Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

The linesman "seriously injured". My god, man up. It's a cut. FFS.

He falls of his chair and rolls around and looks to the umpire. What an arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Samich wrote: »

wtf, a guy in his 60's gets a full power kick from a pro tennis player. you ever get a kick on the shin? its sore, never mind a wooden board also involved and cutting your shin, grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

+1 to that Samich has some funny (strange) views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The last time I remember a player being disqualified in a Tennis match in Britain was Tim Henman, for accidentally hitting a ball girl.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/henman-and-bates-are-disqualified-in-doubles-1588962.html
    The British doubles pair, Jeremy Bates and Tim Henman, became the first players to be disqualified at Wimbledon in the Open era when they were defaulted last night after Henman accidentally fired a ball into the head of a ball-girl.
    In fading light on court 14, with the British pair leading Jeff Tarango, of the United States, and Henrik Holm, of Sweden, by two sets to one and after three points of play in the fourth set tie-break, the tournament referee, Alan Mills, was called to assist the umpire, Wayne McKewan. The pair were ruled to have committed a code violation and were thrown out of the tournament. The crowd booed the decision and stood in amazement as the players left the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Samich wrote: »

He's a linesman - you do know they don't usually have to wear shin-pads in their line of work? I doubt that he's seriously injured unless he had any underlying problems with his leg, but nevertheless I don't doubt that it was painful.

Simply outrageous behaviour from Nalbandian. It was clearly an outburst at a moment of intense frustration, but blimey, that was more than a bit much. And the commentary team were giving him a lot of credit for getting his game back just yesterday too.

• Advertisement

Brief article about it on the guardian -> http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/17/david-nalbandian-disqualified-aegon-championships. The tournament official quoted in it seems like he would have been happy to have them play on, but as it was a code violation under the ATP rules they had no choice but to disqualify Nalbandian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Daddio wrote: »
    Brief article about it on the guardian -> http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/17/david-nalbandian-disqualified-aegon-championships. The tournament official quoted in it seems like he would have been happy to have them play on, but as it was a code violation under the ATP rules they had no choice but to disqualify Nalbandian.

It would have been madness to carry on the match, irrespective of the ATP rules.

This is not WWE wrestling. There are not many sports where you can attack an official and continue to play on. Tennis should not be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

tumblr_m5rq1e9wlH1qa3nkxo1_500.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Go on Haas you fcuking LEGEND!!!:D

8b9465c50062b5d881bc99132a81abbe-getty-511757854.jpg

Goes to show you can't keep a good man down.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Daddio wrote: »

There was no code violation since it was an accident, he didn't intentionally injure the official. I hope he sues them for this, disgraceful decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

the crowds reaction in that clip above is hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Skid wrote: »
    It would have been madness to carry on the match, irrespective of the ATP rules.

This is not WWE wrestling. There are not many sports where you can attack an official and continue to play on. Tennis should not be one of them.

He didn't attack anyone. He kicked some wood with advertising on, probably thinking it was permanent/semi-permanent and so wouldn't move.

That or he really hates Nike!

I would have assumed it breaks some sort of sportsmanship code or something? Anyway, it's all over now, not much he can do but try to learn to control his temper in future I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

He didn't attack anyone. He kicked some wood with advertising on, probably thinking it was permanent/semi-permanent and so wouldn't move.

That or he really hates Nike!
    Exactly. It couldn't have been put together very well the way it just came apart, kicked by someone wearing tennis shoes. I think the interpretation of that rule by the officials was way off.

In Halle though, they finished their match. Fair play to Haas. He has a great record in finals, and not even the mighty Fed, in effectively his home tournament (I know it's not actually) could stop him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i think his follow through actually does kick the linesman!
    what the hell are people defending him for, its not like he hit the board and it flew in the air 10meters and hit the guy. the linesman was about a foot away from him and the board was small, so obvious it could break, hardly made of reineforced steel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Nothing like a bit of drama to show non-tennis fans that tennis isn't actually boring!:pac:

Shocking stuff from Nalbandian! You can understand getting frustrated but do it away from other people. Whack yourself with your racquet á la Youzhny!

Yeah I get that it was sore, but why did he need to look up at the umpire, fall off his seat and roll around.

Was like a soccer player complaining to the referee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18479244

Disgusting nazi run police state ...

F*ck off and your PC bullsh*t ... the guy made a mistake, he didn't mean to
    kick the guy, he was defaulted - thats enough ... MOVE ON .. GET OVER it ...

That linesman needs a kick in the nuts. What a whinger.

Looks to the umpire, then falls off his seat and rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,123 ✭✭✭✭walshb

adamski8 wrote: »
    wtf, a guy in his 60's gets a full power kick from a pro tennis player. you ever get a kick on the shin? its sore, never mind a wooden board also involved and cutting your shin, grow up.

The slightest bang on the shin is very painful. Pure bone with the thinnest covering of flesh for protection. Sore is an understatement. Extremely sore.

• Advertisement

Shin Gate aside, Melanie Oudin beat Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 6-2 to win at Edgbaston earlier today.

You might remember her as the American who reached the U.S. Open quarter finals back in 2009 then went AWOL since. She's also gotten a wild card to Wimbledon.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

here we are again in between slams...olympics next but 1000 series is off to Toronto in august..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

The olympics is gonna be so HYPE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Cant wait for the Olympics with all the top players available- well hope Nadal recovers from his knee problem. It is just like Wimbledon 2012 part 2.

It will also be interesting because in the olympics, they are representing their respective countries with all the nationalistic pride that goes with it. Obviously like Wimby, Murray would again have the most support but you can bet that other top players would have their own relative share of supporters because of the nature of the tournament.

It will be the first Olympic tennis I would be following intensely so I dont know how the seeding and pairings are done- I would imagine it is similar to the GS tourneys.

Intriguing that the top 4 of the last olympics in 2008 still remain the same four years later.

Juan Monaco will break the Top 10 on Monday after winning his third ATP World Tour title of the season .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Nadal is definitely out then.

Like Wimbledon it will make someone of the top 4's draw a lot easier.

Andy Roddick defeated Gilles Muller in the BB&T Atlanta Open final 1-6, 7-6, 6-2. This is Roddick's 32nd career title & his 2nd this season.

Dominika Cibulkova beat Marion Bartoli in straight sets 6-1, 7-5 at the Mercury Insurance Open in Carlsbad. It's the Slovak's 2nd career title after her victory in Moscow last year.

Polona Hercog defended her Sony Swedish Open title in Bastad; she defeated Mathilde Johansson 0-6, 6-4, 7-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

RosyLily wrote: »
    Andy Roddick defeated Gilles Muller in the BB&T Atlanta Open final 1-6, 7-6, 6-2. This is Roddick's 32nd career title & his 2nd this season.

Dominika Cibulkova beat Marion Bartoli in straight sets 6-1, 7-5 at the Mercury Insurance Open in Carlsbad. It's the Slovak's 2nd career title after her victory in Moscow last year.

Polona Hercog defended her Sony Swedish Open title in Bastad; she defeated Mathilde Johansson 0-6, 6-4, 7-5.

Great to see lil Domi win another title Met her 2/3 yrs ago in restaurant in Paris, really nice girl so happy and friendly. We were having a laugh as to who wud be smallest her or the waitress...Domi was a bit taller, and she was delighted!

Rafael Nadal is going to play next ATP tournament at the Cincinnati Masters 11th August..

• Advertisement

Read on Sky Sports text that Venus Williams has the 2016 Rio Olympics in her sights. She hopes to be able to play there, along with Serena.

Not completely crazy. If she gets her Sjogren's under control, it's possible. She's already a pro at managing her schedule. If she doesn't qualify, she's bound to receive a wildcard.

I didn't know that Venus has singles gold and Serena doesn't. Only realised that when I read an article about them. I'm sure Serena will look to remedy this in London.:)

Advertisement