Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Has there been any news on a possible appeal to Morris' and Flynn's reds? I'm not sure how the GAA can stand over Morris' red card given that it was a shove in the chest.

Jordan Morris' appeal was supposedly successful and will be free to play against Clare. Jack Flynn's red card was upheld which I suppose is the correct decision, though it's amazing how certain teams' players can throw punches at each other and get off while other players can leave players in hospital and not get banned. The GAA's disciplinary system is an utter joke.

Honestly no wonder Vikki Wall is going to Australia the way the referee's have been. Clearly taken down off the ball and she ends up with a yellow. A big increase in the cynicism from Dublin by the looks of it today and they've been rewarded for it.

Dublin conceded 28 frees today, Meath conceded 10. Meath received 2 yellows, Dublin none.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

That looks terrible to be fair. I don't buy this thing of more fouls from one team meaning more cards. Its possible to spread the fouls or for them to be of a type that don't warrant cards. Not saying its right but it is a possibility.

• Advertisement

Yet another utterly dreadful performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

First point after 18 minutes playing with the wind- enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭This is it

Horrific.

No score for the first 18 minutes and no score for the final 17 minutes. It just sums up the last few years. Were it not for Harry in goals we would have lost by a hell of a lot more. Three excellent saves from him.

That should be it for McEntee. I just hope the county board get the finger out and get someone in quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hardluck Meath. Trained hard all year. All the best players aren't committing but who can blame them. Don't worry the GAA will come up with an emergency multi million financial package and all will be rosy in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I was wondering also what players that are known to be the best and are not committing.

there are, of course, players that people think should be on the panel but not included. However, that can happen and these players are unproven.

Did Andy give an interview afterwards? Surely he will step down officially in the next few days. If he doesn’t the county board need to pre-empt things and formally bring it to an end and then get moving with whatever process they have to identify a short list for a new manager.

A management team should be in place in advance of the club championships. Especially impotent in this instance as we seem to be dealing with a broken squad.

A new manager in quickly could also speak to some of the more senior players such as Keoghan / Menton / Harnan in case they are considering retiring.

The body language was all wrong from the start yesterday I thought. After the warm up the lads were taking off the bibs etc and it just looked like they weren't up for it at all. Would've been a travesty to sneak it, and we could have. Clare missed some scores in the second half apart from the three great saves Harry Hogan made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

Clare could as easily won by 12 instead of 2 only for Hogans saves and dreadful wides from them. Watched mayo Monaghan beforehand n either of them would have put up a cricket score.

When I saw the forwards starting yesterday and who was left on the bench I assumed Menton or Hogan would be our top scorer. Not to be Conor McGill was instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

very accurate , , the sunday game was kind to clare tonight we were pretty poor at times last night in all areas and still got away with it

lads this is not mcintees fault its a county board issue at this stage , ye have gone from being a free flowing football team to playing 15 men behind the ball with a gale force wind , the only forward i could endorse is cillian o'sullivan , mcgill is good morris is a talent but playing off the shoulder football dose not suite them , it suits o'sullivan , he should be the benchmark of meath forwards going forward , meath in the catch and kick days of Gaelic football were the best around but they are really struggling with the modern game and that's from coaching rather then management

Having attended Meath club games, I have to say I feel the elephant in the room is that McEntee isn't the main problem. I just don't think the players are there. Albeit I have only been to Meath senior club championship games but I wouldn't see the level as very high. Strength and conditioning of club players in Meath seems to be way below that of players in other counties, certainly the Ulster counties anyway. Being from Cavan, local clubs would play alot of challenges against teams from both Meath and Monaghan and you would hear players state that Monaghan are way above their Leinster counterparts. I've also taken Meath people to Cavan club games and they've been shocked how willing Cavan club players are to bring the ball into contact - that's because they have the conditioning to do so, conditioning that I don't think is there in Meath.

Facilities in Meath are also way behind at club level. The professional S&C coach Cavan have, Andre Quinn, is overseeing each club getting a decent functioning gym for each club, its players and patrons with the help of the county panel. Alot of Meath clubs don't even have a stand and don't even get me started on Park Tailteann.

In fairness while we deserved to lose I don't think by 12 would have been fair. We we're denied a stone wall penalty, Clare went up the pitch and won a penalty themselves. So not only were we denied a chance of a goal but Harry Hogan should never had to save their penalty chance. Regardless we lost deservedly so it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I presume you’re all delighted this evening now that Andy is gone.

Jesus wept

Marvelous reply well done 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Nobody is delighted he's gone, because nobody was under the impression he'd be staying

Since the 2nd game of the league the discussion in Meath has concerned who will replace McEntee since we were clearly going to win nothing, and this was going to be McEntee's last year.

I'm glad that the matter was settled quickly but no one's delighted he's gone. McEntee deserves credit for getting us back to division 1 in 2019, somewhere no manager had managed to get us since the league returned to divisions 1-4 along with making the last 8 in the championship. But unfortunately, it's fizzled out very quickly. He probably should have gone last year but the vote was done far too late. This season reminded me of Mick O'Dowd's last season in that the players just seemed to have checked out towards the end.

Honestly not a clue who is going to be brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Lads with all the cribbing done by McEntees son this week does anyone else see the irony in him giving out about his father getting abuse? Now let me be clear. It shouldnt happen. Ever.

But McEntee regularly confronted referees in an aggressive intimidating manner. He accused without any basis a kildare player of spitting.

Now it seems to me these days that any criticism of a GAA player or manager and the default for them is to cry personal abuse.

No player or anyone for that matter should be subject to malicious stuff but i think its a lesson for Andy and many more. Show oppossing players and officials the kind of respect you want to be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Inevitably inflation has pretty much sunk Pairc Tailteann’s redevelopment for the foreseeable future. I can’t really see a way in which this project can be delivered without a serious handout from somewhere. Unless they could sell the site and O’Mahoneys As a zoned block of land. Would they get €25m for it on a good day? Then move to council piece of land somewhere else in central Navan and build the new stadium and a few pitches/4g pitches and clubhouse for O’Mahoneys. Just spitballing ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

That's a great idea. Probaly best proposal I have heard by anyone. I hope you don't mind me saying but is there anyway you could send that idea to county board. I have in the past dm county board members with ideas they have answered back and said they will forward it on. I don't know if they did. But your idea is a brillant idea. It could be answer to the whole Pairc Tailteann. Dubs sold land in recent years and are going to use the funds from land sale. We have assets in the county worth a fortune. Selling land and building new Pairc Tailtean, your proposal with O Mahonys is the best one I have heard. I would encourage you to send it to the county board. I hope you don't mind me asking. But out one person great idea could solve the Pairc Tailtean problem. I think its a great idea that could be the answer.

• Advertisement

I don't want to sound negative on what is a constructive idea, but. The County Development plan for five years only got finalised at the end of last year. I would imagine that whole block of land is zoned recreational and there would be some serious work needed to be done to persuade the Council into a variation of the plan. Also would O'Mahony's not own their bit and the county board the Pairc? O'Mahonys won't move lock stock out to the Trim Road as they only have two pitches and no clubhouse, I would say that ground is an addition to Paddy O'Brien park instead of a substitute. So you would need to find a lump of land big enough for a county ground and also two or three "back pitches" for O'Mahonys.

Advertisement