Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland St Patricks Day 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

When TOL box kicked out of play for the second time. The body language of some of the players told its own story.
    Things are not right in he dressing room IMHO.
    Hardly surprising.
    Kidney should go. Do the honorable thing.

Never felt so low after a game.
    It was embarrassing at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

TOL was awful. It was really embarrassing for the lad. Reddan wasn't great but he at least did some things well.

The second ROG and TOL came on our chances of winning disappeared. It was a ludicrous substitution. We were getting hammered in the set piece, we needed to keep ball in hand... So we brought on TOL and ROG!? Laughable. The game just became an excercise in damage limitation at that point.

I agree about TOL but have to disagree about ROG, I assume Kideny has more faith in Sexton being at 12 than McFadden and he wanted Darcy off.
    OldRio wrote: »
    When TOL box kicked out of play for the second time. The body language of some of the players told its own story.

Did you see the body language when Reddan boxkicked when his runners were in a heap under the ruck and couldn't chase his kick.
    Things are not right in he dressing room IMHO.
    Hardly surprising.
    Kidney should go. Do the honorable thing.

Similar was said after the 2007 world cup I've yet to hear anything concrete though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

phog wrote: »
    I agree about TOL but have to disagree about ROG, I assume Kideny has more faith in Sexton being at 12 than McFadden and he wanted Darcy off.
    Why have McFadden there if he doesn't trust him? And if he's defensively suspect, how does ROG improve things?
    Did you see the body language when Reddan boxkicked when his runners were in a heap under the ruck and couldn't chase his kick.
    You have to boxkick to get out of defensively dangerous positions, the chase runners are secondary to getting the ball out of your own half. OTOH, kicking to touch on the full does not inprove matters in any way.
    Similar was said after the 2007 world cup I've yet to hear anything concrete though.
    You never will. The upshot of the 2007 RWC was an early exit by EOS after the 2008 6N, which was almost as bad a 6N as this one. There were comments made by the players after the 2009 grand slam that gave some insight into how bad things were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

TOL was absolutely pathetic. Not sure he has any business playing for Munster let alone Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

You disagree about ROG?? Everything he did turned to muck yesterday! He the worst player after O'Leary to bring on to chase a game. Funnily enough McFadden would have been an excellent player to bring on to chase a game as well.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    TOL was absolutely pathetic. Not sure he has any business playing for Munster let alone Ireland.

You could see from the body language that the players were not happy with him coming on.

9-6 before ROG and TOL came on.

You could see from the body language that the players were not happy with him coming on.

You do realise that neither were part of a crumbling scrum, dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't think ROG and TOL lost the game or anything like that, but they were completely the wrong people to bring on at the time, particularly TOL.

You make a very good point. I think you should tell Declan Kidney that. ;)

danthefan wrote: »

Are either of you suggesting we'd have won if Sexton and Reddan stayed at 10 & 9?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

We'd have been better of playing with 14 men yesterday instead of 15 with TOL.

Are either of you suggesting we'd have won if Sexton and Reddan stayed at 10 & 9?
    I know it isn't directed at me, but to me it just smacked of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic...

rrpc wrote: »
    I know it isn't directed at me, but to me it just smacked of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic...

I agree and if Kidney didn't make changes we'd have uproar today too, they didn't work, looking at the game yesterday if all 21 were on yesterday and Ross off injured I'd doubt we'd have won.

I agree and if Kidney didn't make changes we'd have uproar today too, they didn't work, looking at the game yesterday if all 21 were on yesterday and Ross off injured I'd doubt we'd have won.

I doubt there would be uproar if TOL wasn't brought on..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

TOL's awful passing hardly helped reduce the number of scrums.

We were 3pts down with a crumbling scrum before they came on.

I dont know what would have happened but I do know TOL cost us 14pts and that ROG gave away enourmous amounts of posession.

Both were awful and hopefully for the good of the national team, we never see either of them in green again.

And that's exactly what it looked like; doing something to be seen to be doing something.

It's almost as if he was listening to the RTE commentary and reacting to what they were saying. How they can advocate having ROG and Sexton on at the same time is beyond me. I cannot for the life of me see what it brings.

No. Theres uproar because Kidney brought on TOL and ROG. Two of the worst players possible to bring on to chase a game and two players who simply are not up to it at international level anymore.

Our scrum was a shambles but we were competitive before that. Those two contributed in a massive way to the problems we were already facing. TOL through being responsible for two tries and knock ons through his awful passing and ROG by giving the ball back to the English every time and throwing poor passes.

Well at least when TOL boxkicks the chasers can have a bit of a rest.
    Pointless chasing when the ball goes out on the full.

Well at least when TOL boxkicks the chasers can have a bit of a rest.
    Pointless chasing when the ball goes out on the full.
    Umm, no, they still have to chase to prevent a quick throw.

• Advertisement

I was been sarcastic to an earlier post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Right and you're a body language expert?

Forwards win games, backs decide by how much. And considering our forwards were getting destroyed by England at scrum time it was heartbreaking to see how wrecked they were after 50-60 minutes of play. Ever been involved in a constantly retreating scrum? It's energy sapping stuff.

You could have put the greatest back line in the world right now (including McFadden seeing as you rate him so highly) on in that second half and they still wouldn't have turned it around.

I was been sarcastic to an earlier post
    Sorry, I was somewhat tongue in cheek also. Your point was well made, I just wanted to take the small silver lining you'd found away from you. ;)

I rate McFadden so highly?

I said in another thread that he'll never be more than average at international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

TOL shoundt have been brought on at all unless Reddan was having a shocker and there was no alternative. But Reddan wasnt having a shocker, we replaced a great scrum half who wasnt playing to normal standards with a poor scrum half who shouldnt even realistically be making the wolfhounds and I dont think anyone is surprised at the result.

I agree with those who say they are embarrassed for TOL. Kidney has a knack for making players take the blame for his incompetence. TOL did what was asked of him, the problem was it should never have been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

You disagree about ROG?? Everything he did turned to muck yesterday! He the worst player after O'Leary to bring on to chase a game. Funnily enough McFadden would have been an excellent player to bring on to chase a game as well.

Same McFadden who has helped us concede 3 tries in his last two starts? He is a decent industrious winger at this level, but nothing more (currently).

I doubt there are many people here that would be able to answer this, but what is the difficulty in moving a regular Tight-Head to Loosehead? For example, could we have Hagan(just for eg.) on the bench as a natural Tight-Head, but if Healy gets injured he can fill in at Loose-Head?

Tight-Head is the far harder side to scrum on, so surely they could switch easy enough to the other side?

Maybe it would require a little practice, but it couldn't be that difficult, could it?

Right and you're a body language expert?

Forwards win games, backs decide by how much. And considering our forwards were getting destroyed by England at scrum time it was heartbreaking to see how wrecked they were after 50-60 minutes of play. Ever been involved in a constantly retreating scrum? It's energy sapping stuff.

You could have put the greatest back line in the world right now (including McFadden seeing as you rate him so highly) on in that second half and they still wouldn't have turned it around.
    I think that's the point. Your forwards are getting mullered to death, hanging on by their fingernails and losing and the coach's answer is to immediately put on a completely out of form SH and move your 10 to 12 to make way for another 10.

Confusion would be the lesser emotion experienced...

Same McFadden who has helped us concede 3 tries in his last two starts? He is a decent industrious winger at this level, but nothing more (currently).

Play him at 12 not 13, he has played and defended well in that position for Leinster, surely no more of a defensive liability than ROG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Tox56 wrote: »
    Play him at 12 not 13, he has played and defended well in that position for Leinster, surely no more of a defensive liability than ROG?

He doesn't have the passing game for 12 and isn't a great breaking threat there either. Sexton is a much better option there and his skillset is very suited to 12 imo. Then there is just weighing up the options of whether ROG, D'Arcy or McFadden bring more to the team. The answer is undoubtedly ROG even though he hasn't performed well this 6N.

Advertisement