Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Game off!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Why is it not moved to Navan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it in a playable condition either?
    Much snow up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Because it's a home game for Cavan? Surely they shouldn't be penalised for something they have no control over. If it was the other way around I don't think Meath would be entertaining a suggestion of the game being moved to Breffni.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

I was at the Donaghmore Ashbourne v Navan game today just there. Decent game overall. An awful lot of needless off the ball stuff. Referee was brutal for both sides. Navan actually looked the better team after going down to 14 so I think Donaghmore will be happy enough with the draw.

On the sending off, the linesman signalled the ref over. He told him the navan man kicked out, which in fairness is what happened, but the linesman was a Donaghmore man so he didn't need a reason to get navan down to 14. Crazy from the ref.

And the crowd were "animated" to say the least. I thought a fight was gonna break out amongst them at one point.

All in all it was grand entertainment though, on and off the pitch :pac:

• Advertisement

paul0103 wrote: »
    Because it's a home game for Cavan? Surely they shouldn't be penalised for something they have no control over. If it was the other way around I don't think Meath would be entertaining a suggestion of the game being moved to Breffni.
    Breffni Park is a shocking pitch in the winter if I remember correctly. If they can't provide a playable pitch in the county and one is available in the other county, I think they should forfeit home advantage. As it stands now, we'll have 6 weekends in a row without a break. And if there's another postponement in that time, then we're into needing midweek games. I'd be of the same opinion if Navan was unplayable two days in a row and Breffni was.

Good to see Andy allowing the clubs to use their county players in the league games today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm not sure if it's due to the new website format or if someone new has the responsibility after the county board elections, but does anyone else think the Meath website has gotten slower at inputting results?

The last few years 90% of the results have been up within an hour or so after the final whistle. This year it seems to take a day or 2 for results to be put up.

I know it's a bit of a trivial complaint, but I'd gotten used to the good service!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I'm not sure if it's due to the new website format or if someone new has the responsibility after the county board elections, but does anyone else think the Meath website has gotten slower at inputting results?

The last few years 90% of the results have been up within an hour or so after the final whistle. This year it seems to take a day or 2 for results to be put up.

I know it's a bit of a trivial complaint, but I'd gotten used to the good service!

Meath GAA, in general, is bad at the internet game.

Meath GAA, in general, is bad at the internet game.
    Up until the website change, I genuinely couldn't fault the Meath site. As Crab said, the results and fixtures were updated ridiculously quickly. Was quite easy to find the most important info as well.
    Now, it takes hours for them to update the results and I don't find it as user friendly as the old one.

Cavan game rescheduled for this Sunday. O'Byrne Cup final moved to March 11th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Up until the website change, I genuinely couldn't fault the Meath site. As Crab said, the results and fixtures were updated ridiculously quickly. Was quite easy to find the most important info as well.
    Now, it takes hours for them to update the results and I don't find it as user friendly as the old one.

If you haven't already, you should try downloading the Meath GAA app. I haven't used the website since they brought out the app, match results seem to get put up fairly quickly on there. Plus I get a notification sent to my phone whenever fixtures, results, match reports & team news have been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    If you haven't already, you should try downloading the Meath GAA app. I haven't used the website since they brought out the app, match results seem to get put up fairly quickly on there. Plus I get a notification sent to my phone whenever fixtures, results, match reports & team news have been updated.

Yeah the app is pretty good now. The delays could be down to a change of PRO at the convention, to be fair it would take some time to get up to speed with the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

https://aib.ie/gaa/blog/2018/02/paddy_o_rourke_im_finished_with_county

Very interesting article from Paddy O'Rourke about why he chose to leave county panel and why he does not regret it.

Bizarre that AIB, who sponsor the GAA, are sharing this article given it's about POR berating the GAA and playing for county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

sheroman01 wrote: »
    https://aib.ie/gaa/blog/2018/02/paddy_o_rourke_im_finished_with_county

Very interesting article from Paddy O'Rourke about why he chose to leave county panel and why he does not regret it.

Bizarre that AIB, who sponsor the GAA, are sharing this article given it's about POR berating the GAA and playing for county.

AIB sponsor the club championships and do trojan work promoting the club game. Interviewing club players, putting up highlights of club games, using the twitter thing #TheToughest and all that sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

dobman88 wrote: »
    AIB sponsor the club championships and do trojan work promoting the club game. Interviewing club players, putting up highlights of club games, using the twitter thing #TheToughest and all that sh!te.

Ah, fair enough! Have to applaud them then in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Hurling team named for tomorrow. A win really puts us in a good position to get to the final, although we'll probably still need 2 wins from the last three games to be sure of it. Alan Douglas named among the subs, was he on the football squad early in the year?

DWJvEp4W4AAjcXh.jpg

Sounded like an agonizing defeat for the hurlers today. The 5-10 minute spell in the second half where Westmeath got 5 on the trot to go 5 up lost the game by the sounds of it.
    Nevertheless, I'd be quietly confident that they can beat Kerry and Carlow to make the final

Fourth game in a row that we've had a disastrous first half. It's worrying that this trend hasn't been addressed.
    That's promotion down the drain for the umpteenth year in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fourth game in a row that we've had a disastrous first half. It's worrying that this trend hasn't been addressed.

Yep, iv'e said here before, it doesnt matter who play, we start up in this defensive set up, where we leave 1 maybe 2 forwards up field, play the ball back and across, and back across the field again, and get a couple of scores, then we get behind and decide we actually play better on the front foot, when we attack and go direct, but we only seem to play that way when we're chasing the game.

Promotion looks unlikely now and its a real shame, because this looked like the year we could get it, cavan are top now i think, and that could easily be us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Andy McEntee blamed playing against the breeze in the first half for Meaths poor performance in his post match interview.

• Advertisement

The division is wide open, I honestly don't think we're out of the promotion race. Having said that next week will be must win now, you'd be relatively confident going into the home games we've left. It's just really frustrating that you think you're seeing some sort of progress or step forward and then get treated to a really bad display.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Heartbreaking for the hurlers. Regan on fire again. Not that long ago Westmeath would of bet us off the park
    For footballers Ulster curse continues. Going forward they were so lethargic. Allowing Cavan to get men back and having no space to shoot. And when Cavan went forward they found space easier and were clinical.
    Bought a bottle of water and decided i didnt want it. No bins around so had to throw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

I have great time for Paddy . He was great servant to the county and always tried best. But his defeatist comments recently I thought were uncalled for . Yes we know we have had our worst decade since the 20s. But at the start of this decade the 07 to 10 team was breaking up. Between 2014 to 2017 there was a massive overhaul of the Meath panel with a set of new young players. I now believe we are entering a stronger period. It will take time and patience, but I believe at the start of the next decade the 2020s we will see progress again. We need to be realistic, know where are, but also accept the future can be better. A defeatist atitude wont beat the Dubs. For me below is what everything Meath football stands for, the never say die spirit passed from generation to generation.

This is Meath football. The below story shows the true spirit of Meath football. If u want to know about the spirit of Meath football read below. I meet people in my county every week from young to old who will say that we will beat the Dubs soon. Yes some of have a defeatest atitude . But there is many in the county from young to old who still believe. Maybe the story below will explain why we always believe we will beat the Dubs someday. Not this year or next but some day soon.

In the summer of 1964 Dublin were the reigning All Ireland champions. A team with St Vincent's player and led by Kevin Heffernan they were seen as unbeatable and were changing the face of football along with Down with new tactics and new training. They were expected to dominate leinster and football for years ( Where have we heard that before ). In the early 60s Meath were in divsion 3 and seen as a county living off former glories. But three brothers the Quinn brothers from a small tiny parish in rural county Meath called Kilbride had difference ideas Meath were playing Dublin in the leinster final of 1964. Meath were rank outsiders and Dublin the hottest of hot favourites were seen as unbeatable. No one gave Meath a chance.

Behind the scenes the three Quinn brothers father became critically ill and had very little time to live. On the Saturday before the match he became critically ill and it was believed he would not last the night. The local priest annointed him. The brothers didnt know what to do. Would it be appropriate to play the leinster final the next day. They believed it wouldnt. But there father told them on his deathbed, he whispered to them not just to play Dublin but to go out to Croker on Sunday and beat the Dubs. So with all their family uncles and aunts with tears in their eyes they decided that they were going to play and bring back the Delaney Cup to show their sick father. As Jack Quinn said "Theres a job to be done lets f#$$//kin do it". Their mothers words left no room for doubt as they left the house the next morning as she said to each one of the brothers as they left the house "Go go Meath Meath'.

They went to the match and the local priest comes into the dressing room before the match and tells the brothers, the father is still alive. The brothers were magnificent in the first half. With Jack putting on an exhibition of high fielding. Unbelievably Meath were ahead at half time. In the dressing room.at the interval the news was passed on to the Quinns that the father was still alive. Meath came out in the second and gave the single greatest performance by a Meath team in a leinster final ever. With the three Quinn brothers to the fore Meath dethroned the reigning All Ireland champions by 7 points. In the papers the next day an Irish Press journalist wrote " the Dubs may as well have tried to take a high ball of the top of Nelson pillar as it take it from Martin and Jack Quinn".

As the cup was lifted the the Quinns received news that their father was still alive. That night the 3 Quinn brother Jack Martin and Gerry brought the Delaney cup back to Kilbride to show their ailing father. They say word of the famous victory seemed to revive their fathers spirit. He came around on the Monday and took it all in looking at Delaney cup with pride as their mother read him articles from the newspaper about the match and his 3 sons. As she read about the match one of his last words was " thats fantastic ". It was emotional. He died on the Wednesday 3 days after the leinster final.

The brothers and Meath would unluckily lose to the great Galway team.in the semi final. In 66 they won leinster and defeated the great Down team by 14 points in a semi final . But again they lost to the great Galway team in the final. The next year they won Sam. And in 1968 toured Australia and played Auzzie Rules teams and were unbeaten as they toured and invented the international rules. They would beat Offaly in the greatest leinster final of them all in 1970.
    The truth is not only did they dethrone in 1964 but they sent Dublin to the football wilderness for ten years as Dublin failed to win a leinster title for ten years till Heffos Army emerged in 1974.

And thats Meath football. Just as Mick lyons once said "Id live and die to play the Dubs". Martin Quinn said that when we heard what lyons said he told a local journalist " We all feel that way".
    And he is right for many Meath people we all feel that way when it comes to beating Dublin. And the McEntee brothers are another set of great Meath brothers following in the footsteps of the Quinn brothers carrying on that great Meath tradition that is passed from one generation to another from one decade to another from one set of Meath footballers to another. And that is , "its mid July the hay is saved and The Dubs are beaten". A rallying cry for Meath footballers down through the ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

We need to be honest and realistic where we are and criticize when criticism is needed. But not to be defeatist. Bernard Flynn, I thought responded to Paddys comments very well. I must admit I am looking at it totally from a Meath point of view, is this good for Meath or bad. I know I should think more of the whole area and I know it is a massive issue and its needs to be addressed. But just when this young new Meath are trying to build themselves up, Paddys comments are of no help whatsoever. Definatly I felt it led to more gloom and doom around Meath football leading up to Sunday.

Anyone go down to Semple?
    Thats as bad as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mattser

iDave wrote: »
    Anyone go down to Semple?
    Thats as bad as it gets.

Division 3 at this rate.

Only followed it online, thank God I didn't travel. It genuinely lookslike another year of treading water in division 2 and going out of the championship in June or July. We're a few years off seeing any improvement if you ask me, bloody streets behind and it's really frustrating stuff. Seen some references tonight to been beaten by a hurling county, people need to get it out of their heads that the name of the county is enough to get by.

They're not even losing well by going down fighting. Its two hammerings in row now.
    Just an endless loop of disappointment and head scratching with Meath football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

few pages back lads were talking about div 1 and super 8s
    get a grip ffs

getting beat by tipp away is not a shock , not even close

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

You're streets off kildare. Probably a third tier team at this stage. Sad stuff.

Advertisement