Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Senior hurling semi finals this weekend. Can't see anything but another Kiltale v Kildalkey final unfortunately.

Good first half by Trim. 2 up. Were 4 up at one stage before Kildalkey hit 3 unanswered. Looking to be a great second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

1-12 0-09 great win for Trim.
    2nd half was nip and tuck with Trim keeping nose in front. Goal in 18th min of 2nd half opened a 5 point lead and never looked back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Congrats Dave. That's a fantastic result! Keeping Kildalkey to 9 points is some going.
    Hoping to follow ye tomorrow and have a unique final. Think Kiltale are peaking at the right time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

iDave wrote: »
    1-12 0-09 great win for Trim.
    2nd half was nip and tuck with Trim keeping nose in front. Goal in 18th min of 2nd half opened a 5 point lead and never looked back!

Fantastic result. Alan Douglas is a class act.

Defence were supreme in the second half, as the game went on Kildalkey got fewer and fewer opportunities up front.

No second shock of the weekend. Kiltale seemed to come roaring out of the blocks in the first half. It was 2-6 to 2 after just 10 minutes.
    Na Fianna will play Kells in the IHC final. Na Fianna have been knocking on the door at Intermediate for a while so they should have enough for Kells.

Shock in Junior B. Slane beat Kilbride 2-8 to 10 points in the semi final. Kilbride beat them by 14 in the group stages.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the Clubs Disbanding thread and Crab mentioned Killallon briefly reforming back in the 2000s before disbanding. Can anyone remember any other Meath club that has disbanded recently? I know Flathouse were basically forced to disband in the 70s but have there been any other clubs that have disbanded in the years between Flathouse and Killallon? I know there have been amalgamations but can't remember any clubs totally disbanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

what areas where they from?

Killallon were right on the Westmeath border around Kilskyre.
    Flathouse are now St. Pauls. By all accounts they were an absolutely filthy team back in the day and got suspended for a few years which forced them to fold and reform as St. Paul's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I know Rathcairn joined with Athboy to form Clann na nGael but I come from that neck of the woods and in reality Rathcairn were finished, they were in debt and were still needing lads in their early 40s to tog out.

What were Rath Cairn's colours again? I think I remember playing them when I was very young.

Ultan's relegated to Junior after a three point defeat to Castletown. Both Castletown and Kilmainham survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

If anyone has the Meath Chronicle book that came out for their 100th or 125th anniversary the whole Flathouse thing is in that. I remember asking the father about it at the time and he said they were a hardy bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jimmy1672

Just looking at the Clubs Disbanding thread and Crab mentioned Killallon briefly reforming back in the 2000s before disbanding. Can anyone remember any other Meath club that has disbanded recently? I know Flathouse were basically forced to disband in the 70s but have there been any other clubs that have disbanded in the years between Flathouse and Killallon? I know there have been amalgamations but can't remember any clubs totally disbanding.

Drumree, Rathmolyon and Kildalkey all disbanded their football teams in recent years but the clubs themselves haven't disappeared as they all still play hurling.

I'd imagine a greater attempt would have been made to keep these teams going if they were football only clubs...

When did Kildalkey and Rathmolyon last field in football? Can't remember either of them having a football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jimmy1672

When did Kildalkey and Rathmolyon last field in football? Can't remember either of them having a football team.

Not sure of the exact year for Kildalkey but they did play in the JFC in 2008
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2008/04/26/24066-gaa-fixtures-260408

It looks like the football side of Rathmolyon actually amalgamated with Na Fianna in 2000. I thought they stopped playing football much later than this but maybe I am just getting old :o
    http://www.nafianna.ie/index.asp?PTYPE=PAGE&ID=169

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭doseire

Robinstown are another club who died out.

Ah I actually seem to remember there being some controversy between Ballivor and Kildalkey when they reformed their football side and which players would play for which club.
    Looking at the various championships' rolls of honour, where were Harps and St. John's from? They won the IFC in 1985 and 1974 respectively.

County Board showing their contempt for the lower junior grades by playing the Junior D final on a Thursday night in Dunganny.
    They've fixed the Junior C final for a Sunday morning at 11:30 in Paddy O'Brien park with Páirc Tailteann empty next door. To make it worse, Ratoath are due to play the Junior hurling final less than 24 hours beforehand and I know there's a few players on both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

St. Johns were one of the clubs who merge to form Wolfe Tones IIRC (not that I was alive at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Ah I actually seem to remember there being some controversy between Ballivor and Kildalkey when they reformed their football side and which players would play for which club.
    Looking at the various championships' rolls of honour, where were Harps and St. John's from? They won the IFC in 1985 and 1974 respectively.

County Board showing their contempt for the lower junior grades by playing the Junior D final on a Thursday night in Dunganny.
    They've fixed the Junior C final for a Sunday morning at 11:30 in Paddy O'Brien park with Páirc Tailteann empty next door. To make it worse, Ratoath are due to play the Junior hurling final less than 24 hours beforehand and I know there's a few players on both teams.

Martin Doran was a big loss at the time to Ballivor when he went playing football for Kildalkey as well as few others alright.
    The status quo should have been left alone, Kildalkey forming a football team was a disaster all round. It used to be any lads from Kildalkey and Killyon who wanted to play football joined Ballivor and any lads from Ballivor who wanted to play hurling joined either Kildalkey or Killyon depending on which side of the village you lived.

Good day for Dunboyne. Hockeyed Simonstown to make the senior final and their second team beats Vincent's after extra time to win the Junior championship. Harsh on Vincent's they were a point up in injury time. Would have been an amazing achievement for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Longwood win the IFC, don't think anyone saw that coming...

Mickey Burke now has Junior B, Junior and Intermediate medals with Longwood's first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Longwood win the IFC, don't think anyone saw that coming...

Mickey Burke now has Junior B, Junior and Intermediate medals with Longwood's first team.

Delighted for Mickey Burke and indeed Longwood, what a servant he has been for club and county, stuck with Longwood through thick and thin and has eventually got what he deserved.

This is not a shot at Longwood or indeed any intermediate team but I have seen a lot of intermediate football this year and the standard has been very poor, I honestly dont think their there is a single team in the IFC who would have a long term future in the SFC. The sooner we get back to 16 teams at senior level the better and hopefully the same at intermediate level too.

Agree with that Buncha Fives. Longwood have done exceptionally well this year but I do think that the overall standard of the IFC has dropped. 12 months ago, Longwood scraped a 2 point win over Ballivor to stay in the IFC and now they're champions.
    Think they will massively struggle in Senior next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Agree with that Buncha Fives. Longwood have done exceptionally well this year but I do think that the overall standard of the IFC has dropped. 12 months ago, Longwood scraped a 2 point win over Ballivor to stay in the IFC and now they're champions.
    Think they will massively struggle in Senior next year.

Last year Curragha looked really strong in the IFC final and ultimately made no impact in SFC and escaped via the relegation play-off. Longwood look no where near as strong as Curragha did, so its hard to be too positive about their future at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

worst inter champs in a long time
    will they care ? no chance
    congrats

Last year Curragha looked really strong in the IFC final and ultimately made no impact in SFC and escaped via the relegation play-off. Longwood look no where near as strong as Curragha did, so its hard to be too positive about their future at senior level.
    I think Curraha were very much handicapped by missing a lot of their better players during this year's championship. But even with their players, while they may have avoided a relegation playoff, I doubt they would have made much of an impact.
    Longwood have Mickey Burke obviously but I don't think they have any other players of the calibre of McEntee, Moriarty, Toner or Shortall.
    sc86 wrote: »
    worst inter champs in a long time
    will they care ? no chance
    congrats
    Yup agree with that too. You can only beat what's in front of you and Longwood have done that.

Rumours from HS that Lenehan's not available in 2019 due to travelling.
    Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Does anyone want to speculate on the chances of a new jersey for next year? The young lads birthday is next week and I don't want to buy him a jersey that will change in three months or so :D

I would assume that, given that they're still full price, they're not changing jerseys next year.

Na Fianna finally got their hands on the IHC championship this afternoon as they eased away from Gaeil Colmcille in the second half to win 2-19 to 1-9.
    Trim went one better than last year by winning the junior hurling championship by beating Ratoath after extra time 0-20 to 1-12.

Kiltale complete the drive for five. They’ll play the Wexford Intermediate champions in Leinster. Win that, and they’ll likely be up against the Kilkenny champions for the fifth year running.

Ratoath win Junior C with a 15 points to 5 win against Clann an nGael.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

About time we won that Junior C in all reality. When you look at Donaghmore, and now Dunboyne having their second teams playing Intermediate, it shows the importance of having a strong second team for the senior clubs. Junior C was far too low a grade for the Ratoath 2nd team and a lot of those players should be aiming to be on the senior panel next year. Hopefully the D's can complete a double next week although it will be a tough ask having been decimated by losing players over the year.

Advertisement