Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Merged a few of the geography essay threads here to keep it all together! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Last years paper was pretty hard, even some of the short questions I think it's worth learning Isostatic incase it shows up again this year.

Most of my answers for the 15rps tend to be about 2 pages or should it be less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MarkTerence

Last years paper was pretty hard, even some of the short questions I think it's worth learning Isostatic incase it shows up again this year.

No thats a perfect amount!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

If you can get it done in 12mins then yes it's ok. Personally mine are a little less but on the day my writing is so messy it usually ends up 2 pages! :)

Wesc. wrote: »
    If you can get it done in 12mins then yes it's ok. Personally mine are a little less but on the day my writing is so messy it usually ends up 2 pages! :)

I've been timing myself when writing the answers. If I know it I'll be able to write it fast. I just hope it's not like last years paper, it was so hard .

• Advertisement

I've been timing myself when writing the answers. If I know it I'll be able to write it fast. I just hope it's not like last years paper, it was so hard .

Yeah I nailed my timing in the mocks. Got everything done with 40 mins spare for regional. I hadn't really studied regional so I decided to make up my answers and hey I got full marks in them.:) Timing is just so crucial in geography.

Yeah I nailed my timing in the mocks. Got everything done with 40 mins spare for regional. I hadn't really studied regional so I decided to make up my answers and hey I got full marks in them.:) Timing is just so crucial in geography.

I know so much to write. I didn't have mocks this year so I'm not sure how I'm doing. But I've done more study than last year. I might just try and test myself someday to see how much I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carnibell

What do you think will come up for the economic elective if you're doing it? I hope colonisation is there somewhere

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

carnibell wrote: »
    What do you think will come up for the economic elective if you're doing it? I hope colonisation is there somewhere
    I'd study that and globalisation, EU policies and non-renewable energy (2010 was the adv's of renewables so my teacher thinks they might twist it the other way). With the kyoto protocol expiring this year hes convinced the environment will come up too haha. And MNCs of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carnibell

i love this elective its not that hard ha ye MNCs sure thats grand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 EmmaOs

Quick question - for a question on human activities with biomes, could I just use the exact same answer as for human activities with soil and say its the impact on the Sahel which is a desert biome? I have the headings overcropping, overgrazing and deforestation prepared in detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I had only about 20/30 minutes left for the electives and options questions. I had 80 percent before them, but it went down to 63 in the end as I answered them 2 badly. Not to bad as our teacher said we could add around 10 percent as it was marked badly. But I have to get timing right next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lauzie2011

Could someone put up a list of what physical and regional essays should be known for the exam ..would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stapler10

For physical im doing
    Explain how plate tectonics help us to understand the occurence of earthquakes (2006)
    The formation of one rock cycle and how it can produce a distinctive landscape - sedimeantary (2008)
    Human interaction with the rocy cylce - Quarrying
    Human interaction with the rocy cylce - Geothermal
    Landform development created by deposition - Beach
    Landform development created by deposition and/or eroison - Meander
    Human interaction with surface processes - HEP Ardnacrusha
    Human interaction with surface processes - Mass Movement
    Karst Landscape

For regional:
    Primary,secondary and teritary in BMW,Paris Basin and Brazil
    Culture in Belgium
    Urban growth in Sub continental
    EU

Ya so thats what im doing I hope it helps, does anybody reckon that is enough to cover both physical and regional, if not what other essay would I need to learn, thanks :)

Thanks ! :)

stapler10 wrote: »
    Human interaction with the rocy cylce - Quarrying

Ya so thats what im doing I hope it helps, does anybody reckon that is enough to cover both physical and regional, if not what other essay would I need to learn, thanks :)
    Just wondering, why're you doing two? :) I love geothermal, its so handy and easy to remember and it works well for explaining volcanoes too, but my teacher wants me to do quarrying and wont mark my geothermal answer :(

stapler10 wrote: »
    rocy cylce - Quarrying
    Landform development created by deposition - Beach
    Landform development created by deposition and/or eroison - Meander
    Human interaction with surface processes - HEP Ardnacrusha
    Human interaction with surface processes - Mass Movement

Why on earth are you doing two of each? You won't be asked to explain 2 will you? I'm almost certain they won't ask you to explain two landforms created by deposition, two interactions with the "rocy" cycle or two interactions with surface processes. Why are doing this?

Is anyone else learning the answers in the exam skills book?
    I'm using some answers from there , sometimes I mix it and use things from the text book or I try to put it into my own words. But for the physical like plate tectonics it's so much simpler than whats in my book.
    I wrote down a list of answers I need to learn earlier , it's mostly whats at the front of the exam papers.

I'm learning answers from that book as well but adding in extra material from my book ..my teacher is hopeless..that book is my only hope :/

The book cant save me from the option section, though its saving me for everything else :')

• Advertisement

I think every geography student is grateful to sue honan for writing that book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Yeah the book is a life saver but i dont feel the option questions are good in it. Most of them are layed out either in 1 big essay or with only 2 headings. This is exactly what my teacher told me not to do.

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Yeah the book is a life saver but i dont feel the option questions are good in it. Most of them are layed out either in 1 big essay or with only 2 headings. This is exactly what my teacher told me not to do.

What way are we supposed to do them?
    My teacher hasn't gone to it yet although I've it covered from last year my teacher just gave us sample answers like that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Im basically using that Sue Honan book to learn the entire course. I don't ever listen in class I just day dream, and I can honestly say that I haven't taken in more then 2 srp's in the last 2 years from Geography class. Don't know what I would do if that book did'nt exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Could anyone help me with the human elective i really dont know where to start ive been using sue honans book for everything else. What essays should i go learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I couldn't see this explained anywhere so I better ask:
    For regional, should we learn primary, secondary, and tertiary everywhere?

So far I've done GDA, Mezzo, Brazil. Must I do an answer for BMW and Paris Basin also?

Yup, they can be specific and they'll probably throw on some kind of Italy/Paris comparison q like they did with Ireland last year :/

Could anyone help me with the human elective i really dont know where to start ive been using sue honans book for everything else. What essays should i go learning?

For the human elective
    - Know how to draw a sketch map
    - OS map evidence of historical settlements
    - Settlement patterns
    - Population density/distribution
    - Migration - impacts ,changes in migration trends
    - Impact of urban growth
    - Cities - opportunites/problems
    - Central place theory
    - Land use models
    - Urban planning strategies

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

For the human elective
    - Know how to draw a sketch map
    - OS map evidence of historical settlements
    - Settlement patterns
    - Population density/distribution
    - Migration - impacts ,changes in migration trends
    - Impact of urban growth
    - Cities - opportunites/problems
    - Central place theory
    - Land use models
    - Urban planning strategies

Any essays in particular for this year do you know ?

• Advertisement

Any essays in particular for this year do you know ?

Overpopulation I'd say would be a good one to know and cause/effects of it.
    Land use theories, urban growth. They should all be in the Sue Honan book (I have the old version though)

I'm not quite sure about the rest , just make sure to know at least all of those and the human elective list. An know them well, I think settlement comes up quite a bit too . I couldn't really say what might come up this year an it's not really worth taking the risk, if you just make sure to be able to cover that in the list . Theres questions related to those in the front of the exam papers if you look under the human elective part.

Advertisement