Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Parnell or Navan for me are the only viable venues that suit fans on a Wednesday night. If Parnell isn't available it should be Navan. If as Tormey says we're not afraid of Parnell they shouldn't be afraid of Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hurlers were beaten by 3 points in Down today. But they would have had to beat Down by nearly 10 points to qualify due to Fingal's capitulation against Wicklow.
    Hopefully we'll have the likes of Clynch back for the Christy Ring. We've got Down in the first round of that as well. Sick of the sight of them at this stage. Hopefully they're promoted to 2A so we won't have to worry about them next season.

Any of ye guys notice the complete lack of coverage on RTE news again of the hurling outside the top division? Extended highlights of the Dub Tipp game and the KK Waterford game. RTE radio spouting on about the Dubs and the 2 or 3 points win for Tipp.

No mention of the result even of the Meath Down game and probably other games not even mentioned. We pay our licence fees too and a marginal reduction in the highlights would have facilitated the score being given.

In case anyone missed it, the county board have done up a survey to help improve attendances in the league from next year onwards.

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=e9dwtv1grklbx42319477

Thanks for that.

iDave wrote: »
    Parnell or Navan for me are the only viable venues that suit fans on a Wednesday night. If Parnell isn't available it should be Navan. If as Tormey says we're not afraid of Parnell they shouldn't be afraid of Navan.

I agree. However, the other issue is the day of the week. Why cannot the game be played on a Saturday or Sunday even if we have to wait a few weeks.

Corresct me if wrong but I recall many u21 games played on saturday afternoons. venue is not as much an issue then.

They should ask the Dubs do they want to play in Ashbourne, after all the dubs have poached enough players from the surrounding areas in recent years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

dixiefly wrote: »
    I agree. However, the other issue is the day of the week. Why cannot the game be played on a Saturday or Sunday even if we have to wait a few weeks.

Corresct me if wrong but I recall many u21 games played on saturday afternoons. venue is not as much an issue then.

They should ask the Dubs do they want to play in Ashbourne, after all the dubs have poached enough players from the surrounding areas in recent years:D

Some U21s are generally involved in senior League games at the weekends. There's a round of games this weekend and next weekend in Divisions 1 to 4.

You also have to allow clubs a chance to get through some of their leagues fixtures.

After all, ye seem to have about ten cups as well up in Mewath between the Tailteann Cup and other cups! Its tough to fit it all in I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lemlin wrote: »
    Some U21s are generally involved in senior League games at the weekends. There's a round of games this weekend and next weekend in Divisions 1 to 4.

You also have to allow clubs a chance to get through some of their leagues fixtures.

After all, ye seem to have about ten cups as well up in Mewath between the Tailteann Cup and other cups! Its tough to fit it all in I'd imagine.
    The first two rounds of the leagues went along without the U21s as far as I know. I know we (Ratoath) managed to win our first two games of the league without our 6 U21 players available. The U21s were available for the third round.

Sort of agree about the number of cups. I don't see the point of this new Intermediate Cup meaning the Feis Cup is only for Senior teams. Always thought the Feis Cup was a good chance for Intermediate teams to take on Senior teams in knockout football.

Biggy replaces Brian McMahon and Caolan Young cones in for Mickey Burke who got injured with the hurlers last weekend.
    Hope Caolan has improved since the O'Byrne Cup. He was roasted by his man far too often in January.

7 points to 6 down at half time. Lost Newman and Curran to injury. Curran looked to have dislocated his shoulder and it came from a terrible attempt at a shoulder from the Down player. Amazingly no free was given.
    Overall Down have just gotten frees much easier than we have.

Abroad listening on radio. Sounds like a great second half. Safe in D2 which is a relief. Good to finish off sending Louth down ;)

Very impressive second half. Biggy, Keoghan and Stephen Bray were best out there.
    Still worried about our first half performance. Basic skills like handpassing were lacking. Also had two gilt edged goal chances in the first 5 minutes.
    Big worry was three injuries to Newman, Curran and Harrington. Looks like all three could be out for a while. But at least we're safe and don't have to rush anyone back.

• Advertisement

Very impressive second half. Biggy, Keoghan and Stephen Bray were best out there.
    Still worried about our first half performance. Basic skills like handpassing were lacking. Also had two gilt edged goal chances in the first 5 minutes.
    Big worry was three injuries to Newman, Curran and Harrington. Looks like all three could be out for a while. But at least we're safe and don't have to rush anyone back.

I thought that Kevin Reilly was man of the match followed by Keoghan and Harrington when he was on. SOR got a lot of good work in. Biggy got a simply brilliant goal. Two nice points from Stephen Bray. Why did he not take on the free in the first half? The one Tormey missed after Newman went off. Lack of a backup free taker is a bit of a concern

Overall,while I have a lot of respect for Down football, their approach more resembled puke football last night. It was wonderful to see paddy Gilsenan break down one of their many cross field passing movements which resulted in a score.

It was a huge boost to the team as it was the first time they have beaten a northern style team with the defensive strategy. Still issues up front taking our scores but if we get Gillespie and Newman back then I think things are starting to look up again. Hope Harrington isn't out for too long as I thought he was pretty steady in there yesterday.

Disagree about Bray. Thought he was magnificent. Think he scored three and his vision when on the ball was fantastic. Two or three times when getting the ball in the corner, he was able to spot and find free men in front of the goal and set up scores. I don't think he's been at his best this season, but I think last night was his best game this season. Agree about the lack of a backup free taker. I find it strange that players (like Tormey last night) can kick fantastic long range points on the run and under pressure, yet stick them on a free at half the distance and they can't manage to put it over.

Down were awful to watch, I'd agree. Was impressed with our fitness as Down's players seemed out on their feet near the end.
    Harrington has improved immeasurably this season and hopefully he'll be back come championship.

Any slim hope of promotion looks to have gone. Monaghan managed to pull away against Laois this afternoon and Donegal are a full 9 points up against Louth at half time. I'd say the players will be absolutely kicking themselves at losing to Armagh now and the last minute equaliser against Donegal.
    At least we're guaranteed safety though.

By the way, if anyone's interested, the Meath Chronicle are running a Meath SFC Fantasy Football competition. Should be interesting.
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/fantasyfootball

Spamming the place at this rate.
    Laochra Gael at 6.25pm on TG4 this evening is focusing on Martin O'Connell.

Kildare relegated. Meath, Kildare and Cavan all in the one division next year. Will make for some good matches.

My hope is Monaghan and Donegal go up as I'd prefer Cavan play as few Ulster teams as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Roscommon, Cavan, Westmeath, Kildare, Down, and probably Laois and Armagh next year. We will have 4 home games and Down and Armagh away. So there won't likely be too much travelling which is good. Hopefully the team kicks on this year and more u21s make it. Would love to get back to Div 1 and so would the county board with the extra revenue it would bring.

Good second half v down. Ref was poor again. But we won.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Ref was a joke. Some awful decisions given against Meath. Thank God we won.

Disagree about Bray. Thought he was magnificent. Think he scored three and his vision when on the ball was fantastic. Two or three times when getting the ball in the corner, he was able to spot and find free men in front of the goal and set up scores. I don't think he's been at his best this season, but I think last night was his best game this season. Agree about the lack of a backup free taker. I find it strange that players (like Tormey last night) can kick fantastic long range points on the run and under pressure, yet stick them on a free at half the distance and they can't manage to put it over.

Down were awful to watch, I'd agree. Was impressed with our fitness as Down's players seemed out on their feet near the end.
    Harrington has improved immeasurably this season and hopefully he'll be back come championship.

Any slim hope of promotion looks to have gone. Monaghan managed to pull away against Laois this afternoon and Donegal are a full 9 points up against Louth at half time. I'd say the players will be absolutely kicking themselves at losing to Armagh now and the last minute equaliser against Donegal.
    At least we're guaranteed safety though.

What do you disagree with? I said he got some nice scores but wondered why he didnt take that free. That was a crucial free at the time. I think he was a much better option than Tormey to take it.

Kildare relegated. Meath, Kildare and Cavan all in the one division next year. Will make for some good matches.

My hope is Monaghan and Donegal go up as I'd prefer Cavan play as few Ulster teams as possible.

No one cares about Cavan on this thread.....;)

What do you disagree with? I said he got some nice scores but wondered why he didnt take that free. That was a crucial free at the time. I think he was a much better option than Tormey to take it.
    I read your original post before you edited it. When I posted, it was without realising you had done so :pac:
    Thought I was going mad there for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

No one cares about Cavan on this thread.....;)
    We might care if they beat us in D2 next spring.....;)

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    We might care if they beat us in D2 next spring.....;)

Holding yas to a point in 35 minutes like we did in Tailteann last year!

Ah no, I'm just saying the Division is shaping up well and, with the teams that look like being in it, we won't have a million miles to travel for away games.

Sure we might even give yas a trip down to Breffni to see what a proper ground looks like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Holding yas to a point in 35 minutes like we did in Tailteann last year!

Ah no, I'm just saying the Division is shaping up well and, with the teams that look like being in it, we won't have a million miles to travel for away games.

Sure we might even give yas a trip down to Breffni to see what a proper ground looks like ;)

we already seen your lovely ground against louth in 2011. i find it sad following meath around. so many counties have fine grounds that we'd love to have.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    we already seen your lovely ground against louth in 2011. i find it sad following meath around. so many counties have fine grounds that we'd love to have.

Yas brought a great atmosphere with yas that day. Just a pity Cavan got a hammering from Longford in the game before.

Cian Ward was on fire that day iirc. Shane O'Rourke also had a strong game at midfield.

Nothing to fear in Div 2 next year. MOD hasn't done too badly in the 2 league campaigns. We'll say 6/10. Restored Div 2 status in year one and maintained in year two. 2 big hammerings to Monaghan and at home to Cavan blotted the copy book and a very winnable match at home to Armagh which cost us any chance of promotion.
    Sad we've nothing to play for on the last day and little bit disappointed Louth were relegated yesterday. I was hoping we could of had the honour of doing it to them ourselves on the last day. Oh well, theres always Cavan next year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Interview with David Geaney here about life playing his football in Meath and a bit about how he sees Meath club football compared to Kerry:

www.livegaelic.com/features/dingle-dunboyne-aiming-keegan-cup-glory/

iDave wrote: »
    Nothing to fear in Div 2 next year. MOD hasn't done too badly in the 2 league campaigns. We'll say 6/10. Restored Div 2 status in year one and maintained in year two. 2 big hammerings to Monaghan and at home to Cavan blotted the copy book and a very winnable match at home to Armagh which cost us any chance of promotion.
    Sad we've nothing to play for on the last day and little bit disappointed Louth were relegated yesterday. I was hoping we could of had the honour of doing it to them ourselves on the last day. Oh well, theres always Cavan next year :P

Would ye have wanted to go up to Division 1 for next year though lads? There's a Monaghan man here in work and he'd be happier if they weren't going up. He thinks another year in Division 2 would have been better for their younger players.

I thought the majority of ye lads would be looking forward more to Kildare and Westmeath than Cavan!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

keane2097 wrote: »
    Interview with David Geaney here about life playing his football in Meath and a bit about how he sees Meath club football compared to Kerry:

www.livegaelic.com/features/dingle-dunboyne-aiming-keegan-cup-glory/

Good interview, seems like a nice lad. Pity he side-stepped the issue of whether he would actually play for Meath..mentioned Micko looking to youth etc but never actually answered the part about whether he himself would be interested.

Few nice comments about Meath football, could be just being polite but paints us in a positive light nonetheless

Obrieski wrote: »
    Good interview, seems like a nice lad. Pity he side-stepped the issue of whether he would actually play for Meath..mentioned Micko looking to youth etc but never actually answered the part about whether he himself would be interested.

Few nice comments about Meath football, could be just being polite but paints us in a positive light nonetheless
    Noticeed that as well. To be honest, if he was up for it I'd give him a shot. Even if it was just as a backup free taker to Newman. Though I suppose giving up so much of your time to train for a county that isn't your home one may not appeal to him and you can't blame him for that.

keane, tell him I've got him in my Meath Chronicle fantasy football team so he's got to give it his all ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone else feel pretty underwhelmed with the league this year? I had a lot of hopes for it and bought my season ticket and one for my daughter. Galway and Down games were the ones that were most memorable for me.

I would be a reasonable positive and active supporter but the following are issues that I think should be looked at.

- give the league divisions a regional focus. Donegal was just too far of a drive for many of us commuting every day. I know some still went but a 6 hour return trip is too much.

- by giving a regional focus it will ensure a Meath Dublin fixture every year. Meath and Dublin are major rivals (like United Liverpool) and should plays each other at least once a year.

- fixture timings were all over the place. Some games Saturday nights, sometimes 3 weeks between games, sometimes 6 days. Then they arrange an away game on a Saturday evening in Portlaoise to clash with the biggest rugby game in a few years. In my opinion the games should be on Sunday afternoons on a fortnightly basis.

- poor refereeing. Rules seem to be changed regularly and we end with significant inconsistencies in refereeing and games decided by incompetent refs.

- Negative tactics. I was v surprised at the tactics employed by Down last weekend. They had beaten Monaghan the week before. It was a fantastic feeling to beat the tactics but there was too much concentration on cross field passing as well as the defensive tactics.

- influence of TV. It seems as if the fixtures are more dictated by TV rights with very little thoughts for players, supporters etc. perhaps that's the way of the world now but attendances will continue to drop if this stuff continues.

Advertisement