Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Yeah I'll get her a book...shes going home for the xmas so she can read it travelling...

obv after i give her the camera :P

thanks for the dig out guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

guys

I have an old Fuji Finpix s5500 that I never really used much. I want to learn to take better photos than just point and click and I figured because this has aperture and shutter priority mode and as far as I know allows for manual focus etc to start with without me spending too much cash.

so I was wondering are lenses interchangeable by manufacturer or do I need to stick with a fuji lens?

what would be the best lens to start out with?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Faolchu wrote: »
    guys

I have an old Fuji Finpix s5500 that I never really used much. I want to learn to take better photos than just point and click and I figured because this has aperture and shutter priority mode and as far as I know allows for manual focus etc to start with without me spending too much cash.

so I was wondering are lenses interchangeable by manufacturer or do I need to stick with a fuji lens?

If it's this camera: http://www.dpreview.com/products/fujifilm/compacts/fuji_finepixs5100z

Then the lens is fixed. At 4Mp you will be a bit limited in final quality but there is nothing to stop you using it to improve your skills. Your best be would be to get a book on photographic technique and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

guys

I'm affraid that you cannot mount another lens to this camera.
    It's 10x optical zoom (37-370mm equiv.).

What exactly you want to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Question in title.
    What's the best digital camera under €100?

Cheers :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Ok Hopi g someone help... Am looking for an slr camera and figure perhaps this month what with sales on, I might find the right one for my requirement.....
    I am going into my second semester second year degree and part of my degree is digital media, and photography is part of that. The college has slr cameras but I pretty much know I will need one myself... I have a Fuji digital finepix as it stands... I want to move away from point and click.... Obviously I know I am at entry level but the course is fairly intensive in photography and have been told teacher is great, so want a camera that would carry me through the next two year.....
    Budget.... Well...... As little as possible without being totally low end, I am aware the lenses are the killer financially in the long term, or so I have been told......
    If anyone sees a camera in a sale online they think may be the one I'd really appreciate it ,
    Cheers

dharma200 wrote: »
    Ok Hopi g someone help... Am looking for an slr camera and figure perhaps this month what with sales on, I might find the right one for my requirement.....
    I am going into my second semester second year degree and part of my degree is digital media, and photography is part of that. The college has slr cameras but I pretty much know I will need one myself... I have a Fuji digital finepix as it stands... I want to move away from point and click.... Obviously I know I am at entry level but the course is fairly intensive in photography and have been told teacher is great, so want a camera that would carry me through the next two year.....
    Budget.... Well...... As little as possible without being totally low end, I am aware the lenses are the killer financially in the long term, or so I have been told......
    If anyone sees a camera in a sale online they think may be the one I'd really appreciate it ,
    Cheers

You want to go cheap then buy any second hand DSLR (or SLR) plus manual lenses (if you don't need AF). Look for Canon xxD or EOS x (e.g. eos 1/3/5) or xx or xxx plus lenses or Nikon FM or other Nikon body.

sebphoto wrote: »
    You want to go cheap then buy any second hand DSLR (or SLR) plus manual lenses (if you don't need AF). Look for Canon xxD or EOS x (e.g. eos 1/3/5) or xx or xxx plus lenses or Nikon FM or other Nikon body.

Thanks, will get googling now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

I have a 500 euro to spend on a camera - from this lot

http://www.pcworld.ie/category/Digital-SLR-Cameras/12.1.0

Any advice?

Dundalk wrote: »
    I have a 500 euro to spend on a camera - from this lot

http://www.pcworld.ie/category/Digital-SLR-Cameras/12.1.0

Any advice?

Don't get me wrong, but you expect to get simple answer like buy X or Y?

First tell us something about yourself i.e. what you're looking for exactly, camera is for you or will be a gift to someone, if it's for you then do you have any previous experience with DSLR?

• Advertisement

First DSLR camera, looks for something that will be value for money, but not the worst thing out there. I have a passion for photography, haven't a lot of money and don't want to make the mistake of buying the wrong camera

Dundalk wrote: »
    First DSLR camera, looks for something that will be value for money, but not the worst thing out there. I have a passion for photography, haven't a lot of money and don't want to make the mistake of buying the wrong camera

The thing is that the body (camera) is not that important as lens (lenses).
    You might have high-end body, but crap lens and you won't be happy.
    Why DSLR? Maybe compact like this would suit you better? It does have everything what you might need and it's not heavy.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Anyone have the Panasonic DMC-FZ72EB-K Lumix? Is it any good? Most reviews I've read online seem very good but some are saying image quality should be better. Anyone here got it and want to tell me what they think?

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz72_review/videos/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Looking for a recomendation for a Bridge camera.
    Budget up to €300.
    Doesnt have to be in Ireland but UK and with a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

thebuzz wrote: »
    Anyone have the Panasonic DMC-FZ72EB-K Lumix? Is it any good? Most reviews I've read online seem very good but some are saying image quality should be better. Anyone here got it and want to tell me what they think?

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz72_review/videos/
    Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

thebuzz wrote: »
    Anyone[/URL]?

I had an older model- FZ28 OR 35. I really liked itJack of all trades. I've never been a pixel peeper so can't comment in the quality.

If you have the budget why not go for the 250 model (I think) which has constant f2.8 throughout the focal range?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Would be grateful if someone could recommend where I could order a new
    Nikon D3200 kit (with lens) online.

Obviously if I could find it at a slightly discounted price anywhere that would be great.

They're selling for 345 sterling (418) euro on Amazon. Just wondering if that's as good a deal as I'll get. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

Amaon.de + fr are both slightly cheaper at EUR 400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Hi

I'm looking to get a compact or small digital camera. Something with a 10x optical zoom if possible.

I have an Olympus SPU60UZ but find it very bulky although it takes fantastic photos and videos.

Would really appreciate any recommendations and advice.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

sebphoto wrote: »

Just wanted to say O plumped for the 1100d in the end.. Entry level, looking forward to the learning process with it... Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

dharma200 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say O plumped for the 1100d in the end.. Entry level, looking forward to the learning process with it... Thanks for the help.

You wont regret it. All you really need is direct control of aperture, shutter, ISO and to a lesser extent, White balance and you're away. Get a cheap 50mm f1.8 when you can.

Bring it everywhere and keep shooting. Don't get yourself down when your shots turn out pants, you'll learn from it. When it all comes together and you get that great shot its all worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

panama wrote: »
    Would be grateful if someone could recommend where I could order a new
    Nikon D3200 kit (with lens) online.

Obviously if I could find it at a slightly discounted price anywhere that would be great.

They're selling for 345 sterling (418) euro on Amazon. Just wondering if that's as good a deal as I'll get. Thanks.

What about here http://eglobalcentral.eu/nikon-d3200-kit-with-18-55mm-vr-lens-digital-slr-camera-black.html
    Its coming in @ €329.99.
    Anyone deal with these guys before?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

There doesn't seem to be too much info on them available, grey market imports / possible customs, most of the negative feedback I've found has been from people who didn't realise one or both of those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Taken from there Home page,,
    We offer competitive pricing on a daily basis for all products on the website. To ensure that our customers have a reliable online shopping experience on our online shop, there are no hidden costs: no import tax fees, no customs fees and no shipping fee 1. The price that you see on our online ship is the only price that you have to pay for it.
    1 Please refer to our Shipping & Insurance page for more details.

VAT & Custom
    Our prices shown on the website are VAT FREE. There are no import fees and no hidden charges involved for the customer. The price you see on the website is the final price you pay for the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Going to be buying a D7100 soon. Anybody seen any bargains?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

megapixel wrote: »
    Going to be buying a D7100 soon. Anybody seen any bargains?

A Nikon cashback offer ends tomorrow. On the D7100 that qualifies for €120 caskback in the form of a Visa card. There isn't a huge difference between buying online from Amazon & Gunn's, Wexford St. Dublin.

If buying via Amazon, make sure you don't purchase from marketsellers as the NIKON CASHBACK scheme will not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mike.Za

Go to Gunns,

They'll look after you,

Unless there is some sort of a steal online they will and have matched online prices. VERY competitive and also good for a chat and bit of advice.

Need to keep them in Business, good folks are hard to come by!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

Mike.Za wrote: »
    Go to Gunns,

They'll look after you,

Unless there is some sort of a steal online they will and have matched online prices. VERY competitive and also good for a chat and bit of advice.

Need to keep them in Business, good folks are hard to come by!
    I agree, the difference between Gunns & Amazon was only €41. So if you factor in the hassle of trying to return an item under warranty and the CHAT/Advice

then it's Gunn's:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Hi guys :)

I am in the market for a new compact digital camera. I am going to Prague for a year next year, and so I'd really like to buy really good camera to take photos whilst there! I'd also really just like to have a good camera to take photos with in everyday life. I am willing to pay around 300/350 euro for a camera (no idea how much a good point-and-shoot cameras generally cost) because the one my mom bought a few years was quite cheap, and I always found it really, really bad- blurry photos everywhere!

I've been looking at the Canon Powershoot and IXUS models, but there are so many different variations, and it is really difficult to figure out between them all which would be the best!

Anyone have any recommendations? Doesn't have to necessarily be a Canon either- any good digital camera would be suit me! :)

Thanks in advance

Edit: So I've been looking at Bridge cameras as well, and found the Canon SX40 HS/ 50 HS. Both seem to be good cameras and have excellent reviews on Amazon. Plus, the prices of both are reasonable. Was wondering if anyone here has experience with either of these cameras? Or should I just stick to a power-and-shoot camera instead?

Advertisement