Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Gary Rogers and Colm Nally are in the backroom team for next season with the seniors. https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/rogers-gets-goalkeeper-coaching-role-with-royals-37448106.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Two defeats for Meath teams in their respective Leinster championships. Long wood were beaten after extra time by St. Mochta’s 1-10 to 0-11. St. Vincent’s were beaten by St. Brigid’s of Offaly 2-7 to 9 points.
    Dunboyne up against Shelmaliers in Wexford Park tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Two defeats for Meath teams in their respective Leinster championships. Long wood were beaten after extra time by St. Mochta’s 1-10 to 0-11. St. Vincent’s were beaten by St. Brigid’s of Offaly 2-7 to 9 points.
    Dunboyne up against Shelmaliers in Wexford Park tomorrow.
    Revenge for the Mochs. The future is bright. Bright blue and yellow.😎

^Heard Longwood were robbed... :pac:

Dunboyne easily beat Shelmaliers 1-12 to 1-2. Either Kilmacud Crokes or St. Jude's in the next round.

Just had an email in that the first house draw is postponed from tomorrow to December 29th. I'm genuinely concerned they haven't been selling great, you know when you get a sense of something without putting the finger on it. Even the email doesn't sound very clear, I'll copy it below. I know it's a harder sell when the senior team isn't going well but they need to come out and tell supporters exactly what's happening.
    Date: October 31st 2018

Meath GAA has announced that it is extending the deadline for its Royal House Draw. The draw for the €275K home at Cois Glaisin in south Navan had been due to take place on the 31st of October but it has now been decided to defer it until December 29th.

The draw is the first of three for three new houses through which Meath GAA plans to raise €1.5m for the redevelopment of Pc Tailteann.

Peter O’Halloran, Chairman of Meath GAA said while feedback to the draw had been extremely positive, they had underestimated the amount of time required to put the logistics for the draw in place.

“Running a draw like this is a major operation and it took us longer than planned to put the framework in place. As a result, we started a little later than planned. The reaction of the clubs has been very enthusiastic, but their feedback was that they needed more time to sell their tickets.”

“Extending the time period will also enable us to take advantage of the Christmas period as these tickets will make ideal festive gifts for anyone who supports Meath GAA or indeed for anyone who would simply like to start 2019 by walking into their new home”, he said.

Tickets for the draw are €100 each but all those paying in advance for the three draws will be able to avail of a special discount rate of €250. Tickets are available from local clubs and online www.royalhousedraw.com/ The maximum number of tickets sold for each draw will be 12,000.

Various options and ‘easy pay’ methods are available to facilitate the purchase of tickets while an incentive scheme for clubs is also in place. The other draws will take place in mid and late 2019.

• Advertisement

Had my stuff all ready to move in and all...
    Did think that they were a bit optimistic in aiming to sell 12000 tickets in 3 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Had my stuff all ready to move in and all...
    Did think that they were a bit optimistic in aiming to sell 12000 tickets in 3 months or so.

36000 tickets the way I read it, 12000 per draw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Does anyone have any idea what the format of the Brendan Davis cup is meant to be? So far it made sense with the teams knocked out in the senior + inter championship group stages playing each other, with the winners of those games playing the losing quarter finalists, and the winners of those games playing the losing semi finalists etc.

But it seems to just go haywire after that. Ratoath and Kildalkey both exited the championship at the same round, but Kildalkey only played 2 games to get to the final while Ratoath would have to play 3 matches to reach the final, assuming they won them all. I'm not usually one for the "Kildalkey get all the breaks" line, but that's ridiculous.

It's also a bit suspicious how Kildalkey's path to reach the final was a fairly handy one vs. Rathmolyon and Navan, yet Ratoath "drew" Blackhall Gaels, Kilmessan and if they win that, Trim. A far harder path by any measure.

Also Gaeil Colmcille, Na Fianna and Kiltale all appear not to even take part. I'm aware it's a third rate competition and most players I know wanted to lose ASAP, but at least it could be transparently organised rather than being treated as the property of Kildalkey, just because that's where Davis was from.

And following on from my original complaint about the competition, tomorrow's Davis Cup final has been cancelled because apparently Kiltale have lodged an objection to Leinster Council about not being involved.

Looking at the Feis cup and Corn na Bóinne, it seems the champions in each grade aren't taking part. But Longwood and Dunboyne musn't have that same issues with it as Kiltale do.

Surely they asked Kiltale whether they wanted to participate? Though both the Feis Cup and BD Cup finals were scheduled within hours of each other when Ratoath still had a chance of making both finals so it wouldn’t surprise me. I’m sure Kiltale would have appreciated a competitive game or two in the four weeks after their title win.
    Speaking of which,they were surprisingly knocked out of the Leinster IHC today by Fethard of Wexford 2-9 to 2-5. Disappointing that they haven’t really performed to the standard they’re used to in Leinster in the past two seasons.
    No such problems for Na Fianna as they easily beat Crookedwood of Westmeath 6-14 to 1-10 in the Leinster JHC quarter final. They’ll likely play Taghmon-Camross of Wexford in the semi final.

I'm willing to bet a pint that if/when Kiltale get reinstated to the Davis Cup, they'll be "drawn" against Trim in a new semi final, with Kildalkey still straight into the final of their own competition.

• Advertisement

I'm willing to bet a pint that if/when Kiltale get reinstated to the Davis Cup, they'll be "drawn" against Trim in a new semi final, with Kildalkey still straight into the final of their own competition.
    Well the first part of your post has come true. Can't see any of the beaten teams coming back so I'd assume that it'll 'officially' be a three team tournament.
    What an absolute mess.

Scratch that. Canceled completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

Nice documentary on TG4 about Trevor Giles.

What a super player player he was.

With only a month (!) to go till the inter county season starts again, does anyone know what the format for the Kehoe Cup is for 2019?

I had assumed we'd still be in the Walsh Cup but it seems we've been demoted. I can understand why they stopped promoting every team to the Walsh Cup and relegated ourselves, Kildare and Wicklow after some of the tankings we got, but they've sent Westmeath and Antrim down to the Kehoe Cup as well despite them being Joe McDonagh teams.

I also take it then that Louth and Longford are out of the competition?

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2018/09/27/4162599-meath-to-open-defence-of-obyrne-cup-against-laois/

Na Fianna with a great win in the Leinster JHC semi final against Taghmon Camross of Wexford. Last minute goal won it for them 3-12 to 2-13. As per usual, Kilkenny champions (Dunamaggin) in the final.

Seniors played Leitrim in Oldcastle today (shorter season how are ya) Mickey Newman started full forward, Sean Tobin on the bench. They won 1-20 to 1-10, I'm only robbing the info off twitter. Here's the team sheet

DsSa214WoAA4gFM.jpg:large

Two camogie All Irelands for Meath teams yesterday in Navan.
    Kilmessan won back to back Junior All Irelands by beating Four Roads of Roscommon 3-12 to 1-12.
    Ratoath won the Junior B All Ireland championship by beating Clontibret of Monaghan 1-12 to 0-03.
    Congrats to both teams! It's been an excellent few years for camogie in the county.

The senior team beat Louth 1-15 to 1-11 yesterday with Mickey Newman returning to the team and scoring 1-6. James Conlon scored 2 points and was fouled for the penalty that Newman converted.

Meath have been awarded home advantage for the championship game against Offaly next summer. However, the work on PT is due to start in May. Not sure when the game is due to be played, but it could be the last one before it's redeveloped.

Na Fianna beaten by Dunamaggin in the Leinster JHC final 3-17 to 1-11.
    Dunboyne all but sealed their Club of the Year title by beating Ratoath in the U21 final.

• Advertisement

3-11 to 6 points. Good score in bad conditions I'd imagine. Anyone make the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Meath playing Longford in the O'Byrne cup in ashbourne tomorrow sat 15th
    Throw in 5pm.

First house draw took place yesterday. Fair play to the county board for streaming it on Facebook, that's how I picked it up. Still laughing at those commenting on the live stream calling it a fix because Paddy O'Dwyer that won it puts in the yards with Dunshaughlin. The results are in this tweet if ye missed them: https://twitter.com/MeathGAA/status/1079048616436740098

Well I didn't win so it must be a fix!

Also, I've a sneaky feeling that they are counting all money collected so far as being for this one draw, even if a lot of it was people paying upfront for 3 draw entries. If so they will see a large drop in income for the next 2 draws, and if they've a minimum target to hit like this draw, there could be trouble.

Had me stuff all ready to move in and all!!!
    Did they mention how much they've made so far?

I haven't seen figures mentioned for sales to be honest folks and I'm curious myself. If I remember rightly either We Are Meath or LMFM had an interview with Seamus Kenny where targets were mentioned and it was on a three draw basis.

Restructure of the championships was passed today by 45 - 18. Let's see if it sticks this time.

You'd imagine it will since they've watered it down to appease clubs who like a cosy one win a year existence. Hopefully in a few years they'll revisit and reduce intermediate to 16 as well.

I think the proposal to segregate 2nd teams is a backwards step too. It's more appeasement of clubs who dislike a challenge. In addition to some good 2nd teams containing good footballers, the top first teams from junior are being removed in order to bloat intermediate, further weakening the junior grade.

This also pretty much spells the end of any hope of silverware for the likes of Boardsmill or St. Mary's. Where they had a good shot at the junior B, they're not going to win the Junior football championship.

I'd throw St.Paul's in there too but they're doomed no matter what format is there.

Has anyone any idea what happens junior C + D now? Or are all 2nd team competitions now renamed (bizarrely) "Premier"?

It's a step in the right direction but they will need to revisit the IFC in a couple of years. Having a 20 team IFC is just moving the current problem with the SFC down a grade. I think the method of relegation from SFC is a bit much too. The bottom two in each group go into a play off with 5th from one group playing 6th from another. The three losers go down then. Would've been simpler to just relegate the three bottom teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

can they not do anything right?

Advertisement