Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The beginning of a new boat.

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The iroko is dearer to buy but if you look at it like you were paying yourself a wage lets say 3 hours work to do the blocks plus the cost of materials the iroko can work out cheeper in the end. Time is the most expensive part of a job like this so sometimes spending more on something that will help you do the job quicker is good for business plus you have a better product at the end of it :D
    Keep up the good work. live and learn:)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

went painting mad today got three layers of paint onto the gunnels and thats it no more painting and waiting for awhile. :D

also cut out two aluminium checkered plate brackets for the outboard, one will go on the inside and the other on the outside. i must drill holes yet for these and countersink the holes.

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

also the third layer of paint went into the inside of the hull.
    ok whats left to do,

attach the seats.

screw in the cleats.

attach the outboard brackets.

and a good polish and clean, and she is finished be tomorrow some time.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Looks all white to me are you putting in oar locks.

i got oar locks from ebay but when i got them they were plastic and black,not as in picture i was under the impression that they were stainless steel. so when ever it goes will get them as well. i wont screw them into the ply for fear of holes and they might want to put in there own and not the ones i have.

whats wrong with white??? :confused:

• Advertisement

whats wrong with white??? :confused:

All white as in all right :D
    There are only two colors to paint a boat, black or white, and only a fool would paint a boat black.
    -Nathanael G. Herreshoff

all the paint fumes must have slowed me down there on the uptake fergal b :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

Looking good, Have you any idea what weight the boat is going to end up being? Might be no harm to find out if you're planning on advertising the boat as transportable by roof rack. Most roof racks are rated for up to 75kg. Sure you'll have a good idea from the amount of resin you put into it.

I think you're right to not put in oar locks, there are a few different sizes available and you'd really want to have the oars beforehand to make sure they fit. I'm impressed that you're going to put in the checker plate, that'll finish it off nicely.

Are you planning a test float over the weekend or are you leaving that to the new owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

that's looking mighty sweet whacker , fair play..
    How many man hours do you reckon went into it ?

jacl_regan, funnily enough ive no roof rack for transporting it, so ill leave it to the new buyer. its a pity i would have loved to see it floating with me in it first. it weights in and around 50 to 60kg would not put any more on it id say.

breghall, i really have no idea how many hours it took, its been two months now since i started, spent alot of evenings on it and weekends, but being honest i really would prefer not to know there has been alot of hours. somthing im better off not knowing. :D

• Advertisement

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

id just like to add, i would like to thank everone here for all the support and guidence through out this thread. its been some learning curve and im delighted i took on this project, and updated my progress as the building went on. could not have done it without ye. ye know who ye are. :)

Looking Lovely. Well done. Hopefully it's the first of many. Thanks for keeping us all updated with progress reports throughout the build. It's made very interesting reading.

I'd say the thread will stand to you when you go to sell the boat.(Don't forget to post a link to it in the advert). It's the right time of year to be trying to sell a boat anyway. Best of Luck with the sale and don't leave it too long to get started on number two.:)

You weren't long getting her up on DD :D best of luck with the sale.
    I think I would put a bit higher price on her first and see if you get any calls.

i know but i said that i better put the finished job up on here first, busy fingers
    jack regan how do i copy the link from dd to here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Well done whacker, your up there with the man above, (DnMe I mean)
    I have followed this from the start with great interest, great to see it turned out so well, and hoping part deux is enroute.

thanks martin46585. ill get cracking on number two pretty soon and ill up date the new and different style of boat up on this thread once shes done.

i know ive been reading right through dnmes thread i felt very sorry that he could not complete the boat but completly understood why he stopped.
    if anything he has been inspiring to me, my hat is off to him too.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/3353803

Well worth a click on the link above. Hold out for your asking price or very close to it anyway. A lot of work went into that boat. Hope the phone is ringing off the hook!

Fair play to you putting all the measurements in to the advert. I think you can edit the advert on donedeal. Might be no harm to say that it's brand new and that you made it yourself and that you can make boats to order.

If you are going to edit the advert just a small spelling mistake also "width" instead of "wight".

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/3353803

Eagle eyed jack regan, all done there, sounds much better. thanks.

ill leave the price but ill stay tough with it, just testing the water with this one.

• Advertisement

Not quite, you missed one of those wight's.(the last one) "and its inner wight is 30inches." :P

now im done, thanks for that jack_regan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Very nice, glad you documented the build, I've been following from your 1st post.

I understand alot of man hours went into it, any idea how much it cost to build minus the mould & the labour?

Anybody feeling inspired by whacker1982 and fancy a similar project?

(no connection to the advert myself)

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/3489948

i seen them too, id be inclying to stay away from them the molds look knackered. could be alot of work to do them up, before getting a release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

have u had this in the water yet? and are u not going to keep one for yourself or do u already have a boat

be next year before ill have another boat, no never put it on the water, but put plenty of water into it, all was good. ;)

Advertisement