Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Theres a great deal on the Pentax MX1 right now. Its reduced from 500 to 200 dollars. Its a proper compact with lots of control with a brass body, so it'll last ages and age really well. Lots of professionals use them as pocket cameras.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-mx-1-closeout-sale.html

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Hi guys :)

I am in the market for a new compact digital camera. I am going to Prague for a year next year, and so I'd really like to buy really good camera to take photos whilst there! I'd also really just like to have a good camera to take photos with in everyday life. I am willing to pay around 300/350 euro for a camera (no idea how much a good point-and-shoot cameras generally cost) because the one my mom bought a few years was quite cheap, and I always found it really, really bad- blurry photos everywhere!

Blurry photos might not be in result of bad camera. First of all - how much you know about photography? Don't get me wrong, but if you know very little, then even best on the market point-n-shoot camera might give you good results.
    Canon Powershot G line is really good, Nikon Coolpix P7800 is also worth consideration.
    Prague is very nice place and you would have plenty opportunities for interesting shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

1 do want it to be pocket able?
    Do you want a long zoom?
    If yes ask would you really use it or just like the idea? A lot of enthusiast compacts don't have long zooms.
    Look at dpreview. Com compact camera buying guide (Aug 2013) and also enthusiast compact camera 2013 roundup (I'm having problems posting links from my mobile)

I have a Panasonic lx7, short zoom, not that pocket able but like it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I asked my family to chip in for a decent DSLR camera for my birthday, the problem being I know zilch about cameras.
    I have a small Sony camera (cyber shot) which is OK, it takes reasonable pictures and videos, but the quality is pretty brutal for night shots. I work at a few of the summer festivals and like to take shots of the installations during the day and night time, the night shots can be a hit and miss and often the shot will just be too dark to take in proper detail. The videos of some of the concert sets (I use this as part of my review technique) I usually only take a few minutes clip to emphasize the group I'm reviewing, but again if its a subtle light show the quality can be very dark and lifeless.

So I'm hoping to get a DSLR camera, one that is capable of taking nice night shots with the ability of the old cameras using 1600 film, can this be done on a digital camera and can be capable of taking decent video quality clips with more detail too. Also a camera that wouldn't cause festival or gig security to refuse me entry into the arena, so a compact enough camera that also has decent DSLR capabilities. Can anyone help me out or point me to such a camera.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

"I have a Panasonic lx7, short zoom, not that pocket able but like it a lot"

Hi Dinneenp, what are the strong points of the LX7?
    I use a medium range DSLR but would be interested in something lighter. It scored highly on dpreview.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

Decent night shots are really only possible with a tripod or a DSLR capable of high ISO levels.

I believe the Panasonic LX7 that Dinneep mentioned is capable of good video clips.

Oleta wrote: »
    "I have a Panasonic lx7, short zoom, not that pocket able but like it a lot"

Hi Dinneenp, what are the strong points of the LX7?
    I use a medium range DSLR but would be interested in something lighter. It scored highly on dpreview.

Thanks

Lx7-
    Has front aperture ring
    Real dial for shutter speed
    Can shot in different ratios- 4:3,3:2, 1:1 and 16:9 (wide)
    Fast lens f1.4 I think so good for low light/indoors/night shots

The Sony RX 100 is meant to be by very good and has a large sensor for a truly pocket able camera.

You could also consider the Panasonic fz250; a bridge camera with constant f2.8 throughout the massive focal length.

Or a mirrorless camera - smaller than a Dslr but bigger sensor than compacts.

You can fall into analysis paralysis if you just read reviews online; there's a field of great cameras. I'd recommend handle a few and you'll probably have a good idea then

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could look at the Olympus E-M5 and E-M10. They both have very good sensor based image stabilisation allowing long exposure times hand-held. Both are much smaller than a DSLR with the the E-M10 being slightly smaller than the E-M5 but with the latter having a slight edge in longer exposures due to slightly better Stabilisation. You might find them too expensive and they might draw attention from security due to their shape.

The Panasonic GM1 is even smaller but without the stabilisation but many Panasonic lenses have inbuilt stabilisation. It has a much bigger sensor than a point and shoot so better low light performance.

All three do pretty good video. The GM1 would have more flexibility in video settings while the E-M5 delivers amazing stedi-cam like stabilized video.

Sony HX50 got top compact camera from stuff. TV.
    Fully compact, not sure how perfect for night shots but check out it as a contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Hey, I want to buy my first DSLR. I was thinking of buying a Nikon D3200 body only and a 50mm 1.8G lens to start with. I'll use the camera for all kinds of photography. My budget is about €600, or maybe a little bit more.

See, I've read online that the kit lens isn't that great, and also that using a prime lens forces you to think about your composition and stuff a lot more by making you 'zoom with your feet', so that's why I said I wouldn't bother spending the extra money to get the kit lens... But would a 35mm lens be better than a 50, or maybe I should just get the kit lens?

I'm not sure what the best corresponding choice would be in Canon. Do other brands like Sony, Olympus or Pentax have something to offer?

Lastly, I'm not sure where to get it! I've never bought a camera so I'm not sure where the best prices/services can be found? Shops in Cork (where I am) are probably much more expensive, but they're easier to deal with, obviously. Amazon seems cheaper, but seemingly won't deliver to me?! :(

• Advertisement

Pentax is a great alternative to canikon or nikanon. The big bonus for a novice is that the Pentax's are weather resistent so can be used all the time without worry. The specs are also up there and they are very intuitive to use.

Most choose from the big two manufacturers because of their widespread customer base, and you shouldn't really go wrong with either.

If you're interested, look at the k30 or k50. Both have very similar specs, but the k30 is a slightly older model & can be had for little money at the moment.

1 call into a camera store and handle a few. See which feels best to you.
    2 do any of your friends have Dslr cameras? If so and they have a few lenses consider going with that brand. You might be able to borrow lenses
    3 maybe but what digital camera mag and Cheshire which get best reviews. Our just check website.
    I went with a Pentax Kx because it for great reviews, I liked the handling of it and it has stabilisation in the body. Which is a big thing.
    Downside for Pentax is that you don't pick up 2nd hand stuff as easily, not in most stores. I buy online

Hey, I want to buy my first DSLR. I was thinking of buying a Nikon D3200 body only and a 50mm 1.8G lens to start with. I'll use the camera for all kinds of photography. My budget is about €600, or maybe a little bit more.

I did it! :-) Here we go..!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Kit lens is fine, nothing wrong with it. You'll probably find that you prefer the photos from the 50mm as it is sharper and has a nice shallow DOF, but I would still get the 18-55 too as 50mm is a bit tight on a crop sensor (IMHO).

You'll know what I mean when you find yourself stepping back a lot more that forwards. :D

Enjoy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Awesome! Did you just get the 50mm? You'll be forced to get more creative with just that focal length but its the perfect tool to do so.:)

I reckon a second hand 18-50 could be got for about €60 if search for it.

Awesome! Did you just get the 50mm? You'll be forced to get more creative with just that focal length but its the perfect tool to do so.:)

I reckon a second hand 18-50 could be got for about €60 if search for it.

Just the 50mm, yep! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Hi guys :)

I am in the market for a new compact digital camera. I am going to Prague for a year next year, and so I'd really like to buy really good camera to take photos whilst there! I'd also really just like to have a good camera to take photos with in everyday life. I am willing to pay around 300/350 euro for a camera (no idea how much a good point-and-shoot cameras generally cost) because the one my mom bought a few years was quite cheap, and I always found it really, really bad- blurry photos everywhere!

I've been looking at the Canon Powershoot and IXUS models, but there are so many different variations, and it is really difficult to figure out between them all which would be the best!

Anyone have any recommendations? Doesn't have to necessarily be a Canon either- any good digital camera would be suit me! :)

Thanks in advance

Edit: So I've been looking at Bridge cameras as well, and found the Canon SX40 HS/ 50 HS. Both seem to be good cameras and have excellent reviews on Amazon. Plus, the prices of both are reasonable. Was wondering if anyone here has experience with either of these cameras? Or should I just stick to a power-and-shoot camera instead?

I'm in the same boat as yourself freefallin. I've been looking at the sony rx100 but I'm not sure if its dumb enough for my needs. I want an easy to use point and shoot that takes great photos that the whole family can use. Is the rx100 too complicated for the newbie? For 120 euro less I can have the lumix tz40 which seems much more user friendly but doesn't take as good a photo, has wifi, touch screen, gps tagging and nfc (which are probably a bit gimmicky but sound cool)
    Can anyone give me some advice? Is the big sensor rx100 worth the extra cash?
    cheers
    Frank

I've said it before, but I'll say it again... If your looking for a high quality point and shoot, have a look at the Pentax mx1, its a proper camera, not a consumer level point and shoot & its discounted.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pentax+mx1

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've said it before, but I'll say it again... If your looking for a high quality point and shoot, have a look at the Pentax mx1, its a proper camera, not a consumer level point and shoot & its discounted.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pentax+mx1

Thats a good price alright. But every review i've read has the rx100 as the better camera. I've found it for 329 online which i think is a great price. for a compact camera that fits in your pocket I don't think the mx1 cuts it. it's too big and the picture quality is no better than the sony. Every one needs to be able to use it in the family so ease of use is essential.
    Thanks for your advice though, Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm in the same boat as yourself freefallin. I've been looking at the sony rx100 but I'm not sure if its dumb enough for my needs. I want an easy to use point and shoot that takes great photos that the whole family can use. Is the rx100 too complicated for the newbie? For 120 euro less I can have the lumix tz40 which seems much more user friendly but doesn't take as good a photo, has wifi, touch screen, gps tagging and nfc (which are probably a bit gimmicky but sound cool)
    Can anyone give me some advice? Is the big sensor rx100 worth the extra cash?
    cheers
    Frank

The RX100 has a DSLR (this is wrong :o still a decent camera though)style sensor so it'll blow everything else out of the water when it comes to image quality and low light stuff. Feck any or all gimmicks and go for image quality. Try one in a bricks and mortar shop. It'll have auto so don't worry about the family being able to use it.

Check out this review

• Advertisement

The RX100 has a DSLR style sensor so it'll blow everything else out of the water when it comes to image quality and low light stuff. Feck any or all gimmicks and go for image quality. Try one in a bricks and mortar shop. It'll have auto so don't worry about the family being able to use it.

Check out this review

I'm convinced after reading this and another 10 reviews online. Driving myself demented with research. I'm biting the bullet and buying the rx100.
    Cheers lads (and or lasses)

I'm convinced after reading this and another 10 reviews online. Driving myself demented with research. I'm biting the bullet and buying the rx100.
    Cheers lads (and or lasses)
    Let us know what you think of you get it. It gets some absolute rave reviews; Stevehuffphoto says best compact ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the main criteria for a compact camera is size, then the Panasonic GM1 might be the best 'compact camera' for image quality. It's smaller than the RX100 and has near enough double the sensor area. :D

http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/panasonic_lumix-dmc-gm1-vs-sony_cybershot-dsc-rx100-ii/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

My good god, I decided recently that I would like to step into the world of dslr and not for 1 moment did I think there was so many different options to consider. Firstly thanks to all who have posted to try and help others, I've read some valuble information so far. I'm looking to buy in the next few months so starting to have a read around now so hopefully when the time comes I will have decided on something. Budget wise I haven't really set a top end as of yet but I would like to keep it around the 500 mark if possible. Ive been keeping an eye out on hukd to see if any big offers have been advertised recently but nothing of note just yet as I won't be buying for another while just yet. keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

glic83 all depends what kind of photos you'd like to take as you have to take into consideration cost of accessories (memory cards, tripod etc.) and lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Cheers for the reply, I supposed as I'm only starting out , I'd like to get some decent shots of my kids as they are growing up, holidays and some nature shots, a varied range. I won't be looking to do sports photography and to begin with I'd only be going with the body lens and sd card won't be going getting a tripod or other lens until I can use the camera properly and uderstand it. I was recently at my sisters wedding and took a picture at the same time the photographer took a shot from beside me and the difference was something else. I understand that it was a professional camera and professional equipment but it just gave me an insight into how different the same photo could be. I have my brothers wedding coming up end of the year and I'd like to be able to get some decent shots for that so thats why I'm doing my research now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Greg81

Hi All,

My friend needs to buy a "point and shoot" camera. Budget she has is 200Euro. Any ideas? Maybe something from Nikon coolpix series?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Greg81 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My friend needs to buy a "point and shoot" camera. Budget she has is 200Euro. Any ideas? Maybe something from Nikon coolpix series?

Thanks.

You have to understand that this is a very hard question to answer. Most people here use larger manual cameras. You may as we'll ask a truck driver about a bicycle.

Most modern point and shoot cameras aren't bad, but their not much better than a decent smart phone either. Go to a shop and play with a few and get the one she likes the look and feel of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Hey folks,

I am in the market for an NEX-6. It can be used or new, it's going to be a back up. I was hoping someone could tell me the better places to hunt around for them in these parts. The last one I got was in the States.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

Hi all- I'm here looking for a bit of advice on buying my first DSLR camera. I haven't really any idea on what camera i should be looking to get to suit my needs as everyone is different which is why i am here.

I am always taking pictures at family events, weddings, birthday's and in general and this is exactly what i would be using my new camera for but also for on holidays and my travels.

I like Nikon D3200 and reading the reviews online a lot of people starting out recommend it.

Thank you in advance for your advice & opinions.

Advertisement