Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

MHC B final switched to Clones on Saturday at 5pm

Ladies footballers play Tipperary in Semple Stadium also on Saturday on 4:45pm. The match is live on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

That's quite an exciting team. Need to keep up the progress of the last few years.

McGowan / Uniflu has helped here no doubt - he's been a massive support to Meath Hurling, nice to see thing going so well for him in Ratoath.

Interesting to see two world class S&C / Sprints coaches involved in Meath GAA, Coughlan and McDonagh.

Key to the progression of Meath hurling is the retention of their status in Leinster and not dropping down to the Christy Ring, or at a decent level in any proposed new tier system. That's all down to the will of the county board to push it, which going on past experience, mightn't be great.

More hurling success! Minor hurlers are B All Ireland champions. They've beaten Down 3-20 to 2-19.
    Donaghmore Ashbourne all but out of the SFC after being beaten by Kells (who make the quarter finals for the third year in a row).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Well done to the minor hurlers. Hope CB does all it can to nurture these lads and see them through to senior.

Sunday's results so far
    SFC
    Moynalvey 3-14 Blackhall Gaels 1-10
    Simonstown 0-12 Simonstown 0-7

IFC
    St. Michael's 1-15 Longwood 1-14
    Trim 2-14 Drumbaragh 1-6
    Oldcastle 2-11 Walterstown 0-14

NOM in danger of missing out on the knockout stages for the second year in a row after being beaten by Simonstown. BHG all but guaranteed of a relegation playoff.

In the IFC, Walterstown lose again and could be in a relegation playoff depending on their last result.
    Group B in the IFC is a bit mad. 3 teams on 5 points and 2 teams on 4.

• Advertisement

SFC
    Ratoath 1-14 Skryne 0-11
    St. Peter's Dunboyne 2-23 Na Fianna 1-15
    Seneschalstown 1-14 St. Colmcilles 1-13

Big statement of intent from Dunboyne. We struggled against Skryne's blanket defence (as well as with our mounting injury list) but eventually got the job done. Skryne need to beat Dunshaughlin if they're to avoid a relegation playoff.
    Colmcilles are still in danger after Joe Sheridan's last minute point won it for Seneschalstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭rpurfield

SFC
    Ratoath 1-14 Skryne 0-11
    St. Peter's Dunboyne 2-23 Na Fianna 1-15
    Seneschalstown 1-14 St. Colmcilles 1-13

Big statement of intent from Dunboyne. We struggled against Skryne's blanket defence (as well as with our mounting injury list) but eventually got the job done. Skryne need to beat Dunshaughlin if they're to avoid a relegation playoff.
    Colmcilles are still in danger after Joe Sheridan's last minute point won it for Seneschalstown.

What's going on with Skryne at all? I missed our game against them you wouldn't have had them down for being in this sort of trouble. Hope we can do the business tonight against Dunshaughlin and leave the two of them to it!

rpurfield wrote: »
    What's going on with Skryne at all? I missed our game against them you wouldn't have had them down for being in this sort of trouble. Hope we can do the business tonight against Dunshaughlin and leave the two of them to it!
    They haven't had any real decent underage teams for a while as far as I know. They've been gradually falling back over the last number of years.
    Like against Dunboyne, they were doing OK for the first two-thirds of the game before collapsing. They failed to score for the last 20 minutes or so yesterday.
    I can't see them beating Dunshaughlin. I'd even doubt they'd beat Blackhall. All it'd take is one nightmare game against Duleek and they'd be down.

How's the heart, rpurfield?

Hearts grand, an awful night for a game, had to adjourn to the car at half time for my beanie! Both sides kicked some awful wides but I thought we just about deserved it once we stopped kicking ball down on top of the biggest player on the pitch at every kickout! Just glad we're safe for another year it's a young enough team so keeping them at that level is key.

• Advertisement

Hearts grand, an awful night for a game, had to adjourn to the car at half time for my beanie! Both sides kicked some awful wides but I thought we just about deserved it once we stopped kicking ball down on top of the biggest player on the pitch at every kickout! Just glad we're safe for another year it's a young enough team so keeping them at that level is key.
    You've seen the stupidity of the stand in Ashbourne now. Never seen a "covered" stand that provides absolutely no cover when it's raining.
    Think ye have a great chance at making the knockout stages now. A draw against a Queeney-less Na Fianna would see ye through.

You've seen the stupidity of the stand in Ashbourne now. Never seen a "covered" stand that provides absolutely no cover when it's raining.
    Think ye have a great chance at making the knockout stages now. A draw against a Queeney-less Na Fianna would see ye through.

Yeah I'd a big umbrella so I stood out but everyone on the stand was basically huddled up against the glass of the bar for shelter! I'd be cautiously hopeful against NaFianna, but I'm really just glad we're not in the quagmire of the relegation play off especially as it really looks like the 'Cilles and Duleek will be in there, a local derby to stay up wouldn't be good on the heart

SHC quarter finals today in PT:
    Kildalkey v Ratoath, 4pm
    Kilmessan v Killyon, 5:30pm

Hoping we can keep our momentum going. Kildalkey didn't seem to be too impressive in their last game against Blackhall.
    Head says Kildalkey and Killyon will make the semis.

IHC quarters in Trim:
    Kildalkey v Rathmolyon, 1pm
    Gaeil Colmcille v Na Fianna, 2:30pm

Rathmolyon and Na Fianna should win those fairly handily.

Was at the JHC semi final between NOM and Ratoath last night in Dunganny. You'd think that a pitch hosting a county hurling semi final would at least have the grass cut.

Kildalkey with a rather flattering nine point win against Ratoath (2-14 to 0-11). We were 3 or 4 down with 10 left and missed 5 scorable frees in a row. Then conceded a soft last minute goal.

Kilmessan somehow leading by a point in the other quarter final. Killyon doing all the hurling but Kilmessan scored 1-2 in the last 5 minutes of the half to go ahead.

Kildalkey and Na Fianna had wins in the IHC quarter finals.

Donaghmore Ashbourne knocked out. They got the result they needed against Duleek/Bellewstown (a 30 point win) but with Summerhill already having won the group, they obviously weren't going to put much effort into their game against Tones.

Donaghmore Ashbourne knocked out. They got the result they needed against Duleek/Bellewstown (a 30 point win) but with Summerhill already having won the group, they obviously weren't going to put much effort into their game against Tones.

Absolutely grim result for Duleek that, I don't know if they were down lads but it won't bode well for them going into the playoffs.

Absolutely grim result for Duleek that, I don't know if they were down lads but it won't bode well for them going into the playoffs.
    I would assume that they didn't care about that result. They were in the relegation playoff regardless.

Results from yesterday (and one from early today):
    SFC Group B
    Moynalvey 3-14 St. Colmcilles 2-13
    Simonstown 1-12 Blackhall Gaels 1-4
    Navan O'Mahony's 3-14 Seneschalstown 0-9

IFC Group C
    Syddan 1-12 Walterstown 2-9
    Oldcastle 2-10 Nobber 1-13
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne 0-14 St. Ultan's 1-9

IFC Group A
    Drumbaragh 3-8 Longwood 1-13

JFC Quarter Finals
    Moylagh 0-10 Wolfe Tones 0-7
    Clonard 3-8 Dunboyne 2-9
    Carnaross 0-14 Drumconrath 0-8

JFC B Semi Final
    Kilbride 1-10 Slane 0-12

NOM return to some form to make the preliminary quarter final against either St. Pat's or Na Fianna. Blackhall Gaels will join Duleek and one of Skryne/Dunshaughlin in the relegation playoff.

In the IFC, Oldcastle, Don/Ash reserves and Nobber make the knockout stages. Longwood, St. Ultans and Ballivor will contest the relegation playoff.

Only one B team left in the JFC (Summerhill are playing Meath Hill at the moment).
    In the Junior B, Kilbride (as far as I can see) have made it to their first adult championship final since their Keegan Cup win in 1971. They'll play Gaeil Colmcille in the final (barring a monumental comeback from Boardsmill in their semi final).

Other results:
    JFC Quarter Final
    Meath Hill 0-9 Summerhill 0-8
    Only 4 points scored in the entire second half in that one :o

JFC B Semi Final
    Gaeil Colmcille 3-15 Boardsmill 0-11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Not in the country but hearing the camogie team were robbed at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The ref just saved Cork's skin there. Meath on top , absolute disgrace the way she blew the final whistle.

• Advertisement

Did the referee actually blow it up just as she was taking a shot to score the winning point?? There'd be riots if that happened in a men's game.

Skryne will contest the relegation playoff. They were 1-11 to 1-3 up at half time but failed to score in the second half and lost 2-14 to 1-11.
    Na Fianna won their only game of the season so far yet are through to the knockout stages against NOM.
    Bit of a bizarre game in Navan. Dunboyne didn't look bothered for most of the second half. We should have been 10 up at one stage as we missed a good few goal chances. But we got top spot so Dunboyne will play Simonstown and we play Wolfe Tones.

Out of interest, who'd be the next longest team in Senior after Skryne? Seneschalstown or Summerhill possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Did the referee actually blow it up just as she was taking a shot to score the winning point?? There'd be riots if that happened in a men's game.

Skryne will contest the relegation playoff. They were 1-11 to 1-3 up at half time but failed to score in the second half and lost 2-14 to 1-11.
    Na Fianna won their only game of the season so far yet are through to the knockout stages against NOM.
    Bit of a bizarre game in Navan. Dunboyne didn't look bothered for most of the second half. We should have been 10 up at one stage as we missed a good few goal chances. But we got top spot so Dunboyne will play Simonstown and we play Wolfe Tones.

Out of interest, who'd be the next longest team in Senior after Skryne? Seneschalstown or Summerhill possibly?

She blew it up as she was about to take it but it was time and defender was on her so debatable whether shed had have got shot away if ref hadnt blown. Cracker of a match. As was senior.

I'm assuming the replay would be taken out of Croker which would be a shame.

Championship knockout games have been scheduled:

SFC
    Ratoath v Wolfe Tones, 22/9, 8pm, Ashbourne
    NOM v Na Fianna (prelim QF), 23/9, 4pm, Trim
    Moynalvey v Gaeil Colmcille, 24/9, 2pm, Navan
    Simonstown v Dunboyne, 24/9, 4pm, Navan

IFC
    Ballinabrackey v Nobber (prelim QF), 22/9, 7pm, Simonstown
    Curraha v Donaghmore/Ashbourne, 23/9, 5pm, Ratoath
    Kilmainham v St. Michael's, 23/9, 5pm, Moynalty
    Ballinlough v Ballinabrackey/Nobber, 24/9

JFC
    Moylagh v Clonard, 23/9, 5pm, Kildalkey
    Meath Hill v Carnaross, 24/9, 2.15pm, Navan

JFC B
    Kilbride v Gaeil Colmcille, 23/9, 3.30pm, Navan

I would assume that they didn't care about that result. They were in the relegation playoff regardless.

Surely you'd want to try to bring some momentum into the playoffs though regardles. I notice Duleek get two bites at the cherry too as do Blackhall, but not Skryne it's a mad system.

I'm still raging over the Pats game yesterday, kicked it away in the second half when we had the momentum, and also persisted with 13 behind the ball despite playing with a strong wind and chasing the game.

All told to go with the mad relegation system it also beggars belief that a team with one win and two draws and a scoring difference of minus ten can qualify from a group. Not NaFianna's fault now but I still think the championship set up is a big part of the reason we struggle with intercounty level and in the provincal club. A debate for another day.

Surely you'd want to try to bring some momentum into the playoffs though regardles. I notice Duleek get two bites at the cherry too as do Blackhall, but not Skryne it's a mad system.

I'm still raging over the Pats game yesterday, kicked it away in the second half when we had the momentum, and also persisted with 13 behind the ball despite playing with a strong wind and chasing the game.

All told to go with the mad relegation system it also beggars belief that a team with one win and two draws and a scoring difference of minus ten can qualify from a group. Not NaFianna's fault now but I still think the championship set up is a big part of the reason we struggle with intercounty level and in the provincal club. A debate for another day.

Skryne get two bites of the cherry if they need it. Duleek and Blackhall will play each other. The loser of that game plays Skryne. If Skryne win that game, then the loser is down regardless and there's no point in Skryne playing another game. However, if Skryne lost that game, they would then play the winner of the first game. The team with the worst record after 2 games each gets relegated. It opens up a can of worms if one of the games ends in a draw though.

We had a great chance to improve all the championships only for the clubs who originally voted for the change to collectively sh!t themselves and vote against it later on. Too many teams are happy to just survive in senior/intermediate and make hardly any effort to improve. As a result, there are probably 4 or 5 teams in senior that would likely struggle in intermediate and likewise between intermediate and junior.

Skryne get two bites of the cherry if they need it. Duleek and Blackhall will play each other. The loser of that game plays Skryne. If Skryne win that game, then the loser is down regardless and there's no point in Skryne playing another game. However, if Skryne lost that game, they would then play the winner of the first game. The team with the worst record after 2 games each gets relegated. It opens up a can of worms if one of the games ends in a draw though.

We had a great chance to improve all the championships only for the clubs who originally voted for the change to collectively sh!t themselves and vote against it later on. Too many teams are happy to just survive in senior/intermediate and make hardly any effort to improve. As a result, there are probably 4 or 5 teams in senior that would likely struggle in intermediate and likewise between intermediate and junior.

Ah that playoff thing makes more sense now, I thought it was a straight knockout to be honest which seemed mad. I'd agree with you on teams just floating along never making an impact, it does noone any good, I'd much prefer to see three championships where all the teams were capable of cutting each others throats so to speak

Navan O'Mahonys are junior hurling champions after beating Trim 2-13 to 1-11.
    Clann na nGael relegated to intermediate after their 3-10 to 1-14 loss to Boardsmill.

Kildalkey through to the SHC final after a quite frankly dreadful game against Dunboyne which they won by 1-12 to 14 points. While the conditions weren't great, the skill levels from both sides were atrocious.

Kiltale cruised through the second semi final against Kilmessan. Should really have won by more but they came through 2-17 to 0-15.
    They're just miles ahead of every other senior team in Meath. Should walk the final. Should be aiming at finally getting over the line in Leinster.

Heard that the SHC final clashes with the camogie final replay in Limerick.

Blackhall Gaels all but safe after a 1-13 to 2-6 win over Duleek. Skryne should have enough to stay up.
    Nobber beat Ballinabrackey 10 points to 9 in the IFC preliminary quarter final.

Blackhall Gaels all but safe after a 1-13 to 2-6 win over Duleek. Skryne should have enough to stay up.
    Nobber beat Ballinabrackey 10 points to 9 in the IFC preliminary quarter final.

It would be a major shock if Duleek beat Skryne. But the bit of badness in me hope they do and then Skryne play and beat Blackhall just to give the county board a headache :D

• Advertisement

Common sense prevails. The IHC and SHC finals will now be played on September 30th which leaves fans free to travel to Limerick for the Camogie final replay on Sunday October 1st.

Advertisement