Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Why just Canon? I ask only out of curiosity as I have been looking myself recently and the Nikon 3200 has shown up as a better option.
    Such as here.

I'm trying to justify the spend myself so I am curious to see other answers to this thread. I know little about DSLRs myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

Good point. I have used Canon over the years and so have friends and found them to be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

I must read up on the Nikon D3200. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

mruser2014 wrote: »
    Good point. I have used Canon over the years and so have friends and found them to be good.

If you have friends with Canon gear it's worth bearing in mind that you may be able to borrow & lend lenses with them if you are also on Canon. Do you have any Nikon owning friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Darby_321

I was looking at getting a new camera and was wondering is this camera worth the buy.

it is the FUJIFILM FINEPIX S4700 for €99. it wont let me post the URL

Im not doing any serious photography but was in france recently and looking at tourist sites and taking pictures with the phone just wasnt good enough and want something that will give me pretty good shots but dont want to break the bank on a camera that will only be used a few weeks every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Saruman wrote: »
    Why just Canon? I ask only out of curiosity as I have been looking myself recently and the Nikon 3200 has shown up as a better option.
    Such as here.

I'm trying to justify the spend myself so I am curious to see other answers to this thread. I know little about DSLRs myself.

Ignore the numbers and try each camera in your hands. You'll find one suits you better than than the other, whether it's the ergonomics or menu system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Darby_321 wrote: »
    I was looking at getting a new camera and was wondering is this camera worth the buy.

it is the FUJIFILM FINEPIX S4700 for €99. it wont let me post the URL

Im not doing any serious photography but was in france recently and looking at tourist sites and taking pictures with the phone just wasnt good enough and want something that will give me pretty good shots but dont want to break the bank on a camera that will only be used a few weeks every year

The main drawback I would have with that camera would be the fact it takes AA batteries.
    4xAA type alkaline batteries (included) / 4xAA type Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (sold separately) / 4xAA type lithium batteries (sold separately)

4 batteries wouldn't last that long and then you are buying more. I'd look for a camera that comes with a lithium-ion batter and a charger, these are much more efficient and more cost friendly going forward.

I'd go for something like this - http://www.currys.ie/Product/canon-ixus-155-compact-digital-camera-black/321497/174.3

yes that was my main reserve about the camera is AA batteries. would a digital camera give as good pictures as a bridge camera though? i really dont know much about cameras

yes that was my main reserve about the camera is AA batteries. would a digital camera give as good pictures as a bridge camera though? i really dont know much about cameras

From what you have said above, definitely would be just fine. If you are interested in learning more about going fully manual/managing all of the settings yourself rather than having it on automatic, then perhaps consider a bridge camera. (If you are only using it for a few weeks a year/holidays/events, then you most likely won't ever end up using the functionality of a bridge camera and it would be a waste as you'd end up using it on auto). You'd be looking at a higher budget then. Both are digital - the compact I linked is a nice, small, light camera that has decent capabilities and still offers you the option of video, macro, various settings. Take a look on adverts.ie to see if there is anything second hand also.

Cork_girl wrote: »
    The main drawback I would have with that camera would be the fact it takes AA batteries.

4 batteries wouldn't last that long and then you are buying more. I'd look for a camera that comes with a lithium-ion batter and a charger, these are much more efficient and more cost friendly going forward.

I'd go for something like this - http://www.currys.ie/Product/canon-ixus-155-compact-digital-camera-black/321497/174.3

Eneloops are pretty good. I had them in a Pentax DSLR with no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I am looking for a camera that shoots excellent video and has much video features aswell as good image quality 15MP mininum.
    It will be mostly used for recording and vlogging my daily life as well as journeys, holidays and all that good stuff.
    I went to a shop who recommended me a Nikon p600 at 430E but I was sure I could get a better camera, especially at that price if not cheaper.
    Also it looked kinda bulky, if I can get it a slime neater design it be an advantage.
    I do not mind if its a camcorder or a digital one as long as it has good video quality that will match to a video camera and images

I picked on these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CX280-Full-HD-Handycam/dp/B00AWME0QG/ref=sr_1_9?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1407430234&sr=1-9

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-V520-Full-Camcorder-Intelligent/dp/B00B170BMS/ref=sr_1_26?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1407430234&sr=1-26

But they do not offer pictures and such, so if I am left with nothing at the end of this week, I will result down into buying this.
    My budget is up to 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Guys do I need a viewfinder on my camera? I'm thinking the lcd screen can be a massive pain to see in daylight compared to using a viewfinder? thinking of getting a bridge camera.

(I'm still using a film camera lol)

Eneloops are pretty good. I had them in a Pentax DSLR with no complaints.

can i ask where did you buy the eneloops batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry for asking a question that no doubt has been asked a million times but I'm really clueless about this stuff.

Basically I want to buy herself a decent DSLR camera for our upcoming holidays. She likes photography but isn't by any means an expert, more of an excited enthusiast

She currently has a 'Canon EOS 450D SLR' with a 'Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens' and a 'Tamron AF 70-300mm Lens'. She bought all this maybe 5-6 years ago, shes not done any photography for last 3 or 4 years and wants to start dabbling again, but wants a DSLR.

I've looked around and these all seem to seems to be a great 'Package' (she loves accessories). But I'm pretty lost as to if its in anyway good, I'm just blinded by all the little cool extra bits and the very reasonable price, I'm not worried about being hit for €100-200 customs fees etc.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-SLR-Camera-4-Lens-Kit-18-55-IS-75-300-24GB-Full-Kit-/171065343592?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item27d449fe68

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5i-DSLR-Camera-9-Lens-18-55-STM-75-300-500MM-TOP-VALUE-KIT-/181313910485?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2a3726b6d5

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Canon-EOS-70D-DSLR-Camera-9-lens-Kit-18-55-IS-75-300-500mm-32GB-Complete-kit-/171160493045?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item27d9f5dbf5

I'd really appreciate if you could advise yes or no if these are decent bits of kit and which is more suitable for lasting her
    Finally will her existing lenses fit on this?

Thank you

can i ask where did you buy the eneloops batteries?

http://www.7dayshop.com/batteries-power-chargers?manufacturer=254

Bandara wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm sorry for asking a question that no doubt has been asked a million times but I'm really clueless about this stuff.

Basically I want to buy herself a decent DSLR camera for our upcoming holidays. She likes photography but isn't by any means an expert, more of an excited enthusiast

She currently has a 'Canon EOS 450D SLR' with a 'Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens' and a 'Tamron AF 70-300mm Lens'. She bought all this maybe 5-6 years ago, shes not done any photography for last 3 or 4 years and wants to start dabbling again, but wants a DSLR.

I've looked around and these all seem to seems to be a great 'Package' (she loves accessories). But I'm pretty lost as to if its in anyway good, I'm just blinded by all the little cool extra bits and the very reasonable price, I'm not worried about being hit for €100-200 customs fees etc.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-SLR-Camera-4-Lens-Kit-18-55-IS-75-300-24GB-Full-Kit-/171065343592?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item27d449fe68

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5i-DSLR-Camera-9-Lens-18-55-STM-75-300-500MM-TOP-VALUE-KIT-/181313910485?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2a3726b6d5

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Canon-EOS-70D-DSLR-Camera-9-lens-Kit-18-55-IS-75-300-500mm-32GB-Complete-kit-/171160493045?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item27d9f5dbf5

I'd really appreciate if you could advise yes or no if these are decent bits of kit and which is more suitable for lasting her
    Finally will her existing lenses fit on this?

Thank you

Is the camera she has not working anymore? Would she not be better off using it for a while and then maybe upgrading in a few months when she'll have a better idea of where her own is limiting her?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

The 450d is a dsrl, the lenses in those bundles are similar to what you already own, The 70 appears to be bundled with the same 18-55 IS mk 1 and the 75-300 is as terrible as the tamron 70-300 only more so because back when tamron made the 70-300 was when you expected them to produce tat, the canon was surprise tat (the worst kind). The 500mm doesn't have a brand mention but it looks like a Vivitar, it might be entertaining to use a few times but it's probably more of a paper weight.

They're shipping out of New York so you may/(probably will) get stuck for customs. The T3I and T5I are the 600D and 700D over here and are upgraded versions of the 450d all being a part of canons entry level dslr lineup.
    The 70d is their latest semi pro body and has been quite well received.
    At worst the 700d is seen as an inexplicably more expensive 650d something to remember while shopping.

Alltherage wrote: »
    The 450d is a dsrl, the lenses in those bundles are similar to what you already own, The 70 appears to be bundled with the same 18-55 IS mk 1 and the 75-300 is as terrible as the tamron 70-300 only more so because back when tamron made the 70-300 was when you expected them to produce tat, the canon was surprise tat (the worst kind). The 500mm doesn't have a brand mention but it looks like a Vivitar, it might be entertaining to use a few times but it's probably more of a paper weight.

They're shipping out of New York so you may/(probably will) get stuck for customs. The T3I and T5I are the 600D and 700D over here and are upgraded versions of the 450d all being a part of canons entry level dslr lineup.
    The 70d is their latest semi pro body and has been quite well received.
    At worst the 700d is seen as an inexplicably more expensive 650d something to remember while shopping.

Thank you very much for that, makes a cloudy world a bit clearer ! :)

A bit more sniffing around is needed I think !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

You've no need for a new DSLR unless its broke. The 450 covers all the basics well. Spend the money on a good fast lens. That will do much more for her photography than a new camera. I dont shoot Canon so maybe someone could suggest a lens.

You've no need for a new DSL unless its broke. The 450 covers all the basics well. Spend the money on a good fast lense. That will do much more for her photography than a new camera. I dont shoot Canon so maybe someone could suggest a lense.

A 50mm f1.8 would be top of the list I think.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

A 50mm f1.8 would be top of the list I think.

Yep and cheap as chips too. For the money he was going to spend on a new kit could get some L glass? The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is another great lens for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Right, I'm thinking about buying a second hand GF1 (with the pancake lens). They seem to be available for under €200 if you're lucky, with some chancers asking £500+!

My question is, as a novice, who had film SLRs in the past, but recently used a (crap) Nikon S3100, and wants something in between, is it still worth the money?

I like the form factor, and the reviews it got when it made an appearance were awesome. The 20mm lens also seemed to be worth the price alone.

Is there another option I should consider or is it still a great camera (even if not the latest and greatest)?

Yep and cheap as chips too. For the money he was going to spend on a new kit could get some L glass? The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is another great lens for the money.

Hi Mike and everyone else

thanks for the reply

Again excuse the stupidity but whats L glass?

From my limited grasp here, am I right in saying that her camera body is fine, its in fact the quality of the lenses that is the more relevant point ? Is this for clarity of picture or something more? I know these are probably very basic questions, I just don't want to buy the wrong thing

Her current lenses: Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens' and a 'Tamron AF 70-300mm Lens are rubbish then?

Is the 50mm f1.8 a replacement of what she has or an additional lens ?

To bring her up into a much better setup, what would recommend? lets say budget is €400-500

thanks again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You've no need for a new DSLR unless its broke.

Really? I have a Canon 30D and was thinking of getting something else as the image quality isn't great. I always have to edit the images to bring up the colour whereas a newer/cheaper camera seems (to my untrained eye) like a much better camera.
    Is it that I need better lenses? I'm using the 18-55 that came with it. Or do I just need to get better at taking photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

dory wrote: »
    Really? I have a Canon 30D and was thinking of getting something else as the image quality isn't great. I always have to edit the images to bring up the colour whereas a newer/cheaper camera seems (to my untrained eye) like a much better camera.
    Is it that I need better lenses? I'm using the 18-55 that came with it. Or do I just need to get better at taking photos?

Dory get better lens than 18-55. If you're looking for upgrade then consider 40d, 50d or 5d classic or 5d mark 2. Still lens is your main bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Pique wrote: »
    Right, I'm thinking about buying a second hand GF1 (with the pancake lens). They seem to be available for under €200 if you're lucky, with some chancers asking £500+!

My question is, as a novice, who had film SLRs in the past, but recently used a (crap) Nikon S3100, and wants something in between, is it still worth the money?

I like the form factor, and the reviews it got when it made an appearance were awesome. The 20mm lens also seemed to be worth the price alone.

Is there another option I should consider or is it still a great camera (even if not the latest and greatest)?

I loved the GF1 and honestly don't think the GF's since have come close to it. Even the GX1 didn't feel right to me. I've not played with the GX7 though which gets lots of good press.
    THE GF1 and 20mm are the perfect match too. I think you can pick up the gf1 In conns in Dublin for about 150 ?
    I actually preferred the 14mm to the 20mm though. Much faster autofocus than the 20mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hi all,
    Just wondering does anyone have this camera ? Any opinions on it ?
    I've been tracking it for a while now and is available for about 600 euro from amazon.
    It will hopefully be my pocket camera to be used when I don't have my X-T1 around :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

dory wrote: »

I shoot with 5dmk3. It is a pro camera. But the main factor for image quality is the lens. Also very important are the settings. If you shoot RAW you will always need to edit your pictures. The smaller camera you mentioned probably shoot jpeg which is already made of raw by camera for you. Means camera increased colours etc. If you shoot jpeg and you think the colours are not so bright just go to menu, image style and play with settings. You can increase saturation in any dslr. Probably it is set to neutral. BUT if I was you I would shoot raw and then would play in post production. Newer DSLR have better performance in low light situations. If you re not pro this is the only better thing in newer cameras. Remember - good camera + bad lens = bad picture and bad camera + good lens = much better quality image ;)

Advertisement