Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Newman starts. Brian McMahon starts in place of Cillian O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

All over them early on here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Oh dear. What was the keeper at for the goal

Asleep for the last 15 minutes. So lucky to get the two scrappy goals. 1 point up at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Feckless rogues getting me wet and taking my money. They're lacking a bit of guile. Not impressed with S Bray. Some collection of wides.

• Advertisement

What an absolute embarrassment the team were.
    Let's get this straight, this was not a good Armagh side. And add to that the fact that they were decimated by injuries makes this even more embarrassing. The only bright spark I thought was Brian McMahon in the first half who did pretty well on his full debut. Biggy and Shane O'Rourke looked disinterested at times. I'd be in favour of giving Biggy a spell on the bench because he simply doesn't track back and he made no effort to run into space to look for the ball.
    Very worrying that today was actually the lowest score we've conceded in the three games so far.

A word on Mr. Deegan. I've long since run out of words to describe his performances. He was unbelievably bad yet again. At one stage, he applied advantage for Armagh for a good 10 seconds before calling it back when we won the ball back. Also denied a stonewall penalty against Newman in the second half.

Well at least they've made up my mind on whether or not to go to Donegal next weekend. Not a chance am I giving up my whole Sunday to travel 400km to Ballybofey to watch yet another hammering away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Let's get this straight, this was not a good Armagh side. And add to that the fact that they were decimated by injuries makes this even more embarrassing. The only bright spark I thought was Brian McMahon in the first half who did pretty well on his full debut. Biggy and Shane O'Rourke looked disinterested at times. I'd be in favour of giving Biggy a spell on the bench because he simply doesn't track back and he made no effort to run into space to look for the ball.
    Very worrying that today was actually the lowest score we've conceded in the three games so far.

A word on Mr. Deegan. I've long since run out of words to describe his performances. He was unbelievably bad yet again. At one stage, he applied advantage for Armagh for a good 10 seconds before calling it back when we won the ball back. Also denied a stonewall penalty against Newman in the second half.

Well at least they've made up my mind on whether or not to go to Donegal next weekend. Not a chance am I giving up my whole Sunday to travel 400km to Ballybofey to watch yet another hammering away from home.

Saw the result and had a worry that Armagh were clicking, particularly with Clarke's high score, but the above at least provides some hope for a Cavan man knowing our first game is Armagh away in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Our worst fears confirmed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hammer, you have expressed my exact feelings and sentiments after last night.

You hit the bnail on the head with our comment that this was actually the lowest we have conceded in the three games.

Our defence is leaking scores like a sieve. It is hard not to concluded that Mick O'Dowd is naive in the managerial stakes. Great to build with a young, fast, passing team. These are the hallmarks of a team that would be successful. But a team needs a good foundadtion of good defending, hard work, bravery at the back and around the midfield. We dont have that, the players may not be available in the county and we have been unlucky with injuries.

We have a forward line that are thinking of goals and not points. We dont know how to take the easy point. I think this part of the game is fixable by the current management. However, I feel that serious rethinking of defensive work and the gathering of the breakling ball needs to be done. In fact, Mick should think seriously of adding someone of the likes of Liam Harnan, Darren Fay or Mick Lyons to the backroom team. I dont know the stats but I would not be surprised if we have conceded more in these 3 games than in the first 3 games of any league campaign in recent years including the much maligned Banty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

First of all, hard luck to the Royals here. It's an ill wind that doesn't blow someone some good and for all your anguish, believe me that result was treated with elation amongst our ranks. I've been to Navan a few times for league games - with much better teams than we had last night - and each time left with our tail between our legs; so sods law, I don't go and we win.

Our form has been indifferent to say the least and with a few players absent we went more in hope. However according to reports we appeared to show great spirit and determination and were worth the win. I'm only hearing it second hand, but some of our supporters felt that Meath were maybe a wee bit naive in their tactics, for example leaving Jamie Clarke one-on-one with a defender. If true, that is a rare occurrence as JC is normally double or even triple marked.

Over the last five or six years any reasons for optimism on our part have been few and far between, so a win like this will have many rushing for evidence that we might be turning a corner. The old adage about a swallow and the summer rings true for me.

I find it interesting reading your own thoughts on how you think Meath are going. It may help to build a bit of perspective about ourselves last night. I've said it regularly on the Armagh Supporters' Forum that if all the counties in Ireland were listed in order of merit, then I would doubt we would be top sixteen. In that context, I would be more than happy that we avoid relegation this year.

Last night was huge in the regard and a win over Laois next week would leav us well placed to avoid the drop. We still have to go to Galway, and after last summer I would never take anything for granted, and also have to play Monaghan and Donegal at home.

I said at the start of the campaign that I thought the top three would be Donegal, Monaghan and Down in that order, with Louth and ourselves favourite for the two relegation places. I think now that relegation is more wide open than I thought, with the two to drop coming from the other five. Still all to play for though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭rpurfield

It seems that we are going backwards this year. Its disheartening to see really and it feels like well never be back to the point where we are heading to croker in the summer not fearing anyone

rpurfield wrote: »
    It seems that we are going backwards this year. Its disheartening to see really and it feels like well never be back to the point where we are heading to croker in the summer not fearing anyone

To be honest lads, I'm very surprised a few of ye are only realising this. I'm not here to rub your noses in it but strength in depth is a real problem for Meath and that doesn't look like changing.

Big opinions were built up of the team last year on what was essentially two wins against Wexford and Wicklow.

I don't hear mention of any new players that are going to bring anything new to the table while players like Gilsenan, who for me is not up to it, are still involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Cant believe I even entertained the notion we were in a promotion fight. Its 2011 & 12 all over again I'm afraid. Get an early win and then a streak of defeats.
    Saturday night poses a big question. If we cant beat an average Armagh side at home, can we beat an above average Down side at home and determined Laois and Louth sides away?
    Donegal is a write off as far as I'm concerned. In fact I'm dreading just how bad it will be. Perhaps Omagh 2012 proportions.
    I now feel the horrible prospect of Louth once again sending us down on the last day.

Lemlin, I don't think big opinions were built up last year. Certainly there was cause for optimism. We only had four games in the championship. The only wins did come against Wicklow and Wexford, but would you really have expected us to beat Dublin and Tyrone? We put it up to Dublin in the Leinster final and should have beaten Tyrone. That's what the optimism was based on.
    And for what it's worth, I don't think we're going backwards. I think we're going forwards, albeit infuriatingly slowly. I still would be disappointed if we didn't make a Leinster final this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Lemlin wrote: »
    Saw the result and had a worry that Armagh were clicking, particularly with Clarke's high score, but the above at least provides some hope for a Cavan man knowing our first game is Armagh away in the Summer.

Why are you constantly posting on the Meath forum when you are from Cavan? It is the Meath GAA discussion thread not Cavan. I want to read and debate the issues with Meath supporters not some wum.

You seem obsessed with how Meath are doing. Concentrate on Cavans promotion push from Div 3 instead.

Lemlin, I don't think big opinions were built up last year. Certainly there was cause for optimism. We only had four games in the championship. The only wins did come against Wicklow and Wexford, but would you really have expected us to beat Dublin and Tyrone? We put it up to Dublin in the Leinster final and should have beaten Tyrone. That's what the optimism was based on.
    And for what it's worth, I don't think we're going backwards. I think we're going forwards, albeit infuriatingly slowly. I still would be disappointed if we didn't make a Leinster final this summer.

exactly, the first half display where we matched and bet dublin only to run out of steam and the fact that tyrone had to resort to dragging lads down to see the game out against us had me hopeful of some big improvements but it isnt looking likely. the plan needs refining a fair bit but unlike under banty there is some degree of a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

rpurfield wrote: »
    exactly, the first half display where we matched and bet dublin only to run out of steam and the fact that tyrone had to resort to dragging lads down to see the game out against us had me hopeful of some big improvements but it isnt looking likely. the plan needs refining a fair bit but unlike under banty there is some degree of a plan

Is there? Not sure if I agree that there is any more of an effective way of playing developed than under Banty. Banty didn't cover himself in glory but I haven't seen a significant improvement under the new guys.

I have watched Meath since approx 1984 and in the last few games we have conceded more than at any time in that period.

Fair play to the management for bringing in new players but it doesn't look like they are getting instructions or are not obeying them. Talent isn't great in the county but I have been amazed at the (seemingly) laissez faire approach in recent weeks. It was baffling in Clones how they watched the first half without making a change. Also, why wasn't there some effort to change the approach against Armagh?

I am beginning to get a bit worried that our management are too nice, certainly Grimley looked more intent on the sideline on Saturday than MOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭mattser

risteard7 wrote: »
    Why are you constantly posting on the Meath forum when you are from Cavan? It is the Meath GAA discussion thread not Cavan. I want to read and debate the issues with Meath supporters not some wum.

You seem obsessed with how Meath are doing. Concentrate on Cavans promotion push from Div 3 instead.

In fairness risteard, Lemlin seems to have a connection with the county, and obviously goes to a fair few club matches. I don't think there should be an embargo on ' outsiders ' giving their tuppenceworth here, even if I get the hump sometimes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

mattser wrote: »
    In fairness risteard, Lemlin seems to have a connection with the county, and obviously goes to a fair few club matches. I don't think there should be an embargo on ' outsiders ' giving their tuppenceworth here, even if I get the hump sometimes too.

Agreed, from what I have seen Lemin does have a strong interest in and knowledge of Meath football and although I don't agree with his analysis of our championship form of last year I welcome the counter balance his views bring here.

Just a mod note:
    Anyone, as long as they aren't trolling, is allowed post in any county's discussion thread. No matter what county they're from.

• Advertisement

I think the main "plan" from the management that needs to be dropped ASAP is the tendency of the full back line to go into all out attack mode. I think I've seen Kevin Reilly attempt more shots (that weren't from inside his own half) this year than I have in his entire career.
    I do think there is a plan. We're obviously going for a quick running game while always feeding it to a free player. That's great moving out from defence, but if teams swarm their defence, we just cannot seem to break them down. Either we find a way, or we simply have to improve our long range shooting, which is atrocious.

In other news, the U21 team for Wednesday's game against Louth has been named.
    Meath (Under 21 FC v Louth) - Andy Colgan; Simon Carty, Conor McGill, David McQuillan; Padraig Harnan, Shane Melia, Shane McEntee; Adam Flanagan, Conor Sheridan; Charles Brogan, Bobby O'Brien, Neil Shortall (capt); Eamon Wallace, Bryan McMahon, Joey Wallace.

Subs: Robbie Burlingham, Cathal Finn, Brian Power, Oran Fitzpatrick, Harry Rooney, Seamus Mattimoe, Anthony Burke, Barry Dardis, Sean Sheridan.

Some amount of speed in that full forward line. Unfortunately Cillian O'Sullivan is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Besta luck to the 21s tonight.

Great to see 5 Ratoath men starting with the 6th extremely unlucky not to be in from the start too in my opinion. Louth will always up their game for the green and gold and they've certainly brought our boys far enough away for the encounter but I would be confident of a victory and hopefully a long run in a competition we have massively underperformed in.

Meath 2-12, Louth 3-9 at full time so extra time it is.
    Anyone at it?

2-14 to 3-11 draw AET.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Replay next Wednesday in Navan at 7.30. wasn't there unfortunately but Meath lucky enough to get a second chance by all acoounts. 11 wides to 2 during normal time. Ratoath lads did most of the scoring, expected I suppose with 4 of them starting in the forwards. Offaly beat Kildare tonight too, winner of this game plays them. Dubs beat Carlow by 30+ points

It's the Meath GAA discussion thread and I'm discussing Meath GAA. It shouldn't matter if I'm from Timahoe or Timbuktu once I'm discussing the relevant topic.

If you don't agree with my opinion, then debate the point. Don't use a shoddy argument such as you're from a different county so shouldn't be in here.

I'm far from obsessed with how Meath are doing but due to close friends, family and my better half being from Meath, I have attended many of their games over the years, as well as club games in the county.

Last year for example, I attended 3 of Meath's four championship games. That is probably more than some of the Meath posters on here. I also attended various club matches and three of their league games.

In fact, I was one of very few on here to put up a review of the Meath junior and intermediate finals.

I think the main "plan" from the management that needs to be dropped ASAP is the tendency of the full back line to go into all out attack mode. I think I've seen Kevin Reilly attempt more shots (that weren't from inside his own half) this year than I have in his entire career.
    I do think there is a plan. We're obviously going for a quick running game while always feeding it to a free player. That's great moving out from defence, but if teams swarm their defence, we just cannot seem to break them down. Either we find a way, or we simply have to improve our long range shooting, which is atrocious.

In other news, the U21 team for Wednesday's game against Louth has been named.

Some amount of speed in that full forward line. Unfortunately Cillian O'Sullivan is injured.

Any particular reason why Mattimoe isn't starting? He was the best player in the Meath intermediate championship for me last year. So much so that a certain Meath hero marked him down for 'special attention' in the intermediate final.

He's a forward that can win his own ball and take a score well. Those aren't easy to come by.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Any particular reason why Mattimoe isn't starting? He was the best player in the Meath intermediate championship for me last year. So much so that a certain Meath hero marked him down for 'special attention' in the intermediate final.

He's a forward that can win his own ball and take a score well. Those aren't easy to come by.
    The only thing I can think of is he can't give the commitment required. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was surprised he wasn't tried out in the O'Byrne Cup either.

Team for Donegal shows David Bray replaced by Damien Carroll and Biggy replaced by Donnacha Tobin. Hopefully this is the kick Graham needs as he's been coasting through games for too long and doing absolutely no work when he doesn't have the ball. The fact he's being replaced by Tobin points to us playing with a 5 man forward line with Tobin playing sweeper. Something had to be done as conceding an average of over 20 points a game has to stop.

The only thing I can think of is he can't give the commitment required. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was surprised he wasn't tried out in the O'Byrne Cup either.

Team for Donegal shows David Bray replaced by Damien Carroll and Biggy replaced by Donnacha Tobin. Hopefully this is the kick Graham needs as he's been coasting through games for too long and doing absolutely no work when he doesn't have the ball. The fact he's being replaced by Tobin points to us playing with a 5 man forward line with Tobin playing sweeper. Something had to be done as conceding an average of over 20 points a game has to stop.

need a bloody miracle going up there if you ask me. wed nearly want the entire panel on the pitch!!

• Advertisement

Anyone up there today? Couldn't bring myself to give up my entire Sunday (again) to almost certainly see another defeat.
    I'd be surprised if Tormey starts as rumour was he was brought to hospital last Saturday night. Also, it's a lot to ask the likes of Wallace, Harnan and McMahon to likely play 5 intercounty games (at least) in two weeks.

Advertisement