Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lemlin wrote: »
    Was Wallace playing for both the seniors and U21s at the minute?
    He was. Didn't play a full game against Donegal but started against Galway, Monaghan and Armagh. Also played Sigerson for Maynooth. Was also doing athletics training at the same time. Some lad.

I think something does have to be done about the sheer number of competitions for younger players. It's extremely unfair on players talented enough to be a first team for the county seniors at a very young age. Maybe not allowing players be picked for both senior and U21 squads would be an idea.

What in the name of jesus is Collins doing still refereeing,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

3 points out of the last 4 - I' d have grabbed that after monaghan!
    Gotta fancy us against louth n will be interesting to see how down do against donegal tomorrow
    Hopefully it' ll be a rerun of last years league with a crap start n great finish. We live in hope...!

Christ that was hard work. Laois are tough to beat at the best of times, but it's even worse when they've 16 players.
    They vaastly improved in the second half but the first was very hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What in the name of jesus is Collins doing still refereeing,

Was he refereeing another Meath game? Given all that has been written about the past, that's just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Was he refereeing another Meath game? Given all that has been written about the past, that's just ridiculous.
    But of course. I thought he was finished but it turns out he was just dropped for last years championship.
    Once again, he was an absolute joke at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

But of course. I thought he was finished but it turns out he was just dropped for last years championship.
    Once again, he was an absolute joke at times.

For both teams in fairness...according to LMFM analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Was at the match myself and nearly ran onto the pitch and atoned for the shooting of the wrong michael collins. That man is a disgrace.

Referee's are really getting to me this year. Deegan gifted Armagh so many score-able frees and the ref in the Donegal game did the same keeping Donegal in touch. not to mention the free at the end and allowing Murphy to kick it about 15 years in from where it was given. Thank God we won because it's not easy travelling the country to see us robbed of a good league due to referring decisions.

Anyway 1 win from the last 2 games will keep us up. Hopefully we beat Down at home and get the bandwagon rolling over the Drogheda.
    Decent Meath crowd there tonight which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Game of 2 halves really. We let them get 6 points unanswered in the first. We seem to have that phase in every game where we fall asleep and the opposition take pot shots at us. A lot of poor passing, handling errors and very easily dispossessed in the first half.
    Have to ask what was Newman doing in the run up to their goal?
    More compossed in the second. Dont recall hitting too many wides while Laois kept raking them up. Still think our passing at times was poor, badly timed or we went for the wrong option. Despite that we kept the score ticking over. Especially during that vital phase deep in the second half. The same period Armagh got the upper hand on us.
    Less said about Collins the better. Perhaps we should divert his drive home via Beal na Blath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Great to get the win. Sounds like Collins tried to beat us again.

Between refereeing and ridiculous scheduling this league has been pretty underwhelming (for me anyway).

Anyway, let's hope the lads keep it going against Down.

• Advertisement

Does that result mean ye should now stay up lads? Yas must have about 5 points by now?

Does that result mean ye should now stay up lads? Yas must have about 5 points by now?

We're only a point ahead of Laois and if Galway beat Louth today they will only be point behind us so no I wouldn't say we're safe yet.

Perfect result for us in Drogheda today. Win against Down (which will be tough) and we'll be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

1 win from the last 2 is all we need but the lads should be aiming high and looking to make up for that armagh loss at home. would love to beat them and get a big crowd down to drogheda for the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭rpurfield

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    1 win from the last 2 is all we need but the lads should be aiming high and looking to make up for that armagh loss at home. would love to beat them and get a big crowd down to drogheda for the last day.

its all about momentum now, two good results and performances will stand us in good stead before the championship.

Séamus Mattimoe replaces Éamonn Wallace for the U21 semi final against Offaly. Have to feel for Brian McMahon. This will be his 6th intercounty start in less than three weeks.

Hurlers are up against Down in Ballycran on Sunday at 2. Simply have to win to have a chance of making the final but it's a big ask. Ballycran is waaaaaay out of the way. Was there for the Christy Ring semi replay last year and it looks like a very difficult place to go.

Séamus Mattimoe replaces Éamonn Wallace for the U21 semi final against Offaly. Have to feel for Brian McMahon. This will be his 6th intercounty start in less than three weeks.

Hurlers are up against Down in Ballycran on Sunday at 2. Simply have to win to have a chance of making the final but it's a big ask. Ballycran is waaaaaay out of the way. Was there for the Christy Ring semi replay last year and it looks like a very difficult place to go.

I think Mattimoe will be a good addition. I heard he impressed last week when he came on, although that was from a Kells man who could be biased.

From what I hear, McAnarney will have the Kells lads good and fit for the year!

1-16 to 1-9 up with 5 minutes left.

Finished 2-16 to 1-10. Predictably up against Dublin in the final in two weeks time. Can't see us causing an upset.

Fingers crossed anyway. We closed that game out well. Offaly looked the better team for much of the first half. Our goal ended it as a contest though. We were very composed and mature during the vital phase in the second half were games are won and loss.
    Good performances from Sheridan, Wallace and Mattimoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone know where the final will be played?

Portlaoise I think. Two weeks from yesterday.

Anyone know when the last time we won two consecutive games in the U21 championship was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i dont get the logic of dragging us and the dubs down to portlaoise on a midweek night. surely to jaysus tossing a coin for home advantage between ourselves and the dubs would be more sensible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

rpurfield wrote: »
    i dont get the logic of dragging us and the dubs down to portlaoise on a midweek night. surely to jaysus tossing a coin for home advantage between ourselves and the dubs would be more sensible

That's for sure. But the GAA and sensible don't sit well together. The mind surely boggles. Anyway, Portlaoise it is, and here's hoping that we'll give the Super Dubs a licking.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Ah jaysus Portlaoise on a Wednesday evening. Lovely

In case anyone missed it, the county board have done up a survey to help improve attendances in the league from next year onwards.

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=e9dwtv1grklbx42319477

Hurlers were beaten by 3 points in Down today. But they would have had to beat Down by nearly 10 points to qualify due to Fingal's capitulation against Wicklow.
    Hopefully we'll have the likes of Clynch back for the Christy Ring. We've got Down in the first round of that as well. Sick of the sight of them at this stage. Hopefully they're promoted to 2A so we won't have to worry about them next season.

Disappointing for the hurlers, they won every regular season league game last year but lost the final so didn't get promoted. Couldn't reproduce it this year.
    Maybe this is our year in the Christy Ring though.

Anyway, starting to get a bit bitchy over the U21 final venue

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=212623

• Advertisement

It's an absolute joke that the Dubs are refusing to agree to move it. I don't understand their thinking behind it. They'll be overwhelming favourites wherever they play so why not play it in Navan if Parnell Park isn't available. Seems to be a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face.
    Hilarious that Kettle suggested it be played before the Dubs senior game in Croke Park forgetting that firstly, the Meath seniors are playing that evening and secondly, even if they were playing on Sunday, there are two senior starters and three panelists on the U21 team. Bit much to expect them to tog out for two intercounty games in less than 24 hours.

Advertisement