Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

I would say definitely the best candidate for the job. Shocked he has put his name forward. Will have a proper knowledge of who and what is available to Meath and expectations will not be that high. I would give him the job for as long as he wants it to be honest. Fantastic boost for Meath football imo👍

He could be our Juergen klopp maybe?😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭tanko

I can’t believe Eamonn Fitzmaurice didn’t get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Great appointment for Meath. There could be fellas out there who may have a great club championship but on the fence wether to commit to the county. A legend like O'Rourke could swing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Interested to see how he gets on, I had zero time for himself, Spillane and brolly on TSG, not one of them had managed at county level and they should have been put out to pasture ages ago imo. Good to see that he's not afraid to walk the walk in what could well be a thankless job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The rumour is Eamon Fitzmaurice is assistant manager and coach. Donie Buckley coach also. With Ivers Meath ladies S and C coach who was also part of Jimmy McGuinnes s and C coaching team are all part of management team. O Rourke Fitzmaurice Buckley Callaghan Bray Ivers is a serious management team. O Rourke Fitzmaurice Buckley particularly are strong trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

You reckoned Malachy O’Rourke would be Meath manager. Then Fitzmaurice. Then it went back to Bernard Flynn with Fitzmaurice as assistant. Then somebody else from Meath that I can’t even remember. With all your alleged inside knowledge, never once did you mention O’Rourke. No offence but I think you’d be better wait on fact rather than posting more random speculation.

Above you’ve just named a few high profile individuals who are linked with pretty much every job going.

A lot of people reckoned Banty got the management job because he was financing some of his team himself. Who is going to fund high profile coaches in Meath?

O Rourke ruled himself out of job on TV. It was long on going process with twists and turns. I always wanted Fitzmaurice involved. I would be delighted if he was involved with Buckley. I heard he is. I am absolutely delighted. I cannot hide my delight. I want to share any news I have heard with other Meath fans here. What's wrong with that. I don't care if I am right or wrong I just care Meath have strong management team.

Anyway Thanks again for more digs. If I want to post message about Meath football as Meath man and I think that is perfectly grand. Thanks for more digs. I don't care what u say as long as Meath have excellent management. All Meath people would be delighted with excellent management team of O Rourke Fitzmaurice Buckley Ivers. But of course around country the peoole who dislike Meath will not be happy. Meath football being successful is all that matters. This management team with underage success would be massive step in right direction.

No problem with sharing news but the news should be correct. A lot of the posts seem to be pub talk based on the latest rumours.

It’s a bit hypocritical to take the high ground re “digs” but then throw some yourself. I may be from your neighbouring county but my posts here will show that I attend plenty of both Meath club and county games and have always taken a keen interest.

It will be interesting to see who the management team are when they are announced. Like I asked though, are Devenish going to help with paying costs of a management team like that or who will?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Donie Buckley is supposed to be a good coach..... however the reality is Donie has never coached a team to win an all-ireland..... so im not sure if i was the manager that i would be adding Donie to my management team..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Paddy Tally had never coached a team to win an all Ireland either ... until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

You should be writing for the Sun at this stage.

We are Meath podcast main Meath GAA official podcast, have said and there actual words are Eamon Fitzmaurice is strongly touted as being part of Colm O Rourkes management team as assistant manager and coach. And Donie Buckley also is coach as part of management team.

O Rourke does build big management teams. At Simontown he had management team of 20 plus individuals for that Meath senior club. So you would expect quite considerable big management team for Meath. O Rourke would not go in without top class coach's and assistant. He always stated in media you need a strong management team.He's a very smart individual, a born winners. He knows the underage talent is coming through also.

Post edited by Sonny678 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

An all Ireland **** hell lads steady on maybe find a coach that would make ye competitive with Clare and Cork first eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

what age are you??? you mite want to do some research on Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I think its a good move to bring O'Rourke in. He's well placed in terms of knowing players within the county between managing Simonstown and being involved in Pats. I think it will get supporters rowing in behind the team too, which is needed. As regards his full ticket, it will be interesting to see. Hand on heart I would be shocked to see Fitzmaurice come in. I actually seen someone post on social media they heard he was taking over in Pats from O'Rourke and getting involved in the coaching team with meath. I can't see it. Its a long way to come either commuting or for a job when you have a young family. He's also established himself as a very good co-commentator on the live games and that is a lot handier than being on a coaching ticket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Colm has managed Meath U21s and he's managed at club level very successfully with Simonstown (as well as with Pat's school and the International Rules).

I'm on the fence with the appointment. If I remember correctly, his stint with the U21s wasn't exactly a roaring success (though when has it ever been at that age group) but he will surely command the respect of the players. He also knows the club scene inside out so fingers crossed he finds some hidden gems.

Fair play to him for actually giving it a go. Very easy to sit on the sidelines with a cushy pundit job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Interesting comments from Bernard Flynn. With what looks like a stellar backroom team he had supporting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Yeah very poor form from Meath Country board not to at least ring the man first to tell them they had gone elsewhere he surely earned that little bit of respect? It did seem like quite the team he had put together alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah i had a tweet of his linked in my post but he seems to have deleted it.

• Advertisement

Looks like he deleted the tweet soon after it was posted. Fair play to you for spotting it because it was a small window.

It’s common manners in fairness to inform other candidates of the situation which doesn’t seem to have happened here. Could be hearsay however I have never heard a good word said about Flynn off anyone. Orourke is just on a completely different level and it’s not even a competition once colm showed any interest

By all accounts, Flynn and all other applicants were informed that they weren't successful prior to the announcement. They just weren't informed who was successful (as is obviously the case with every job application). I think Flynn is attempting to make a mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Mod Note:

@Sonny678 Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I am sure O'Rourke will guide Meath to the Hogan steps, for Tailteann Cup glory in 2024. I am sure Meath people are hoping he will be a Rory Gallagher style saviour.

Why. You are not moderator. I listen hammer and the other lads here. I am a Meath supporter, I don't insult or degrade anyone I haven't said anything bad anywhere. I have posted on boards ie for 15 years not one block not one issue. I have not Insulted one person in 15 years on boardsie. What your problem.

I am delighted with Colm and his fantastic brillant management team. What's wrong with that.

With the announcement of Colm and his brillant top class management team, hopefully the ladies can end a great week for Meath GAA.

And be also only second senior Meath team to win back to back All Ireland. So hard to do, but I think they are better team than kerry. This Meath team clearly is the best team in country. Mary Kate Lynch is best full back in Ireland, Emma Troy the best defender in the country. And McGurk is top class goalie. We have strong midfield and quality forwards and one of the best freetakers in ladies game Stacey Grimes. Vicki Wall was the best footballer in the country last year. But Emma Duggan really is the star, best young football in the country and if she continues she could become of the greatest lady footballers ever. Murray is turning into Sean Boylan of ladies football. To win 2 in a row would cemet their status as one great gaelic football teams to come out of Meath and one best ladies team of last 2 decades.

They're not a mod, correct. Disregard what they said.

• Advertisement

Bernard had a strong management team with Robbie Brennan, Stephen Rochford and according to Irish Independent Mick Dempsey Brian Cody's assistant manager for years also was part of the management team. But U20s was mess last year. Results even before he left were dreadful and how he has handled after Colm getting job, allot of people are not happy with. Colm is the best man for the job. And hopefully after Colm sucessful tenure we will have choice of Cathal O Bric after sucessful period with U20s or Kevin Reilly with more success with Trim or Brian Farrell or Barry Callaghan, one of them ready to take over. Colm gives us a chance to have a real sucession plan when he leaves. Thats sort of stability we need.

Advertisement