Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Obrieski wrote: »
    About time we won that Junior C in all reality. When you look at Donaghmore, and now Dunboyne having their second teams playing Intermediate, it shows the importance of having a strong second team for the senior clubs. Junior C was far too low a grade for the Ratoath 2nd team and a lot of those players should be aiming to be on the senior panel next year. Hopefully the D's can complete a double next week although it will be a tough ask having been decimated by losing players over the year.
    Sort of made a balls of the second team for a while. It was only 7 years ago that we were in the Junior B final with the second team. The second team seems to have held on to most of their players this ear which wasn't the case last year.

Here are the Meath teams' fate in their respective Leinster championships:

Leinster senior club football championship
    Wexford champions (Killanerin or Shelmaliers) v Dunboyne/Summerhill
    Win that and they're up against the Dublin champions in the quarter final

Leinster Intermediate club hurling championship
    Wexford Intermediate champions (St. Martins or Naomh Eanna) v Kiltale
    Winner of that plays the KK Intermediate champions in the semi final

Leinster Intermediate club football championship
    Louth champions (St. Fechin's or St. Mochta's) v Longwood
    Winner plays Courtwood of Laois in the quarter final.

Leinster Junior club hurling championship
    Clara (Offaly) v Na Fianna.
    Tough one as Clara are Offaly Intermediate champions, but if they win that they'll be against the Westmeath Intermediate champions.

Leinster Junior club football championship
    Offaly champions (St. Brigid's or Ferbane) v St. Vincent's
    Winner of that plays the Dublin champions or the European representatives in the quarter final.

One thing that stands out is that none of the Meath representatives have a single home game to start off.
    You'd expect that the senior champions can get past their first game but can't see them having enough for the Dublin champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Sort of made a balls of the second team for a while. It was only 7 years ago that we were in the Junior B final with the second team. The second team seems to have held on to most of their players this ear which wasn't the case last year.

Here are the Meath teams' fate in their respective Leinster championships:

Leinster senior club football championship
    Wexford champions (Killanerin or Shelmaliers) v Dunboyne/Summerhill
    Win that and they're up against the Dublin champions in the quarter final

Leinster Intermediate club hurling championship
    Wexford Intermediate champions (St. Martins or Naomh Eanna) v Kiltale
    Winner of that plays the KK Intermediate champions in the semi final

Leinster Intermediate club football championship
    Louth champions (St. Fechin's or St. Mochta's) v Longwood
    Winner plays Courtwood of Laois in the quarter final.

Leinster Junior club hurling championship
    Clara (Offaly) v Na Fianna.
    Tough one as Clara are Offaly Intermediate champions, but if they win that they'll be against the Westmeath Intermediate champions.

Leinster Junior club football championship
    Offaly champions (St. Brigid's or Ferbane) v St. Vincent's
    Winner of that plays the Dublin champions or the European representatives in the quarter final.

One thing that stands out is that none of the Meath representatives have a single home game to start off.
    You'd expect that the senior champions can get past their first game but can't see them having enough for the Dublin champions.

Don't ask me how I remember, but St. Mochta's were the team Longwood beat in 2009 to win the Leinster Junior Club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Any idea how the ticket sales are going? I know at the start they had a league table kind thing of how many people had bought tickets from different clubs, but haven't see anything of late. I see Glenveagh were in the paper yesterday doing quite well so hopefully they hand over the houses for free! :pac:
    Presumably nobody has an insight or update on this? Was there any mention of how ticket sales are going at the recent county board meeting?  First draw is coming up quite sharpish, would be nice to know how much the people of Meath are buying into it. I note a lot of the clubs are posting things on social media constantly so presumably that's a direct order from the county board...good to have as much exposure to it as possible in any event...I for one can't wait to get the keys to my new house!:D

rpurfield wrote: »
    If anyone has the Meath Chronicle book that came out for their 100th or 125th anniversary the whole Flathouse thing is in that. I remember asking the father about it at the time and he said they were a hardy bunch.
    Dug it out of the attic and found it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Dug it out of the attic and found it

Jesus christ that sounds rough.

• Advertisement

Offaly in the preliminary round next season. Winner of that plays Carlow with Westmeath/Laois waiting in the semi final.
    We should be able to make a Leinster final. Knowing us, we won't make it past Offaly.

Hurlers in the tougher of the two Christy Ring groups with Kildare, London and Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Offaly in the preliminary round next season. Winner of that plays Carlow with Westmeath/Laois waiting in the semi final.
    We should be able to make a Leinster final. Knowing us, we won't make it past Offaly.

Hurlers in the tougher of the two Christy Ring groups with Kildare, London and Roscommon.

Looks a kind draw for us alright, but not sure how far we get, a leinster final is long way off these days, depends how many new players we can get in and more importantly how many of the current players we can keep around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

That draw isn't too bad. Am I right in thinking Pairc Tailteann is having work start after the league? Are we into a summer of away games

That draw isn't too bad. Am I right in thinking Pairc Tailteann is having work start after the league? Are we into a summer of away games
    Was the talk not that the Tyrone match was to be the last home game until the new stadium? On that basis, might not even have it for the league!

Congrats to Dunboyne.

• Advertisement

Some achievement for Dave Gallagher...3 senior titles from 3 different decades!
    Congrats to Dunboyne

Fair play to Dunboyne, missed the match but they've been really decent this year. Hopefully they can get a run in Leinster now, we could do with a good club run in Leinster. Just on a Dunboyne related note I'm not sure if ye have seen that there is a fundraiser for Sean Cox who was attacked in Liverpool. This is the link if anyone is interested, https://www.gofundme.com/SupportSeanCox

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Longwood win the IFC, don't think anyone saw that coming...

Mickey Burke now has Junior B, Junior and Intermediate medals with Longwood's first team.
    Tell anybody you know from Longwood to watch out. St Mochtas are coming for them and gunning for revenge for the great robbery of 2009 in the Leinster Junior Championship. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Some achievement for Dave Gallagher...3 senior titles from 3 different decades!
    Congrats to Dunboyne

And in 3 different positions according to Rory Stories on Twitter. Some going

Pighead wrote: »
    Tell anybody you know from Longwood to watch out. St Mochtas are coming for them and gunning for revenge for the great robbery of 2009 in the Leinster Junior Championship. :cool:
    Well it's refreshing to hear a Louth man go on about a different Leinster final "robbery" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Well it's refreshing to hear a Louth man go on about a different Leinster final "robbery" :pac:
    Absolutely no need for the inverted commas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

what was this great robbery you speak of ?

The much talked about fundraising match between Ratoath U7s and Magheracloone U7s will take place this Saturday in Seán Eiffe Park, Ratoath at 1:30pm. At 3pm afterwards, Ratoath over 35s will play their Magheracloone counterparts.

Any idea how the ticket sales are going? I know at the start they had a league table kind thing of how many people had bought tickets from different clubs, but haven't see anything of late. I see Glenveagh were in the paper yesterday doing quite well so hopefully they hand over the houses for free! :pac:
    Presumably nobody has an insight or update on this? Was there any mention of how ticket sales are going at the recent county board meeting?  First draw is coming up quite sharpish, would be nice to know how much the people of Meath are buying into it. I note a lot of the clubs are posting things on social media constantly so presumably that's a direct order from the county board...good to have as much exposure to it as possible in any event...I for one can't wait to get the keys to my new house!:D
    Hope this works, but Meath GAA posted this on Facebook.
    Hopefully the number of tickets being sold is sufficient, can't really tell from the graphic but hopefully the inter club rivalry might push a few extra sales!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=463984

Not sure how it's going countywide, but I bought mine from Ratoath and was told that they were selling a huge amount of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Hector is on the Late Late now.

Not sure how it's going countywide, but I bought mine from Ratoath and was told that they were selling a huge amount of them.

Apparently our club has put a couple of them into our weekly lotto instead of the regular lucky dip prizes, which I'm scratching my head at to be honest.

Apparently our club has put a couple of them into our weekly lotto instead of the regular lucky dip prizes, which I'm scratching my head at to be honest.
    That's a strange one alright, presumably the lotto sale proceeds go towards the house draw so people pay a couple of euro rather than the 100 and if you come out in the draw the ticket is yours?

That's a strange one alright, presumably the lotto sale proceeds go towards the house draw so people pay a couple of euro rather than the 100 and if you come out in the draw the ticket is yours?

Presume so. On a lighter note the club has organised a trip to Dundalk next month to Greyhound racing as a fundraiser, seems a decent night €40 gets you the bus, admission a racecard, music and grub. But it's drawn the ire of the online anti Greyhound racing brigade locally, they're urging a boycott of it. :D

Presume so. On a lighter note the club has organised a trip to Dundalk next month to Greyhound racing as a fundraiser, seems a decent night €40 gets you the bus, admission a racecard, music and grub. But it's drawn the ire of the online anti Greyhound racing brigade locally, they're urging a boycott of it. :D

You can never win RP :D

Last adult championship titles were won yesterday. Rathmolyon beat Clann na nGael 3-5 to 0-9 in the Junior 2 Hurling Championship final.
    Ballivor easily beat Ratoath in the Junior D football championship final by 2-19 to 1-8.

Not to bring the whole North/South Meath thing in here, but Ballivor are the most northerly team to win an adult football championship this year.

Na Fianna had a great win in the Leinster JHC away to the Offaly Intermediate hurling representatives Clara. They seem to have won quite comfortably in the end 3-19 to 3-12. They'll play Crookedwood of Westmeath at home in the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

offaly inter representatives , 3rd tier, but a good scalp non the less , could make final in that

i see offaly senior b champs are in the inter competition for the first time i can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Naomh Éanna, who Kiltale beat in the 2015 Leinster intermediate championship are now senior champions in Wexford. Bennetsbridge, who beat Kiltale by 4 points in the final that year, are in the Kilkenny senior final next weekend.

Teams can change a bit in 3 years, but still an indication of the quality of Kiltale at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Does anyone have any idea what the format of the Brendan Davis cup is meant to be? So far it made sense with the teams knocked out in the senior + inter championship group stages playing each other, with the winners of those games playing the losing quarter finalists, and the winners of those games playing the losing semi finalists etc.

But it seems to just go haywire after that. Ratoath and Kildalkey both exited the championship at the same round, but Kildalkey only played 2 games to get to the final while Ratoath would have to play 3 matches to reach the final, assuming they won them all. I'm not usually one for the "Kildalkey get all the breaks" line, but that's ridiculous.

It's also a bit suspicious how Kildalkey's path to reach the final was a fairly handy one vs. Rathmolyon and Navan, yet Ratoath "drew" Blackhall Gaels, Kilmessan and if they win that, Trim. A far harder path by any measure.

Also Gaeil Colmcille, Na Fianna and Kiltale all appear not to even take part. I'm aware it's a third rate competition and most players I know wanted to lose ASAP, but at least it could be transparently organised rather than being treated as the property of Kildalkey, just because that's where Davis was from.

• Advertisement

paul0103 wrote: »
    Naomh Éanna, who Kiltale beat in the 2015 Leinster intermediate championship are now senior champions in Wexford. Bennetsbridge, who beat Kiltale by 4 points in the final that year, are in the Kilkenny senior final next weekend.

Teams can change a bit in 3 years, but still an indication of the quality of Kiltale at the time.
    Oylegate-Glenbrien were in the Wexford semis this year too. If I remember correctly, Kiltale beat them out the gate in Leinster a few years back.
    If Kiltale can get over the Kilkenny side in a given year, I do think they could win the All Ireland. I think that would mean that the Meath champions would get to play in the SHC the next time round.

Advertisement