Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Mad that we're in a final tomorrow and still dont know where it'll be played.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Felexicon wrote: »
    Congratulations man. Awaiting my first arrival in just over 3 weeks.
    Think of the feeling if Meath win the All Ireland and multiply it by infinite.
    Best of luck. You can't describe the feeling when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Meath v Westmeath game off. Some red faces in Leinster HQ I hope.

Shambolic.

Too late to suggest Croker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

whatnext wrote: »
    Meath v Westmeath game off. Some red faces in Leinster HQ I hope.

That'll be the day. Their thick skin doesn't do colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

How is this Leinster Council's fault?

All the games in the country (aside from college matches on artificial pitches) are off, so it made no difference where they scheduled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

All the games in the country (aside from college matches on artificial pitches) are off, so it made no difference where they scheduled it.

They looked to change it to Cusack Park :rolleyes:

Surprised they did not try to change it to Cusack Park Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I'd imagine they'll rearrange it too the same day as the FBD League Final. 18th of Feburary.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Maybe it's just me, but I just can't understand some people's outrage (or faux outrage) around this all week. Bizarre. GAA silly season in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

lot of crying over nothing
    leinster council now also control the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't understand the extent of the moaning. Would people rather it was postponed from Mullingar than Portlaoise?

Portlaoise is slightly inconvenient for the counties alright but that doesn't merit the strop being thrown by many supporters and our own management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Was actually wearing a blue and navy t-shirt when I visited yesterday. Picked her up and she promptly vomited all over it. Obviously disgusted by the colours already :pac:
    Cheers lads. Means my match going days will be rather limited but can't wait until she's old enough to bring to her first game.

Can't beat going with the kids, but be prepared to be cleaned out for sweets etc when she does start to go.

Personally I think it was an attempt by McEntee to get the auld siege mentality going like what Gavin did with Dublin and the Connolly incident last season.
    Don't get me wrong, Mullingar should have been the venue and would have drawn a decent crowd had the game gone ahead but the whole uproar over it was unnecessary.

Now the final will be an inconvenience coming between league rounds. Looking at the fixtures, we'll be playing 6 weekends in a row from this Sunday January 28th to March 4th.

You can't beat Leinster Council over the head with the weather to be fair to them. I'm glad it didn't go ahead in Mullingar to be honest, I wouldn't have went in the rain you'd be fairly likely to be soaked given how small the covered stand is there. As well as that I think I'm still drying out from the 09 qualifier down there too!! Don't get me wrong it's a nice ground but not when it's raining

Agreed. It is a fantastic little ground in good weather. Remember an O'Byrne Cup final played there ages ago. It was something like 16 or 17 degrees at the end of January and Cusack Park was completely full. They had to delay throw in because of the crowds.
    Ah the '09 game. Greatest point scored that you'll never see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hello everyone. I'm a Kerry man lost in Meath and starved of football action. Living in Ashbourne and I know they open their league campaign this Saturday evening but unfortunately I'm working.

Can anyone point me to a website where I can see all the fixtures so I can get to games when I can. Thanks.

The rain in 09 was biblical. That Joe point has gone down in Meath folklore ever since. Crazy no cameras on site for a championship derby match.
    Think the annoyance with Leinster Council came from initial bizarre venue choice to suit TG4 despite fan and team wishes. Getting called off just added a 'I told you so element' to it.
    To compound it all the refixture is same day as same counties meet in NHL but at different venues!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

dobman88 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm a Kerry man lost in Meath and starved of football action. Living in Ashbourne and I know they open their league campaign this Saturday evening but unfortunately I'm working.

Can anyone point me to a website where I can see all the fixtures so I can get to games when I can. Thanks.

You'll find everything on the county board website, meath.gaa.ie. Here's a link to the fixtures page: http://meath.gaa.ie/competition/?compid=8664

As Paul said, the Meath GAA website is probably your best bet. The Meath Hoganstand website also posts regular fixture updates.
    Your best bet is probably Curraha, Batterstown or Bellewstown on Sunday morning at 11am to catch a league game. The matches on Friday evening are in Nobler and Oldcastle which would be way too far to travel I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You could also hop across the border to see Fingal Ravens, Ballyboughal or Fingallians within 20 minutes of Ashbourne.

• Advertisement

Didn't even think about the fingal teams, even Ballymun kickhams aren't too far away.

That's all great info lads, appreciated. I've a soccer game on Friday night, I play for Ratoath (at home at 8pm if anyone likes a bit of soccer also) so should make Curraha on Sunday morning.

Thanks very much

While I'm here, can anyone give me any info on what Ashbourne GAA club is like? I'll be joining their junior team and the facilities look impressive but if anyone had some local inside knowledge that would be great.

Joined Ashbourne. Cracking facilities and seem like a nice bunch. Every fella that was there came over and introduced himself at some stage of training. Looking forward to it, don't have too long left playing so hopefully get a few games for myself this season.

Thanks for all the help above, hoping to make Curraha on Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Team named for Sunday, Menton captain for the year. Good choice I feel and best of luck to him, and all the lads for the year.

O’Sullivan at full forward is an interesting one. I still maintain he’s at his best being on the ball in the half forward line rather than relying on good service as a target man (whatever a target man is in the modern game😄). Mobile front 6 though and I would be surprised if numbers on jerseys didn’t exactly correspond to where players find themselves as the game goes on.

Up Meath!

Obrieski wrote: »
    Team named for Sunday, Menton captain for the year. Good choice I feel and best of luck to him, and all the lads for the year.

O’Sullivan at full forward is an interesting one. I still maintain he’s at his best being on the ball in the half forward line rather than relying on good service as a target man (whatever a target man is in the modern game��). Mobile front 6 though and I would be surprised if numbers on jerseys didn’t exactly correspond to where players find themselves as the game goes on.

Up Meath!

Can't see the forwards starting where they are named.Really important to get off to a good start but the bookies having Roscommon at 8/15 will tell you a lot.

Another complete collapse in injury time as in the Longford game by the sounds of it.

Only listened to it on the LMFM stream online, great to see a bit of fight to come back from being five down, but immensely frustrating to throw that lead away. Obviously I didn't see it to judge but seen some online commentary that the penalty was harsh. But equally we kicked enough wides to be well out the gate before it happened. On balance I'm happy with the point as I was expecting nothing from the game to be honest.

Good start for the hurlers too, although I only followed that one on the Twitter machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RockyRory

Padraig McKeever and tobin did great when they came on. Would've been a great win on the road only for that dodgy penalty. sayin that I'll take the draw.

One of those situations where I would taken a draw before the game and then very frustrated when the draw happens.
    Great for the hurlers to get another one over Kildare.
    1-10 from Jack Regan. Just sublime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

RockyRory wrote: »
    Padraig McKeever and tobin did great when they came on. Would've been a great win on the road only for that dodgy penalty. sayin that I'll take the draw.

You’re the first person I’ve heard complain about a clearly tactical foul in the box. A penalty on every field in Ireland.

We were on top for the first 60 but couldn’t win a kickout for the next ten minutes and that turned a five point lead into a four point deficit. A draw was as about as fair a result as you could get for both teams. At different stages both sides would have happily taken that outcome.

For me it was massive that Meath don’t have a tie-breaker over us. It could make all the difference at the end of the league.

Advertisement