Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Masterpiece / Masterpiece compatible Discussion.

1121315171826

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall


    This new wave of MP just make me long for the Binaltech line again.
    I can see Bumblebee there and prowl don't look that big by comparison.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    MarkHall wrote: »
    This new wave of MP just make me long for the Binaltech line again.
    I can see Bumblebee there and prowl don't look that big by comparison.


    Newer Masterpieces remind me that Binaltech toys were a little clunky, kibbly, often bore only moderate likeness to the characters they were referencing, and sometimes involved very poor repaint/retool choices for the sake of getting extra revenue out of a mold.

    Someone defend the Ram mold. Please. Maybe there's something to it that I missed, that saves it from being almost completely devoid of merit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall


    Whats the Ram Mould?


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    MarkHall wrote: »
    Whats the Ram Mould?

    Optimus.

    Your question makes me wonder how qualified you are to suggest the Binaltech line is superior to more recent Masterpiece offerings.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    MarkHall wrote: »
    Whats the Ram Mould?

    The Dodge Ram pickup truck was Optimus Prime and Nemesis Prime repaint.

    With Takara getting licenses again I wish they would bring it back. I would love to see Sideswipe as a present day Lamborghini next to my MP Sideswipe.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    Someone defend the Ram mold. Please. Maybe there's something to it that I missed, that saves it from being almost completely devoid of merit.

    Well once you changed it into robot mode it wouldn't change back into a truck for love nor money... Oh wait, that's not a good thing.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    Galvasean wrote: »
    Well once you changed it into robot mode it wouldn't change back into a truck for love nor money... Oh wait, that's not a good thing.


    It could..... it's just I'm not sure I could be bothered.

    On the other hand, the BT version has so much diecast, it may have other uses.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    It could..... it's just I'm not sure I could be bothered.

    On the other hand, the BT version has so much diecast, it may have other uses.

    People bought the BT version? I figured they would have bought the Kiss player version.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    People bought the BT version? I figured they would have bought the Kiss player version.

    Kiss Play: Better paint/deco than the Alternators version, but still in plastic, questionable accessories, packaging, and still at Binaltech prices,.

    Binaltech: Diecast. Lots of it. The Ram mold in diecast is heavy.

    I've slated the mold, and I've not changed my mind since.....but between the two iterations, I know which I prefer.


    Thing is, TT kind of took the choice away from people. Binaltech Convoy and Binaltech Asterisk Black Convoy were solicited by some Asian retailers, then 'cancelled' at which point Kiss Players was revealed.

    This was, IIRC, around the time Tomy took a controlling interest in Takara, and a point at which SRPs on Japanese TFs rose sharply.. Smacked heavily of taking the money and doing a runner.

    Of course, later on they released a Binaltech Black Convoy as a convention exclusive (no, not SDCC Nemesis Prime) and the afore mentioned Binaltech Convoy anyway.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    Kiss Play: Better paint/deco than the Alternators version, but still in plastic, questionable accessories, packaging, and still at Binaltech prices,.

    Binaltech: Diecast. Lots of it. The Ram mold in diecast is heavy.

    I've slated the mold, and I've not changed my mind since.....but between the two iterations, I know which I prefer.


    Thing is, TT kind of took the choice away from people. Binaltech Convoy and Binaltech Asterisk Black Convoy were solicited by some Asian retailers, then 'cancelled' at which point Kiss Players was revealed.

    This was, IIRC, around the time Tomy took a controlling interest in Takara, and a point at which SRPs on Japanese TFs rose sharply.. Smacked heavily of taking the money and doing a runner.

    Of course, later on they released a Binaltech Black Convoy as a convention exclusive (no, not SDCC Nemesis Prime) and the afore mentioned Binaltech Convoy anyway.

    Ahh Kiss players. Nothing says Mature Collector like having a Transformer with a jailbait figurine. Then ofcourse there was tentacle rape Megatron :mad:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    At least that never got an action figure... right?!?!? :eek:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    Galvasean wrote: »
    At least that never got an action figure... right?!?!? :eek:

    Thank God for small miracles. Can you imagine a Megatron with phallic like ton complete with jailbait Arkeville posed suggestively for the box art? Where's the puke smiley?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    Star Saber won the Takara fan choice poll.

    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/star-saber-wins-the-takara-tomy-masterpiece-fans-choice-poll-178798/

    I'm glad Star Saber won. The MP line has enough Prime's already.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Star Saber won the Takara fan choice poll.

    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/star-saber-wins-the-takara-tomy-masterpiece-fans-choice-poll-178798/

    I'm glad Star Saber won. The MP line has enough Prime's already.


    The winner was still (another) G1 Autobot leader.

    Not esp convinced about how real this poll actually was.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    The winner was still (another) G1 Autobot leader.

    Not esp convinced about how real this poll actually was.

    G-1 is the most iconic version so I'm not surprised that Takara are focusing on it for the MP line. I agree with one of the posters on that TFW page that the molds for all the characters are more than likely already made and we will get them at some stage.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,930 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne


    In fairness, Star Saber looks awesome and is pretty much a triple changer too, so I'm hyped to see what we get from a MP mold of SS.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    . I agree with one of the posters on that TFW page that the molds for all the characters are more than likely already made and we will get them at some stage.

    Molds are expensive to make... that said there's reportedly a lot of concept art for the Masterpiece line stored in Takara's offices.


    I'm not necessarily *against* a Masterpiece Star Saber, but some of TT collector focused efforts have smacked of cynicism so i'm sceptical.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    Got Bluestreak today. Anybody else having problems with the wing mirror panel? Mine doesn't want to fold all the way so I can bring up the shoulder. Its like it got glued in or something.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    Molds are expensive to make... that said there's reportedly a lot of concept art for the Masterpiece line stored in Takara's offices.

    True. Even if the didn't get to the molding stage they probably did make up the plans for them. I still have a feeling we'll see the rest at some stage.

    I'm not necessarily *against* a Masterpiece Star Saber, but some of TT collector focused efforts have smacked of cynicism so i'm sceptical.

    I know how you feel about it. Victory was my least favorite of the Japanese exclusive G-1 extension series. It was just gimmick overload. Star Saber himself had a couple of gimmicks on his own. He was a Brainmaster and combined with his "trailer" to form a Super Mode. Then later on he combined with Victory Leo [a reformatted Ginrai] as well.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Got Bluestreak today. Anybody else having problems with the wing mirror panel? Mine doesn't want to fold all the way so I can bring up the shoulder. Its like it got glued in or something.

    Try some Molybdenum grease? It's used on RC car gears, and shouldn't cause any actual damage. Maybe there's just debris lodged in there?

    As for Star/Victory Saber... I'm not annoyed at the prospect of a Masterpiece version.. I kinda just don't care very much.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    Try some Molybdenum grease? It's used on RC car gears, and shouldn't cause any actual damage. Maybe there's just debris lodged in there?

    Thanks. I'll pick some up and see if that does the trick. It feels its superglued into place.
    As for Star/Victory Saber... I'm not annoyed at the prospect of a Masterpiece version.. I kinda just don't care very much.

    I know what you mean. He wasn't my #1 choice. Armada/Energon/Cyberton are IMHO still too new to get the Masterpiece treatment [plus to me Energon Optimus is terrible. He looks more like a Power Rangers Megazord cast-off] So the only other options would be the remaining G-1 characters or Beast wars [I would like it if they added fur for the Gorilla mode and the inevitable Maximals] Plus with Big Convoy we'll get the inevitable Ultra Mammoth repaint [along with the apparently mandatory "Evil" Version. God i wish they do the reverse. I want a Shattered Glass Heroic Soundwave version. Complete with Headband]


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    I've always liked Starsaber in terms of design/toy, just never really thought much of the character.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall


    Only starsaber I have is from the Robot masters line. And it seems a very basic transformation and figure


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    MarkHall wrote: »
    Only starsaber I have is from the Robot masters line. And it seems a very basic transformation and figure

    Even the original, combined with Victory Leo, (imo) has little going for it other than size.

    But there's line art, which may be of a Masterpiece, doing the rounds.. it's got my attention just a little.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1




  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK


    But the thing was the poll was aimed mainly at the Japanese audience and they love Star Saber. It was a given he was going to win the poll by a long shot


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    DBK wrote: »
    But the thing was the poll was aimed mainly at the Japanese audience and they love Star Saber. It was a given he was going to win the poll by a long shot

    Most likely they had plans to make Star Saber so organised a poll they knew he'd win so they could say they had let the fans decide.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean


    I never really got Victory Saber actually. He essentially just used Victory Leo as a pair of shoes...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1


    Anybody get their MP-Smokescreen yet? Mine should be shipping from TFSource Today or Tomorrow.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop


    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Anybody get their MP-Smokescreen yet?

    Yup.

    Seriously floppy left arm for some reason.


Advertisement