Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Heard a rumour at the Cavan match today that Jordan Morris was dropped today because he had words with O’Rourke and told him he’s the worst manager he’s ever seen, club or county.

Anyone hear that?

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

from what ive seen of JM Cavan are welcome to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

god that was a shocker of a game yesterday, from both sides really. Kildare shouldve put us away numerous times, couldn't believe there was still only 4 points in it at one stage. Felt like the longest drawn out, bland game Ive been to as a Meath Gal in a long long time...I dont believe the JM stuff above at all, **** stirring.... but I do wonder is there a niggle there between players and management, something feels off..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I heard that was the warm up bout to McGeeney and Rian O'Neill myself

• Advertisement

Morris played with Kingscourt at the weekend & scored 2 points from play. Are other members of the Meath panel back playing with their clubs in League games? I heard he has left the Meath panel over the falling out.

Anyone not on the 26 went back to play with their clubs, its been happening since the season started. We Are Meath ran through the panel changes post league and said he is still part of it. Personally I think its a bit off the wall making a heap of changes to a panel a month out from championship but that's another thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Disappointing result for the U20s against Laois last night. 4 points up at half time but only scored once in the second half and lost by 5 (with the help of conceding a goal in the last minute). Hopefully it was just a case of them not taking it too seriously having already qualified but would have been an advantage to go straight through to the semis.

After Clare win I take it meath need to reach lenister final or hope westmeath reach it from their side to avoid Tailtean cup.

Actually not sure what happens if Westmeath make the final. Though after our performance in the league, if we don't make the Leinster final, then we simply don't deserve to be in the Sam Maguire proper.

Quarter final will be against Offaly in Tullamore.

• Advertisement

Nothing happens if Westmeath make the Leinster Final. They already have a place in Sam due to winning the Tailteann Cup. Therefore them making the Leinster Final doesn’t change anything for anyone.

Kildare are also still at risk if they don’t make the Leinster Final as Meath could make it and knock them down the pecking order or, even if Meath didn’t make it, Cavan or Down making an Ulster Final, knocks them out too.

Westmeath reaching leinster final means their place for winning tailtean cup goes to 16th best team as they will be 2nd seeds.

Westmeath reaching the Leinster Final only changes seeding, it doesn’t change who qualifies or doesn’t for the Sam/Tailteann.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It does open up one extra space as currently it would be:

8 provincial finalists

Westmeath

7 best League teams not in a provincial final

Because Westmeath would be in a final, that third category expands to 8 League teams.

Westmeath are in the Sam Maguire. One of 16 teams. How can them meeting the qualification criteria for something they are already in open another space?

For example, Westmeath qualifying for the Leinster Final will not change anything for Meath or Kildare. They were both in Sam and remained in it unless a 3rd or 4th Division Munster/Ulster team reach those provincial finals and they don’t reach the Leinster final. That is now guaranteed to happen in Munster with Cork losing today.

Therefore it’s now up to Meath, with Clare winning today, if they will play in Sam. Nothing Westmeath does will affect them or what comp they play in. To play in Sam, Meath have to get to the Leinster final. If they do, they take Kildare’s place in Sam and Kildare are gone to Tailteann.

The 16 Sam Maguire teams that qualify are the four provincial winners, the four provincial final losers, the previous Tailteann Cup winners and the next 7 teams ranked by league position. If Westmeath make the Leinster final, then they occupy one of the provincial spots and the Tailteann cup winner's spot. So an extra league spot opens up to keep it at 16 teams.

Think cavan king is correct. West meath getting to a final is no diferent to dublin getting there. See below for the 16 as it stands.

Mayo

Galway

Ross

Kerry

Tyrone

Mon

Dub

Derry

Armagh

Donegal

West meath

Con finalst

Mun finalst

Louth

Cork

Kildare

I think you are looking at it different to most people. At present Meath and Kildare have Sam Maguire slots due to their League finishing positions.

Meath are set to lose that based on the Munster finalist.

Westmeath making the Leinster Final changes nothing for Meath/Kildare as I’ve said above.

I don’t really understand why there’s such discussion about it - the bottom line is Meath need to make the Leinster Final or they are playing Tailteann Cup.

A much better debate would be whether you think that would actually be better for the team?

Cavan King I think the discussion just comes from everyone getting used to the new system! Your question is right, it might be better for development but on current form I can't see the team setting it alight. From a number of games point of view it is certainly good though.

I think it’ll provide the chance to build some momentum in it. Last year, despite the promotion, Cavan played very poorly in Div 4 and still had themselves right for championship.

• Advertisement

As rpurfield mentioned, I'm trying to get my head around the whole thing. Honestly, I'm glad that we'll actually have to make the Sam Maguire on merit rather than by default because if we don't make the Leinster final, then we deserve to be in the Tailteann Cup.

Another rotten night for football for the U20s last night but they were still able to get past Westmeath 0-8 to 1-3 with Westmeath's goal coming from a penalty with the last kick of the game. Dublin up next week in the semi final.

Thoughts and Prayers with the CCC after another batch of games fell by the wayside last night. I was due out myself and got a call just before I left the house that the pitch wasn't playable. Fair play to any club that got their games on it was a horrendous evening. I think that's at least three rounds of league affected by weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The fixture planner shows 5 football rounds to have been played by now, and I know my club only have 3.

Similar story in hurling, we're supposed to be on round 3 this weekend but it's our first match.

We may get ready for a lot of Tuesday and Thursday games!

They'd moved to Tuesday and Thursday anyway. Its going to be chaos, I'd imagine you'll see a bit of Tuesday Saturday Tuesday in a few weeks. I've seen the planner at the start of the year space for refixing is at a premium, football only clubs might be ok but dual clubs will suffer

Cavan apparently played Meath in a challenge last weekend. Anyone hear anything? Re Morris, he played later as a sub that day in the League in Cavan with Kingscourt. We Are Cavan didn’t know if he played in the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

Another disappointment with the U20s. Almost every game, like the seniors, they go far too long without scoring at times. Today it was nearly 20 minutes in the second half between scores.

Seems to be a serious issue bringing decent minor teams through to U20 and beyond. This squad (more or less) at minor level beat Dublin by 11 points. Our minors have won 3 of the last 5 Leinster minor championships (not including the special U17 tournament in 2017) as well as the 2021 All Ireland yet haven't even managed to get to a Leinster U20 final in that time. It is immensely frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Big turnaround indeed from Leinster Minor 2020/21. Looking at both Dublin and Kildare both was big physical teams and well conditioned begs the question what the Meath county board are doing with their young footballers to have them prepared right for the U20 grade.

The squad this year were dogged by injury too. Lads were in and out and only coming back etc. Add that to having played four weeks in a row before last night it wouldn't help. I'd agree with Hammer though these long spells of not scoring are a worry at any grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I totally agree - very frustrating. I couldn't get to the game last night as I just wasn't home in time. I do think that they are a nice bunch of players but, as you say, we just don't seem to be able to convert minor success to under 20's.

From what I can see there was plenty of resources and support given to this team but we are missing something. Perhaps we need a good under 19 club championship or a regional one late in the year before the under 20's to try and identify who in that age group are playing well - the Dubs often have a new batch of players at under 20 versus minor.

Hopefully a decent number of those players will graduate to the senior squad over the next few years anyway.

Advertisement