok so I'm preparing answers for regional questions and I'm just wondering is there any point in doing, say, Primary activities in Paris and then also Primary activities in the Mezz? Or do I just need the one? Feel like I'm wasting valuable time here :(!

Also, if anybody has any pointers on essays for Regional that would be greatly appreciated as I really don't think I'm gonna be able to do an answer for every single topic :P

Deeeeeeeefinitely - its likely they'll ask for a contrast like last year! And because we cant know which sector they'll ask it on we have to learn them all, shneaky :(

Definitely learn an urban area in a c/sc region, tertiary in ireland, primary/sec in paris/mezzogiorno, culture in a c/sc region and maaaaybe EU expansion...everyones suggesting that but it came up last year :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

How would you structure a contrast question. Say like "Contrast development of secondary economic activities in two European regions"
    The marking scheme for last years one said "2 contrasts and 13 SRPs"
    By 2 contrasts could you say, for example,
    1. How transport in both regions affects manufacturing (helps it in Paris and hinders it in Mezzogiorno) and then discuss
    2. How populations of both regions affects manufacturing (helps it in Paris and hinders it in Mezzogiorno) and then discuss

Do you have to constantly contrast or could you use the above headings and then write about Paris in about 4 sentences and then Mezz in about 4 sentences??

OR would it be better not to use any headings and kind of do one answer in which you constantly make diff contrasts e.g " Paris has many fashion industries like Lancome whereas Mezz has mainly heavy industries located in the industrial triangle. Mezz requires huge supports from government such as the Vanoni plan under the Cassa whereas Paris doesn't need much extra funding as it is already well developed..." and just keep making lots of contrasts like that?

Please tell me how ye plan to structure a contrast Q if one comes up?? Does anyone have any ones done out?
    Is there a point in studying 2 Irish regions since the contrast question past year was on Ireland? I might just study the Western Region.

Geo10 wrote: »
    How would you structure a contrast question. Say like "Contrast development of secondary economic activities in two European regions"
    The marking scheme for last years one said "2 contrasts and 13 SRPs"
    By 2 contrasts could you say, for example,
    1. How transport in both regions affects manufacturing (helps it in Paris and hinders it in Mezzogiorno) and then discuss
    2. How populations of both regions affects manufacturing (helps it in Paris and hinders it in Mezzogiorno) and then discuss

Do you have to constantly contrast or could you use the above headings and then write about Paris in about 4 sentences and then Mezz in about 4 sentences??

OR would it be better not to use any headings and kind of do one answer in which you constantly make diff contrasts e.g " Paris has many fashion industries like Lancome whereas Mezz has mainly heavy industries located in the industrial triangle. Mezz requires huge supports from government such as the Vanoni plan under the Cassa whereas Paris doesn't need much extra funding as it is already well developed..." and just keep making lots of contrasts like that?

Please tell me how ye plan to structure a contrast Q if one comes up?? Does anyone have any ones done out?
    Is there a point in studying 2 Irish regions since the contrast question past year was on Ireland? I might just study the Western Region.

This is not going to be helpful but I was about to post the same thing. I don't understand the whole contrast thing. More than likely we'll get Contrast Agriculture in 2 European Regions this year as Primary Activities have never come up for European Regions! I just don't know how to do it though! The factors I talk about for Paris are:
    • Climate
    • Drainage
    And for the Mezzogiorno, I talk about:
    • Relief
    • Land Ownerships systems
    Like how do you contrast things like that?

Deeeeeeeefinitely - its likely they'll ask for a contrast like last year! And because we cant know which sector they'll ask it on we have to learn them all, shneaky :(

Definitely learn an urban area in a c/sc region, tertiary in ireland, primary/sec in paris/mezzogiorno, culture in a c/sc region and maaaaybe EU expansion...everyones suggesting that but it came up last year :L

Urban area in continental/sub-continental....do you mean like the growth of a region? My heads crying from all this geography :( Plan on doing all regional today, might just die

Hayezer wrote: »

I'm doing the following (mighn't be a smart idea, i've no time left though)
    • Ireland- Teritary Activites, Growth of Dublin
    • Paris- Primary, Teritary
    • Mezzogiorno- Primary
    • SW USA- Primary, Secondary, Teritary, Growth of Region
    • Culture- SW USA
    • 2 Implications of EU Expansion

Same here, for European Primary Activites I dunno how youd do it.
    For Paris I have Soil,Climate as Physical factors and a little bit on Pop and Transport for human factors.
    For Mezz I have both Agriculture and Forestry. For Agriculture my factors are Relief and Land Ownership System and for Forestry I have Climate and Soils.

Dunno how I'd contrast them unless I do my little bit on Soil and Climate in Paris and Soil and Climate for Forestry in Mezz :/. Think I might just write about each individually :D

• Advertisement

Woa threads just got moved I'm confused D:

Advertisement