Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Probably the difference between Meath and Tipperary at the moment is , Tipperary s mantea is get to an all ireland final by 2020 , they have already won a minor , lost an u21 and got to a senior semi final in the last 5 years

Like clare they Are a hurling county per say but they probably have the structure in place that Meath are lacking at the moment

I was seriously impressed with the Meath support earlier in the month , something like 6000 were there in navan that day , but tipp have propper setups in place , they were a strong football county one time and do have tradition , in fact they have probably won the same number of football all irelands as Meath

Fact is the Meath board need to look at what they done underage and get back on track that way if they can do it surly Meath can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

sc86 wrote: »
    few pages back lads were talking about div 1 and super 8s
    get a grip ffs

getting beat by tipp away is not a shock , not even close

No it's not, but the hammering is the worse thing. You wouldn't mind if you were in a game the whole way through and just didn't close it out or got pipped by a point or two, but that's not even happening. People are calling for McEntee's head and need to get a grip. There's been a problem with every manager since Boylan left, when do people realise it isn't just the line that's the problem, we're miles off with underage and ti's showing at senior

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Something seriously wrong over the last couple of games obviously. No one is saying we're up there with division 1 teams but we should not be beaten by 8 points by Tipperary. Promotion obviously gone now. A loss against Cork and we're staring down the barrel.

Big loss for the hurlers as well in Tralee. 3-19 to 1-9 meaning promotion is also out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

i think the gaa in general has a big problem at the minute
    the levels of commitment are just gone silly - the enjoyment for county lads cant be same as it was
    no social life / a job that has to suit gaa training / match and family life etc
    training 6 nights a week with a game then is gone to far
    2 /3 nights a week with a game max
    this all started in part , by managers getting paid by the night and then the rest had to copy
    sport is ment to be enjoyed and it looks to be a extra job now with time it takes up

this is not just meath , its in all counties that have no hope of winning anything in next 2/3 years

thats not even going into clubs starting to train in mornings before work in dublin - wait till that spreads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm not sure whether to see today's results as our rivals for promotion dropping points, or as our rivals for relegation gaining points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'm not sure whether to see today's results as our rivals for promotion dropping points, or as our rivals for relegation gaining points.

The latter.

I can't see the O'Byrne Cup final being played. Third game of ours to be postponed means that there are no more free weeks to play it.

John Heslin had a way of resolving the O'Byrne cup dilemma

https://twitter.com/jheslin14/status/969628743516991491

And Mickey Burke was ready

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf3oOjuFMuE/?hl=en&taken-by=mickey_burke__the_honeybadger

(Sorry, I'm rubbish at doing the embed stuff)

rpurfield wrote: »
    John Heslin had a way of resolving the O'Byrne cup dilemma

https://twitter.com/jheslin14/status/969628743516991491

And Mickey Burke was ready

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf3oOjuFMuE/?hl=en&taken-by=mickey_burke__the_honeybadger

(Sorry, I'm rubbish at doing the embed stuff)
    So we win the O'Byrne Cup by default as Westmeath didn't show up.
    Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Why can it not be played midweek on saint lomans all weather pitch, the floodlights are excellent there

• Advertisement

Draws for the championships have been made:

Sick of the sight of St. Pat's now :pac: Good opportunity for us to get some revenge on Tones.
    Group A in the SFC looks to be the toughest but no real group of death.
    Senior Football Championship
    Group A
    Dunboyne
    Blackhall Gaels
    Donaghmore-Ashbourne
    Seneschalstown
    Dunshaughlin
    Simonstown Gaels

Group B
    O'Mahony's
    Na Fianna
    Gaeil Colmcille
    Summerhill
    Skryne
    Curraha

Group C
    Moynalvey
    Wolfe Tones
    St Colmcilles
    Rathkenny
    St Patrick's
    Ratoath
    Senior Hurling Championship
    Group A
    Kilmessan
    Kildalkey
    Kiltale
    Dunboyne
    Ratoath
    Killyon

Group B
    Dunderry
    Blackhall Gaels
    Trim
    Longwood
    Boardsmill
    O'Mahony's
    Intermediate Football Championship
    Group A
    St Ultan's
    Walterstown
    Trim
    Ballinabrackey
    St Michaels
    Nobber

Group B
    Drumbaragh
    Syddan
    Meath Hill
    Kilmainham
    Longwood
    Dunderry

Group C
    Duleek Bellewstown
    Castletown
    Donaghmore Ashbourne
    Ballinlough
    Bective
    Oldcastle
    Intermediate Hurling Championship
    Group A
    Wolfe Tones
    Kilskyre Moylagh
    Rathmoylon
    Gaeil Colmcille
    O'Mahonys
    Na Fianna

Group B
    Kiltale
    Donaghmore Ashbourne
    Kilmessan
    Kildakey
    Drumree
    Clann na Gael
    Junior A Football Championship
    Group A
    Clonard
    Carnaross
    Clann na Gael
    Moylagh
    Drumconrath
    St Brigids

Group B
    Dunsany
    Cortown
    Ballivor
    Kilmainhamwood
    Moynalty
    St Vincents

Group C
    Dunshaughlin
    Dunboyne
    Summerhill
    Gaeil Colmcille
    Skryne
    Seneschalstown
    O'Mahonys
    Wolfe Tones
    Junior (2) Hurling Championship
    Group A
    Trim
    Kildalkey
    Ratoath
    Kilskyre Moylagh
    St Patrick's
    Na Fianna
    Wolfe Tones

Group B
    Kiltale
    Killyon
    Dunboyne
    Clann na nGael
    Rathmoylon
    Boardsmill
    Drumree
    Junior B Football Chamopionship
    Group A
    St Mary's
    Kilbride
    Slane
    Boardsmill

Group B
    Simonstown Gaels
    Na Fianna
    Nobber
    Moynavley
    St Patrick's

Group C
    St Colmcilles
    Donaghmore Ashbourne
    Trim
    Dunboyne
    Duleek Bellewstown
    Junior C Football Championship
    Group A
    Ratoath
    St Michaels
    Summerhill
    Clann na nGael
    Moynalty

Group B
    Walterstown
    Rathkenny
    Simonstown
    Oldcastle
    O'Mahony's

Group C
    Syddan
    Carnaross
    Dunderry
    Cortown
    Blackhall Gaels

Group D
    Dunsany
    Castletown
    St Ultan's
    St Paul's
    Seneschalstown

While it's great to have more teams going in the county, I'm wondering if St. Patricks are ever going to put a more sustainable plan together for hurling.

This seems to be the third time in around a decade that they've stopped fielding before reforming again at junior 2 level.

Jaysus I hadn't even noticed that St. Pat's were back in the hurling. Few of their players were playing with Ratoath over the last couple of years so it is good that they don't have to travel so far. Hurling just isn't on the radar around the Stamullen, Duleek, Bettystown areas. Given the population of the area, they would have the potential for a half decent hurling team.
    At least St. Pat's are giving it a shot. I know rpurfield was saying that they've been putting in a lot of work in underage with the view of fielding an adult team. Just didn't expect it to be so soon.

I see St. Paul's have made the drop to Junior C. That's a club where some amount of work is going to have to be done to keep them afloat.

Laochra Gael featuring GG is on tonight on TG4 at 9:30pm.

Jaysus I hadn't even noticed that St. Pat's were back in the hurling. Few of their players were playing with Ratoath over the last couple of years so it is good that they don't have to travel so far. Hurling just isn't on the radar around the Stamullen, Duleek, Bettystown areas. Given the population of the area, they would have the potential for a half decent hurling team.
    At least St. Pat's are giving it a shot. I know rpurfield was saying that they've been putting in a lot of work in underage with the view of fielding an adult team. Just didn't expect it to be so soon.

I see St. Paul's have made the drop to Junior C. That's a club where some amount of work is going to have to be done to keep them afloat.

Yeah there's good work going on at underage but that's probably a few years away from being seen even at minor level as it seems to be only really from 10 or 12 years down. We do have a joint team with the 'Cilles at I think U12, probably in terms of hurling a regional team along the coast makes sense. The reason the adult team has been stop start is we had some good underage hurlers in the late 90s so it reformed into an adult team with help from some "blow ins" but they've retired now so numbers were low. When we had a run at it a few years back we won the Junior 2 and Junior so it was a useful team.

In terms of the football it's an interesting group. We'd a decent start to the league so hopefully we're competitive again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

Laochra Gael featuring GG is on tonight on TG4 at 9:30pm.

That should be good. Thanks Hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Apart from the tactics, i dont know what else to expect today, hopefully we just get a win

Have to use the strong breeze 2nd half and hopefully try and use more then 2 forwards

Sweet Jesus how have we regressed this much?

Sweet Jesus how have we regressed this much?

Its unbelievable, the 2nd cork goal just summed everything up, atrocious stuff altogether

• Advertisement

Its unbelievable, the 2nd cork goal just summed everything up, atrocious stuff altogether
    What happened? O'Neill and Collins seemed to cause us lots of problems looking at the Twitter feed.

What happened? O'Neill and Collins seemed to cause us lots of problems looking at the Twitter feed.

Gallagher tried a short kick out, it got intercepted and O'Neill got a goal but to be fair Gallaghers kick out's all game were not the best to say the least, i dont remember us winning a kick out and rarely a break, it was just terrible stuff all game.

We'll probably finish well with a win vs. Louth and possibly Down, but so far this year we actually look worse than last season.

I've said it before that I think people got somewhat carried away with Andy McEntee. Some seemed to be licking their lips at the prospect of a tough manager punishing and berating our team into playing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Certainly going through tough times at the moment.

All I can say is that we have a lot of inexperienced, new lads on the panel and it was always going to take time to adjust. I can only assume Padraig McKeever was carrying a knock for him not to be involved yesterday until the very end.

We need to win our last 2 games and put in a performance. While gaining promotion this year was always a big ask, getting relegated would be catastrophic.

Missed yesterday again, possibly thankfully. I don't know what to think about them anymore, regardless of who is on the line surely to God we've better footballers than the performances this year show. There's a myriad of issues with Meath football at the minute, how do you even begin to fix it.

Folks what's the bloody rush with the A league this year? Our game against Colmcilles was meant to be on the same night Meath v Cavan was postponed, only it was called off due to a death in the village. It's being played tonight (I wouldn't put a milk bottle out in that tonight). Some teams have five games under their belts already and from what I've read there's hurling league this weekend too. Come the summer when the pitches and weather are decent and Meath are in the championship there'll be little or no games to be played. Mad stuff.

Also the underage go games are back since about two weeks ago. U7,8,9,10 being rushed out to play games and train at a time of year when the weather is awful and pitches are ****e. I know with one of our underage teams some of the parents didn't start their kids back when the team did in February because of the length of the year. If I remember right Go Games were played right into late October/November last year. It will put kids off games and is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

rpurfield wrote: »
    Folks what's the bloody rush with the A league this year? Our game against Colmcilles was meant to be on the same night Meath v Cavan was postponed, only it was called off due to a death in the village. It's being played tonight (I wouldn't put a milk bottle out in that tonight). Some teams have five games under their belts already and from what I've read there's hurling league this weekend too. Come the summer when the pitches and weather are decent and Meath are in the championship there'll be little or no games to be played. Mad stuff.

Also the underage go games are back since about two weeks ago. U7,8,9,10 being rushed out to play games and train at a time of year when the weather is awful and pitches are ****e. I know with one of our underage teams some of the parents didn't start their kids back when the team did in February because of the length of the year. If I remember right Go Games were played right into late October/November last year. It will put kids off games and is pointless.

ashbourne game called off up in dunganny tonight. snow and rain cancelled last week and will cancel this week as well.

If the weather wasnt so bad, wouldnt have a problem with it, from my own experience with kids in sport, athletics train all year, basketball train all year, karate train all year. I mean scale it down if ye want to 1 night but as an underage coach myself I do be keen to get back on the training ground after 2 weeks break. depends on the coach there and burnout.

Summer is mad for games, holidays play havoc with it, do it during school year whilst weather allows.

ashbourne game called off up in dunganny tonight. snow and rain cancelled last week and will cancel this week as well.

If the weather wasnt so bad, wouldnt have a problem with it, from my own experience with kids in sport, athletics train all year, basketball train all year, karate train all year. I mean scale it down if ye want to 1 night but as an underage coach myself I do be keen to get back on the training ground after 2 weeks break. depends on the coach there and burnout.

Summer is mad for games, holidays play havoc with it, do it during school year whilst weather allows.

Yeah I can see where there's an issue in the summer but I still think February and early March is soon enough, you could run them through April to June and again from September to October. I know from my own lads team they are pretty good at organising games outside the Go Game structure too

In the past, they've been criticized for completing the leagues to late and they seem to have gone to the other extreme now.

I think we're going to hit some trouble with the championship as it's quite possible that the Louth game will be postponed at the weekend meaning that we'll have to fit both the O'Byrne Cup final and the Louth game in April. Can't see the county board being able to fit more than one championship round into April if that's the case.

• Advertisement

In the past, they've been criticized for completing the leagues to late and they seem to have gone to the other extreme now.

I think we're going to hit some trouble with the championship as it's quite possible that the Louth game will be postponed at the weekend meaning that we'll have to fit both the O'Byrne Cup final and the Louth game in April. Can't see the county board being able to fit more than one championship round into April if that's the case.

Yeah it's also madness playing league games and finals in November, but there's a big enough chunk of time between Paddy's weekend and October to run them off in, especially when you don't need county players for the league games

Advertisement