Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

That's how gaa managerial races go. Last 2 before Andy. First Sean Kelly looked like he was going to be manager than it was Graham Geraghty with John Evans and out of nowhere Mick O Dowd was appointed. In 2011 luke Dempsey was nearly appointed and Banty was at the last minute appointed. Recently Marty Morrisey was on RTE news saying Davy Fitzgerald was new Galway hurling manager, the next day Henry Shefflin was announced as Galway manager. Last year Davy Burke looked like he was going to be kildare manager and out of nowhere no one predicted or knew Glen Ryan with Rainbow Earley Doyle were announced as kildare manager.

That's how these things go. It'd called managerial race. And GAA managerial races have many twists and turns. Last time Andy was the only candidate, everyone agreed on. This time there is few candidates.

I have been very consistent constantly said McDermott Flynn and Fitzmaurice were in the running. With Flynn and Fitzmaurice the most likely two contenders. I have said that over and over and over again two leading candidates. All I said tonight there is rumour circulating about Barry Callaghan.

So to repeat myself again Flynn and Fitzmaurice are by all accounts the two main contenders. But tonight Barry Callaghan name is being mention. How is that mentioning everyone short of local stray dog. 3, I have only mentioned 3 consistently and now 1 update. That's all.

FACT Flynn has told everyone he has announced publicly he wants the job.

FACT McDermont was voted to contender by his club. How is that barstool stuff. They are facts 2 of three candidates are publicly known officially announced in the press. That's a fact.

Only one candidate have I mentioned consistently, just 1 who hasn't being mentioned publicly in national press. But that candidates there has huge noise and talk around the county in last 2 weeks about. I heard myself from someone in Upper echelons of Meath football that Eamon Fitzmaurice is in the running and has being interviewed. That's all thes candidate 3. With 2 publicly know how is that pub talk. When it is factual truth.

So what I said over and over again Flynn or Fitzmaurice are the main candidates but Callaghan name there is rumour tonight regards him. That's not every stray dog being mentioned for Meath job. Your criticism is unfair because I have been consistent in all messages. Constantly referencing two candidates. And just one update tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

I dunno. Look at the Cork hurlers. Manager steps down and a day later a new one is announced. That's how you do it.

You've claimed to have a source in the upper echelons of the Meath county board who had been giving you your information but it just seems to be more like barstool stuff.

And there is absolutely no offence meant. Its just how the posts come across to me and I apologise if I upset you at all as it was not my intention. You're a well respected poster.

That's fair enough. I accept your apology. I know I can be full on. And write in over long winding in many directions way. I am Meath GAA fanatic. And I think this is the most important decision for Meath football in a generation. We need to get this one right and get top class div 1 mmanager. That's just my opinion.

Regards Cork hurlers sometimes it's fast when you have 1 outstanding candidate in the county. So Pat Ryan new Cork hurling manager won 2 U21 All Ireland hurling titles in last 3 years. No surprise he's appointed with no fuss. Andy McEntee got Meath minors to All Ireland final and won All Ireland club title with Ballyboden. He is appointed straightway no fuss. When you have one outstanding candidate in the county they are the next manager. The way U21 All Ireland winning manager Jim Galvin took over from Pat Gilroy there was no fuss it was done quickly.

When you have no outstanding candidate in the county it becomes an open race, a managerial race with twists & turns. Ten years luke Dempsey was going to be Meath manager it was all lined up, but Meath county board had change of mind at the last moment and Banty was selected. There can be politics in the background jockeying for position twists and turns in managerial race especially one as wide open at the beginning like Meath have, especially when you have no one outstanding candidate in the county. And the county board have tried to keep out of national press. Flynn announced himself be wanted Meath job on GAA,legends tour in Croke Park he was main speaker, and Shane Cassells Meath politician senator was there and he tweeted Bernard was in the running for manager.

The GAA is a community where news seeps out you cannot keep something like this under the lid for weeks. But now we are on the verge of decision. And it's clear I would be delighted with Fitzmaurice. He's the manager I would like and I think would bd seen as outstanding appointment Meath nationwide a real coup and i think many fans would find inspiring choice. But with the Meath county board Who knows. I have great faith in Conor Donoghue on comminitee but what happened with Andy last Autumn when certain members of county board tried to remove him, there are other members you would have less faith in m. I think there is one outstanding choice. Anyway We will knoe soon enough. I wouldn't mentions any more updates or any other news I hear about. I will wait to when the official announcement is made public by the County board and I will comment again than.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If we're talking about left field candidates, what would Meath people think of the men poaching the ladies' manager? I know it's a step up but they seemed like a well coached outfit last year.

Almost certainly not a runner obviously but would be interested to know what local opinions are on him

It's a tricky one to predict. Kerry haven't beaten Dubs in championship in 13 years. And for kerry that's an eternity. This young kerry seemed to be heir to Dublins crown. Take over best teams in the country for a few years. But last years v Cork in 2020 and 202 Tryone they disappointed. But JOC is in there this year for one aim and one aim only, to bring Sam to kerry. Upfront huge firepower and 2 generational talent in O Shea and Clifford. Its at the back there is issue. Goalie also.

Look at kerry defenders of 00s Moyihan, Two O Ses, Mccarthy, Sullivan, O Mahony, Young, Brosnan and Fitzmaurice. That defence had 3 Footballer of the years eg Moyihan Marc O Se Tomas O Se. Kerrys current defence doesn't have one great defender at Footballer of the year level. And every great kerry team have all time great defender eg Sean Murphy in 50s 60 ( he was wing back on team of century and team of Milleniu) , John O keefe in 70s ( footballer of the year), Paudi O Se in 80s, Seamus Moyihan in 90s, Tomas and Marc O Se in 00s all 3 footballers og the year. Kerry don't have those defenders. They lack top class defenders say like McKeigue with Derry, even though Sullivan is good. Others have question marks. But they have brought in Tyrone 2003 All Ireland winning coach lally and defensively kerry are much stronger this year with a swarm defence. Kerrys last All Ireland in 2014 win was built on strong defence.

Dubs 1st 15 is the best in the country and probably better than keerys on paper. Dubs have better defender keery don't have defender as good as James Mccarthy or even John Small. There id still question mark v dubs as there have been since championship started. League was a shitshow for Dubs but they did have players missing. I think Dubs are less secure at the back now since Galvin left. They miss Cian Sullivan he was a great sweeper. U can isolate Dub defender one on one on inside line much easier now with Dessie Farrells Dublin than Jim Gavins Dublin. Look at the chances Jordan Morrris got v Dubs earlier this year. If David Clifford gets them chances he will bury them. It could come down to the two best forwards of their generation eg David Clifford & Con Callaghan. If Con Callaghan is missing Dublin are in trouble. There must be serious question mark over will be fit by Sunday. And James Mccarthy could be also missing. Many in Dublin thiink Mccarthy could be Dublins greatest player, they could be right. If Dubs are missing Con and Mccarthy that's their two best player. And when they missed early league Dubs were very beatable

Costello ie good but he is not Con good. Rock is aging, and kilkenny will have to take up scoring threat if Con is missing and could take away from his playmaker role on 40. Con is the best forward talent ever to come out of Dublin. He missed league, Dubs were flat. He returns Dubs return to their best. He gives an outlet Inside. He is strong direct and can win his own ball. He is big game player. If he is missing its advantage kerry. There could be issue regards Clifford fitness but I expect Clifford play but if he couldn't play coz of injury also huge massive blow for kerry.

Could be extra time even penos. You would expect big performance from Kerry. They have been waiting to get at Dubs in championship since 2019 final. Dubs u couldn't right them off with 6 All Ireland in 7 years. Cons fitness is massive he doesn't play and Clifford does it advantage kerry. Dubs would need huge game from Costello if Con missing and he is not at Clifford r Callaghan. Could we have cracking classic kerry v Dublin semi final like 1977 and 2013, time will tell.

• Advertisement

I will just answer this and leave it there. People have mentioned him. He is a Cavan man but his wife is Liam Harnans sister.

He has no interest in the Job whatsoever. He has stated before he would never manage any men's team. He doesn't like the physicality sledging etc in mens game. He has been managing ladies teams for 20 years with his club Boardsmill and Meath. He's a great club man. He turned down Meath ladies job 5 times when they asked him first but in the end he came in. He was U16 Meath manager when Meath won U16 All Ireland ladies title in 2009. He is a excellent manager and is kind of turning into Sean Boylan of Meath ladies football. Done remarkable job. Hopefully he stays for long time with ladies. He's irreplaceable.

His Strenght and Conditioning coach Eugene Evier who is from Donegal. And was part of Jimmy McGuinnes All Ireland winning management team in 2012, he was Jimmy McGuinnes strenght and Conditioning coach, he lives now in Meath in Boardmills Eamon Murrays parish. I think he could be leaving ladies management team this year, not certain of that. But he would be a good addition to any new Meath management senior mens team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

In fairness dobman, at this point in time it's just speculation at this stage and we should treat it as such. These discussion boards are often akin to discussions people would have in normal life. We have to trust that people have legit reasons or sources to justify the names.

I am also not surprised that there are a load of names because all of the primary candidates are ruled out for a variety of reasons. So, the net will be cast wider whith more names.

Barry Callaghan wold not be an inspired choice I agree, it could well be that he doesnt have any of the reasons other are not eligible and has had some experience.

Let's hope that he can get a good backroom team on board if it is Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Terry Hyland turned Cavan football around when he took over in 2012 (having worked with the U20s previous to that) but he would often say he did so by getting the right back room team in place. He was essentially the conductor to the orchestra.

There was alot of discussion on We Are Cavan recently about how Cavan are now moving back to our traditional way of football - Big men around the middle winning the ball and a more kicking game than other Ulster counties.

What would posters see as the traditional way of Meath playing and being successful? Do they need to appoint a man who can get Meath back to that? Again, that is where I think that Fitzmaurice will be at a disadvantage.

You can argue that he can bring in a support team from the county but he doesn’t live within an asses roar of Meath - a lot of outside managers at least come from an adjacent county/same province so they have some idea of the club game in the area.

Local Meath new website above mentions Bernard Flynn wants Eamon Fitzmaurice as coach. As it says Fitzmaurice is interested in the Meath managerial job. All the signs last 2 week it was between Flynn and Fitzmaurice. Doesn’t mean they will get it, but thats being talk. For last 3 weeks I have heard Fitzmaurice is interested in Meath job. The article says they heard Robbie Brennan is no longer part of Flynn’s management team. I personally have heard nothing about Flynn and Fitzmaurice management team together, but that both are interested in the job on their own. A new Meath sponsor supposedly will pay most cost of appointing someone like Fitzmaurice. Even if Meath go for internal manager, stay in the county the cost of his management team is pricey. All the interviews are done. You would have expected decision by now, maybe there was a hitch at start of week. Maybe Flynn and Fitzmaurice are going together like Dooher/Lohan or Declan Bonner with Stephen Rochford in Donegal. I have heard nothing about Flynn and Fitzmaurice together, but the above article mentions this. Thats very interesting at this stage. We should hear something tonight tomorrow or early next week. But I hope its Fitzmaurice on his own. For me that would be the best choice, but it is interesting the article says Flynn wants Fitzmaurice and him to work together. Watch this space.

Post edited by Sonny678 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Christ the ladies just don't know how to win big games without giving fans heart attacks. Three big surprises in the other quarter finals, glad there wasn't a fourth. This will be the first time since 2002 that neither Cork nor Dublin will contest the senior final. Donegal will be absolutely gunning for us after the league final.

Pictures of Jordan Morris on social media going to the Cavan game today with a blue and white flag draped around him. Will the club transfer become an intercounty one?

Andy McEntee to Antrim as reported by the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

What have Antrim done to deserve Andy

And, Eugene Eivers was A Donegal S&C coach in 2012. He did some work with the Donegal players based in Dublin, but he was not the main man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

That is a bit of a surprise can't see why Antrim would have gone for Andy .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Fergal Lynch Tweeted three days ago interviews for manager are still ongoing and John Kavanagh came off the selection committee due to being away etc. That suggests to me all names are speculation at the minute with only Bernie Flynn confirmed and I would suspect that he has let that be known himself. I would hope it is tied up by August so whoever gets it gets a good look at the club championship.

People were tweeting Flynn last week saying they hope he gets the Meath job and he was thanking them and saying he hoped he did too so he’s being quite open about it. A section of supporters are really rowing behind him. Has he managed before with success?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Not to my knowledge and that to me is a big concern. I really think if he gets it it sets things back years, sure its a popular choice but I think it is time to go with experience. At the time I was all for Andy getting the job as he had a good track record between the minors and Ballyboden. He hadn't managed senior intercounty but had the base work done. I'm happy to be contradicted but I don't believe Flynn has managed even at senior club level and it will all end in tears with those championing him now on social media slating him in when things go awry. Next year is going to be a tough year as you said already with Dublin and Derry in Division 2 and Leinster being Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭This is it

Christ that's serious heat to be playing in. Great win for the ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

They seem to have a great spirit that team.

I don't watch much of the Ladies GAA. Question are they rules different with being allowed picked the ball off the ground?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Great second half after an abysmal first half. Two quick points followed by 3 playing with one player less. Another excellent performance by Emma Duggan. Though we definitely rode our luck at times. Not sure how that high ball fumbled by Monica McGuirk managed to stay out.

Referee was baffling at times, especially when it came to charging offences. He seemed to flip a coin each time to decide which way to award the free. And to be fair, I've no idea how our last free out was given. To me it was 100% a Donegal free.

You're allowed pick up the ball without putting your foot under it but only if you're on your feet. You're not allowed pick it up of you're on the ground. I think you are able to flick the ball away on the ground but not sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

just heard this now also. Looks like its true. I thought O'Rourke had no interest?? I dont know if this is a good choice tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭This is it

Saw it in the Meath GAA FB page, was surprised

He said he’d been turned down 2/3 times previously so saw little point in applying this time. It was a bit of a come and get me if you want me plea if you ask me.

He’s certainly had more managerial success than Bernard Flynn anyway and ticks a box as now they may be overlooking a fan favourite but are doing so with another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

A bit suprised Colm taking the gig proved me wrong thinking he might not want to blot his record a bit with a fairly big task ahead which would most likely take a couple of years to get Meath up to standard .He is a Meath great but sports fans are very fickle and turn very quickly as plenty have found out over the years .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Well that came out of nowhere you won't find a more died in the wool Meath man. Fair play to him for taking it and walking the walk.

• Advertisement

Advertisement