Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hi everyone,

New to photography and having read quite a bit in this forum, i have kinda decided to get a Canon 1100D.

I am in Australia and i can get the Canon 100D + 18-55mm Lens for $400ish.
    I am wondering would it be worth it to pay an extra $100 and buy the Canon 1100D with 18-55m Lens + 55-250mm Lens straight off or just get the one lens untill i am used to the camera and know what lens to get next?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Just back from holidays and the phone camera wasn't really up to the job. Looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40.

Anyone have any better ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Looking to know the main differences between the sony NEX 3N & 5R?
    Not a big photographer but want something better then my current basic camera, for more detailed pictures etc, and maybe a few videos in the future

Is there enough difference in quality to warrant the extra money on the 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

PlayGirl wrote: »
    Looking to know the main differences between the sony NEX 3N & 5R?
    Not a big photographer but want something better then my current basic camera, for more detailed pictures etc, and maybe a few videos in the future

Is there enough difference in quality to warrant the extra money on the 5?

Not a hell of a lot. Better AF and higher res screen seem to be the headliners.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_nex3n&products=sony_nex5r

The camera should be a sizable step up from a simple P+S without being too complex. If you want to get serious, I'd get a cheap entry level DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Hey guys looking for some advice, I'm only taking up Photography and mainly Sports Photography..

Being looking at this camera the Cannon Powershot SX500 IS 16MP Bridge Camera at Argos , http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5597147.htm

My budget is €200 would you recommend this for a beginner for sports photography or is there another better option out there?

Help is really appreciated..
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

€200 is probably not enough for sports photography at any level. It's a bit like thinking of taking up skydiving by starting off with a smaller, cheaper parachute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's a bit like thinking of taking up skydiving by starting off with a smaller, cheaper parachute.

Or a couple of Lidls bags. :P

A nearly new modern entry level dslr with a cheap 70-300mm lense like the Sigma would be an ideal starting place and shouldn't cost you more than €400.

I picked up a nearly new Nikon D90 with the kit 18-105 vr lense for €340 recently. I didn't need it but didn't want to pass it up. I use a Fuji S5 and couldn't believe the D90's high ISO capabilities and speed....and it aint no spring chicken. Hasn't a patch on the Fuji's OOC colour and dynamic range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Hey guys looking for some advice, I'm only taking up Photography and mainly Sports Photography..

Being looking at this camera the Cannon Powershot SX500 IS 16MP Bridge Camera at Argos , http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5597147.htm

My budget is €200 would you recommend this for a beginner for sports photography or is there another better option out there?

Cheers.
    How about a helpful reply-
    for sports you want a big aperture which gives you blurred background and want very fast focus. And also some other things but I went to into the details or why.

You can get good shots with that Camera but odds are Tinders went be able to get a blurred background. For that budget start with that and if you get the bug the upgrade.

I had aPanasonic fz 28, for some great sports photos with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

ronanc1000 wrote: »

Cheers.

If you are open to going second hand you could get a setup like this for about 200. I am not necessarily recommending these (but there is nothing wrong with a setup like this), just to give you an Idea of what you could get.

It also gives you a start into a system that is easy to build on in the future.

350D with 18-55mm
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-canon-eos-350d-digital-slr-ef-s-18-55mm-lens/p1543914

70-210 F3.5-4.5
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-canon-ef-70-210-mm-f-3-5-4-5-usm/p1542925

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Looking into buying a DSLR. Noob hobbyist. Equal parts stills and video, with quiet focus for video preferably. WiFi would be nice. Not looking to spend a whole lot, I was looking at the Sony a57 last year, and still want something in that price range. Is the a57 still the best choice for me or is there a better choice? Anything on the horizon I should wait for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I picked up a nearly new Nikon D90 with the kit 18-105 vr lense for €340 recently. I didn't need it but didn't want to pass it up. I use a Fuji S5 and couldn't believe the D90's high ISO capabilities and speed....and it aint no spring chicken. Hasn't a patch on the Fuji's OOC colour and dynamic range though.

Where did you get the D90 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Hi Guys i want to get a bridge camera and looked on pixmania to see what they have and i was also into currys at the weekend and i was told these three were this best for my budget..(around E200) iv only ever had Nikon cameras but id consider changing to different make.
    im just interested in landscape/nature photos and family photos etc really so id prefer good clear pic quality over video or zoom quality if you get me.. :)

Iv heard CMOS is important to have to get all the natural light is that right?

Any help would be great thanks :D

http://www.currys.ie/Product/FUJIFILM-FinePix-S6800-Bridge-Camera/318100/174.2

http://www.currys.ie/Product/PANASONIC-Lumix-DMCLZ30EK-Bridge-Camera/319942/174.2

http://www.currys.ie/Product/NIKON-Coolpix-L320-Bridge-Camera/318005/174.2

Gal44 wrote: »
    Hi Guys i want to get a bridge camera and looked on pixmania to see what they have and i was also into currys at the weekend and i was told these three were this best for my budget..(around E200) iv only ever had Nikon cameras but id consider changing to different make.
    im just interested in landscape/nature photos and family photos etc really so id prefer good clear pic quality over video or zoom quality if you get me.. :)

Iv heard CMOS is important to have to get all the natural light is that right?

Any help would be great thanks :D

http://www.currys.ie/Product/FUJIFILM-FinePix-S6800-Bridge-Camera/318100/174.2

http://www.currys.ie/Product/PANASONIC-Lumix-DMCLZ30EK-Bridge-Camera/319942/174.2

http://www.currys.ie/Product/NIKON-Coolpix-L320-Bridge-Camera/318005/174.2

if going for a bridge why not go second hand for something like this http://www.adverts.ie/4004074

but if not bothered with a zoom then either 2nd hand Panasonic lx 5 or even a micro 4/3 camera maybe?
    Quick lens fir portraits indoors and wide angle fir landscape (won't buy all for 200 bit can add and add as you go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Hey guys,

Total noob to photography but it's something I got an itch for over the last few weeks.
    I have taken up cycling recently and I always love stopping along whatever route I may be in to take in the beauty of the wonderful countryside around us.
    I would really like to capture some of these scenes on a camera so that I may upload them to flickr/ share with friends/ look back on when I am frail and old and no longer able to cycle.

My budget is between €500 - €1000.

Can anybody recommend me a camera that fits this purpose?
    I wouldn't say no to a good second hand camera either.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mike.Za

Sounds like you need something small that can fit with you on the bike

Really I am a SLR/DLSR man through and through but from the sounds of it a camera that can/will grow with you and fits the bill (also takes amazing pictures) is the Canon G16

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-powershot-g16-digital-camera-black/p1542322

Note that Nikon have an equivalent thats cheaper as well

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-coolpix-p7800-digital-camera-black/p1542850

I am a Nikon man as I find they take better pics but the G16 has a reputation as a formidable compact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Thanks for the reply,

I actually went and got myself a D3100 earlier today. I'm just going to take it out in my backpack when I'm going for spins.

Hoping to take it on it's first outing tomorrow to the Sally Gap.

If I am in the market for a second camera I may just look into that canon.

Awesome,

Get yourself the 35mm 1.8 if you can

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-35mm-f1-8-g-af-s-dx-lens/p1030389

Cheap as chips and the best lens I own,

(Its really a 50mm on your new camera so dont get the 50mm as that will be quite cropped)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

hey guys,

total noob when it comes to this, but want to get the missus an SLR...

my limit is about 300-500 and heres the catch, the retailer has to accept one for all vouchers :D

looking at harvey normans nikon d3100 for around 360 or the same in the camera centre for about 430...

i presume the camera centre is providing a better lens?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

http://www.camera.ie/products/nikon-d3100-free-kit-cashback

http://www.harveynorman.ie/cameras/digital-cameras/digital-slr/product-36288.html

Harveys at 360 looks like a camera body only deal. You can see the camera centre prices per lens packaged. 350 without and 420 with the 18-55.

Also might be worth using your legs! :D

I find while John Gunns dont have a website you can shop from per say they tend to be good bit cheaper than Camera Centre and at times hundreds cheaper than Conns (Recently I was looking for a lens and Cons were + 200 and camera centre +150 on the lens!) They are sharks and rip off merchants.

Gunns will match or better a lot of prices (Ask it cant hurt) an know what they are talking about.

A 5 star experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mike.Za wrote: »
    They are sharks and rip off merchants.

Thats very strong language to use and a little unfair.
    Although I have shopped elsewhere in Dublin as they had been more expensive, I recently bought a new lens there that was the cheapest I could find in Dublin and the same price as Amazon, and also a big stopper that I couldnt find as cheap in Dublin.

I apologise if you take offence to that, that is my opinion from my experience of trying to deal with them.

I guess go were you like dealing with. I wont corrupt people with my preferences! Give it a go and see what you think but shop around is what id advise before you commit :D

Also might be worth using your legs! :D

I find while John Gunns dont have a website you can shop from per say they tend to be good bit cheaper than Camera Centre and at times hundreds cheaper than Conns (Recently I was looking for a lens and Cons were + 200 and camera centre +150 on the lens!) They are sharks and rip off merchants.

Gunns will match or better a lot of prices (Ask it cant hurt) an know what they are talking about.

A 5 star experience!

Madly enough I went for a wander around Camden there today and sure enough I stumbled upon Gunn's. Easily a winner...really nice place and the woman working there was sound! Really helpful.

Anyone ever gone on the Nikon training day? Its cheaper in Gunns but i'll lose the training day...might pick one up another time.

They are all sound! John himself is great to chat to. Really wise guy!

I haven't done any training days. I don't really know if you need them to be honest. Find a good book that explains how old manual cameras work and try and get your paws on an old camera or shoot yours on manual and then you will pick up all the core understanding such as ISO, Aperture, Shutterspeed and Focus. Sometimes its more fun to just have at it and make your own mistakes rather than get taught. Teaching is about rules and dos and dont's. Just do. Who cares if someone says you did it wrong. Its subjective!

Also you could use the money to buy yourself something like the 35mm 1.8 Prime Lens for your Nikon. (Again speak to Cathy in John Gunns, they have them) A serious lens that punches far above its cost!

They are all sound! John himself is great to chat to. Really wise guy!

I haven't done any training days. I don't really know if you need them to be honest. Find a good book that explains how old manual cameras work and try and get your paws on an old camera or shoot yours on manual and then you will pick up all the core understanding such as ISO, Aperture, Shutterspeed and Focus. Sometimes its more fun to just have at it and make your own mistakes rather than get taught. Teaching is about rules and dos and dont's. Just do. Who cares if someone says you did it wrong. Its subjective!

Also you could use the money to buy yourself something like the 35mm 1.8 Prime Lens for your Nikon. (Again speak to Cathy in John Gunns, they have them) A serious lens that punches far above its cost!

See this is all for the missus for xmas.

So I'm going to Gunn's next week to pop down a deposit on the D3100.
    I see there are courses on Groupon the whole time, and sure there's her birthday coming early next year anyway :D

Regarding extras, is there anything essential to getting up and running? The kit is

Nikon D3100
    Image stabilizing lens
    Memory Card
    Case

Anything else?

This UV filter things....are they important?

Getting the lot for around 400 with 25 cash back... which is little over a hundred under budget so i can spend a little more if there is something important you guys would recommend?

I use the UV Filters as a lens protector to stop me poking my fingers on the front element but not overly important.

You'll find she will probably want to take pics of ye(maybe not ;P).

A tripod so she can set it up on timer could be handy. They come in all shapes and sizes. Fiona/Cathy will be able to help you.

Noone wants pics of me :P

Plus living in dublin means this camera will never be away from her neck let alone one a tripod :D

Think I'll grab a filter to protect the lens...seems like a good idea! Thanks a million Mike.za, been a great help.

It's gas you recommended Gunn's just as I stumbled upon the place while literally wandering around dublin

Being honest I wouldn't get a tripod when starting off.
    She can get it down the line if needed.

Maybe a camera bag or a slingshot camera strap (can get very cheap ones on Ebay).
    A few camera magazines for her to browse through and get inspiration?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

El Inho wrote: »
    See this is all for the missus for xmas.

So I'm going to Gunn's next week to pop down a deposit on the D3100.
    I see there are courses on Groupon the whole time, and sure there's her birthday coming early next year anyway :D

Regarding extras, is there anything essential to getting up and running? The kit is

Nikon D3100
    Image stabilizing lens
    Memory Card
    Case

Anything else?

This UV filter things....are they important?

Getting the lot for around 400 with 25 cash back... which is little over a hundred under budget so i can spend a little more if there is something important you guys would recommend?

A book. :D

• Advertisement

I have 'Understanding Exposure' and 'Learning to See creatively' by Bryan Peterson.
    Both seen as great books, recommended by everyone.
    If interested in buying them from me just drop me a PM. For you my friend, good price.

Advertisement