Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

not good enough to be anywhere else
    its the level we are at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

sc86 wrote: »
    not good enough to be anywhere else
    its the level we are at

Mmmmmmmmmmm it is and it isn't. We were a kick of a ball against Donegal from going up in 2016 and we would have went up this year only for a horror show against Down. We definitely have the team to get promotion but I do think we could very easily go winless in a Division 1 campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While we've been painfully close, you could just as easily say a point less vs. Galway or Cork and we'd have been out before the final round.

We are where we belong in division 2, but we've seen some very similar division 2 teams go on a good run and get promoted in the last few years, even if they were division 1 for 1 or 2 years. No reason why we can't do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Four aways, it's going to be a tough run, really need the boost of promotion to be going somewhere though. Any idea when the footballers will be back in training?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

We've come close the last two campaigns but would almost certainly have went/gone down both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

dont see what a year in div 1 getting hammered will do to help things

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

sc86 wrote: »
    dont see what a year in div 1 getting hammered will do to help things
    We may get hammered in division 1. We may not. Roscommon got to the semi final in their first year in division 1. Donegal only missed out on this year's final on score difference.
    I'd rather us give it a go rather than piss about in division 2 indefinitely.

Simonstown through to the final as expected. The goals won it for them against Wolfe Tones. 4-9 to 1-13 it finished. Looking at the highlights on eir Sport's Twitter, Tones could have had an equalising goal in injury time only for Simonstown to go straight down the other end and get the winning goal.

Navan O'Mahony's easily through to the Leinster JHC quarter final. They beat Wolfe Tones of Longford 7-18 to 3-6. Tougher task awaits against John Lockes of Kilkenny in the next round.

Duleek/Bellewstown are Junior C champions after beating Blackhall Gaels 1-9 to 1-6.

Kildalkey won the Brendan Davis Cup beating Killyon 0-23 to 0-13.

Longford it is. First time since 95?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So enter quals in Rd 2 after Dublin defeat and lose to an ulster team zzzzzz

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    So enter quals in Rd 2 after Dublin defeat and lose to an ulster team zzzzzz
    You can't just go and break a tradition....

Bit late but good to see Ollie Murphy still knocking points over. He got 4 for Carnaross in the Junior D football final last week.

Navan O'Mahony's play John Lockes of Kilkenny in the Leinster IHC quarter final in Navan tomorrow. Massive ask for them.
    Meath Hill make their bow in Leinster as they play Glen Emmets of Louth in Drogheda tomorrow as well.

Meath Hill through to the next round of the Leinster JFC. They beat Glen Emmets 14 points to 11. They'll play Erin Rovers (Offaly) or Ballymore Eustace (Kildare) in the semi final.

Jaysus Curraha are walking the IFC final. 1-17 to 0-07 with less than 5 to go.

As expected, Ultan's got the result they needed against Longwood with the latter already safe from relegation. Ballivor drop to Junior for 2018.

Jaysus Curraha are walking the IFC final. 1-17 to 0-07 with less than 5 to go.

As expected, Ultan's got the result they needed against Longwood with the latter already safe from relegation. Ballivor drop to Junior for 2018.

Didn't go in because the aul lad decided not to go and I didn't fancy the trip but the brother was at it and text to say Curraha were streets ahead and fully deserved it. They seem to have a really good crop of players about at the minute.

On another note, anyone been listening to the We Are Meath podcast? I'd a couple of long drives with work in the last week and listened to them, well worth a listen. It's mostly reviews and previews but it will be interesting to see what they do when the volume of games eases off. We're well served with media and online etc at the minute, if only the on field product was as good!!

rpurfield wrote: »
    Didn't go in because the aul lad decided not to go and I didn't fancy the trip but the brother was at it and text to say Curraha were streets ahead and fully deserved it. They seem to have a really good crop of players about at the minute.

On another note, anyone been listening to the We Are Meath podcast? I'd a couple of long drives with work in the last week and listened to them, well worth a listen. It's mostly reviews and previews but it will be interesting to see what they do when the volume of games eases off. We're well served with media and online etc at the minute, if only the on field product was as good!!
    Curraha have had some very good underage teams over the last 5-10 years so this is the fruits of that. McEntee and Moriarty have done exceptionally well this season. I can see Moriarty being given a chance with the county team next year. Did not expect them to win by that much to be honest. Michael's obviously just didn't show up on the day.
    There will be some amount of local derbies in senior next year. Would love to see Ratoath and Curraha in the same group.

Haven't listened to the We Are Meath podcast yet. Will do over the next week as I've heard good things.

Would love to see Ratoath and Curraha in the same group.

And Ashbourne ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Can anyone tell me how Blackhall Gaels manage to sustain a senior football team on the underage system they have? I've never seen their U21 team any higher than the bottom grade (U21C) and even then they rarely seem to win much.

Same with minor, they have to amalgamate with Moynalvey to field, and even then are at the bottom of division 4. At U17 they played in division six this year.

I know underage and senior success aren't directly connected, but it's still a strange situation to be a senior club yet have all your underage teams scraping along the bottom divisions.

And Ashbourne ;)

Nah I don't like Don/Ash ;) Given that a good chunk of Curraha's players play hurling from Ratoath, we can tolerate them.
    Can anyone tell me how Blackhall Gaels manage to sustain a senior football team on the underage system they have? I've never seen their U21 team any higher than the bottom grade (U21C) and even then they rarely seem to win much.

Same with minor, they have to amalgamate with Moynalvey to field, and even then are at the bottom of division 4. At U17 they played in division six this year.

I know underage and senior success aren't directly connected, but it's still a strange situation to be a senior club yet have all your underage teams scraping along the bottom divisions.

I think they're bound to struggle in the coming years. But at the moment, they still have a relatively strong spine to their team with Tobin, Alan Nestor, Paddy Brady and Tadgh Brosnan. So far that's enough to keep them in senior. They have been steadily declining in recent times though. They haven't made the knockout stages in nearly 10 years and obviously got dragged into a relegation playoff this year. Thankfully, for their sake, Duleek/Bellewstown were a slightly worse than them.
    With no apparent young talent coming through I'd agree that it's probably only a matter of time before they start dropping. Epitomises the senior championship at the moment that teams can cling onto their senior status year after year by only winning one game.

O'Mahony's well beaten by John Lockes of Kilkenny in the Leinster JHC. They had a mini revival in the second half after being 4-13 to 1-4 down at half time. Eventually they lost 4-20 to 2-12.

Clann na nGael ladies lost to Cuala in the Leinster JFC final 4-8 to 1-7.

The Dunboyne ladies however are Leinster champions again after beating St. Maurs in the IFC final 3-12 to 1-11. They're looking to add the All Ireland IFC title to the JFC title they won a couple of years ago.

Congrats to Simonstown. Better team on the day but it was yet another poor quality final. Lots of mistakes and poor shooting from both sides. McEntee wouldn't have seen much that impressed him I'd wager.

Ratoath are minor champions again :D Surprisingly comfortable 6 point win over Na Fianna. Second final loss in a row for Na Fianna.

• Advertisement

Summerhill will feel that they let that one get away, kicked some awful wides when they were on top after half time, including the 13 metre free that probably landed in the O'Mahonys car park, let alone gifting a goal. Taking Brian Conlon off in the first half and moving Nash onto Barry Dardis took him out of the game too and Summerhill didn't move as well.

Fair play to Ratoath, I only got in for the last ten minutes of it but they looked good. Special mention to their 4 and 9 who went out of their way to go around the NaFianna players before they went celebrating.

Summerhill will feel that they let that one get away, kicked some awful wides when they were on top after half time, including the 13 metre free that probably landed in the O'Mahonys car park, let alone gifting a goal. Taking Brian Conlon off in the first half and moving Nash onto Barry Dardis took him out of the game too and Summerhill didn't move as well.

Fair play to Ratoath, I only got in for the last ten minutes of it but they looked good. Special mention to their 4 and 9 who went out of their way to go around the NaFianna players before they went celebrating.
    Very good team performance from Ratoath. Tom Fadden and Conall Ahearne were kept very quiet (1 point between the two of them) but still had plenty of scores from elsewhere. Probably should have won by more. Missed a lot of goal chances.

Ronan Jones and Ruairí O'Coileáin are gone from the panel. Heard rumours that they won't be the only ones. Heard Keogan could also be pulling out.

Paddy O'Rourke the latest to go with Harnan missing the beginning of 2018 to go travelling.
    They won't be the last I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

POR doesn't worry me but the others and the Keogan rumour is disappointing. Not looking forward to 2018. Not one bit.

All due respect to Paddy I've always felt he wasn't the best keeper in the county, but it is a lot of experience to be losing. We'll miss the other three too, Ronan Jones looked a real talent and Ruair'Coile had some good cameos last year. Podge Harnan will be a lost with his experience too and if Keogan goes it will be a huge loss. But at the same time I can see why they would head off, it's a lot of commitment for very little reward unless your playing for the Dubs, Mayo, Kerry or Tyrone.

Has anyone listened to the We Are Meath interview with Conor Nash. If you haven't do, it's excellent. We were never going to see him playing senior for Meath he had an offer from Leinster too and you'd wonder if he was interested in playing for Meath at all, he's asked at one stage who he looked up to growing up and he went for Ronan O'Gara then Ronaldo and when asked for a GAA one had a long hard think before Shane O'Rourke was basically prompted out of him!! That's not a dig at him he's a fantastic talent and I hope he does well in the Ozzie rules.

All due respect to Paddy I've always felt he wasn't the best keeper in the county, but it is a lot of experience to be losing. We'll miss the other three too, Ronan Jones looked a real talent and Ruair'Coile had some good cameos last year. Podge Harnan will be a lost with his experience too and if Keogan goes it will be a huge loss. But at the same time I can see why they would head off, it's a lot of commitment for very little reward unless your playing for the Dubs, Mayo, Kerry or Tyrone.

Has anyone listened to the We Are Meath interview with Conor Nash. If you haven't do, it's excellent. We were never going to see him playing senior for Meath he had an offer from Leinster too and you'd wonder if he was interested in playing for Meath at all, he's asked at one stage who he looked up to growing up and he went for Ronan O'Gara then Ronaldo and when asked for a GAA one had a long hard think before Shane O'Rourke was basically prompted out of him!! That's not a dig at him he's a fantastic talent and I hope he does well in the Ozzie rules.

Was a very good interview alright. I got the same feeling from him that playing senior football for Meath wasn't going to be top of his priority had he not gone Down Under. And to be honest, I wouldn't blame him. Didn't realise he was such a smart fecker as well.
    Pity they didn't have any sort of review of the previous weekend's matches on the podcast. Maybe Brennan had too much of a sore head.

Paddy O'Rourke dropping out conflicts me. I'd agree that there are better keepers, but I actually think he was having a very good season up until the championship. During the league, his kickouts were flawless and his height always seemed to help him save a few points here and there. Hannigan was in goals for Meath in the league game against Kildare and he didn't set the world alight. I thought his kickouts in that game put us under much more pressure than Paddy's did. I just hope that the ridiculous situation of Joe as sub goalkeeper has run it's course. We need two dedicated keepers on board that are pushing each other for the number one spot.

2 from 3 in the Leinster club championship games today.
    Meath Hill's quest for a Leinster title is over after they were beaten by Erin Rovers of Offaly 4-8 to 2-10.
    Curraha march on to the IFC semi final after scraping by O'Connell's of Louth 2-7 to 12 points. They'll play either Emo of Laois of Ballyboughal of Dublin in the semi final (their game was a draw).
    And Kiltale won their Leinster IHC quarter final against the Harps of Laois 1-22 to 1-17. They'll play the now famous St. Pat's Ballyragget of Kilkenny in the semi final. It'll be the fourth year running that they've come up against a Kilkenny team in Leinster. Hopefully it won't end as the previous three as it's been all that's stood in the way of them and a Leinster title (and possibly an All Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

To be fair to him who has there been for his generation to look up to? We've reached 2 semi finals since '01 I think, nobody that's played since then is anywhere near the same bracket as guys like Geraghty, Giles etc. to look up to

Anyone have the draws for the U21 championships? The Meath website still shows the 2016 championships.

To be fair to him who has there been for his generation to look up to? We've reached 2 semi finals since '01 I think, nobody that's played since then is anywhere near the same bracket as guys like Geraghty, Giles etc. to look up to

Fair point but what I'd taken from it was playing GAA was something he done because his mates did, it wasn't high up his list of priorities to be going watching Meath in his spare time. I've no issue with that at all now, the lad is just insanely talented, he could probably have turned his hand to any sport and been good at it.

• Advertisement

So they're looking for the greatest Meath moments on the WeAreMeath podcast:

What would your greatest moments that you experienced with Meath teams (or even your club team)?

In hurling, I think it's last year's Christy Ring final without a doubt. The atmosphere in what was such a small crowd was phenomenal. And to come from 8 down at half time, concede a goal with the last puck of normal time and still come back from 2 down with a couple of minutes left just typified the spirit of that team.

Football, I'm too young to remember the 4 game Dublin saga (to my eternal regret). Too young to appreciate the 1996 season. The moment I actually remember clearly was the replay against Kildare when Jody Devine dragged us back into the game in extra time. It will always be my opinion that if either ourselves or Kildare had won the first game of that saga, they would have won the All Ireland. Not a chance Meath or Kildare would have lost to Offaly with a full, rested team.
    The semi final wins against Tyrone and Mayo in 2007/9 respectively were fantastic performances against teams that expected to easily beat us. The 2010 win over Dublin was just surreal. Remember going into it with the most monumental of hangovers and by the end of the game, it was long gone.

One criticism about the podcast is that, given they have a county board official helping out, there's never going to be anything controversial said and definitely not going to be anything said to criticize the county board. An example was their comments on the pitch for the senior final. While I agree that it is a great pitch most of the time, there was definitely something wrong with it that afternoon given the amount of players losing their footing in both games. Might be an idea to get a different person on the panel every now and again.

Advertisement