Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

So they're looking for the greatest Meath moments on the WeAreMeath podcast:

What would your greatest moments that you experienced with Meath teams (or even your club team)?

In hurling, I think it's last year's Christy Ring final without a doubt. The atmosphere in what was such a small crowd was phenomenal. And to come from 8 down at half time, concede a goal with the last puck of normal time and still come back from 2 down with a couple of minutes left just typified the spirit of that team.

Football, I'm too young to remember the 4 game Dublin saga (to my eternal regret). Too young to appreciate the 1996 season. The moment I actually remember clearly was the replay against Kildare when Jody Devine dragged us back into the game in extra time. It will always be my opinion that if either ourselves or Kildare had won the first game of that saga, they would have won the All Ireland. Not a chance Meath or Kildare would have lost to Offaly with a full, rested team.
    The semi final wins against Tyrone and Mayo in 2007/9 respectively were fantastic performances against teams that expected to easily beat us. The 2010 win over Dublin was just surreal. Remember going into it with the most monumental of hangovers and by the end of the game, it was long gone.

One criticism about the podcast is that, given they have a county board official helping out, there's never going to be anything controversial said and definitely not going to be anything said to criticize the county board. An example was their comments on the pitch for the senior final. While I agree that it is a great pitch most of the time, there was definitely something wrong with it that afternoon given the amount of players losing their footing in both games. Might be an idea to get a different person on the panel every now and again.

Ollie Murphy's goal v Westmeath in '01 & the Kerry game in '01 for me, a team full of legends absolutely dominated in a Semi Final.
    Too young to remember '99. Was on the Hill for the Dublin game in '10, was with my mates who are Dubs, was a very good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

both christy ring finals were just out of this world
    you couldnt have made them up
    if the football team done it they would make a film about it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The semi final win against Tyrone will always stick with me. Not just the performance but the fact that every time Geraghty went on a run my mates dad kept proclaiming to all around us that "It's a Rolls Royce engine powering that lad not flesh and blood"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

There's loads, I've already Tweeted them with Joe Sheridan's volley against Westmeath in 09, granted it was nothing major but the fact it wasn't on TV at all, even in highlights adds to it for me.

Over the years there's been loads for me. That 96 semi final was brilliant as mentioned, the Kildare games in 97, putting Offaly back in their box in 98, pretty much all of 9, beating the Dubs and Kerry in 01, Tyrone (again) in 07 and Mayo in 09. Even little things stick out like my first game in Croker was the Donegal semi final in 1990, didn't miss a game then in 91 and even though it's ages ago now there's loads of little things that stick with me, you could write a book.

I'd agree with Hammer though, the All Ireland in 97 was left behind I'm utterly convinced of it, I remember getting on the pitch after the Leinster final and Martin O'Connell was on the Meath bench, he couldn't move but was still togged out. If we got that Offaly team with a full deck available we'd ave beaten them.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Won't go down as a great moment. But it's a stand out moment for me.

Centenary Cup quarterfinal win v Galway.
    Something changed that day. I wasn't even a teenager but can vividly remember the Meath fans leaving that game with an air of expectation.

Galway were AI finalists the year before and we'd beaten them by 13 points.

I can't find a report on the game but the Galway players couldn't stick the Meath intensity, they were just bouncing off them all over the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Winning the back to back All Irelands in 87 and 88 stand out for me, I would have been 14 and remember the oul lad played the tapes of those games to death on the VHS player.
    That team is legendary and what I remember most was they didn't look like losing, ever! They had a mental toughness and a swagger that reminded me of the good Kerry teams that came before them.
    Was in the Canal End when we won the 4 game series against the Dubs in '91 as well, but winning in 87 will always be "special" for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Simonstown beat Starlights 1-12 to 8. They'll play St. Lomans in the semi final. Massive chance of winning Leinster (along with the other three teams) now that Vincent's are out.

Kilmessan camogie team are through to the All Ireland junior final with an easy 5-15 to 0-2 win over Cavan champions Crosserlough. They'll play Clanmaurice of Kerry in the final.

O'Byrne and Walsh Cup draws have been made. No more third level sides in either competition.
    Footballers are drawn with Carlow and Wicklow.
    Hurlers drawn with Antrim and Dublin.

O'Byrne and Walsh Cup draws have been made. No more third level sides in either competition.
    Footballers are drawn with Carlow and Wicklow.
    Hurlers drawn with Antrim and Dublin.

Three group of three and one group of two :rolleyes:

Big article on the redevelopment of Pairc Tailteann in the Chronicle this week, it's interesting to a point but it also doesn't say a lot. There's a open day in O'Mahoney's on the 29th with the plans on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

When was last time Dublin and Meath played senior hurling game?

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    When was last time Dublin and Meath played senior hurling game?
    Think we played each other in the championship around 2002 (after we beat Laois with the last minute goal in Navan).
    We were in division 1 of the league for two years back in the early 2000s also as far as I can remember. Beat ye the first year in division 1 I think (good auld foot and mouth got Antrim relegated that year if I remember correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Thought it was even longer ago than that. Would have been in same league at some stage. Have newspaper photo somewhere of Boylan playing in game against Dublin when uncle was playing. Guess it would have been late 60s.

Played with chap from Broardsmill who used always wear jersey at training. Tough fker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I've never bought the "support Meath clubs in Leinster" line, but went to watch Kiltale today hoping for a good match.

Wasn't to be unfortunately. St. Patrick's went for the throat form the off and were 10 points up before 15 minutes had gone. Try as they might Kiltale never got closer despite getting 2 goals.

Really disappointing result for Kiltale. They've gone so close to beating the Kilkenny champions for the past 3 years, I thought that they would have been well up for it. The whole "celebration" hoo-haa with Ballyragget could have actually been a blessing in disguise for them. They look like waltzing to the Leinster title.

Disappointing result for Curraha as well. Goals win games unfortunately and they were beaten 3-7 to 15 points by Ballyboughal.

Really disappointing result for Kiltale. They've gone so close to beating the Kilkenny champions for the past 3 years, I thought that they would have been well up for it. The whole "celebration" hoo-haa with Ballyragget could have actually been a blessing in disguise for them. They look like waltzing to the Leinster title.

Disappointing result for Curraha as well. Goals win games unfortunately and they were beaten 3-7 to 15 points by Ballyboughal.

I was following the Curraha game through Twitter, it seemed every time they got a bit of pressure on and closed the gap they conceded a goal. Tough one for them to take, Ballyboughal got the Dublin representative gig as the last first team standing, the best I can make out of the results on the Dublin GAA website is they were bet in the quarter finals. At the same time it might be no loss to Curraha, I've a feeling the bit of a struggle the Cilles had in the SFC this year was down to them being on the road for two years constant with getting to the All Ireland final.

rpurfield wrote: »
    I was following the Curraha game through Twitter, it seemed every time they got a bit of pressure on and closed the gap they conceded a goal. Tough one for them to take, Ballyboughal got the Dublin representative gig as the last first team standing, the best I can make out of the results on the Dublin GAA website is they were bet in the quarter finals. At the same time it might be no loss to Curraha, I've a feeling the bit of a struggle the Cilles had in the SFC this year was down to them being on the road for two years constant with getting to the All Ireland final.
    Yeah the lack of a break really hit Cilles hard this year as it did with Ratoath last year. Think that they can stay up though depending on the group they're drawn in.
    Dunboyne ladies are through to another All Ireland final after beating Latton O'Rahilly of Monaghan 3-18 to 1-3 in the IFC semi final. They'll play Kinsale in the final for hopefully their second all Ireland title in three years.

Tispin has called it a day with the Meath hurlers. Fantastic servant throughout the years and still showed his worth in his latter years with his 92nd minute winner against Antrim.

Normal service resumes for Meath teams in the Leinster club SFC. Simonstown crashed out against St. Lomans 13 points to 1-8 in Mullingar. They were 1-4 to no score up after just 15 minutes but only managed 2 points in the second half.
    Kilmessan camare going to a replay in their All Ireland final with a last minute goal against Clanmaurice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

What do you lads make of the PT redevelopment? I've only seen the pictures in the last few days and it was a lot more then I was expecting

What do you lads make of the PT redevelopment? I've only seen the pictures in the last few days and it was a lot more then I was expecting

If it's followed through it will be brilliant, but to be honest I'm concerned that it won't be. While I think there's no need to be riding the clubs for fundraising I think they will bottle giving it any support as well. Lets just say what happened with the championship restructures could be an indicator.

• Advertisement

I can't see it going all the way through somehow. And personally I don't really like the idea of having all four sides seated. I'd like to have at least one end terraced. To be honest, if they can even get a full length seated stand to replace the ancient one (with no feckin poles in the way) and get proper terraces at both ends I'd be happy. Oh, and floodlights again.

Kilmessan play their All Ireland Camogie final replay against Clanmaurice in Silvermines tomorrow at 1:15pm.
    Dunboyne play Kinsale in the All Ireland Intermediate ladies' football final at 1:45pm tomorrow in Parnell Park.

Two All Ireland wins in one day. Kilmessan won the junior camogie title with a 9 points to 5 victory.
    Dunboyne won what looked like a thriller in Parnell Park against Kinsale. A point with 6 minutes left won the IFC championship 2-13 to 2-12.

Very well done to both clubs! Fantastic year for Meath ladies football and camogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Two All Ireland wins in one day. Kilmessan won the junior camogie title with a 9 points to 5 victory.
    Dunboyne won what looked like a thriller in Parnell Park against Kinsale. A point with 6 minutes left won the IFC championship 2-13 to 2-12.

Very well done to both clubs! Fantastic year for Meath ladies football and camogie.

Thanks for all the updates Hammer. Much appreciated. Heartiest congratulations to Kilmessan and Dunboyne. You did yourselves and the county proud.

So the senior team seems in a bit of a mess. Last night Fergal lynch was reporting that David Gallagher was in as back up to Joe Sheridan, now Joe has dropped himself off the panel due to other commitments. I'd seriously question the judgement that sees a lad of 39 brought back in, especially when he plays outfield for his club. Are keepers in Meath really that bad? http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2017/12/13/4149725-shock-as-joe-sheridan-brings-intercounty-career-to-an-end-/

Not sure if Burlingham is on the panel but I couldn't blame him if he decided not to make himself available. Must be baffling for a player to be dropped from the panel while the backup keeper is a full forward who's never played in goals before.
    I give up if Gallagher is brought in. Honestly, he was not good enough 5 years ago when he handed Laois the game in Tullamore.

I thought it was desperate when Banty was asking Darren Fay and Graham Geraghty back in May 2011.

Then a few months later David Gallagher was asked in to play in 2012. All the talk was "stop gap" "one last year" "only a dig out for Banty" etc.

Now a full 6 years later he's being asked in again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

We're getting relegated arent we.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

First squad of the season announced

Meath senior football squad: Eamon Wallace, Brian Power, Joey Wallace, Conor McGill, Bryan McMahon, Cian O'Brien (all Ratoath); Brian Conlon, Mark McCabe, Podge McKeever, Sean Tobin (all Simonstown); David Gallagher, Shane McEntee, Seamus Lavin, Donal Lenihan (all Dunboyne); Andy Colgan, Sean Curran, Bryan Menton (Ashbourne); Paddy Kennelly, Conor Dempsey, Luke Martyn (Dunderry); Robert Garry, Caolach Halligan, Donal Keoghan (Rathkenny); Shane Glynn, Dan O'Neill, Thomas O'Reilly (Wolfe Tones); Graham Reilly, Ben Brennan (St Colmcillies); Dave Toner, James McEntee (Curraha); Alan Douglas, Luke Moran (Trim); Harry Rooney, Eoghan Greene (Skryne); Mickey Burke (Longwood); Liam Ferguson (Gaeil Colmcille); Barry Dardis (Summerhill); Adam Flanagan (Clonard); Daragh Griffin (Athboy); Adam McDermott (Dunshauglin); Cillian O'Sullivan (Moynalvey).

A good few losses from last year but there is decent talent there all the same.

Hopefully they can maintain Div 2 status in the league and, hopefully, be in the shakeup for promotion come the last round but maintenance of status is the big hope and I think that squad can provide this.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but that doesn't look like a panel which will get promoted.

• Advertisement

Is Andy Colgan the second keeper in the squad? Was he away for the year because I can't see him ever playing for the Donaghmore/Ashbourne seniors this year. He was the keeper for their B team last year.

I'm baffled by Andy's picks for goalkeeper yet again.

Advertisement