Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Seán Curran in for Harnan. McDonagh in for Wallace.

Good start. Lead 1-7 to 1-5 at half time.
    But we were 7 points to 2 up after 25 minutes and according to LMFM, Donegal just seemed to get more and more into the game as it went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Good start. Lead 1-7 to 1-5 at half time.
    But we were 7 points to 2 up after 25 minutes and according to LMFM, Donegal just seemed to get more and more into the game as it went on.
    And Donegal have a slight wind advantage in the second half, but it sounds like a much better performance than clones everybody working hard. Bray seems to be kicking away a lot of possession again

Needed a good start to the second half and got it. 1-9 to 1-5. Biggy on for Bray and Harnan on for Tobin.

And we're behind.
    Predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

And in front again!

1 point up. 13 minutes left.
    ME HEART :(

Meath up by a point. Less than 5 minutes left and LMFM go to the Louth game :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

In front again!

Pádraic Hughes plays for the draw by the sounds of it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Don't know how to feel about this. Expected a hammering but throw away a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

1 point is better than no points I suppose

iDave wrote: »
    Don't know how to feel about this. Expected a hammering but throw away a win.
    My feeling as well. To lose a point with the last kick of the game is sickening. But after that performance, the team have no excuse away to Laois next Saturday. Anything less than a win there would mean the point today is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Meath are predictably unpredictable yet again.

Would have bitten your hand off if you offered me a draw after last weeks shambles

Well done to the hurlers who beat Fingal in Trim by 5-22 to 1-7. Does their points difference the world of good. You'd expect them to beat Armagh next weekend and then it'll be a win or bust game away to Down.

If we could just summon a win in Portlaoise and at home to Down we can relax in Drogheda.
    As already stated we are predictably unpredictable.
    A win for Galway is a worry we can't afford for them to hit form.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Its some roller coaster being a Meath football supporter.

Delighted with the point given the last 2 matches and today's opposition away from home. But im now further bemused as to where we are as a team.

Just glad of a good performance this time, and lets hope they can build on it and secure D2 status at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i dunno what way to take yesterday like everyone i was expecting a drubbing so to get anything from it is a good result, but on the other hand to have a really really brilliant morale boosting win snatched away is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Once again keogan was outstanding, cleaned up endless dirty ball around centre back and the middle.

Carroll was excellent at times but gave the ball away far too easily in the 2nd half, ran into trouble too often and got knocked around easily, fumbled the ball several times.

O Rourke gave away silly ball from handpasses, did ok in the 1st half but like carroll took silly options and ended up losing the ball as a result, his head definitely dropped as a result.

Tormey and menton were good, tormey looks heavy and lethargic but done well.

Newman's cool head kept us in it at times, never panicked on the ball like a few others when donegal had 11 men in defence.

The only time in the 2nd half meath threatened was when they ran at them but biggy seemed hesitant to run with it.

The missed chance at the end was a killer, as bad as you'l see, think he was in two minds to pass or shoot.

Overall happy with the result considering the mood beforehand, all of a sudden Laois and down look beatable

Sounded like if that last chance had fallen to almost anyone but O'Sullivan we would have been home and dry. Thought it very strange that he was brought on having not featured at all before that.
    Very nervous about Laois. They seem to be our bogey team over the last 7 or 8 years in the league and championship. Also, we've only won two away games out of over 15 in our 5 seasons in division 2. Also, the fact that Louth and Galway play each other Sunday means we simply have to win this.
    Last Sunday won't mean anything against Laois. I'd have been aiming for 2 points from these two away games. If we lose on Saturday, then I'd class these results as disappointing.

Meanwhile, Brian Power comes in for Charles Brogan for the U21 replay against Louth in Navan tomorrow evening. Six Ratoath players starting :eek:

• Advertisement

Meath leading 1-4 to 4 points at half time. Joey Wallace got the goal. Louth are packing the defence making it very difficult to score from play. Referee is letting a lot go.
    Big worry in that Eamonn Wallace had to be taken off injured. Looked pretty serious.

Hope Wallace isn't facing too long on the sidelines

1.13 0.10 win
    Flattered us a bit but great to beat that lot.

Offaly in Parnel park next Wednesday

How that Louth shot that hit the post didn't go in I'll never know. 6 points definitely flattered us but at the same time, the referee gave them almost everything.

Hopefully Wally isn't out for long, but it didn't look good.

Apologies for the language but f*ck f*ck f*ck!!!!! :mad::mad:
    Extra f*cks because I'm a Ratoath man :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Very very bad news for Eamonn and also his club and the county team.

GAA scheduling is becoming ridiculous. Mick O' Dowd is quoted in this weeks chronicle complaining about the amount of games the players are playing with the league, sigerson and the under 21 championship.

Why is the under 21 championship being played now anyway? Is it that the powers that be want a free run at other competitions during the summer. in my opinion there should only be the National league and sigerson at the moment. If they must play the u21 then those players should be exempt from the league.

The one competition that you would expect consistency in the dates is the national league but it is all over the place. Game v Galway followed by Monaghan a week later and then 3 weeks to the Donegal game followed by away to Laois 6 days later.

I have a season ticket but have decided that i will watch the rugby at home on Saturday with family that are calling over for it. It is a huge huge game and I am interested in all sports and, while GAA would be my number 1, I am very surprised that they are scheduling the game to almost clash with O'Driscolls last game for Ireland.

Can we not go back to the old days with the National League on sundays with alternate sundays for football and hurling. Maybe start with 2 or 3 games before Christmas or abandon the O'Byrne Cup. The current scheduling (or lack ) is demeaning the competition and, if i was the sponsor, I wouldnt be too happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

dixiefly wrote: »
    Very very bad news for Eamonn and also his club and the county team.

GAA scheduling is becoming ridiculous. Mick O' Dowd is quoted in this weeks chronicle complaining about the amount of games the players are playing with the league, sigerson and the under 21 championship.

Why is the under 21 championship being played now anyway? Is it that the powers that be want a free run at other competitions during the summer. in my opinion there should only be the National league and sigerson at the moment. If they must play the u21 then those players should be exempt from the league.

The one competition that you would expect consistency in the dates is the national league but it is all over the place. Game v Galway followed by Monaghan a week later and then 3 weeks to the Donegal game followed by away to Laois 6 days later.

I have a season ticket but have decided that i will watch the rugby at home on Saturday with family that are calling over for it. It is a huge huge game and I am interested in all sports and, while GAA would be my number 1, I am very surprised that they are scheduling the game to almost clash with O'Driscolls last game for Ireland.

Can we not go back to the old days with the National League on sundays with alternate sundays for football and hurling. Maybe start with 2 or 3 games before Christmas or abandon the O'Byrne Cup. The current scheduling (or lack ) is demeaning the competition and, if i was the sponsor, I wouldnt be too happy.

Agree re the schedule. It's a joke. Some of these lads also play Railway Cup on top of the O'Byrne Cup, Sigerson, National League and U21.

Some competitions need to be withdrawn.

Was Wallace playing for both the seniors and U21s at the minute?

Since 2010, Cavan U21s are withdrawn from the senior team a week or more before their own championship starts.

I feel your pain. We lost Gearoid McKiernan for the Championship last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

gutted about wallace, surely its down to training that these injuries are happening as thats three high profile (the gooch and ciaran kilkenny) in the last month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

rpurfield wrote: »
    gutted about wallace, surely its down to training that these injuries are happening as thats three high profile (the gooch and ciaran kilkenny) in the last month or so.

Ruairi Deane who played in Cork's league games so far as well.

Advertisement