Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Drumconrath seem to have dropped off a lot recently.
    Minors 8 points up against Derry into the second half. Let’s hope they play to the final whistle today unlike last weekend.

Worrying 2nd half so far
    Oh jeez a penalty to Derry now

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I have only watched them a couple times this year. The common trend is. Take a sizeable lead, think the job is done and then completely switch off.

At halftime today I had them chalked in as favorites to win this Championship outright. But that 2nd half wobble was worrying. Not sure who they play next but they really need to keep the foot down for the full 60 minutes. At least they have reached Croker now and they can enjoy the occasion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Wasn't at it but by all accounts they were against a very strong wind in the second half. While obviously going from a 10 point lead to a 1 point lead is worrying, it was very encouraging to see them reel off the last four points of the game. When the penalty was scored I thought there was no chance that Derry weren't going to win. It had all the hallmarks of the minors' game against Dublin last year.
    They'll play the winners of Galway - Clare.

In the SFC, Curraha were brought crashing back to earth by Summerhill. One of the biggest defeats I can remember in the SFC (5-27 to 0-7). Does anyone remember a margin of victory that comes close?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I wasn't in Armagh myself but I'm just glad they got the result, gets them into Croker for a bit of experience. On the club front the Moynalvey result is a suprise, they've just put 10 points on the Cilles. Same with Gael Colmcille, I thought they would beat O'Mahony's but not by as much as they have. I was over in Skryne on Friday for the Pats and Tones. Neither side will be troubling the knock out stages, the skill level on display was awful. My young lad plays U10 and there's lads he plays with that have better basic skills than what I seen Friday.

Win a house to help pay for the redevelopment of Pc Tailteann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 jimmy1672

In the SFC, Curraha were brought crashing back to earth by Summerhill. One of the biggest defeats I can remember in the SFC (5-27 to 0-7). Does anyone remember a margin of victory that comes close?

Kilmainhamwood scored 10 goals against St Colmcille's in 1996.

jimmy1672 wrote: »
    Kilmainhamwood scored 10 goals against St Colmcille's in 1996.
    Right you are! 10-19 to 0-05 points in 1996 according to Wikipedia.
    St. Colmcilles finished with -92 score difference that year.
    Never realised that there was so much info on past championships on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I was at the game in Armagh.

Meath again were very impressive in the first half like the Kildare game but again took the foot off the gas. The difference being that Derry were a lot more tenacious than Kildare and well able to fight their way back into the game.

Still they deserve credit for showing resolve because once Derry got to within a point it looked like they were going to win it.

Galway were 5 down against Clare before winning comfortably. They have a good chance of getting to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The new fundraiser where 3 houses are being raffled of, are glenveigh giving the houses to the meath county board at a heavy discount or are glenveigh the new meath county sponsor and instead of cash they are getting three houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

roadmaster wrote: »
    The new fundraiser where 3 houses are being raffled of, are glenveigh giving the houses to the meath county board at a heavy discount or are glenveigh the new meath county sponsor and instead of cash they are getting three houses?

3 houses @ a list price of 275k each is approaching dublin vodafone bracket of advertising so can be sure they're not free.

a discount of some sort would be the norm there when a gaa club raffles off a house, they pay them off when the ticket money comes in, the developer gets 18 months of advertising. everyone wins as long as the tickets are sold. clubs are getting a cut of the money too so incentive enough.

• Advertisement

Kildare won the U20 all Ireland. We were the only team to beat them.
    In the SHC, Kiltale are in danger of missing out on the knockout stages after losing their second game in a row to Ratoath. Gavin McGowan is some player. Kiltale have to beat Killyon in their last game to make the knockout stages.

More of a moan than anything this but over the last few days I've seen some commentary around how close we got to Tyrone, also mentioning Roscommon in the league, and look at them now, and the same about the U20 side and Kildare. It's real if my auntie had balls stuff that, and I think it's ultimately damaging for the county sides. It's creating an unrealistic expectation of where we are. If people accept the level we're at it would take a degree of pressure off squads and maybe we'd see a gradual improvement. I'd actually half fear for this crop of minors in some parts of our support, the expectations of them going on will be criminal.

rpurfield wrote: »
    More of a moan than anything this but over the last few days I've seen some commentary around how close we got to Tyrone, also mentioning Roscommon in the league, and look at them now, and the same about the U20 side and Kildare. It's real if my auntie had balls stuff that, and I think it's ultimately damaging for the county sides. It's creating an unrealistic expectation of where we are. If people accept the level we're at it would take a degree of pressure off squads and maybe we'd see a gradual improvement. I'd actually half fear for this crop of minors in some parts of our support, the expectations of them going on will be criminal.

For the senior team, it's ridiculous. Yes it's true that we should have put Tyrone out that evening in Navan, but while we may have beaten Carlow, no way would we have made the super 8s. Even if we did, we'd have gotten hockeyed in each game. Roscommon got battered in every game and I'd have them above us.
    For the U20s though, I do think that they were/are a good team. At the end of the day, we were the only team to beat Kildare this year. And, ironically, had we lost to Kildare that time, we would 100% have made a Leinster final seeing as our "reward" for finishing top of our group was to play Dublin (who also finished top of their group) in the semis while Kildare played Carlow and Offaly to reach the final.

If we have any chance in the next 10 years, everything possible has to be done to stop the drain of players after minor/U21.

Anyway, team for tomorrow's minor semi final against Galway has been named. Throw in is at 2:30 and it's on TG4 for those who can't make it. Going to be a tough atmosphere with the Galway seniors playing at 4 against the Dubs.

1. Sean Brennan (Dunderry );
    2. James O’Hare (Rathkenny);
    3. Harry O’Higgins (Drumbaragh);
    4. Cathal Hickey (Seneschalstown);
    5. Conor Farrelly (Walterstown);
    6. Conor Harford (St. Vincent’s);
    7. Sean Coffey (Ballinabrackey);
    8. Adam Reilly (Moynalty);
    9. Cian McBride (St. Ultan’s);
    10. Darragh Swaine (Clann na nGael);
    11. Mathew Costello (Dunshaughlin);
    12. Bryan McCormack (Moynalty);
    13. David Bell (St. Colmcille's);
    14. Luke Kelly (Na Fianna);
    15. Luke Mitchell (Dunshaughlin).

Subs.
    16. Eoin Griffin (Clann na nGael);
    17. Adam Treanor (Walterstown);
    18. Brian O’Hanlon (Navan O' Mahonys);
    19. Colin Hawdon (Oldcastle);
    20. Joseph Moore (Seneschalstown);
    21. Killian Price (Castletown);
    22. Luke Newe (Ratoath);
    23. Niall Bennett (Kilmainhamwood);
    24. Oisín McCloskey (Na Fianna)

Big result for Ratoath against Tones with an 8 point win in Navan (where was that last autumn). 3 point win for Na Fianna means Curraha will almost certainly be in the relegation playoff.

In Intermediate, Walterstown and Ballinlough had narrow wins over Nobber and Duleek respectively. Derby between Kilmainham and Drumbaragh ended in a draw.

Wins for Moylagh, Ballivor, Dunsany and Dunshaughlin in the Junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

Good luck to the minors today.

For the senior team, it's ridiculous. Yes it's true that we should have put Tyrone out that evening in Navan, but while we may have beaten Carlow, no way would we have made the super 8s. Even if we did, we'd have gotten hockeyed in each game. Roscommon got battered in every game and I'd have them above us.
    For the U20s though, I do think that they were/are a good team. At the end of the day, we were the only team to beat Kildare this year. And, ironically, had we lost to Kildare that time, we would 100% have made a Leinster final seeing as our "reward" for finishing top of our group was to play Dublin (who also finished top of their group) in the semis while Kildare played Carlow and Offaly to reach the final.

If we have any chance in the next 10 years, everything possible has to be done to stop the drain of players after minor/U21.

Anyway, team for tomorrow's minor semi final against Galway has been named. Throw in is at 2:30 and it's on TG4 for those who can't make it. Going to be a tough atmosphere with the Galway seniors playing at 4 against the Dubs.

1. Sean Brennan (Dunderry );
    2. James O’Hare (Rathkenny);
    3. Harry O’Higgins (Drumbaragh);
    4. Cathal Hickey (Seneschalstown);
    5. Conor Farrelly (Walterstown);
    6. Conor Harford (St. Vincent’s);
    7. Sean Coffey (Ballinabrackey);
    8. Adam Reilly (Moynalty);
    9. Cian McBride (St. Ultan’s);
    10. Darragh Swaine (Clann na nGael);
    11. Mathew Costello (Dunshaughlin);
    12. Bryan McCormack (Moynalty);
    13. David Bell (St. Colmcille's);
    14. Luke Kelly (Na Fianna);
    15. Luke Mitchell (Dunshaughlin).

Subs.
    16. Eoin Griffin (Clann na nGael);
    17. Adam Treanor (Walterstown);
    18. Brian O’Hanlon (Navan O' Mahonys);
    19. Colin Hawdon (Oldcastle);
    20. Joseph Moore (Seneschalstown);
    21. Killian Price (Castletown);
    22. Luke Newe (Ratoath);
    23. Niall Bennett (Kilmainhamwood);
    24. OisMcCloskey (Na Fianna)

Some good points on the 20s Hammer. I remember during the 90s the talk around the county of Sean Boylan sorting this lad or that lad with work to keep him about, there needs to be that sort of approach from the county board too. I'd be concerned about the drain to other sports too, I was just reading the minor preview in the Chronicle there and while I forget the names, one of the lads missed the quarter final due to commitments with Connacht rugby and another because he was away playing football with Ireland U18s. I love all types of sports but if Meath GAA are investing years of development into players only to lose them elsewhere after 18, we'll be still struggling at senior level.

Even enough game but two quality goals and two quality saves have us 4 up at half time. Making a lot of mistakes in our own 45 that has gifted Galway a few scores but that full forward line looks formidable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Very wasteful in possession, and seem to lose nearly every breaking ball.

Goal for galway there.

We are gifting them the game.

We can't get any possession in midfield from kickouts. A third goal for Galway now. We're capitulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

5 up and well beat. Was getting hopeful but 3 goals took wind out of our sails.

• Advertisement

Heard today that the CB are still holding an U21 competition this year even though it's moved to U20 at inter county. Is this right? Seems a bit mad, surely it would make more sense to line up with the county team.

Group stages of the senior and intermediate hurling championships are done and dusted. Ratoath and Kildalkey go straight through to the senior semi finals with Na Fianna and Clann na nGael into the intermediate semis:

Meath SHC quarter finals
    Killyon v Trim
    Kiltale v Longwood

Meath SHC semi finals
    Ratoath v Killyon/Trim
    Kildalkey v Kiltale/Longwood

Meath IHC quarter finals:
    Drumree v Wolfe Tones
    Gaeil Colmcille v Donaghmore/Ashbourne

Meath IHC semi finals:
    Na Fianna v Drumree/Wolfe Tones
    Clann na Gael v Gaeil Colmcille/Donaghmore-Ashbourne.

Fantastic chance for us to make our first SHC final since 1969 if I do say so myself.
    Dunderry are relegated to intermediate while Kilmessan go down to group B for 2019. Kilmessan were 5 up against Ratoath with 10 minutes to go but didn't score again.

Hammer what are ye at down there to be churning out all these good teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Group stages of the senior and intermediate hurling championships are done and dusted. Ratoath and Kildalkey go straight through to the senior semi finals with Na Fianna and Clann na nGael into the intermediate semis:

Meath SHC quarter finals
    Killyon v Trim
    Kiltale v Longwood

Meath SHC semi finals
    Ratoath v Killyon/Trim
    Kildalkey v Kiltale/Longwood

Meath IHC quarter finals:
    Drumree v Wolfe Tones
    Gaeil Colmcille v Donaghmore/Ashbourne

Meath IHC semi finals:
    Na Fianna v Drumree/Wolfe Tones
    Clann na Gael v Gaeil Colmcille/Donaghmore-Ashbourne.

Fantastic chance for us to make our first SHC final since 1969 if I do say so myself.
    Dunderry are relegated to intermediate while Kilmessan go down to group B for 2019. Kilmessan were 5 up against Ratoath with 10 minutes to go but didn't score again.

for some reason the semi final match ups for the senior have been swapped around :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

sc86 wrote: »
    for some reason the semi final match ups for the senior have been swapped around :confused:

Have they been reported wrong I wonder? Although the fixtures on the county board website indicate the above too.
    Senior Hurling Championship
    46. Senior Hurling Championship shall be run on a combination of a League and knockout basis under Rule 6.20 T.O. Two Divisions of six teams each.
    Senior Hurling Championship to be ran in two sections i.e. A. Strong and B Weak.
    In 2018 Group A to comprise of the following Clubs; Kiltale, Kildalkey, Killyon, Kilmessan, St Peters Dunboyne and Ratoath.
    Group B to comprise of the following Clubs; Trim, Blackhall Gaels, Boardsmill, Longwood, Dunderry and Navan O’Mahonys.
    After the League stages, the top two teams in Group A qualify for Semi Finals with the Third and Fourth placed teams play the top two teams in section B in the Quarter Finals.
    A4 v B1 v A1
    A3 v B2 v A2
    The team that finishes 6th in Group A is placed in Group B for the following year and is replaced by the Top team in Group B.

Taken from here
    Which should mean that it is Ratoath v Kiltale/Longwood and Kildalkey v Trim/Killyon.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Hammer what are ye at down there to be churning out all these good teams?
    There's been a good mix of dedicated football and hurling people in the club for a while and obviously a massive amount of work done at underage. The increase in population has also helped obviously.
    In hurling, Curraha players are included and, up until this year, we also had a few of your own clubmates in the squad.
    It's amazing that just 6 years ago, Ratoath were playing junior football and hurling.

My worry in football is that outside our first team, we only have junior C & D teams. Look at Don/Ash and they've Senior, Intermediate, Junior B and Junior D teams. Hoping that we can at least win junior C this year to hopefully get the younger players coming through playing a higher quality of football.
    sc86 wrote: »
    See that alright. The Chronicle and HS were reporting the semis as I posted above. Can't see us beating Kiltale twice in the same year.

There's been a good mix of dedicated football and hurling people in the club for a while and obviously a massive amount of work done at underage. The increase in population has also helped obviously.
    In hurling, Curraha players are included and, up until this year, we also had a few of your own clubmates in the squad.
    It's amazing that just 6 years ago, Ratoath were playing junior football and hurling.

My worry in football is that outside our first team, we only have junior C & D teams. Look at Don/Ash and they've Senior, Intermediate, Junior B and Junior D teams. Hoping that we can at least win junior C this year to hopefully get the younger players coming through playing a higher quality of football.

See that alright. The Chronicle and HS were reporting the semis as I posted above. Can't see us beating Kiltale twice in the same year.

It's serious going all the same, I think if the talked about changes come in your second team will get a lift anyway. There's talk of a form of an SFC reserve competition taking the second teams out of the JFC (and I assume Ashbourne out of the IFC) and playing their own championship but running the adult leagues together with no split between A and B.

Something has to change in the championships I feel. Personally think we missed a great opportunity when the decision to make each championship 16 teams was reversed.

Group A in the IFC is done and dusted.

Nobber 3-7 Trim 1-8
    St. Michaels 1-20 St Ultans 2-9
    Walterstown 3-8 Ballinabrackey 2-10

Bracks had already won the group while Trim were guaranteed second place. But Michael's just about squeezed into third spot on score difference. Ultans are back in the relegation playoff.

Heaps of games tonight. All of them are at 8pm.

SFC Group A
    Blackhall Gaels v Seneschalstown, Dunshaughlin
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne v Simonstown, Skryne
    St Peters Dunboyne v Dunshaughlin, Simonstown

SFC Group C
    St Colmcilles v Ratoath, Duleek
    Moynalvey v St Patricks, Ashbourne
    Wolfe Tones v Rathkenny, Castletown

IFC Group B
    Meath Hill v Dunderry, Cortown
    Syddan v Kilmainham, Moynalty
    Drumbaragh v Longwood, Dunganny

JFC
    Carnaross v Moylagh, Millbrook
    Clonard v Drumconrath, Carlanstown
    Clann na nGael v St Brigids, Ballinlough

Anyone know what's up with the We Are Meath podcast? No episode this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Something has to change in the championships I feel. Personally think we missed a great opportunity when the decision to make each championship 16 teams was reversed.

Group A in the IFC is done and dusted.

Nobber 3-7 Trim 1-8
    St. Michaels 1-20 St Ultans 2-9
    Walterstown 3-8 Ballinabrackey 2-10

Bracks had already won the group while Trim were guaranteed second place. But Michael's just about squeezed into third spot on score difference. Ultans are back in the relegation playoff.

Heaps of games tonight. All of them are at 8pm.

SFC Group A
    Blackhall Gaels v Seneschalstown, Dunshaughlin
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne v Simonstown, Skryne
    St Peters Dunboyne v Dunshaughlin, Simonstown

SFC Group C
    St Colmcilles v Ratoath, Duleek
    Moynalvey v St Patricks, Ashbourne
    Wolfe Tones v Rathkenny, Castletown

IFC Group B
    Meath Hill v Dunderry, Cortown
    Syddan v Kilmainham, Moynalty
    Drumbaragh v Longwood, Dunganny

JFC
    Carnaross v Moylagh, Millbrook
    Clonard v Drumconrath, Carlanstown
    Clann na nGael v St Brigids, Ballinlough

I was looking at the championship tables thinking the same thing last night.

A few years ago the county board looked at our championships and decided that the number one major issue holding this county back was....byes. They reckoned that odd numbered groups were the main problem with club football in Meath, so the answer to our ills was to make every group in every championship have 6 teams.

This of course involved promoting everyone and bloating the championships with teams just happy to tread water and avoid relegation every year. A telling sign of the diluted quality was how pre 2012, Meath had won the Leinster Junior Club football championship 8 times in 10 years, and 5 times on the trot. After the 2012 changes, Meath clubs have only reached the final once.

Not only that but the system has fallen apart at junior level. We now have a 20 team junior championship with lopsided groups. Even worse is the 14 team Junior B championship, which takes 5 months and 26 games just to eliminate 5 teams. In Junior B group A, there's only 4 teams, 3 of whom go through. It's a bizarre situation.

Advertisement