Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Said to see Eamonn go, it was probably coming though. He's 6 years in the job and from what I hear he's self employed. It must have been some ask keeping all them balls in the air. For what he's done in his time for me he's up there with Seán Boylan. And like Seán you could listen to Eamonn all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Jordan Morris not having the best of starts in Cavan gents. One of the comments sent into We Are Cavan this week was “Jordan Muldoon to Kingscourt is the worst return of a player since Pogba went back to United”.

He has bagged a couple of goals over the 3 games to date but most teams are putting their best back on him to man mark him and he’s finding it hard to shake them off. You would expect an intercounty player like him to have the edge on club footballers though.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭poppers

Jordan Muldoon plays for kells. J. Morris went back to Kingscourt

You are correct. Edit done.

I won't say Nobber don't miss him, as he'd add to any team especially at inter, but Sean Meade is certainly making up for Jordy's absence with his displays. They got thru the group with a game to spare too when I think many expected them to be scrapping at the other end of the table.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I don't exactly know much about Cavan Senior Football. Would Kingscourt be poor? If I remember correctly, Morris didn't exactly set the world alight when Nobber were in the Meath SFC in 2020. Seán Meade was the main scorer for them that year if I remember correctly. It can be difficult for a decent forward to stand out in an otherwise limited side.

Having said that, I see he scored two of Kingscourt's three goals in their most recent championship match so not really sure what more the lad can do.

Kingscourt brought the county final to a replay in 2020 and lost a semi final last year.

Kingscourt only scored one goal in their last championship game. In the game before that, they scored three goals but he only scored one and did very little other than that.

How poor was group B in the senior championship? I know Trim can only beat what's in front of them and Moynalvey were already through, but Trim have won all three games by an average of 17 points each. Will be interesting to see who they draw in the quarter final and how they perform under a but of pressure. Pretty sure all the group winners would be hoping for Moynalvey in the quarter finals. Wouldn't be surprised to see Curraha and NOM in the relegation final.

Dunderry went through with Nobber in the Intermediate group B. As expected, Bective were no match for Dunshaughlin so the latter and St. Pat's are through from group C. Blackhall Gaels recovered from only scoring a point in their last game to beat Kilmainham to send them to the relegation playoff.

Quarter final draws tomorrow too which is a novelty in itself, normally they are predetermined from the outset. Delighted out lads got a quarter final this year. In fairness we probably got lucky with the group but between Senior and since coming down this is the first time in a good few years we haven't been in relegation playoffs. I think that's progress in itself.

Dunboyne finish bottom of the group after being hammered by Ballinabrackey. Think the county board need to rethink the bottom two in each group going into the relegation playoffs. I'd wonder how much effort the likes of Simonstown and Dunboyne put into their last group games knowing that they were guaranteed to be in the relegation playoffs regardless. Simonstown haven't won a group game in the past two seasons but probably won't get anywhere close to being relegated.

Dunshaughlin look like they're strolling to the Intermediate championship. Seems like the only thing that could beat them is over confidence.

• Advertisement

If they want to keep it how it is I think the SFC needs to be jigged around a bit. If the first round is drawn and the second is held over until after the first round then you pair the two winning teams for round 2. Granted one team could win two in a row but in that instance you have possibly one team on 4 two on 2 and one on 0 going into the last round. I haven't thought as far as a draw in round 1 though. 😁

SFC Quarter Finals

Wolfe Tones v Gaeil Colmcille

Trim v Na Fianna

Summerhill v Skryne

Ratoath v Moynalvey

SFC Semi Finals

Wolfe Tones/Gaeil Colmcille v Summerhill/Skryne

Trim/Na Fianna v Ratoath/Moynalvey

SFC Relegation Quarter Finals

St. Colmcille's v Curraha

Navan O'Mahony's v St. Peter's Dunboyne

Donaghmore/Ashbourne v Seneschalstown

Ballinabrackey v Simonstown Gaels

SFC Relegation Semi Finals

Don-Ashbourne/Seneschalstown v St. Colmcille's/Curraha

Ballinabrackey/Simonstown v Navan O'Mahony's/St. Peter's Dunboyne

IFC Quarter Finals

Nobber v Walterstown

Oldcastle v Dunderry

Duleek/Bellewstown v St. Patrick's

Dunshaughlin v Rathkenny

IFC Semi Finals

Dunshaughlin/Rathkenny v Nobber/Walterstown

Duleek-Bellewstown/St. Pat's v Oldcastle/Dunderry

IFC Relegation Playoffs

Clann na nGael v Kilmainham

Drumbaragh v St. Vincent's

The winners of the IFC relegation playoffs will play off in a final and the losers of all three games will be relegated.

Incredible draw to be honest, Wolfe Tones v Kells and Rathkenny v Dunshaughlin the pick of the two I think. Also you can't beat a local derby in knock out football, looking forward to us v Duleek.

Na Fianna are the first team through to the senior semi finals, beating Trim by 3 points. Curraha are surprisingly safe at the first time of asking, beating Cilles by 3. Colmcille's have been so disappointing since coming up from Intermediate. I know it can be tough to get up to speed but they've never really threatened past the quarter finals and now they're in serious trouble.

Dunshaughlin were given a huge scare by Rathkenny before coming through by 3 points. You'd think that this game will bring them on a huge amount. They'll play Nobber who were 9 down to Walterstown at half time and were still 7 down with 6 minutes to go but scored 3 goals in that time to win by one. Duleek/Bellewstown came through against Pat's after a penalty shootout last night.

Kilmainham are down to Junior after losing their relegation playoff to Clann na nGael.

Summerhill steamrolled Skryne in the second half, outscoring them 2-11 to 3 points having only led by 3 at half time. Think they'll be a good shout to win it outright. Tones showed why they're champions. They were a man down and three points down at half time but somehow managed to prevail by 2. And Ratoath accounted for Moynalvey with not much fuss.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne were briefly in trouble early in the second half against Seneschalstown and were only 1 up, but ended up winning by 8 to comfortably survive. Simonstown needed penalties to beat Ballinabrackey while Dunboyne's goals helped beat O'Mahonys by 7.

Three of the four teams that finished bottom of the group won their relegation quarter final. Would wonder whether there's really any need to have the bottom two teams in each group go into the relegation playoffs.

Semi finals and relegation semi finals are as follows:

Summerhill v Wolfe Tones

Ratoath v Na Fianna

Seneschalstown v St. Colmcille's

Ballinabrackey v Navan O'Mahonys

In the IFC, Dunderry surprised Oldcastle to make the semi final against Duleek/Bellewstown. St. Vincent's went straight back to Junior after losing to Drumbaragh. Drumbaragh now face Clann na nGael with the loser also being relegated.

Repeat of the 2020 hurling final (played last year). Ratoath came out of nowhere to dump Kiltale out of the championship 3-16 to 3-11 (and Kiltale's final two goals came in added time). Ratoath were big favourites last year and missed out so I'm hoping roles will be reversed this time.

Charlie Ennis, by all accounts, had one of the great goalkeeping performances against Kildalkey.

Cilles and Ballinabrackey safe. Cilles needed an equalising point in the fifth minute of injury time to bring the game to extra time but had too much for Seneschalstown after. Ballinabrackey easily saw off O'Mahonys. Can't see Navan surviving this time. They don't seem to have the forwards to make an impact. And I can't see them having everything easy in intermediate either.

Two very one sided wins in the Intermediate semis with Dunshaughlin and Duleek/Bellewstown through to the final.

Dunsany in yet another junior final after a surprisingly massive 21 point win against Ballinlough who won their group. This will be Dunsany's 7th junior final since 2002.

The senior final should be a cracker, Ratoath and Summerhill have been flying all championship. Slane and St. Brigids into the junior b final too.

Two best teams in Meath by far this season. Summerhill's defence has been exceptional in not conceding a goal so it'll be a fascinating final. In 2019, Summerhill were probably naive in that they went very attacking and just left themselves open at the back and the game was pretty much over at half time. Would be amazed if its anywhere close to as high scoring. Think Summerhill will defend in numbers and look to pick Ratoath off on the break. They came close to doing that last season and they seem to be a far better side this season.

Trim hurling champions again. The goal in the first half was a killer, we were well in it against the elements until then.

Think this was our last half decent chance of a hurling championship. Trim will continue to get better and better as their talented underage players come through.

Fingers crossed we can pick ourselves up for the football final next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

New GAA club proposed for east Meath to rival the Cilles. Wonder about the feasibility of it or even where they would play.

Had heard rumblings of that alright. To be fair, it's a massive area and population for just one club to cater for. If what they're saying about the population size is true, then it would be the biggest club in terms of the population of the surrounding area in the county.

Navan O'Mahonys going down with a whimper. Only 20 minutes gone in their relegation playoff and Seneschalstown are already 15 points ahead (4-4 to a solitary point).

Edit: Bananas game. 4-5 to 2-3 at half time and Seneschalstown down to 14 men. Sliver of hope for NOM now.

Crazy game. NOM relegated to Intermediate but Seneschalstown did everything possible to keep them in Senior, finishing the game with 12 men but winning in the end by 4-9 to 3-7.

Massive fall from grace for O'Mahonys having last won the Keegan Cup as recently as 2015. I would be surprised if they come straight back up next year.

You can't help but feel sorry for Dunsany. 7 junior finals in 20 years and 7 losses.

St. Brigid's easily won the Junior B final against Slane.

As expected, Dunshaughlin go straight back up to Senior after an easy 10 point win against Duleek/Bellewstown in the final. You'd expect that they should have enough quality to win Leinster as well.

Flew under my radar, but we've been drawn against either Offaly or Longford in the Leinster Quarter Final and, if we win that, it'll be Louth or Westmeath in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Champions again! Mad finish with both David Brady and Conor Gillespie sent off late on after handbags on the sideline.

Tough on Summerhill with another final loss but they've been exceptional this season having gone through the entire championship without conceding a goal.

Hopefully we can give Leinster a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Congrats. Best of luck in Leinster. Hard luck to Summerhill.

Advertisement